What if you could make your own "What If?"

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: What if...Kal El was trained as a Jedi?
February 17, 2008 11:45PM
Unfortunately the immune system doesn't tend to have the awareness to know that something's good for the body and simply attacks what doesn't belong there whether it's good for the body or not. If it were that discriminating we wouldn't require anti-rejection drugs for organ transplants or see problems with implanted medical technology like pacemakers and heart valves. I think the mido stuff was a mistake to try and give a pseudo-scientific explanation for the Force (unfortunately there are those occasional crazes to 'explain' everything in a sci-fi rather than fantasy fashion, which just kills things when used in the wrong place, and trying to make the Force a rational and scientific thing was a mistake and should have been left as a mystical thing coexisting in an otherwise science-based world).

I'm not versed in the Star Wars lore myself but about the only thing that could survive in a Kryptonian system would be something evolved for it (on occasion we see criminals specifically recovering Kryptonian diseases to use on him because his immune system's too good to use diseases evolved for other beings) and I have no idea how adaptable the Mido stuff would be or how well it could fool a Kryptonian immune system.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
February 18, 2008 02:30AM
Perhaps the Mido-Clorians are not something that would even be detected by the immune system. There are a number of races from which Jedi stem from. It is hard for me to believe that Kryptonians are one race that is specifically resistant to something that is quite possibly much more than a simple bacteria. The way it is explained in the movies, leads me to think that these symbiotic life forms are inside everything and thereby connected to everything. If that is true then it would put them way beyond something that the immune system would register because it is not something the body is taking in from an outside source, but is instead something that is and was always there. All the way down to the cellular level. In that way even the immune system is living with the Mido-Clorians inside it.

It seems like a really tough job to reference materials and concepts from one reality to another. Marvel to Star Wars.....DC to Star Trek.....My Little Pony to ....whatever.

This is a fun discussion though.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 18, 2008 02:51AM
Well DC to Star Trek is understandable given the extremes of power involved (many of the entities we've seen in Star Trek would be toast against Superman or a Green Lantern; only ones like Q or the Borg would give them a challenge or easily smack them down). Marvel to Star Wars isn't so unbelievable, and of course Marvel to Star Trek went fine. I have to admit I loved it when The Next Generation popped in on the X-men and mentioned they were from the Enterprise when they got caught and Wolverine asked if they were part of Kirk's crew and Picard's like 'Why am I not surprised to hear that Kirk's been here before?'. It does leave you wondering how much Star Trek history is now part of main Marvel Continuity as well.

The discussions are always good; well at least as long as no one gets that 'X must win because it's X' mindset going as that kills all discussion at that point. I of course especially love crossover discussions and comparisons. For example, what about some Marvel/Battletech crossovers? Imagine what Thor would be like going up against one of those Thor battle bots, or the FF with Reed Richards looking over the tech and going 'well now if you just did this you'd triple your ability to handle heat demands' or some other similarly astounding technical advance while trying to get back home. Of course we'd see them get a crossover with the X-men if we ever saw one, probably a mixed line-up of older and newer X-men. Forge of course would be a cool choice for that, along with Storm and Jean Grey.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

Re: What if you could make your own "What If?"
February 18, 2008 10:55AM
What if Shadow X had fought the X-men Instead of Excalibur.
I see them using thier Jean Grey to confuse and kill cyclops and then kill all the x-men telapaths.
the shadow king then secretly converts the remaining x-men and students.
Kills Mr Sinister and makes an allince with the mauraders
Waits until the Civil War is full swing and then in the middle of the final battle between the Pro and Anti registration teams reviels themselves and kills many of the non mutant heroes.
As the remaining heroes and dark x-men wage war, the Hulk returns. Shadow King manages to posses the Hulk and Earths remaining heroes fall to the combined might of the Mutants and War Bound
February 18, 2008 02:43PM
what if Amatsu-Mikaboshi defeated the olympian gods.
in this reality the Japanese God of Evil defeats the Greek Gods,converting Aries son as the new god of war killing most of them inclusing Zues Herc and Aries
He next sets his sights on the Heliopolitans, joining forces with the forces of Seth they defet the Egyption gods
Next the Celtic Gods fall and are folowed by one patheon after the other until all have been defeated
Next the alliance of Amatsu-Mikaboshi and Seth set thier sights on Earth faced with overwealming odds the nations of Earth unite along with heroes and villians
the war is brutal all seems lost until the Eternals and inhumans join the fight. the evil gods are temporarily held off.
Earths forces relize they still cant win and will fall in the next assult. Then Thor returns, and gathers a band of heroes to free any surviving Gods from the clutches of the evil gods
after free various god the war resumes and many gods and heroes fall, at a critticle moment Ares son switches sides and helps defeat the evil gods.
Story ends with a new pathen of gods being formed with Thor as the leader and Aries son as the new God of War, the rest of the patheon would be filled with various survivores from the eternals and other gods. together they help lead Earth into a new golden age
February 18, 2008 08:29PM
Nice. A war of that magnitude would rock the very foundations of the Marvel Universe for years to come.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 20, 2008 12:58AM
Love the idea of the Hulk and his War Bound taking over the earth. Wish that is how World War Hulk would have ended. With at least a short time of the Hulk's reign over Earth.

