What if you could make your own "What If?"

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: What if you could make your own "What If?"
November 28, 2007 02:50AM
Magneto and Xavier struck out together from the start to make a stand against humanity. Their activities surely awakened Apocalypse to set his plans in motion a lot sooner.

As Magneto, Xavier, and Apocalypse meet that fateful day, a time traveling Legion appears to kill Magneto, missing and killing Apocalypse instead.

This causes a major shift in the timeline which manifests itself as "The Age of Cyclopalypse."
February 10, 2008 02:21AM
Okay this may seem like less of a What If? and more like me just having a moment. But here goes...

...What If? Nightcrawler had become a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes?

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 10, 2008 03:32AM
‘What if’ HULK and SHE HULK did the ‘NASTY’............ What would their ‘Spawn’ Be?????

www.TankerAce.com | www.Arcain.com | www.Viper99.com
February 11, 2008 07:33AM
Abomination. They are cousins, after all.
February 11, 2008 02:10PM
Being cousins doesn't automatically mean deformed children; unless there are obvious genetic defects that could be brought out cousins reproducing don't have much more of a chance of deformity than any other couple. Excessive amounts of inbreeding will up the risk but the average person likely isn't carrying a flawed gene that will pair up with a similar flawed gene in a relative. Considering Bruce had the genetic fortitude to survive what for just about anyone else would have been lethal radiation exposure and Jennifer survived the mutagenic effects of Bruce's blood (with a little help from Michael Morbius) they likely have some quite superior genes.

Also remember that inbreeding to a degree is used to help strengthen some genetic traits in animals and produce specific purebreed lines in several species humans favor; like cats, dogs, horses, and cattle. If it were that hazardous and certain to produce deformed offspring it'd never be used. Modern genetic testing also provides better means of determining if two people, whether close relatives or distant (we're all distantly related after all) might produce offspring with genetic deformities. The social strictures against such close reproduction between humans primarily developed due to the crude understanding of inbreeding as the only means that they had to reduce the risk of that problem and is now fairly defunct and unnecessary with anyone able to afford genetic screening.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
February 12, 2008 03:37AM
Perhaps my What If? would be more interesting if everyone here knew that Nightcrawler was originally designed for DC Comics. Perhaps not. :?

Actually I'm sure everyone here does know that. Any thoughts on how both universes would be different?

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2008 03:38AM by The Last Duskblade.
February 12, 2008 03:50AM
There have actually been a few posts during comic discussions that have brought up Nightcrawler's original intended home (including in a now defunct thread of ask a question and whoever got it right got to ask the next question).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

February 12, 2008 04:04AM
Cool then. So I guess it was covered there. I'll check it out.

It would be a nice What If? crossover for Marvel and DC to explore.

Thanks for the input.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 12, 2008 04:17AM
You're quite welcome, and glad to be of help.

-- Peter David

February 13, 2008 04:56PM
OOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I totally forgot they were Cousins..... OOOOOOOHHHHHH....... That’s probably how She-Hulk got her powers to begin with....... They were ‘Kissing Cousins’.......

Some Green Beef Injection.......

February 13, 2008 05:48PM
Incest! It's the best! Put your gamma irradiated cousin to the test!

Joe
February 15, 2008 12:24AM
What if Quicksilver got the power of the Juggernaut?
February 15, 2008 01:03AM
He’d just be a Human sized sniper rifle Bullet......

Capable of drilling a human size hole all the way through the earth..... And maybe other planets too....

February 15, 2008 02:45AM
Depends; Juggernaut's supposedly on the slow and plodding side as a side-effect of his powers as such it might not really do much beyond remove his speed or seriously dampen it while gaining immeasurable strength and durability. All that size and bulk might just mean he moves faster relative to someone without super-speed gaining those powers but nowhere near as fast as he would without them.

-- Peter David

What if...Rogue had been neutralized instead of Storm?
February 15, 2008 02:48AM
Way back in the X-men after Forge created his neutralizer gun we saw Gyric use it to neutralize Storm's powers when attempting to do so to Rogue, but what-if he'd hit his intended target and nullified Rogue's powers instead of Storm's, what would have resulted from that?

-- Peter David

What if...Kal El was trained as a Jedi?
February 16, 2008 12:49AM
There are a number of factors to this. If I remember correctly Superman's father knew about the effect a Yellow sun would have on a Kryptonian.

That is, to my understanding, why he chose Earth to send his son too.

