What if you could make your own "What If?"

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: What if you could make your own "What If?"
November 21, 2007 01:19PM
Yet Marvel has drilled into our skulls for how many decades that no human can attain naturally what Cap has? I fully believe the novel setting and the Marvel Universe are different universes entirely, or Marvel's contradicting itself.

November 21, 2007 01:21PM
capocastillo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Explain why Cap has the 'skill' to beat conan and
> not the other way around. I think plenty of
> examples have been given that Conan has beaten
> foes just as tough as foes Cap has beaten.
>
> But for the Conan detractors, there aren't any
> examples offered of why Conan couldn't beat Cap,
> or any reasoning behind it other than 'Conan
> couldn't possibly have developed as far as Cap
> has'. Well what if he could have? What if the
> literary origins of the character have shown that
> he has developed just as well as Cap did? What
> then?

Then that's fine. All I'm asking for is that explanation, and one less vague than "well it's the way he was born". Did the gods intervene in his birth?

November 21, 2007 01:22PM
Nightmask Wrote:
> Most fights end long before the
> ability for those involved to get significantly
> tired or suffer the penalties of exhaustion to
> become relevant anyway.

I'll concede you that point.

November 21, 2007 01:26PM
Nope, Conan was just that of abaddass. It bears mentioning that all of the original source material for Conan was written while he had already become an adult. So the 'how' he got like that isn't nearly as important as what adventure he was in at the time. But taking a look at the things conan accomplished and the metaphors Robert howard used to describe Conan are the true illustration of what the character can do.

November 21, 2007 01:28PM
See I can't enjoy that kind of thing without knowing his origin... why he's that (apparently) perfect a human being. There has to be some kind of explanation. I can't believe that stats like Caps could happen naturally.

November 21, 2007 01:30PM
I hadn't thought Marvel had gone on how no one could naturally achieve what Captain America has, heck the official stats for Punisher put him almost peak human in everything and he doesn't have any augmentation to explain it, only good genes and training. To the best of my knowledge though even though the Hyborian age of Conan and the earlier age of King Kull are set before recorded history (or at least before what is considered recorded history) they're still in continuity and canon for Marvel, although depending on their licensing agreements they might not be able to refer to anything from that period currently much like Rom while in continuity they can't make any real references ot him because of the legal problems with the licensing.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
November 21, 2007 01:33PM
I think the destinction here is that No human could achive what Cap has. but that doesn't mean that no human coul have ever achieved what cap has. It's splitting hairs, but there is a difference.

Firstly, it was simply a very different time and age when Conan was around. This is a place where amazing things can and did happen [and remember, for the longest time, Marvel had the Conan Liscense and they integrated Conan into their U on more than one occaision] I mean this is litterally '...between the time when the Oceans drank Atlantis, and the rise of the sons of Arius... there was an Age undreamed of'. Maybe no human now could achieve what cap has because they simply didn't exist in such a magical time of high adventure, where a thief and a barbarian could become king of the greatest kingdom of that time by his own hand, and wear its crown upon his troubled brow.

November 21, 2007 01:35PM
Except you're wrong, they can occur, the odds might be against it in RL but in comics and novels someone's always the odds-breaker who achieves what no other can. For Conan he's that one in a billion or trillion who was born with that fluke combination of genes that with the good environment for it resulted in his becoming the pinnacle of human physical potential in his era, something that to make it happen in modern times required a gene-altering formula and the right man.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

November 21, 2007 01:35PM
And to quote a muppet...

"And /that/ is why you fail'.

Conan apparently doesn't have the same hangups about using his body to the best of its ability.

But then again, Jesus doesn't get much of his story told between birth and his 20's, but noone seems to have a hard time accepting some of the crazy super powered stuff he did.

November 21, 2007 01:39PM
Capo that was wonderful, simply inspiring. In the age of Conan we saw many who were close to peak human (they often fought Conan after all), and even if some were occasionally stronger none had his physical perfection and strength of will to reshape the world solely by it and and the strength of his good right arm.

-- Peter David

November 21, 2007 01:47PM
Funny how some find it easier to believe a chemical injection with a radiation bath could turn someone into an almost super-human example of humanity over simply being of good genetic potential and through hard work and exercise reached that point isn't it?

-- Peter David

November 21, 2007 01:49PM
*Shrugs* It's just my thing and the way I enjoy or don't enjoy fiction. For example, I hate movies where they don't explain why something happened by the end of the movie. That always bothered me about Night of the Living Dead, for example. It never explained why it was happening.

November 21, 2007 01:50PM
Nightmask, you're getting condescending again. You're better than that, man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2007 01:50PM by Punstarr.
November 21, 2007 02:00PM
Explanations aren't always necessary to tell a story. I mean does it really matter what caused an asteroid to come crashing towards earth when you're trying to survive? It might be more enjoyable after the fact to know where some plague started or supernatural menace was released but unless the origin is crutial to dealing with the problem or revealing some critical truths it's not necessary to tell a good story as long as everything else is plausible within the framework of the story.

-- Peter David

November 21, 2007 02:05PM
Just trying to emphasize how silly it is in such a discussion to rate someone creating a magical formula to make you peak physical perfection as somehow more plausible/likely than being born with impressive genetic potential that life's hardships brought out to fruition.

