Big Plans for the Site

Posted by ThatArtGuy 
Big Plans for the Site
December 13, 2013 10:58AM
Hello, all. I hope you all are doing well this Holiday Season. Lots of preparations, and hopefully lots of celebrations for you all later this month. I sincerely wish that everyone has a great experience this time of year.

The reason for my post is because of recent conversations I have had with Skycutter. We were talking about how the site is starting to really show its age. We also talked about how a lot of the great content on the site is almost hidden from view due to the old style navigation bar. Additional conversations were about the new content Skycutter and I have to post, but don’t have a way to properly showcase. He wants everyone to easily share what is to be offered. We want to encourage people to share their ideas and to share new content on the site and not worry about it being unseen.

Essentially, we have determined that a new site design that’s easier to navigate, and much, much simpler to use is needed. Don’t worry. The old site would completely be archived and available to all. It won’t be going anywhere.

Skycutter pays $200 out of his pocket, per year, to keep this site running and contributed a lot more to fix the existing code and archive the old message board. This is a service he provides to people for free because he is passionate about the game and he is more than happy to do it. I truly commend him for this, because he hasn’t asked for anything in return.

A few years ago, Skycutter discreetly set up a donation link on the front page to hopefully help offset the cost of the site. Over the last five years, he literally has received less than $25 in total donations and the majority of that came from children that really liked the site.

Think about that for a moment.

This site is a great resource for many people, and has a good community. The upgrade would be a huge benefit for everyone. Currently, the site has over 850 users with over 100 active posters. I recently learned that an upgrade would cost him $1000, if Skycutter chose to do so. I know that he is adverse to asking for donations, so I have taken it upon myself to do so. I would like to urge those of you who are able, to please show your support in this endeavor. A contribution of $10 alone from active users would cover the expense. (I hope lurkers show their support as well.) We have more content coming and are eager to share it with all of you. It would be awesome to see it on a site that runs faster, sleeker and more intuitively, thus encouraging new members while retaining existing ones.

Let’s support our community and elevate this site by contributing what we can through the donation link. Every little bit helps. My wife (who doesn’t play, but sees the value of the site) and I are donating $10 each to get the ball rolling. We hope that others share our appreciation for this resource and offer their support.

Thanks for your time. Let’s make this site bigger and better.

ThatArtGuy
Re: Big Plans for the Site
December 13, 2013 11:33AM
How about a link for that donation thing eye rolling smiley

G-Core
The Modern FASERIP!
[www.dillygreenbeangames.com]
December 13, 2013 12:09PM
darkforce Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about a link for that donation thing eye rolling smiley

Like he said it's on the front page, so go 'home' and it's down near the bottom.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
December 13, 2013 12:35PM
I'm planning on seeking the Donation Button, but my advice would be (and pardon the blunt language here):

Put the DONATE button on the Home Page so that a person does NOT have to scroll down in order to even see it.

You don't have to have the button be oversize or neon colored or flashing (aaaack!) or anything, but you SHOULD have the button be visible without any visitors needing to shift their view of the page to even be aware that it's there.

I speak only for myself but I was completely unaware that any such donation button even existed because all the attention-grabbing Site Section Headers appear at the top of the Home Page when it first loads into the browser--"Ooooo, look--everything I need is here...why scroll for anything???" ::clicks to go to ~~whatever!!::

Now...I'm off to give a very deserving guy a Christmas present...

8)

P.S. I wish I could give you more, Skycutter, but I'm on disability. However, you still deserve something from everyone here. Merry Christmas!
December 13, 2013 01:33PM
Hoot, Done!!

If our goal is a $1000, post mile markers if possible?
December 13, 2013 02:26PM
I am sorry I have not contributed financially yet. I promise to do that when I can.

"Most regular superhero books are designed to go on forever; of course, very few of them do, but the point is they are trying to throw mud against the wall and hope it will stick, and most of it slides off." Garth Ennis.
December 13, 2013 02:26PM
Duh. Yep I see it.

Sorry winking smiley
December 13, 2013 02:28PM
I don't know if I'll be able to donate with coding grunt work.

Also, I am curious about the $1000 upgrade. Is this for upgraded forum software? If so, I may have some ideas to cut this significantly.

December 14, 2013 06:21AM
You make good points about the donation button. Also, Skycutter is the only one that will be able to give updates as he is the only one that sees the donations that are being applied. Hopefully, he can do that for us. Don't worry about how much you can contribute. Any amount is helpful, and greatly appreciated.

