Ready to rock....

Posted by The Beyonders 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Behind the Source Wall, heheh...
December 21, 2007 10:05AM
I choose Starfox then. :) Just kidding. Someone as cosmic-class as her would be even more above the average than Thor would be.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
December 21, 2007 11:14AM
Oh, and check your PM here for my latest reply/feedback regarding my submission(s).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

December 21, 2007 08:49PM
What I mean Beyonders, is most of those with super powers in the New Universe had one power (or a few powers), and although they were powerful, the (average) one wasn't uber powerful (Starbrand one of the exceptions).
December 22, 2007 08:16AM
Gotcha.

I guess I don't want it so easy for one player character to overshadow the other player characters on his team. You know, the kind of game where the Sub-Standard League gets saved every adventure by their member Everything Including The Adamantium Kitchen Sink Man and to stop EITAKS-Man I have to throw an enemy powerful enough to face him, which winds up too powerful for the Sub-Standard League to handle.

It becomes a vicious cycle towards the Never-Ending Boredom.

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
December 22, 2007 08:35AM
That's where you get the Five Man Band format for most super-groups and many anime, everyone's got their area of specialization and some measure of overlap with everyone else (everyone being decent or better fighters for example) to deal with situations where Muscle Man's muscles won't save the day or Invulnerable Man's invulnerability is useless. It's something I try to keep in mind when creating characters, so that most can't do everything or wildcard into everything (Starfox and Wildcard being exceptions) or nearly everything.

-- Peter David

December 22, 2007 08:54AM
I just see powerful characters like that as *not needing a team* - "You better watch out, Green Lantern's got Forbush Man with him!"

"Ooh aah Forbush Man!"

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
December 22, 2007 09:23AM
Then you're forgetting the very reason for the founding of the Avengers, and that gets repeated in their tag line, that they came together to deal with threats no single hero, no matter how powerful, can. Even Thor and Odin have required allies for great battles against threats like Surtur and Ymir. Sure Paragon could handle dozens or hundreds of AIM or Hydra agents but she'd never be able to stop so many from killing dozens or hundreds before she stopped them all because she's just the one being. That's what groups do, help provide the necessary resources to deal with things like that which are beyond the ability of someone who's not like the Flash or Superman with hyper-speed powers to simultaneously attack so many at one time. You never see Thor denigating a teammate for not being as powerful as he is, he only cares about the warrior spirit inside, which is why he holds Captain America so worthy of his respect, even though relative power levels put Cap like an ant to a fully grown and Special Forces Trained human in comparison.

-- Peter David

December 22, 2007 09:26AM
Y'know, I think I might be ducking outta this one...
Much as I want to play, this is starting to give me
a headache to read!

For me, gaming's fun, and an escape from the crap of
real life. I don't need stress coming from something
that's supposed to be a source of enjoyment.

Niniri the Migrained

December 22, 2007 10:56AM
Well, the way I see it, Batman *could* take out the Justice League if he had to, with meticulous planning ahead.

And it's not out-of-character that Batman would have made that meticulous planning ahead.

And it's not out-of-the-realm of possibility that "the wrong hands" got a hold of that meticulous planning.

And it's certainly not-out-of-the-realm of possibility that there's other stuff Zatanna's mind wipe of Batman made him forget about, like the extent of his meticulous planning...

Not sure how fun it is to *play* in a universe like that, but *managing* one sure is easy.

The most "powerful" gamer at the table is the GM. He describes the effects your character's FEATs have upon / within the game "reality." His edicts should be fair, balanced, and further, universally applied.

Your character lives in a world that has suffered both 9/11 and the destruction of Coast City.

Yeah, go ahead and sling some firepower around. I dare ya.

-----
Re: Ready to rock....
December 23, 2007 01:30AM
I sent you my character let me know if you have any ideas on him. I am looking forward to playing. I hope what I sent gave you an idea of what type of character I would like to use.
I remain,
Grendel Prime
December 23, 2007 12:37PM
Check your PMs, Grendel-Prime.

-----
December 27, 2007 01:51PM
Beyonder,

Sent you a potential character. Please respond with your opinions/comments/ect..

Your Humble Servant

Gene

genek5@yahoo.com
December 29, 2007 12:16AM
Purple sounds great idea! I would love in. Beyonders I sent you a character to look over.

Thanks!

StormTigger
Character Submissions closed!!!
December 29, 2007 02:36AM
I've got six players:

- Incognito
- The Rook
- NiniriAZ
- Nightmask
- YOUR HUMBLE SERVANT
- StormTigger

Possibly 7 if Grendel Prime still wants in.

Still taking recruits for Judges though :)

-----
Slot Open
December 31, 2007 02:12PM
To all those interested in the Purple Multiverse a slot has opened up as the GM, having decided to make his disagreement with myself over questions as to what Micro-Environement can do personal and draw totally groundless conclusions from that has ejected me from the game before it's even been started. Therefore there is apparently room for one more person after all, and if anyone wants they may feel free to use the character I created since it's already been approved for play and I think someone any player would be quite happy to play.

That is all.

-- Peter David

Re: Slot Open
December 31, 2007 08:22PM
I'm sorry to hear that a debate over power usage has gone this far. It is unfortunate to say the least.

TLD
December 31, 2007 08:29PM
Particularly one not even relevant to anything since my character didn't have it, I was of the position of the power being less powerful instead of demanding it be more which is the position a trouble player would take and a forum-dispute outside any game context where you're more likely to have someone speak freely and disagree than inside a game where the player wouldn't want to risk GM bias against his character. Inside a game and outside a game are completely separate situations, or at least _should_ be if you're trying to be a fair and impartial GM, or player for that matter.

-- Peter David

December 31, 2007 08:47PM
Any chance of working it out with The Beyonders?

There is something to be said for having an intense debate and then moving on. Your opinion of how Micro-Environment works really means nothing in his game anyway. In his game it works however he wants it to and I know you would respect that when being a player in his campaign.

TLD
December 31, 2007 08:59PM
To avoid being falsely accused of attempting to undermine his efforts to create his game check your PMs for my reply. Since as you know I try to be as courteous and non-confrontational as others allow.

-- Peter David

December 31, 2007 09:08PM
I've had a head ache for days...thanks to whacky weather.
We're going from 27 degrees at night last week to having
our highs back into the upper 60s and low 70s this week.

And now this...

This whole thing is the kinda thing I was talking about
the other day when I said I was wondering about things,
including gaming and the forums here...

I'm going to go hide for a while, and hope my freakin'
migraine will go away and not chase me into the new year!

Niniri

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.