Starting with Class 1000, 3000 and 5000 Powers

Posted by Yendor 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Name Some Powers
December 11, 2007 05:44AM
A character with Class 1000 synesthesia could be deafened by a "loud shirt."

;)
Re: Starting with Class 1000, 3000 and 5000 Powers
December 11, 2007 07:13PM
Thinking about it now, there are many powers that a character could have in the Class 1000 range, as long as it was the only power they had at that level. The power just can't be something excessively destructive.

The problem, once again, is one of balance in the game and with the other characters.

TLD
December 12, 2007 12:58AM
Well have to be careful with the excessively broad powers as well, since CL1000 Electrical Control would let you take and generate cosmic level electricity just by manipulating ambient electrons in the atmosphere or control ANY electronics within your considerable range. Someone in a battle suit for exampl; even Doom or Stark would be helpless against such a person.

I do end up wondering where on that boundary Elemental Conversion, Molding, Disruption, and Molding fit because of their power descriptions. They specifically state that you can take the base rank you roll and give up a CS of range to increase the effect, and vice versa and allow you to shift into the CL1000+ range for either. With CL1000 Molding you'd have no problems reshaping Ultron into a Toaster or even Cap's shield if you felt like it.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
December 12, 2007 07:44AM
And what exactly is the point of Cosmic Awareness having a rank? Based on the description I read, all it does is allow the character to become instantly aware if a being of Class 1000+ power is nearby and gives a +1CS to combat rolls. How does rank even factor in?

December 12, 2007 07:45AM
Class 1000 Molding could affect Class 3000 Material Strength?

December 12, 2007 07:56AM
Of course, why wouldn't it be able to? If you go just by the power description for it there's no mention of Material Strength even having a say whether or not Molding works on an item, only certain powers that can partially or totally block it. Plus Cap's shield is specifically vulnerable to attacks of a psionic nature (and presumeably magical ones as well) as well as any that can directly attack the bonds of the elements that make it up. They just never put Cap up against such threats because of the iconic nature of the shield and how upset/outraged fans get at the idea of the shield being anything but impervious to harm (as we've seen in the arguments on this board regarding the composition of the shield). I think it's been shown damaged less than a full hand-count of times since the retcon that specifically stated that all previous instances where it appeared damaged/destroyed was simply his having a temp shield from Stark while he was studying the shield at his lab.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

December 12, 2007 08:00AM
So you're saying even Feeble Molding should be able to affect Cap's shield?! Come on, dude... material strength has to factor in somehow.

December 12, 2007 08:01AM
Must be referring to the Advanced Handbook, as the rank is of great necessity if you're using the more detailed UPB write-up. Cosmic Awareness is far more than just those features, it leaves you in touch with reality in a semi-omniscient fashion and access to virtually any information you want. The rank determines how successful you are at locating specific information depending on its rarity. You could go 'I wonder where Magneto's at today?' and on a green feat if he's on the earth you know exactly where he is, or if you were extra-nosy on a red feat learn what the X-factor was that allowed for the creation of Cap's shield (I'm sure someday they'll do a retcon where like Barry Allen being the source of his own lightning bolt Cap's somehow the X-factor that created the shield in the first place). But if you think that's too easy remember that it also has a downside, use it more than a specific number of times (5 times or one tenth power rank number round down, whichever is larger) and you have to clear a Reason feat or be driven insane, much like what happened with Genis-Vell.

-- Peter David

December 12, 2007 08:03AM
I'm saying it's not impossible, unless as GM a ruling was made requiring a higher rank to affect his shield, but I've seen stats for the shield that declare that it's Material Strength is only considered Remarkable against magical and psionic attacks. Generally speaking it's one of those things that never comes up because no one who's a hero is going to screw with Cap's shield and villains with the power never seem to come into conflict with him.

-- Peter David

December 18, 2007 02:56PM
I have one question for those who use class 1000 swords.

Just because you hgave a weapon that can, in theory, cut through a tank, do you (the one using said weapon) have the strength necessary to make the cut?

RL example: matchettes have a blade strong enough to cut through most trees, but few people are strong enough to chop-down a tree with one swing.
December 18, 2007 05:18PM
You must have the strength to make the cut.

