Power Pack: then and now

Posted by Esper Ranger 
Power Pack: then and now
February 04, 2012 11:16AM
Are there any character stats for the Power Pack group? Both the original and the current more grown up versions?

When was the last time they appeared in a comic anyway?

Reality is a crutch for those who are unable to handle fantasy.
Re: Power Pack: then and now
February 04, 2012 11:27PM
Power Pack should be in the Gamers Handbook (a very simple write-up though), at least their classic versions. Nothing about what's been done to them since.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
FTJ
February 05, 2012 08:48AM
As for where they are now, check out the pages of FF. Alex Power is a full-time member of the Future Foundation, and the preview artwork of FF #15 shows the rest of Power Pack (though I don't know if they're joining the FF or just making a guest appearance).

I miss Gene.

All-New Future Force (BASH! UE)
Marvel MC2 builds for BASH! Ultimate Edition

"Now, before I slay you all, behold my master plan!" — The Mole Man, Fantastic Four #1
February 05, 2012 10:57AM
FTJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As for where they are now, check out the pages of
> FF. Alex Power is a full-time member of the Future
> Foundation, and the preview artwork of FF #15
> shows the rest of Power Pack (though I don't know
> if they're joining the FF or just making a guest
> appearance).

I really felt sorry for Power Pack, after their title ended they were better off in limbo instead of suffering 'Marvel angst' and the sad 'hey we can't have them be happy and normal that's not DEEP', just like they ruined Slapstick and Speedball. Better to be forgotten than show back up just to be wrecked by talentless hacks rehashing the same tired 'slap on some misery' writing.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
February 05, 2012 02:21PM
Like the youngest could be killed and the rest become bad guys seeing that "doing the right thing" doesn't always work. The oldest can have a guilt trip and even develope split personality, the oldest girl can become a hooker and lure "victims" to the Power Pack gang. And their vocab can be all street lingo.

Yea, you have a great idea there!!!

PS the youngest not really dead, just snatched away by that Nanny dude, LOL
February 05, 2012 07:28PM
MajorSteel Wrote:
> Like the youngest could be killed and the rest
> become bad guys seeing that "doing the right
> thing" doesn't always work. The oldest can have a
> guilt trip and even develope split personality,
> the oldest girl can become a hooker and lure
> "victims" to the Power Pack gang. And their vocab
> can be all street lingo.
>
> Yea, you have a great idea there!!!
>
> PS the youngest not really dead, just snatched
> away by that Nanny dude, LOL

Yeah, the last thing I'm interested in is more of the 'only evil had unshakeable commitment and all good people eventually fail and turn evil because good is weak' stories we see and have seen for nearly 20 years now. Particularly when coupled with 'growing up means giving up on hopeful ideals and seeing that everything's grey and black as only children have hopes and believe in the whiteness of good' morally bankrupt aesops.

-- Peter David

February 06, 2012 02:22PM
Nightmask Wrote:

> Yeah, the last thing I'm interested in is more of
> the 'only evil had unshakeable commitment and all
> good people eventually fail and turn evil because
> good is weak' stories we see and have seen for
> nearly 20 years now.

Yeeesh. Apparently my hiatus from all things comics wasn't necessarily a bad thing :\

FASERIPPED! A play-by-post Marvel adventure

Write-ups: Rottweiler, Hardknox, The Outcasts, Kaela, Magua, The Human Fly

"Don't over think any weapons or powers too much. Try to keep it simple and implement House Rules where you think situations don't make sense, or if the Books don't provide enough details" - TankerAce

"Some rules are just very bad, very poorly thought out, and should simply be discarded because of how completely illogical they are." - Nightmask
February 06, 2012 07:22PM
Relic Wrote:
> Nightmask Wrote:
>
> > Yeah, the last thing I'm interested in is more
> of
> > the 'only evil had unshakeable commitment and
> all
> > good people eventually fail and turn evil
> because
> > good is weak' stories we see and have seen for
> > nearly 20 years now.
>
> Yeeesh. Apparently my hiatus from all things
> comics wasn't necessarily a bad thing :\

Whether the writers intend it that way or not (and seems like they do) that's sadly the kind of thing that they're pushing. Only the villains get to be true and unwavering to their cause, never the heroes. You see heroes who're pushing issues of devotion to good moral behavior being revealed as anything but and worse doing things in complete violation of all that they stand for (Xavier enslaving a sentient Danger Room, Spider-man abrogating his responsibilities to deal with Mephisto). Especially sad when someone like Punisher ends up being shown more controlled and heroic in comparison, being uncompromising when it comes to targeting just the worst of humanity (other than his character derailments by idiot writers, such as gunning down two villains right in front of Captain America during Civil War WHILE declaring how he respects Cap so much he wouldn't dream of fighting back).