If anyone needs a link to the donation button it is located here (Scroll to the bottom):

Classic Marvel Home Page

I couldn't make a direct link due to the graphic nature of the button, and the direct nature of the Paypal website.

Thanks again.

TAG
December 14, 2013 02:34PM
Threw $10 your way, Classicmarvelforever.com is a daily stop. I'd hate to see it go and love to see it easily updatable, So we can have all of our cool create a characters added to the official site.
December 14, 2013 08:45PM
We're on a roll!!
Nothing comes cheap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2013 04:14PM by The_Skycutter.
December 14, 2013 11:54PM
Gave you some too. I honestly thought I had done so before.
December 15, 2013 02:15PM
First and foremost I would like to thank everyone that is donating to the reconstruction of the site! smoking smiley

Now lets put to rest some questions and fears that I have received the last few days; there is no need to worry over the status of this site, I just want to give the web site a total restoration for the Forum alumni members and Visitors to the site alike.

My overall plan and direction for the web site is to make it more accessible and user friendly for us all. Recently the forum was updated by Kevin increasing its speed efficiency, modifying the CMS Profile Manager on the forum page on the navigation bar, adding a stronger Spam Filter, and not to mention updating the Links section which was long overdue; it was then that I realized that the database, functionality, and appearance of the web site had to be seriously updated for the site itself to grow.

The site essentially has been frozen in time sense its reboot 5 years ago and it is just time to make it more modern, all suggestions are welcome.

Tomorrow I will be posting in this topic were we are with donations for the revamp so everyone can see the exact numbers for this goal.

I would also like to take this time to mention that ThatArtGuy and I have personally started to redo the PDF resource books in the download section, so give a thank you shout-out to TAG in the forum for all of his hard work in this endeavor.

On Christmas Eve I will be posting in the Forum all of the recently rescanned MU Books....

The Cutter

December 15, 2013 07:06PM
The_Skycutter Wrote:
> First and foremost I would like to thank everyone
> that is donating to the reconstruction of the
> site! smoking smiley
>
> Now lets put to rest some questions and fears that
> I have received the last few days; there is no
> need to worry over the status of this site, I just
> want to give the web site a total restoration for
> the Forum alumni members and Visitors to the site
> alike.
>
> My overall plan and direction for the web site is
> to make it more accessible and user friendly for
> us all. Recently the forum was updated by Kevin
> increasing its speed efficiency, modifying the CMS
> Profile Manager on the forum page on the
> navigation bar, adding a stronger Spam Filter, and
> not to mention updating the Links section which
> was long overdue; it was then that I realized that
> the database, functionality, and appearance of the
> web site had to be seriously updated for the site
> itself to grow.
>
> The site essentially has been frozen in time sense
> its reboot 5 years ago and it is just time to make
> it more modern, all suggestions are welcome.
>
> Tomorrow I will be posting in this topic were we
> are with donations for the revamp so everyone can
> see the exact numbers for this goal.
>
> I would also like to take this time to mention
> that ThatArtGuy and I have personally started to
> redo the PDF resource books in the download
> section, so give a thank you shout-out to TAG in
> the forum for all of his hard work in this
> endeavor.
>
> On Christmas Eve I will be posting in the Forum
> all of the recently rescanned MU Books....
>
>
>
> The Cutter

the finger smiley hot smiley smileys with beer

In other words...SQUEEEEEEEEE...!
December 15, 2013 08:33PM
I LOVE this site and would hate to see it go, that being said I would absolutely love to see it upgraded and even better than before. As soon as extra revenue comes my way, it'll be coming your way as well. smileys with beer

~This is an imaginary story (which may never happen, but then again may) about a perfect man who came from the sky and did only good...
December 16, 2013 07:27AM
Here is the current activity on the donations for the web site restoration, I do really appreciate it; every little bit helps to reach our goal.

If any forum member would like there username removed when I post the activity toward our goal, please just let me know by Private Message, and I will leave their name blank.

The Cutter

December 16, 2013 01:09PM
Nice to see the site moving forward and stuff happening. I also did not know there was a donate button or i would have donated long ago. I will head there now and rectify that as soon as possible

"See what we learned today Mr. Scruffy? Solve a man's problems with violence help him for a day. TEACH a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a life time!" - Belkar Bitterleaf to Mr. Scruffy the cat

"Just because you post a lot doesn't mean you know what the hell you're talking about" - Me

"I say a lot of things sometimes that don't come out right, And I act like I don't know why I guess a reaction is all I was looking for. You looked through me, you really knew me like no one has EVER looked before. Baby on your own you take a cautious step, Do you wanna give it up?" Shine - Mr. Big

"Nothing's forgotten. Nothing's ever Forgotten" Robin of Locksley

Snake Eyes is Batman if Batman used an Uzi and Trench Knives when he wanted to be LESS dangerous. - Brotherless One
FNG
December 16, 2013 01:38PM
Hi,

Sorry, never seen the donation section as my bookmark is straight into the forum and ignores the home page

I know it seems tacky but is it worth making the donation section a perm bit on each page regardless?

ta

FNG

PS keep up the good work!
December 16, 2013 01:44PM
December 17, 2013 04:22AM
Current activity on donations for the web site restoration.

