Marvel Zombies write-up

Posted by Michael Garrity 
Marvel Zombies write-up
January 31, 2009 05:20PM
Greetings, fellow Marvelites:

Back on the old board, there was an excellent writeup on the nature, causes, effects, etc of the Marvel Zombies virus. That article has since disappeared. I would greatly appreciate it if that article were to be recovered and posted someplace permanent, like in the 'Creation' column

Mike Garrity
Re: Marvel Zombies write-up
January 31, 2009 05:26PM
Thats a good idea!
February 01, 2009 01:37AM
Is this what you're looking for?

Dead Sidekick's Multiversal Table: [i540.photobucket.com]

My Canon Character Toybox: [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

The 126 Schools of Unarmed Ass-Whoopin': [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
February 01, 2009 04:23PM
Dead Sidekick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this what you're looking for?

LOL you didnt add a link! the finger smiley
February 01, 2009 04:50PM
yes I did... click on the word "this"

(or click [www.classicmarvelforever.com] )

Dead Sidekick's Multiversal Table: [i540.photobucket.com]

My Canon Character Toybox: [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

The 126 Schools of Unarmed Ass-Whoopin': [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
February 01, 2009 11:30PM
"this" looked black on my screen, couldnt tell it was a link.
February 02, 2009 04:36AM
Dead Sidekick:

No, I am afraid not. The writeup on the virus was quite techincal, listing such things as the intelligence level needed to possibly come up with a cure (MN).

MIke
February 02, 2009 05:09AM
So Thanos could have cured it... I wonder if he'd have even bothered.
February 02, 2009 02:09PM
Punstarr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So Thanos could have cured it... I wonder if he'd
> have even bothered.

Given Thanos worships Death and the zombie virus tends to trap one in undeath like vampirism does I'd say he'd either look to cure it or destroy Earth to eliminate the infection so it wouldn't spread.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
April 08, 2009 07:29AM
I wrote one up on the forums a year and a half ago. Lemme see if I still have it somewhere.

Jack's MSH Blog: [jackolanternsmshblog.blogspot.com]

www.ProjectCrusaders.com
April 08, 2009 07:46AM
Well, hell.

The old Phorum still has the post? Here is the original phorum thread:
[www.classicmarvelforever.com]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 04:27AM by The_Skycutter.
April 08, 2009 11:16AM
thejackolantern,

> The old Phorum still has the post?

The old forum has been completely restored thanks to The Skycutter: Archive Forum

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 04:30AM by The_Skycutter.
April 09, 2009 02:42AM
Don't know if this is what you were looking for or not, but I wrote this a while ago on the old forum:
My take on the Marvel Zombie plague:

The plague itself:

Stated to be extraterrestrial in origin (Army of Darkness vs. Marvel Zombies) the 'zombie' plague is a morphological virus which has severe psychological components. Brought to Marvel Earth 2149 by Magneto and Fabian Cortez, the carrier ( a version of Sentry) immediately infected the Avengers, who then began systematically devouring and spreading the plague to the metahuman community. Within three days, the entire planet's metahuman population (with very few exceptions) were affected, and the planetary population was reduced to a handful of survivors.

How the plague works:

The Plague is spread through fluid contact with the virus, requiring very little contact to immediately infect a hero or villain. A simple scratch can affect a hero within minutes (As seen in Marvel Zombies: Dead Days). The plague then begins to alter the individual's biochemistry, causing them to vomit up blood and other organic materials while it replaces them. Within minutes of introduction, the individual's physiology is altered to the point of no return, shutting down the healing and regenerative properties of the human body, arresting decomposition and cellular activity. In essence, the individual is dead, with continued brain function and partial digestive adaptability.

Within seconds that the physical symptoms have stopped, a psychological component begins to take effect, creating a psychosomatic element that creates great pain in the individual unless the individual consumes the flesh of the living. The pain subsides for minutes or seconds, but returns within one to six hours with greater intensity, lessening the time in which the consumption of flesh sates the pain. During this period, the individual's primary concern will be to sate the hunger, and will abandon any previous connections to family, friends, and allies in order to stop the pain. (As seen with Spider Man in Marvel Zombies: Dead Days when he ate Aunt May and Mary Jane).

If the individual can go without devouring anyone for a significant length of time, the hunger will abate and finally disappear, restoring the individual's personality to their 'normal' level, albeit with full memories of what they have done.

Game Mechanics:

For the purposes of the game, an individual is infected when they are exposed directly to the virus via an infected person, usually through bite. Once the hero is bitten, the following occures:

The hero must immediately make an Endurance FEAT against +2cs of their current Endurance. The FEAT is to determine the length of time before they themselves become infected. Androids and Robots do not need to make such a FEAT, nor do any heroes whose state is considered 'unliving'.

Regeneration, Recovery, resistance to Disease, or any healing abilities cannot arrest the plague once infected.

Depending on the FEAT result, the following time-frame is used to determine how much time a hero has before they turn:

-White: Immediate conversion within the same round of infection
- Green: 1 round before the conversion occurs
- Yellow: 1 to 10 minutes before the conversion occurs
- Red: 1 hour before the conversion occurs.