Aunt May with A Class1000 material strength sword is not cutting through a tank.

Not with out the Uni-Power anyway. ;-)

TLD
December 18, 2007 10:49PM
Yes, I've let a few players have Class 1000 powers or equipment (not counting the ones who took the Class 1000 invulnerability power in the advanced book).

One or two were Asgardian or Olympian, and I allowed them to have a Class 1000 material strength weapon (material str only, not damage).

Another guy had Class 1000 growth, but his str decreased, not increased, as he grew. He just wanted to look impressive.

Another was a heavy metal drummer named Headsmasher who had Class 1000 body armor, but only on his head. If he was hit in the head, then he was pretty much ignoring the damage. (We rolled a d6- on a 1, it was a head shot.)

I'm sure there were others, but those are the only major examples that come to mind.
December 20, 2007 01:43PM
Damage from an edged weapon (sword, machete, claws, etc.) are only going to do Strength +1 column shift damage OR the material strength of the edged weapon, whichever is less.

Someone with a CL1000 material sword can hack a hole in an Incredible Body Tank big enough to ignore the protection provided to those inside the tank, but it's going to take him Amazing or better strength to do it in one combat round.

Keep in mind the "breaking" rules in the APB.

The same Amazing strengthed character with an Excellent material sword hitting the same Incredible Body tank will only do Excellent damage (not enough to affect the tank) but the sword may shatter or break (Advanced Players Book p.45)

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
January 24, 2008 09:59PM
This is what I came up with. After looking through various powers, I plopped down those that are automatically fine at Cl 1000/3000/5000, and those that are questionable with a *. Any others any of you could think of plunking in or removing?

Purchasing Powers at Class 1000, Class 3000 and Class 5000 ranks
During character creation, a character can spend extra slots to have a power start (and freeze in advancement) at Class 1000, Class 3000 or Class 5000 ranks. Most powers, it costs two power slots to start with a power at Class 1000 rank, three slots for Class 3000, and four slots for Class 5000. If the power is linked to a piece of equipment that is hard to lose (such as a weapon that almost never leaves the character’s possession, Cap’s shield, Thor’s Hammer, Wolverine’s claws/skeleton), the cost increases by one.
Class 1000/3000/5000 Powers:
Defensive: Resist (D11-D17, with each additional Resist power counting as only one slot)

Detection: Energy Detection, Environmental Awareness, Extradimensional, Life/Magic/Power/Psionic Detection*, Microscopic Vision, Penetration Vision, Radar Sense*, Sonar*, Telescopic Vision, Tracking, True Sight*, Ultraviolet, Weakness Detection*.

Energy Control: Absorption Power*, Coldshaping*, Radiowave Control*, Vibration Control*.

Energy Emission: Energy Doppleganger*.

Fighting Power: Martial Arts Supremacy, Natural Weaponry, Weapons Creation*, Weapons Tinkering*, Unique Weapon*.

Illusory Power: Animate Image.

Life-form Control Power: Biophysical Control (Healing, Regeneration, Revival), Emotion Control*, Exorcism, Force Field vs. Hostiles*, Grafting*, Mind Transferal*, Plant Control, Plant Growth*, Shapechange-Others*, Sleep-Induced*, Spirit Storage*, Summoning*.

Magical Power: Enchantment*, Internal Limbo, Warding*, Probability Control*.

Matter Control Power: Bonding, Collection*, Diminution*, Enlargement*, Geoforce*, Micro-Environment*.

Matter Conversion Power: Coloration, Elemental Conversion*, Molecular Conversion*.

Matter Creation Power: Artifact Creation*, Elemental Creation*, Life-form Creation*, Mechanical Creation*, Molecular Creation*.

Mental Enhancement Power: Clairaudience*, Clairvoyance*, Communicate with Animals, Communicate with Cybernetics, Communicate with Non-Living, Communicate with Plants, Danger Sense*, Dreamtravel, Empathy*, Free Spirit, Hyper-Intelligence*, Hyper-Invention*, Incarnation Awareness*, Iron Will, Linguistics, Mental Invisibility*, Postcognition, Precognition*, Remote Sensing, Sensory Link, Serial Immortality*, Speechthrowing, Total Memory*, Ultimate Skill*, Omni-Knowledge*.

