Who else could lift Thor's Hammer?

Posted by Epyon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Epyon
Who else could lift Thor's Hammer?
October 10, 2002 08:47AM
Here is a question that sort of came up in a different topic, but which I think is worthy of its own. Who else in the Marvel/DC universe do you think could lift Thor's hammer? I am restricting this question to those who could lift Mjolnir because they are "worthy," not because they are so powerful that Odin's magic does not apply to them (ex: Mephisto can easily lift Mjolnir, because he is more powerful than Odin).

As far as I know, the only characters in the Marvel Universe who have been shown to be worthy to lift Mjolnir are Thor, Beta Ray Bill, Odin, Tiwaz (Odin's grandfather), Captain America (Steve Rogers) and Thunderstrike. Who else do you think would be able to do it? I recall in the DC/Marvel amalgam stories, Wonder Woman lifted Mjolnir...
Re: Who else could lift Thor's Hammer?
October 10, 2002 08:56AM
Rick Jones. :lol:
October 10, 2002 10:00AM
Me. ;)

DG X(

Marvel > DC
October 10, 2002 10:08AM
not counting the fact a living being needs Rm/30 Str or better AND "worthiness" to be able to lift Mjolnir...
Dr. Strange
Firebird (Bonita Juarez)
Professor X

Non-living beings only need Rm/30 or better Strength... which means Bastion, Jocasta, Machine Man, Nimrod, any Sentinel, Ultron, and Vision could all use it...

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
October 10, 2002 10:22AM
Warlock, do you sleep? Or is that you're super power, to post while in bed?
illmatic
October 10, 2002 10:43AM
Spidermanm has
Moonrazor
October 10, 2002 12:53PM
Non-living beings can't lift or use the hammer.
Now, the biggest question is, can Magneto lift it with his magnetism?
Eypon
October 10, 2002 01:04PM
I thought non-living beings CAN lift the hammer. Also, I'm not sure I follow the requirement that a person have Remarkable strength. After all, Thor lifted Mjolnir while he was a frog. And Cap doesn't have Remarkable strength, either. BTW, when did Spidey lift Mjolnir? I would like to see that one.

I've often wondered why it is that Balder can't lift Mjolnir. He seems to be just as brave, honorable, noble, and good as Thor.

Magneto could probably manipulate Mjolnir with his magnetic powers, but he couldn't use it.
October 10, 2002 01:07PM
from [www.classicmarvel.com] -- "Only one who is worthy may lift Mjolnir. The wielder (other than Thor) must have 1000+ Karma, Remarkable Strength and positive Popularity. A non-living object must have at least RM Strength to lift Mjolnir. "

So, yes, robots and such CAN use it, assuming they have the strength to do so.

As for Magneto... I know they've fought before, but can't remember where/when, nor do I recall the outcome.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Eypon
October 10, 2002 01:15PM
Like I said, I'm not really talking about the Marvel RPG rules. I'm talking about who you think could really lift the hammer. I also happen to think the Marvel RPG rules are just flat out wrong when it comes to the strength requirement. Like I said, Thor lifted the hammer when he was a frog. Now, Thor in frog-form had super, uh, frog strenght, but I don't think he could lift 2000 pounds as a frog.
Spirit
October 10, 2002 02:14PM
I've seen Spidey lift it, but can't remember where.

Thor and magneto fought in one of Thor's very early issues in the '60s. Never read it though.
October 10, 2002 03:06PM
Eypon, you never mentioned you weren't talking about Marvel RPG rules, and since this is a Marvel RPG board, I threw out the part about non-living things.

But, robots aside, I'll still stick with my three other choices -- Dr. Strange, Firebird [Bonita Juarez], and Professor X (again assuming they had some form of Strength augmentation). I'm sure I could think of some others, given time.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Spirit
October 10, 2002 03:14PM
Why Prof X? he turned into Onslaught (twice technically).

Has he lifted it or something?
Quantum_Promise
October 10, 2002 03:20PM
If Superman can't lift the hammer, Ill eat my hat.
*Note to self: Buy hat*
Spirit
October 10, 2002 03:23PM
Being a DC character, he could probably crush it to dust.
Eypon
October 10, 2002 03:47PM
I would guess that Superman could lift the hammer. I'd be inclined to think Professor X could, too--he's pretty saintly. Although the idea of him being a warrior type is kind of hard to imagine.
October 10, 2002 05:15PM
I don't know if anyone brought this up yet but according to what's written on the mallet itself, I think LIFT and WIELD are two different things. I would let someone with Rm stength lift it and yet would impose the 1000 karma restriction to be able to use it.

And the Rm strength is because the hammer weighs that much. Anything over 800 pounds is Rm. In D&D Thor's hammer wieghs over 2 tons.

DG X(

Marvel > DC
Spirit
October 10, 2002 05:55PM
Certainly, lifting and using are two very different things.
Spidey lifted, then threw it to thor I believe.
He didn't fly around and call down lightning.
Few others than Thor could i'm sure.
Moryssa
October 10, 2002 05:57PM
I'm sure Storm could lift it. She's played the goddess role and everything. And wouldn't Rogue be able to lift it?
Spirit
October 10, 2002 05:58PM
That whole 1000 karma thing is dumb. Who has that naturally? Galactus? Wolfspider?

I know Thor doesn't.

And why would the hammer care about Pop? Who knew Beta Ray Bill at the time?

I would completely bypass that rule and leave it up to the GM if a player or NPC is worthy.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.