-- Peter David

November 21, 2007 02:10PM
Nightmask Wrote:
> Unfortunately it seems as if it's just about a
> given when you compare iconic characters of a
> particular level (In this case humans at the peak
> of human potential) fan favorite creeps in and
> they have trouble seeing how there isn't any hands
> down clear winner if they had to fight for some
> reason. Same thing happens in comparisons between
> Batman and Captain America. For Batman we hear
> 'he has all those mysterious martial arts he
> learned around the world, all Cap's got is boxing
> and wrestling and some gymnastics', Cap gets 'he
> has the Super-Soldier formula and that make him
> invincible' and Conan fans likely go by 'he's a
> brawny barbarian archtype and has that connection
> with primitive instincts that'll let him win over
> anything'.
>
> Going for the flip-side we've seen all three taken
> out by regular goons on various occasions, which
> if you go by the arguments used to say why one
> would defeat the others they'd never get captured
> by some flunky but they do. They operate at peak
> human but that doesn't make them unbeatable by any
> means. Plus the 'Cap has the SS-Formula'
> arguments tend to fall flat since other than
> turning a sickly weak human into peak human and
> letting him go without tiring longer than most and
> survive being frozen it doesn't give him any other
> real advantages. Most fights end long before the
> ability for those involved to get significantly
> tired or suffer the penalties of exhaustion to
> become relevant anyway.

Never turning away from a valid question I will try to address a few things. Though I agree with what Nightmask has said here, I must address what Capo asked first.

_Capo wrote-"Explain why Cap has the 'skill' to beat conan and not the other way around. I think plenty of examples have been given that Conan has beaten foes just as tough as foes Cap has beaten."

Cap's foes [in my opinion/clue#1] though tough have been equally powerful, yes, but many were smarter or more dangerous due to their craftiness and ambitions. Baron Zemo, Red Skull and Modok[who was superhuman]. Who in the modern era were near if not geniuses with the ability to predict probabilities and carry out extremely complex plans. Plans that include scenarios the world had not yet seen. Not to mention psionic powers Modok had that could kill[puncturing 2inch thick steel] or scan minds[not read them] to tell their frame of mind. He also faced superhumans such as Count Nefaria who possessed at times far more than class 100 strength, and a 100 times the powers of Whirlwind, Power Man and Living Laser! He [alone] faced trained soldiers and mercenaries [in groups/HYDRA & AIM]far more skilled than the average clod Conan faced in large numbers[the same could be said for Batman]. Most of these foes possessed long range weapons that Cap could deflect due to his shield, while Conan only had a sword and anything outside Cap's shield would disintegrate! He's faced foes that had cosmic powers like Skrulls,Korvac, Thanos, and the Beyonders Power in Doom. These are villains that match or top anything Conan has faced easily! He even tussled with Namor and earned his respect! Not to mention lifting Thor's hammer! Yes, Conan has faced similar foes in similar numbers, but not exactly in the same class!

_Capo wrote-"But for the Conan detractors, there aren't any examples offered of why Conan couldn't beat Cap, or any reasoning behind it other than 'Conan couldn't possibly have developed as far as Cap has'. Well what if he could have? What if the literary origins of the character have shown that he has developed just as well as Cap did? What then?"

Well, we've already been there as I and Punstarr said, it's different worlds & different physics! Or, it's a draw leaving a win to mere circumstance, as Nightmask said!

To address what Nightmask says, Cap is not invincible and "circumstance" [clue#2]as I have said now for too many posts can lead to his defeat! And though Conan is in his class of peek physical condition and may even be in his class when it comes to fighting and battle savy, I assert that his training and level of competition do not compare in class! Thus as an experienced fighter knows, with sufficient ability he can out class a younger stronger fighter! This is what I believe is the case with Cap. Not only are we considering ability, but I am considering training which Conan does not have in the degree that Cap has due to mere technology and convenience! Plus the amount of battle occasions and age make Conan less likely to win against an augmented human. Eventually Conan's biology must give way to age and thus reaction time, strength and endurance must slow and Caps[for what I know] does not! Say what you want, I'm not uneducated about Conan, nor am I in the dark about Cap. If you want to get the approval from me I give it "a draw" at BEST[conclusion-this is only resolvable by opinion]!! But the win GOES TO CAP[in my opinion]!! That's all I have to say.....8-)

"POWER.... WITHOUT "perception" is virtually USELESS.... and therefore of NO.... "true" VALUE"
November 21, 2007 02:26PM
By the time had elapsed that enough research could have been done to explain why the Zombies were there, anyone capable of doing that research had already been eaten.

In most cases, we're not privy to the 'why' something is happening, it just happens and we deal from there.

November 21, 2007 02:35PM
If anything it adds to the horror for such movies because you don't know why it's happening, just that it is which makes it even more terrifying because of that fear of the unknown.

-- Peter David

November 21, 2007 02:46PM
You seem to list a lot of opponents that outclassed cap and he had no hope of defeating and in fact never did (Doom with the Beyonder's powers lost because every time he vaporized Cap shield and all what was left of the Beyonder kept resurrecting him for example), and the mages and demons Conan's fought were as much in the same class and would have provided problems for him that Cap's never had to deal with and again equals things out rather than giving Cap any kind of straight edge in combat. Especially since experiencing and training to deal with creatures like the Hulk, Zemo, and Nefaria are worthless as tactics to defeat someone who becomes say energy don't mean anything when you're fighting someone without that power and its weaknesses.

When facing off against each other tactics for beating some crazed mage, demon, super-hero, demi-god, etc. are without value and it comes down to conventional experience with hand-to-hand combat and use of terrain and puts them even, Cap just doesn't have any real edge over Conan other than his Shield and it's not like it'd be something beyond Conan's ability to adapt to.

-- Peter David

November 21, 2007 02:53PM
It's also interesting how someone asks for examples and then dismisses them! As though their evidence is objectively stronger? When in fact it is just as arbitrary! But one fact exists that is utterly discounted, and that is Conan ages and thus is diminished by natural causes unlike Captain America!

"POWER.... WITHOUT "perception" is virtually USELESS.... and therefore of NO.... "true" VALUE"

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.