If somehow the pod that Kal El was sent to earth in was throw off track and ended up in the arena of space monitored by the Jedi.
It is possible that they would have sensed him and sought to bring him to train at the academy. I don't remember if there is a yellow sun there but it
is entertaining non the less. If there was it is cool. If not, it is still cool.

Imagine a powerless Kal El learning the ways of the Jedi only to later be exposed to a yellow sun. Or the other way is cool too. If there is a yellow sun there,
he would be powerful already but still educated in the ways of the force, making him even more powerful. I want to see the Jedi purge happen with him
carrying a lightsaber.

It also makes you wonder what the effects of multiple suns are on a Kryptonian. There are certain worlds in the Star Wars universe that have more than one.

Perhaps two yellow suns makes him even stronger. Or one red and one yellow make him only half as strong. Or whatever.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2008 12:51AM by The Last Duskblade.
Re: What if...Kal El was trained as a Jedi?
February 16, 2008 05:58PM
They've generally shown Kryptonians having enhanced powers under exposure to multiple yellow suns in a simple multiplication of abilities, even for Pre-Crisis. The returned Super-girl even had problems under the triple yellow suns of I think it was Rannagar as she wasn't used to the overload although did manage to use the enhanced senses and mental capacities to defeat a terrible threat at the time. Some Pre-crisis (not sure about post-Crisis) references also had Superman undergoing enhanced powers when exposed to suns of greater than G-class. At least one Pre-Crisis event had a normal human (Jimm Olsen) gaining superman-like powers under a blue-white sun.

For the combo red/yellow sun system he'd have reduced powers compared to a fully yellow sun system, similar to what we see happen when he is weakened in combat by opponents exposing him to concentrated red sun radiation. Of course something to remember when it comes to binary star systems is that the planets orbiting it have varying exposures to the paired suns energy output, both because the suns will rotate around their center of gravity quite rapidly and occlude each other and the planets will be revolving around that center point more slowly. So at times an Earth-like planet in the habitable zone will be exposed only to the yellow sun and others only by the red sun and the rest of the time mixed to varying degree.

I'm not sure someone like Superman would feel a need to train as a Jedi if brought up under a yellow sun, he'd already have so much power there wouldn't be much point to it. Better to rely on those natural abilities in the end, much like even though he's vulnerable to magic he never takes time out to study and learn magic in order to eliminate that vulnerability. Now the other way around would be more reasonable but then he'd have to learn how to handle those increased abilities after training as a powerless being and suddenly finding his Jedi powers enhanced exponentially by his sun-derived powers.

-- Peter David

February 17, 2008 03:09PM
Well as I said in my post I think it is very cool, the idea of a powerless Kal El training as a Jedi and then laster being exposed to a yellow sun.

However, I think even if the Jedi academy had a yellow sun shining on top of it......Kal El would have been a child beginning his Jedi training.
That would be what he knew as his life upbringing and his family. Look at the effect the Kents had on him. Now exchange that with learning the
lifestyle of the Jedi. If Kal El was an infant when he came to the academy then he wouldn't really know any better. He might realize that he is the only
five year old who can life a X-Wing fighter. Perhaps even with his powers from the yellow sun he would complete his training. After all he would be
learning a set of skills not granted to him by sun light.

Thoughts?

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 17, 2008 09:19PM
Well if you go by the Post-Crisis Superman even under a yellow sun his full powers didn't manifest until he was an adult, until then he was still vulnerable to injury and while somewhat tougher and stronger didn't go very much above human norms. It wasn't until in a retconned in story where he survived a car accident without a scratch his graduating year of High School that left everyone else crippled or dead that he came to realize how different he was. From that point he rapidly matured into the powers his Kryptonian nature provide under a yellow sun.

Of course if you go by the Force being just some bacteria in the blood his super-powered immune system would have eliminated it as a foreign substance. Only if you consider it still being mystical and the bacteria deal an awful retcon/explanation would it still fit that Superman could learn Jedi Training to add to his powers upon maturity.

-- Peter David

February 17, 2008 11:33PM
Nightmask,

While I am not a Star Wars expert by any stretch of the imagination, I'm pretty sure that the Midi-Clorians are not considered a foreign substance.

In fact I believe that they are supposed to exist in all (or almost) living things. So in theory, Kal El could have been born with plenty of the little symbionts living in his system and communicating with him and the Force. I'll do a little digging on the Jedi side of things, but I'm almost positive that the body would not considered it a bacteria in the negative sense just because the symbiosis is mutually beneficial. Or so it would seem.

I'm willing to be educated here.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.