Physical Enhancement Power: Armor Skin (Temp only)*, Body Resistance*, Digestive Adaptation, Hyper-Speed, Regeneration*, Self-Revival*, Self-Sustenance*, Stealth*, Suspended Animation, Hyper-Intake/Expulsion, Hyper-Endurance, Hyper-Strength*, Immortality, Longevity.

Power Control Power: Focus*, Gestalt*, Nemesis*.

Self-Alteration Power: Anatomical Separation, Animal Transformation, Animal Mimicry*, Bouncing Ball*, Elongation, Growth, Imitation-Face Changer, Imitation-Human Changeling, Invisibility (Telepathic*, Hallucinatory*, Holographic*), Mass Decrease, Mass Increase, Phasing, Plasticity*, Prehensile Hair, Self-Duplication*, Shapeshifting, Shrinking, Two-dimensionality, Collective Mass.

Travel Power: Astral Body, Dimension Travel, Energy Path, Floating Disc, Gateway*, Hyper-Digging, Hyper-Leaping, Hyper-Running, Hyper-Swimming, Levitation, Rocket, Skywalk, Spiderclimb, Climbing, Teleport Self*, Teleport Others*, Telereformation, Time Travel*, Troubleseeker, True Flight, Water Walking, Whirlwind, Spinner.

Random Rule Power: Attribute Change*, Attribute Pool*, Initiative Change*.
* Judge’s final decision.
January 25, 2008 12:56PM
Very nice general breakdown and list although I think a few of those probably shouldn't fit. Radiowave Control for example would let you take the trace amounts of microwave energy in the environment and easily amplify it to inflict Unearthly damage if not all the way up to Shift Z.

All and all though it's a fairly good list, but should also include Molding in the array. Remember that it's got the same options of Elemental and Molecular conversion to trade range for effect and vice versa, so you could get the power legitimately moved up to CL1000 effect by dropping the range sufficiently.

Some of the mental powers might also be unbalancing at those levels, like Hyper-Intelligence and Hyper-Invention.

I'm curious why you left out Physics-Based Invisibility as CL1000 levels in the power just means you can easily screen yourself from all forms of electromagnetic-spectrum detection or attack, but only while Invisible.

-- Peter David

January 25, 2008 01:04PM
As a GM class 1000 danger sense... It can be enough of a pain at the Ty level. At CL 1000 your talking about more than an an hour and a half of warning.

In the real world that would drive someone nuts. In the game world where people are tossing lighting and invading aliens are relatively common...
January 25, 2008 01:05PM
As a GM class 1000 danger sense... It can be enough of a pain at the Ty level. At CL 1000 your talking about more than an hour and a half of warning.

In the real world that would drive someone nuts. In the game world where people are tossing lighting and invading aliens are relatively common...
January 25, 2008 01:18PM
Quite true, would be better having CL1000 Cosmic Awareness, but then you'd be able to learn so many things you'd be hard-pressed to even ask enough questions to even hit the danger point where you have to make a sanity check.

-- Peter David

January 25, 2008 02:45PM
if someone trade the range of the molding to get greater effect, then the victim must resist the greater effect ?

if i have amazing molding, and i drop the range to excellent, then i'll have shift-x effect, so if i want to mold a living target s/he have to roll a red feat if s/he has unearthly resistance to energy or something like?
January 25, 2008 03:14PM
Pretty much, same goes with Elemental and Molecular Conversion as well as Disintegration and Disruption. With a good starting roll for rank and trade-ins you could end up with CL5000 rank for your Effect and even still have some range left over to not be stuck with touch-only. Of course the odds of a GM letting you have such extreme levels of power is slim even if you've only got a range of Touch or a single area.

There tends to be a great deal of opposition to anyone having a PC with those kinds of ranks, especially in powers where they can vastly increase their Resources. The Conversion powers for example get especially useful with those higher ranks if you've a thing the difficult stuff that requires a red feat to create. Molding's also extremely helpful in that area in construction and building headquarters. Combine the two and you're really set up for Unearthly+ Resources.

-- Peter David

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.