With the help of the Dark X-Men it is even cooler. Nice idea.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 20, 2008 01:32AM
Considering how well the Hulk was doing leading everyone on the planet he freed from the Red King he'd have been a great leader of the Earth. Probably would have united everyone under a true planetary government and put an end to virtually all war and poverty by the time he was done. Heck we could use him in the real world to go and slap around some of our world leaders and get these idiot murder-loving groups to stop killing and work on making things better.

-- Peter David

February 20, 2008 02:18AM
Agreed. I'd loving nothing more than to be part of the Hulk's War Bound and help clean up some of this garbage we see in the real world. Survive or not, it would be an honor.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
What if Cap hadda been Pro-Reg?
February 22, 2008 12:48PM
Well, my "What If" would only be a couple pages long....

What If Cap had of been pro-SRA?

Hill would have approached Cap more tactfully, Cap would have signed on instead of signing off, everyone that mattered would have followed ('cause it had CAP's okay), the MU would have got the SRA that the government originally promised, there would have been no clones, no need for a Negative Zone prison, the superhero community would have been united, formed a union and drawn on extraneous resources to (further) buffer themselves (above and beyond what a united superhero community would have ensured) against government misuse and abuse, everyone would have been one big happy family, and there would have been no CW.

Or... What If Thor had of been around for WWHulk?

------------------------------------------------
Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
Re: What if Cap hadda been Pro-Reg?
February 22, 2008 05:46PM
Both of those are great.

Many lives would have been saved if Captain America was Pro-Registration. But some freedoms would have been lost in the process. There would still have been a Negative Zone prison I think, just no heros as guest there. The whole thing would have gone so much smoother. But there would have had to been changes to the policy to even get Rogers to go along with it. There were so many things that he was pissed about that in order for him to be Pro-Registration, it would have to be a different policy. Kind of like What If? the SRA didn't suck...lol.

I've thought about the Hulk and Thor thing before and seen it mentioned on other forums. Everyone seems to think that Thor would be fighting Hulk and therefore tries to figure out who would win. I'm not entirely sure that Thor would be against the Hulk. When Hulk gets way out of hand and start killing left and right I think Thor would have a problem with that. But Thor would have a real problem with those who banished the Hulk in the first place. Look at what Hercules' reaction was. Having Thor there would have also limited what the Senty could do. The Sentry was only the powerhouse in the situation because the Thunder God was absent. With Thor there, the Sentry would be allowed to sit in front of his television afraid of leaving his place.

Another thing to think about is What If? Thor was there for the Civil War? No doubt in my mind what side he would be on. I think it was Cable who said that now that the Pro-Registration people have Thor, they can do what ever they want. At that time he was thinking that the Thor Clone was the real God of Thunder. Makes you think. Perhaps if the Anti-Registration group had Thor, they could do what ever they wanted. Also would allow for a nice fight betweenThor and his cheap little clone.

Lost track of where I was going with all of that. Anyway, the point is that any situation you put Thor in is going to be effected drastically.

