Starting with Class 1000, 3000 and 5000 Powers

Posted by Yendor 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Starting with Class 1000, 3000 and 5000 Powers
January 25, 2008 06:17PM
One of my shortest lived characters was one that had CL 1000 Molecular conversion, Cl 1000 Molding, Mn Hyper-Invention, and Serial Immortality. That combination let me do too much. The GM even brought in a couple of heralds (Firelord, and Airwalker). It was a long battle but eventually ended up in a draw between them and my character. My four team mates (no weaklings themselves) were dead. For me it was no fun beyond that because there was too much that he could do.
January 25, 2008 06:36PM
That's definitely a power-house combination of powers, although it's not really a GM's job to go PC killing because he doesn't care for it or let in one he finds too powerful for him to easily challenge. From that little bit of information sounds like he regretted allowing the character and instead of simply asking you to retire him went for the 'hit squad' response. It does have some limitations though, since while you can ensure you have the raw elements and compounds you want Molding's only good enough to reshape solid materials into at best purely mechanical devices, nothing extremely complex or electronic in nature. Did he let you somehow power stunt a combination of Molecular Conversion and Hyper-Invention to bulk fabricate electronics and other high-tech items?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 25, 2008 09:00PM
Nah, nothing that fancy. Just designed it, made the materials that were not already around, and then put them together.
Think of it like this...

Imagine what a smart electrician or enginer could do in LA or New York if he could freely use what was around him.

The only power stunt that character had was seperating items materials from each other with Molding. Then used Conversion for the odd bits that were needed.

Now imagine what some one could do with old (and relatively uncomplicated) designs like catapults if they had the ability to "enhance" it with modern materials and techniques (modern elastics and springs can apply a great deal of tension).

Mix all that and you've got a GM nightmare. When it was created he seemed like the weakest in the group. The rest were Thor, Magneto, and Professor X level of power that all had some kind of body armor powers. I just picked his talents to match his powers. The talents (carpentry, engineering, history, and I don't remember the rest) made the difference.
January 26, 2008 08:21AM
Well modern isn't always superior; when some modern engineers attempted to replicate some of DaVinci's weapon designs and substituted their thoughts on what would be more superior materials they didn't pan out as well as they thought. I think that man had to be one of the greatest minds we've ever seen, perhaps in the range of a true superhuman. He was a genius in so many different fields and even designed an artificial heart valve equal or superior to what we've developed only in modern times.

That being said the range of powers you had can be quite devastating given full expression with a creative player as you sound like you were with them. I know that for the Hero drafts we had last year there were a range of unrealistic restrictions on having high-tech heroes on a team that weren't imposed on the more raw-power focused heroes. After all a Forge/Madison Jeffries team-up can be extremely powerful with access to sufficient materials.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

February 01, 2008 09:22PM
Good point on the Physic Invisibility. I left out any powers that already had allowances for achieving the Class ranks (such as Molding, Disintegration, etc.). As for Radiowave Control, that's why it's marked as *. I'm sure no judge would have any problem with it being Class 1000, provided the microwave control is dropped (keep the resistance to microwaves, but lose the microwave control), which would turn the player into a walking long range broadcasting unit.
February 01, 2008 09:51PM
Well that'd pretty much eliminate a key part of the power though; it's not radiowave control if you aren't controlling all the radiowave spectrum after all. Plus ALL radiowaves are dangerous at the levels CL1000 Radiowave Control can amplify them to. Same applies to Magnetism; CL1000 Magnetic Manipulation would let you kill anyone as human beings simply aren't able to handle that intensity. There's an actual neutron star (specially named class called a magnetar) that has the most intense magnetic field ever detected that's so powerful it'd kill you from tens of thousands of miles into space. I wouldn't be surprised if it was translated into real world intensities that Magneto's level of power would actually kill someone if they were exposed to that level in real life.

Hmmmm, just had the amusing thought, Magneto as a Herald of Galactus. Talk about a scary thought.

-- Peter David

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.