Who else could lift Thor's Hammer?

Posted by Epyon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Eypon
Re: Who else could lift Thor's Hammer?
October 16, 2002 12:25PM
Alabar, I guess I am luckier than you, because in my campaign, no one has tried to lift Mjolnir (except Thor himself, of course). Personally, I would balk at the "only those whom I approve of can lift Thor's hammer" approach, because it could lead to the belief among players that I'm playing favorites. I mean, if I have a player who runs a squeaky clean Thing and another player who runs a squeaky clean Colossus, how do I justify letting one lift Mjolnir but not the other?

I do think the idea of "worthiness" being connected to the Viking concept of that ideal is an excellent thought. It makes perfect sense. Beta Ray Bill, Captain America, and Wonder Woman are all warriors. In a sense, so is Spidey, despite his goodey two shoes demeanor.

BTW, Thor is the son of Odin, not Zeus...
Alabar
October 16, 2002 01:10PM
Damn! Meant Odin, really I did. Took a myths and legends course and everything! My teacher would never let me live it down, of course she used to talk to her giant stuffed bear Winston. I still use the game rules as a guideline just they still got to be worthy in my eyes too. So far only an NPC has lifted it in order to save their collective butts. Same NPC pulled Excalibur too, but he's got royal British blood.

Alabar
Spirit
October 16, 2002 02:40PM
Wow that was... um.. that.

Hey Warlock if Thor were like you said, I wouldn't hate him so much.

"Marvel REINVENTED Thor, otherwise he would be a red headed, beer guzzling, beserker who worshipps valor in battle above all else. He wouldn't be part of the Avengers, he wouldn't be on Earth and other than his followers he wouldn't give a flying fudge pack what happened to humans."

I think the GM should use the rules as a guideline and nothing more.

As for Storm, she very well could have used a wind gust assist her in lifting the hammer.
Moryssa
October 16, 2002 07:30PM
I always thought lifting the hammer was based on strength of character. Plus, if you're worthy, when you touch the hammer, wouldn't you gain the god-like strength to lift it? While Storm WAS a thief as a child, her taking on the role of 'goddess' would've earned her more karma than a normal hero would. She's got the soul of a warrior. I'm not saying I'm right, but i always thought that wielding and lifting were different.
Spirit
October 16, 2002 07:32PM
Well they are, but the comic writers pretty much do what they want.
Moryssa
October 16, 2002 07:36PM
That's the beauty of ink and paper. Although all that abuse of power is terrible.
Spirit
October 16, 2002 07:41PM
True, but sometimes they come up w/ some good stuff when they throw caution to the wind.
Not as often as they fail, but that's normal.
Alabar
October 17, 2002 12:15AM
Not trying to ruffle any feathers, but I would actually like to see the comparitive ages of Warlock and Kaz. Spirit...I love you! We agree so often that we could be...(Thinks about how often he agrees with siblings, friends and own fiance). I'm not sure what we could be. But it would be, clones maybe. Oh, that's scary, two me's around. Just curious are you male or female? I've got my guess, but I'm not sure. Not that I have any prob with saying I love you to a guy. I meant it plutonically anyway. I personally think that if you're worthy to wield the hammer you'll be able to regardless of strength and such. I still think that the Storm thing is someones all night pizza and Mountain Dew party's inspiration. Why don't they bring the sword Excalibur into the picture. Saw it in Earth-X, but that's all. Is it because nobody can seem to agree on what the spelling of the name should be. There's more spellings of Excaliber than Shawn.

Mjolnir + Howard the Duck = The Mighty Duck!

Alabar
October 17, 2002 10:59AM
why's Howard the Duck need Mjolnir? He's got his QUACK-FU, and his IRON DUCK Armor!!!

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Eypon
October 17, 2002 12:45PM
Iron Duck armor?!?!? Please don't tell me Tony Stark made it for him.
October 17, 2002 01:52PM
no, I think he made it himself. It had springs in the feet that allowed him to leap as high as one story vertically, provided Ex/20 protection from physical attacks, had a flamethrower of Ex/20 damamge, and a lamp which provided light of Ty/6 intensity.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Spirit
October 17, 2002 02:04PM
Um, Thanks Al. Last time I checked I was male.

Don't worry, we'll end up arguing about something here eventually. Have a little faith.

Jesus, I remember those Howard stats. I actually have them.

By the way, this has been bugging me. there's a new series that I've never picked up for one reason. He's a mouse! Can someone explain this to me?
Alabar
October 18, 2002 03:58AM
You'll have to be more specific. Haven't seen any mouse comics.

Alabar
Spirit
October 18, 2002 02:18PM
There's a new howard the Duck series, but in every issue I've flipped through he looks like Mortimer Mouse.
Alabar
October 19, 2002 06:20AM
Mickey Mouse's original form? Ouch!!!

Alabar
Spirit
October 21, 2002 02:14PM
Yeah, the one from Outland.
October 22, 2002 12:21AM
First
who has a thousand + karma. Most of the players in My game. they have been Saving up.
Who has positive popularity. Again most of the players in my game.
Who has sufficient strength... I would have to check that one.
How many of them would be worthy to Wield (which is to handle or use) the Hammer not Lift (to rise or cause to rise upwards from the ground or another support to a higher place)
That would be for GM's artistic licence to use (just like the comic writers use their artistic licence to use and abuse what happens in the comics to their own ends (the storyline).)

You can if you wish use the ruleing the the Marvel RPG books. (Your choice)

Second
Thor is not subjected to the ruling as the Hammer was made for him.
Also what exactly is the inscription on this OverGrown Walnut Cracker ???!!!

Finally
How you prefer to portray the god of thunder is your choice.
Personally I say give him Green Hair.. colour of Mistletoe.... now is that such a back thin
:):yawn::)

Fangs
>>| |-- ::!o --||<<
"Yes it the Game has bugs"
"I like mine squished"
"Bon Appetite!"
Quantum_Promise
October 22, 2002 08:14AM
"Also what exactly is the inscription on this OverGrown Walnut Cracker ???!!!"

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall posses the power of Thor"
Alabar
October 22, 2002 10:02AM
Fangs,

A couple of things. First, Thor with green hair? Sounds like Doc Sampson took a turn at Mjolnir...heeeey! Yeah, I like the sound of that! Gonna have to add him to my list of Thor replacements. Colossus, Thing and Doc Sampson. Thanks for the idea.

Second, most of your players have a thousand + karma? You wouldn't happen to have GM'd a player with a character called WolfSpider would you?

How many 747's full of people can you save?

Alabar
October 22, 2002 10:10AM
Hey, hey, we don't know how long they played to get that thousand plus. I once had a group where four players each had characters either in or near that range. Now, they'ld been playing together twice a week or so for about two years, but it can be done.

G

If electricity comes from electrons; does that mean that morality comes from morons? G. Carlin

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.