He's the man...errr....God.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 22, 2008 08:27PM
I don't think it would have gone that easily just having Cap Pro-Reg. They've have still been doing all the human-rights violating things they did when he was Pro-Constitution and trying to hide it from him like they did with Spider-man until he learned the truth and spoke out (before the god-awful retcon that added that to many of the discontinuities around, including the heroes and others who questioned the SRA due to his bravery in speaking up that he was wrong to support it initially). Cap would have just ended up changing sides later in the game instead of starting on the right side. There is no 'right way' when you single out a part of your population with draconian measures just because they're different and presumed to be criminals solely for that reason.

Thor during WWH would have been more difficult, particularly as he is now. How he'd react is difficult to determine, since as has been pointed out Thor might side with the Hulk, outraged at such a betrayal of a friend instead of seeking ways to help with his anger issues. The Hulk was also doing what he could to not cause any deaths while making his point about the untrustworthy nature of the Illuminati since they were so quick to betray him how dangerous would they be to humanity as a whole by setting up only their views as the right ones? The only reason for Thor to fight Hulk is if he felt that he couldn't talk Hulk into less destructive ways of dealing with the situation (which if She-Hulk couldn't talk him out of it...), and they'd likely do just as much or more damage in the fight than what the Hulk had planned. If anything most of the overall damage to NYC resulted from the attacks on the Hulk rather than from the direct actions of the Hulk and his Warbound.

-- Peter David

February 22, 2008 11:11PM
Agreed. That is why I said, "There were so many things that he was pissed about that in order for him to be Pro-Registration, it would have to be a different policy. Kind of like What If? the SRA didn't suck...lol." Rogers is not going to be involved in anything that steals away peoples freedom. In order for him to be involved it would have had to have an entirely different purpose, strategy, and methods.

I'm pretty sure that Thor would have faced off with the people involved with banishing the Hulk. Likely he would not let the Hulk hurt too many people at the same time. When you throw an honorable, warrior-born, powerful type into the mix, everything changes. There was nobody of Thor's class in all of those categories involved in World War Hulk. Thor would have helped get justice served, or get to the bottom of the problem with minimal damage to people and property. I'm not saying that to slight the Sentry either. In fact I actually kind of like him, or at least he is growing on me. But he is no Thor.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2008 11:12PM by The Last Duskblade.
February 23, 2008 01:53PM
I disagree that that is the only way things could have gone if Cap hadda been pro-reg... unless one assume that polarizing the issue and starting a CW is the only option. I like to think that Cap is better than than that, not mention actually believes in the institutions and way of life that he constantly upholds and forces others to respect.

Public opinion was what made the passing of the SRA possible. And public opinion could have brougth about whatever ammendations the SRA required, up to and including it being abolished.

If Cap served a role somewhat similar to the one She-Hulk did in CW he would have been infinitely more successful in swaying public opinion.

There are simply too many options open to a united superhero community, not merely in terms of their power and intellect, but also in terms of their resources, the various non-powerd people they know in government, in military, in the press, etc. that to imagine that the government could oppress them is ludicrous. Afterall, as I've said in times past, you don't weaken a community by uniting it. The addage of divide and conquor exists for a reason that has nothing to do with aesthetics. And as things stood preCW the superhero community was divided.

The Captain America I know would have acted toward the greatest benefit for the greatest number, and in a way that affirmed the system and its intended spirit rather than undermined it... as a result of a single law that, far from victimizing a weak group within greater American society, was leveled at the most powerful group.

Cap woulda found a win-win.

At least thats how I woulda wrote it... affirming that Cap is indeed something special and not accepting either of the most obvious courses of actions.

As for Thor siding with the Hulk... gimme a break. The Hulk had repeatedly rampaged in densely populated areas, and it simply cannot believe that numerous people didn't suffer and due as a result of these rampages. There was a consistent pattern of behavior in regards to the Hulk, one which showed no letting up and one which could not be tolerated.

While I doubt that Thor would have gone in guns a blazing, I don't doubt for a moment that he would have ordered the immediate withdraw of the Hulk and his forces from Manhattan and Earth, lest, given their intentions, they face the wrath of the Son of Odin and Jord.

Of course, as we know, it all comes down once again to writers interpretation and preference.

Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
February 23, 2008 06:45PM
Good points all around.