-- Peter David

February 07, 2012 06:27AM
Nightmask Wrote:
---------------------------------------
> Whether the writers intend it that way or not (and
> seems like they do) that's sadly the kind of thing
> that they're pushing.

Societal evolution (or arguably devolution) as a whole I guess, considering comics are just a thread of the entertainment industry web and you think about how other forms like television shows, movies and video games have also followed a similar path.

FASERIPPED! A play-by-post Marvel adventure

Write-ups: Rottweiler, Hardknox, The Outcasts, Kaela, Magua, The Human Fly

"Don't over think any weapons or powers too much. Try to keep it simple and implement House Rules where you think situations don't make sense, or if the Books don't provide enough details" - TankerAce

"Some rules are just very bad, very poorly thought out, and should simply be discarded because of how completely illogical they are." - Nightmask
February 07, 2012 07:44AM
A large part of how these items turn - comic stories, films, books, etc. - actually rests with us. Archie doesn't sell as well as Wolverine...and neither did Speedball. Hamfat - Wolverine is arguably more popular than Spider-man at this point.

Batman certainly has the edge on Superman - and that can be traced back to GREAT material (even though it's dark) in The Dark Knight Returns. Could this be due to how we view the world as a consuming public? Likely. Can it be turned? I feel it can.

I definately feel that Comics can be a refuge - and I'd like to see them become a positively themed refuge. I'm not saying I agree with the GI Joe cartoon examples where you have 30 Joes vs. 30 Cobras on a tennis court and nobody loses even a drop of sweat, but it would be nice to have folks like The Power Pack have great, outstanding adult lives. I agree with the angst of the X-Men alumni due to the nature of the whole ride from the Chris Claremont era, but most of The Avengers and Fantastic Four shouldn't be in that dark valley in my personal opinion.
February 07, 2012 10:25AM
Relic Wrote:
> Nightmask Wrote:
> ---------------------------------------
> > Whether the writers intend it that way or not
> (and
> > seems like they do) that's sadly the kind of
> thing
> > that they're pushing.
>
> Societal evolution (or arguably devolution) as a
> whole I guess, considering comics are just a
> thread of the entertainment industry web and you
> think about how other forms like television shows,
> movies and video games have also followed a
> similar path.

True, slasher films and films that make Dirty Harry look like the campy Batman movie are way too popular anymore. Frankly I'd rather they were doing adult stuff, at least sex is a natural thing and we'd be a lot better off depicting nice happy sex than all the violence. I mean I can still remember when that locked out sex scene in GTA: SA was discovered due to people using patches to access it and a grandmother suing Walmart over it after she bought it for her grandson. She had no problems with a game that had as its theme violent murder and brutal muggings that were the available features, no her problem was with a scene you couldn't even play unless you basically hacked the game to get at it and was never made available in the legally purchased game.

-- Peter David

February 10, 2012 02:20PM
Nightmask Wrote:
> FTJ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > As for where they are now, check out the pages
> of
> > FF. Alex Power is a full-time member of the
> Future
> > Foundation, and the preview artwork of FF #15
> > shows the rest of Power Pack (though I don't
> know
> > if they're joining the FF or just making a
> guest
> > appearance).
>
> I really felt sorry for Power Pack, after their
> title ended they were better off in limbo instead
> of suffering 'Marvel angst' and the sad 'hey we
> can't have them be happy and normal that's not
> DEEP', just like they ruined Slapstick and
> Speedball. Better to be forgotten than show back
> up just to be wrecked by talentless hacks
> rehashing the same tired 'slap on some misery'
> writing.

None of that stuff happened to Power Pack. As FTJ mentioned, Alex was handpicked by Reed Richards as one of the up and coming minds that will help shape the future. Julie's a student-teacher over in Avengers Academy.

...no one would really be surprised if Jack had spent some time in juvie...to my knowledge, he hasn't but still. Most likely to take a few wrong turns right there...but also most likely (imo) lead a team outside of the pack.