Thank you FNG & barna10 for your suggestions, keep ideas for the renovation of the site coming. How about a new color scheme look for the appearance of the web site?

The Cutter

December 17, 2013 07:06AM
IMO, the colors are fine. The site stands out compared to anything else out there. I'd keep the scheme but update the framework. Not sure what engine you're running, but I'd highly suggest MyBB or something similar. It's a more modern interface, free, and there are no licensing concerns.

December 17, 2013 07:32AM
The site currently runs on Phorum.

We have not yet looked into changing the Phorum software to something else like phpBB, but if we do, we could end up starting from scratch, and having another archived forum. Ideally, there'd be a good way to port everything over, but I wouldn't know without checking into it first.

Some functionality could change as well, because some stuff has been custom-coded based on feedback and requests from users. We'd probably be starting over with all that, too.

Kevin M. Frey
Owner / Technical Consultant
TransEffect LLC

TransEffect LLC
December 17, 2013 07:36AM
Phorum is open source as well. No reason to change a thing there. Carry on....lol.

A die roller would be nice to facilitate PBP games.

December 17, 2013 08:33AM
There is already a die roller built into the chat function. Though having instructions posted for its use on the chat page moght be helpful

"See what we learned today Mr. Scruffy? Solve a man's problems with violence help him for a day. TEACH a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a life time!" - Belkar Bitterleaf to Mr. Scruffy the cat

"Just because you post a lot doesn't mean you know what the hell you're talking about" - Me

"I say a lot of things sometimes that don't come out right, And I act like I don't know why I guess a reaction is all I was looking for. You looked through me, you really knew me like no one has EVER looked before. Baby on your own you take a cautious step, Do you wanna give it up?" Shine - Mr. Big

"Nothing's forgotten. Nothing's ever Forgotten" Robin of Locksley

Snake Eyes is Batman if Batman used an Uzi and Trench Knives when he wanted to be LESS dangerous. - Brotherless One
FNG
December 17, 2013 10:33AM
Hi,

Love the colour, as previously suggested, it stands out a mile compared to other forums I use and it is very in keeping with the TSR artwork

FNG
December 19, 2013 03:00AM
More news on the renovation to the web site; I will be adding a very small in size (10k) Portable Universal Table Dice Roller program to the site for download.

Also barna10, bobmalo, & I will be completing the transfer of the old character write-ups from the Archived Forum, to the new Character Profile Section on the navigation bar.

The Cutter

December 19, 2013 05:35PM
You rock, Skycutter & everyone else, making the continued upkeep and improvement of this site possible. I wish I could contribute at this time to help with the update, but I'm unemployed at the moment and not expecting to go back to work until middle to late January... hence my continued internet access difficulties. sad smiley

Count me in for a future contribution for regular site maintenance fees when I get some income again. thumbs up

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
December 26, 2013 05:19AM
At this time donations have completely stopped, but that is not what the site is all about...it will go on! I do want to update the forum community on progress to date:

1). I have updated & improved the functionality of the Navigation Menu Bar, including fixing all content errors found.

2). The newly rescanned Marvel Universe Gamers Handbooks by ThatArtGuy have been posted in the forum for all and I'm happy to say that MIC_Rulz is currently working on making them text researchable!
[www.classicmarvelforever.com]

3). Barna10 & I are currently working on the transfer of the old character profiles in the Archived Forum over to the new Character Profile Section...a ongoing process!

Now here is another improvement that is going to happen; all of the poorly scanned modules that are in the download section will also be rescanned.

The Cutter

December 26, 2013 04:58PM
FNG Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Love the colour, as previously suggested, it
> stands out a mile compared to other forums I use
> and it is very in keeping with the TSR artwork
>
> FNG

Yes, I love the colour scheme in use.
December 27, 2013 08:53AM
I only saw that now. Of course I've sent some bucks on the way.
This page helps to keep the game accessible and available for everyone, and is the one I point everyone to who has interest into MSH.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 6
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.