I'm a fan of the idea that characters like Thor will stand up for what the rights of each party are. He would have been angry with those who banished Hulk, but I'm definitely not saying he would have allowed any nonsense to take place.

Sort of what you said about Rogers, in the way that he would find a win-win situation. With Thor I feel similarly. Some of these situations are very sticky for sure. But there are things that men (or gods) of power and/or honor could have done to make it better.

Of course if everyone was acting honorable and principled, then there would not have been a Civil War or a World War Hulk.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 23, 2008 07:21PM
Unfortunately those kinds of What-ifs? are few and far between and most sadly have to deal with realities where men lacking in honor or having principles that gives like silly putty end up making the choices that everyone else end up suffering from.

I think if Thor had been around during the Civil War and Asgard still an independent realm in another dimension he would have opposed it and given sanctuary to any who sought to escape it. More than likely they would have tried to strong arm him like they did when they pre-emptively attacked Captain America before the SRA even passed and after that team was trashed he'd have declared war on SHIELD, or at least it's leaders who set the policy and foolishly felt that they could order him around like some mere human.

Actually that's like the now retconned away encounter between Spider-man and Kingpin, where he made it clear that he was just some fat man with money who liked to pretend he had real power when he was nothing in comparison to Spider-man. The same would hold true with Thor setting it to the men who think they're in charge of the world just how little true power that they have, or as happened in one of the what-ifs where Susan Richards child had lived and threatened the political power structure with her peaceful ways.

-- Peter David

February 23, 2008 07:45PM
Strong arm Thor.....lol....I'm crying here....lol.

TLD

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 23, 2008 08:31PM
Sorry guys, I had a moment there.

Truth is that I really do wish Thor had been around for the Civil War and World War Hulk. I'd loved to have seen Stark try to send the Sentry out to handle Thor.

I'm laughing again.

All that power of a million exploding suns nonsense means little to someone who wields Mjolnir. The hammer can absorb energy on a level that I'm sure is greater then what Marvel has Sentry at. That evens it out a bit in my opinion. With Thor the greater warrior by far, with thousands of years of experience.

I'm foaming at the mouth a little now.

Actually I'm coming around with the whole Sentry thing after having read the New Avengers and some of the older titles with him. He's alright. As long as Marvel never tries to have him thump on the God of Thunder, they can keep me as a fan.

Not sure where I was going with this post exactly, but it was fun none the less.

Nightmask, brother, you crack me up sometimes the way you say things. Not that I disagree at all, but the idea of someone trying to muscle Thor around just struck me funny.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2008 08:33PM by The Last Duskblade.
February 24, 2008 02:55AM
Sentry was more of a danger to everyone than the Hulk ever was. All the Hulk has going for him is superstrength and durability but the Sentry can unleash massive energy blasts capable of destroying vast areas with ease. Also the Hulk you often see, especially during WWH, demonstrating FEAR of his destructive potential, but we see Sentry loving it once he got to cut loose.

As far as how I put things go, well I wasn't speculating as Tony Stark clearly tries to strong-arm Thor into 'signing up' and being a good little superhuman doing whatever the US Government and SHIELD told him to do. Something so laughable I think I'd have liked seeing Thor generate a continent-wide storm instead of just threatening one so that all those who felt money and political placement actually gave you power enough to order around people who can master the weather and destroy mountains with ease.

Same kind of fantasy life we see in the Real World when politicians think that they can pass restrictive laws that only affect and hurt the law-abiding; since by definition criminals are unaffected by and totally ignore such laws. Pass a law outlawing knives for example and it won't stop one of those politicians being knifed by a criminal he happened to encounter. While it's not quite the same thing in trying to order around people trying to be heroes it does criminalize behavior that's altruistic and of a Good Samaritan nature (which even required various states to pass laws to help protect them from greedy people out to sue people for saving their lives and make the next human decide to leave someone to die rather than risk that).

-- Peter David

February 24, 2008 03:23AM
Yeah man, I hear you. That issue where Thor tells Iron Man to stick was great. It really was time for Tony Stark to learn the difference between a God......

......and a man in a metal suit. That lesson was probably not really learned though. But at least for as long as it took him to walk home. ;-)

The Sentry is a real issue man, and one that I think Thor may come around to some time soon.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.