Who else could lift Thor's Hammer?

Posted by Epyon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Who else could lift Thor's Hammer?
October 10, 2002 06:57PM
the karma and popularity thing is there to basically to restrict use of the hammer to only worthy people. I dont see viallains as being worthy and since viallains will generally have a negative popularity it fits well.

Now not every hero is really true of spirit, hence the karma requirement. For example Batman while a hero and positive popularity still isnt really wot u might call worthy and wouldn't really acquire 1000 karma (hell probably do something naughty to reduce his karma in the time it takes to acquire that much).

So no its not useless but is a good guidline to who can actually lift the hammer. As always though, GM perogative applies

'Fer the love of my sweet Aunt Petunia' - Ben Grimm
Spirit
October 10, 2002 07:27PM
I can see it as a good deterent against pcs running around with it, but are we to assume that Spidey or even Surfer as NPC's just happen to have 1000 karma?
Doesn't thor occasionally kill people?
October 10, 2002 09:42PM
Mjolner was made for Thor. The restriction does not apply to him... also for spidey and surfer that would be GM perogative. It a general rule and guidline. Everything can change if the GM wants it too.

The marvel game system is very loose and not set in stone. Rules are made to be broken. Harnmaster (if you know it) is good for "Rules Lawyering cause just about every eventuality including rate of blood lose. Marvel is a heroic game not made for strict rules and house rules (for lack of anyother term) is promoted. Sorry if it sounds like a soapbox :-)

As for Surfer and Spiderman, well my rules would be no unless they have accumulated the required karma, if played as a PC or if an NPC depends of the scenario

'Fer the love of my sweet Aunt Petunia' - Ben Grimm
PowerUntold
October 10, 2002 11:41PM
Deadpool with Thor's Hammer
Kaz
October 11, 2002 12:32AM
Avengers #212. Linnea the Elf Queen tried to lift Thor's hammer but she couldn't, so she magically manipulated the surrounding pavement and dirt into a fist. This fist wielded the hammer for her and she even struck Thor himself with it. I think that is a pretty good precedent for allowing someone like Magneto physically utilize the hammer but they still can't tap the hammer's mystic capabilities.

I think Colossus could use it. I find him to be noble and self-sacrificing, plus he would be so cool with it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm the rest of his life
Alabar
October 11, 2002 01:25AM
Billy Batson could lift it. Shazam x2!!!!

Hoody hoo!

Alabar
Alabar
October 11, 2002 01:56AM
Got another one...Irving Forbush!

Alabar
Moonrazor
October 11, 2002 05:43AM
As far as robots go...
My understanding that only one who is worthy may lift the hammer of Thor. How can a robot (with no soul) be found worthy of anything? Some robots may be programmed good, some bad, but how can a mystic device, fueled by the intrinsic opposite of what fuels the robots, determine the worth of a mechanical device?
xmanalb
October 11, 2002 05:45AM
The following are worthy of the hammer of Thor:
Storm
the Thing
Beta Ray Bill
Magni
Odin

can't think of anybody else right now.
October 11, 2002 06:56AM
For the robots thing -- I think the wording of Odin's decree is that "only a living soul found worthy may wield Mjolnir". This has at least 2 possible interpretations:

A) Robots (and other non-living, soulless things, like most Undead) CANNOT wield it b/c they have no soul/life.

B) Robots & etc. CAN wield it, since their lack of a soul/life serves as a "loophole" in Odin's decree -- he never said non-living/non-souled things CAN'T use, only non-worthy living things.

Also, as far as the "worthinees" thing goes -- has that ever been described? Is it general "comic book heroic" worth, or is it "Norse Viking" worthiness? This'd be an important point, since the two differ on some points...

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Darkhawk 76
October 11, 2002 09:19AM
Aunt May, with the Super Soldier Serum. Wait.....wait.....wait for it....THUNDER MAY!!! Goddes of Thunder!!

"To each thier own."
October 11, 2002 10:01AM
"Eat your peas!" THWACK!

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Spirit
October 11, 2002 01:48PM
I forgot, storm did use it.

Colossus would look cool w/ it.
Alabar
October 11, 2002 09:48PM
Colossus, how could I, the biggest Colossus advocate here forget him. He's diffinately worthy! The Thing could probably lift it now. He has matured a lot over the years, but anyone remember when he was after Sue. He couldn't have lifted it then! I still can't see him doing it though. Could be it's just my personal taste though. Couse now that I think about it him and Thor have a lot in common. Same comparitive strenghts, same nobility, both dumb as an ox! Yep! I think that Thing would be a perfect replacement. And Thing has a catch phrase to boot!

Thor sux! Thing rules!

Alabar
October 11, 2002 10:54PM
"It's Mjolnirin' Time!!!"

......... maybe not.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
October 12, 2002 02:12AM
Simply being a nice person doesn't make you worthy.

As far as the Thing goes imagine how much Karma Thing loses just from ripping up lamposts to bash baddies with. He doesn't get into a fight without some property destruction.

DG X(

Marvel > DC
Alabar
October 13, 2002 06:45PM
It's Mjolnirin' time?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bonus Karma to you man!

Alabar
October 13, 2002 07:26PM
woo-hoo!!!

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Eypon
October 14, 2002 09:53AM
What was the issue where Spidey lifted Mjolnir?

It's Mjolnirin' time!
Spirit
October 14, 2002 02:19PM
I wish I could remember. I'm thinking Spectacular Spidey, but no idea what issue. Sold it long ago.

Colossus actually did have quite a few demons in his closet over the last few years.
He killed Riptide and joined Magneto. Then he went nuts and attacked Excaliber.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.