And Katie will stay the same age as Franklin, Artie, and Leech forever
February 15, 2012 04:17PM
Wow this has gotten pretty deep. I was just hoping to find out if the Power Pack had gotten more powerful as they had aged (and if there was a stat block for them). Oh well. Guess I can make stuff up on my own.

February 22, 2012 11:35PM
[www.angelfire.com]

Thats the wrietup Ben did and his are usually pretty good.

Formerly YourHumbleServant

2 things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the universe ~Albert Einstein

People who advocate foolish or dangerous ideas should not be forcibly silenced, but only as a testament to the greatness of the principle of liberty, NOT because the ideas they advocate have any merit whatsoever. ~Thomas Jefferson

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience ~ Mark Twain

Lady Gaga makes Miley Cyrus look like John Lennon ~ Chris Titus

Government that is big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have..History shows that as government grows..liberty decreases. ~ Thomas Jefferson
February 28, 2012 10:16AM
I use an adult Power Pack (with Kofi, Franklin, and Valeria) as the heirs to the Fantastic Four, Fantastic Force, in my future Marvel campaign. For the most part, I increased their primary abilities as fitting, up to +2CS, and refined their powers through power stunts. As a side note, the original New Warriors have become the Avengers and the original New Mutants (plus Kitty Pryde) are now the X-Men. Wolverine is headmaster of Xavier's, which has expanded and gone public, with Jubilee as his second in command. I used some of the M2 universe as young heroes making their names (Spider-Girl, Thunderstrike, American Dream) although I changed many things about them. Darkhawk has become more streetcrime oriented ala Daredevil. Sadly, we quit playing before I fully fleshed out the world.
February 28, 2012 11:03AM
bayke Wrote:
> I use an adult Power Pack (with Kofi, Franklin,
> and Valeria) as the heirs to the Fantastic Four,
> Fantastic Force, in my future Marvel campaign. For
> the most part, I increased their primary abilities
> as fitting, up to +2CS, and refined their powers
> through power stunts. As a side note, the original
> New Warriors have become the Avengers and the
> original New Mutants (plus Kitty Pryde) are now
> the X-Men. Wolverine is headmaster of Xavier's,
> which has expanded and gone public, with Jubilee
> as his second in command. I used some of the M2
> universe as young heroes making their names
> (Spider-Girl, Thunderstrike, American Dream)
> although I changed many things about them.
> Darkhawk has become more streetcrime oriented ala
> Daredevil. Sadly, we quit playing before I fully
> fleshed out the world.

I like those ideas. Its kind of like Marvel - The End...LOL...i would love for you to post your adult power pack stats
February 28, 2012 01:20PM
infinite76 Wrote:

> I like those ideas. Its kind of like Marvel - The
> End...LOL...i would love for you to post your
> adult power pack stats

Ditto. Post stats plz. K thnx. :p

I don't think I've ever seen the stats for Kofi anyway.

February 28, 2012 04:43PM
bayke Wrote:
> I use an adult Power Pack (with Kofi, Franklin,
> and Valeria) as the heirs to the Fantastic Four,
> Fantastic Force, in my future Marvel campaign. For
> the most part, I increased their primary abilities
> as fitting, up to +2CS, and refined their powers
> through power stunts. As a side note, the original
> New Warriors have become the Avengers and the
> original New Mutants (plus Kitty Pryde) are now
> the X-Men. Wolverine is headmaster of Xavier's,
> which has expanded and gone public, with Jubilee
> as his second in command. I used some of the M2
> universe as young heroes making their names
> (Spider-Girl, Thunderstrike, American Dream)
> although I changed many things about them.
> Darkhawk has become more streetcrime oriented ala
> Daredevil. Sadly, we quit playing before I fully
> fleshed out the world.

One of our former members had a more adult version of the Power Pack in his campaign (at least for the survivors), but we never got to see much of it before the game was abruptly canceled. The girls ended up at what remained of the X-mansion after nearly all the X-men were slaughtered in back-story (apparently the GM hated those X-men ESPECIALLY Cyclops), Alex ended up dead and the forth ended up working for the mutant terrorist organization responsible for that game verse's version of 9/11.

-- Peter David

February 29, 2012 05:26AM
I'll see if I can find them. If not, I'll try to rework them from memory.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 8
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.