Note: Once the conversion occurs, the hero immediately begins to suffer the psychological need to feed:

- Heroes can resist the psychological compulsion by making a Red Psyche FEAT at - 2cs.
- Heroes lose all Karma once the conversion occurs.
- Heroes will immediately attack and consume those immediately nearby with intent on killing and devouring.

Once a hero undergoes conversion, they immediately become NPCs (unless your judge is running a Marvel Zombies campaign...ewwww)

The hero immediately loses any regeneration/healing abilities, and begin to slowly decompose. They retain their intellect and skills, as well as most of their additional powers. If their powers utilize something akin to worthiness or noble actions, they immediately lose access to them.

In addition, individuals gain the following:
- Unliving state: The infected do not feel pain, except for the hunger, and as such can even suffer dismemberment without even slowing down. As such, they cannot be killed through conventional means, such as complete molecular destruction or full destruction of the brain. The brain is the key component that drives the infected, and it must be completely destroyed to stop the infected. The infected can survive any condition including beheading (As seen in Marvel Zombies 2, issue 1) and do not require anything to continue to exist, save to stave off the hunger. In essence, the infected are immortal, remorseless beings who are parodies of their former selves.

- The hunger: The relentless drive that the infected suffer. At any time, the infected can try to resist the hunger, by making a series of Red Psyche FEATs. The first FEAT is to stop from devouring, requiring a Red Psyche FEAT at -2cs. If successful, the infected can resist the hunger for up to one hour, allowing them to be incarcerated or held in a detoxification center. The next FEAT is a Red FEAT at -4cs which will allow the Infected to resist the hunger through the worst parts of the addiction. The final Red Psyche FEAT is at -6cs, which is the worst part of the addiction. Should the infected manage to make the FEATS, they will overcome the hunger, and therefore, can be warily treated like the heroes they once were...however...

Should an infected ever devour a living being again, they immediately resort to the creatures they have become, requiring them to undergo the process again.

A Cure?

At this moment, there is no known cure for the Zombie Plague. It is reasoned that a cure would require both Mn (75) and above Reason and Mn (75) and above resources with additional talents to develop a cure or vaccine. Neither Mr. Fantastic or Doctor Doom came close to uncovering a solution to the plague, and agreed that fleeing the Earth was a better solution. If a cure was possible, it would have to be administered PRIOR to full conversion into an infected, during the first stages of exposure. Once the infection has set in, it is nearly impossible to reverse it, requiring nothing short of reality alteration.

Jack's MSH Blog: [jackolanternsmshblog.blogspot.com]

www.ProjectCrusaders.com
April 09, 2009 05:30AM
Good write up, and accurate based on the comics... but this part always bugged me.

Regeneration, Recovery, resistance to Disease, or any healing abilities cannot arrest the plague once infected.

That in my opinion was a fallacy on the part of the writers. Characters with Class 1000 resistance to Disease should straight up be immune to the virus. But that was all ignored for the sake of ridiculous camp.

April 09, 2009 06:19AM
Agreed, or my favorite problem with the virus is how could it affect the Vision? The Vision was shown multiple times with the zombies....talk about peer pressure....
April 14, 2009 12:37PM
I would not think enough is known to combat healing factors. In terms of resistance to the disease if a character has a higher rank than the rank of the virus than they should be immune or a carrier, depending on the scenario. This is one of those all-out death campaigns. While it's interesting, I find it far more interesting using a Resident Evil scenario, where as the characters involved had a chance to not only combat infection wide-spread but aren't so easily forced into an unliving.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee
April 15, 2009 03:43AM
Well, I was thinking more of what occurred during Marvel Zombies 1, when it was clear that even those with enhanced resistance or healing factors succumbed. Wolverine commented how it had shut his down, and he was forced after attacking the Silver Surfer to remove his own arm as the ligaments and tendons tore free of the skeleton. The Juggernaut was also shown to be infected, which leads me to believe that the virus either halves resistance to it or bypasses them completely.

I like the Resident Evil approach with the T-Virus, and I agree, not enough is known about the 'Zombie Virus' to really understand how it works. The rules seem to be broken down more like '28 Days later'. One of the things that struck me later was that those infected sought to devour humans and infect other superhumans to ensure the virus itself. Within three days of the first infection, it wiped out the entire superhuman community on Earth with only two exceptions: the Black Panther who was used as a food source and Magneto who was devoured.
April 19, 2009 12:56PM
Jack-o-lantern:

That was exactly the write-up I was looking for. Please post it in the 'Creation' column, so that it doesn't disappear again. The write-up states that "....regeneration, recovery, resistance to disease or any healing ability cannot arrest the plague once infected". I would add the following to address how those who have invulnerability or high levels of body resistance gets infected in the first place.

In order for a character who has invulnerability, body armor or high levels of body resistance to become infected, the attack which delivers the virus has to bypass such protection. For example, if a battlesuited character has armor of Am/50 protective ability, the attack would have to pierce the armor and cause a wound of some sort. A character with Mn/75 body resistance would have to be injured by an attack of greater than Mn/75 strength to be infected. In the case of Juggernaut, his forcefield is CL3000-ranked. The only way for him to have gotten infected is for the force field to have been down.

Another question which occurs to me is how the power level of a character affects the chances of becoming infected. In Marvel Zombies 2, Dark Phoenix says she was too powerful to become infected, but turned because she wanted to.

Mike Garrity

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 9
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.