Ready to rock....

Posted by The Beyonders 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Purple Multiverse Forum Campaign New Character Creation Rules version 1.0
December 17, 2007 02:57PM
Hmmmm, another question would be with the Business/Finance talent, it states ones starting Resource Rank is Remarkable, so if someone selects it do they then get that in place of the Feeble rank you list as the base starting rank?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
December 17, 2007 05:41PM
"I use my Feeble Reality Alteration to give myself Class 5000 Reality Alteration for 1 round..."
"You did what?"
"Exactly.

Ok, as a Judge, I know that's bad, but break it down for me as to the effects?
December 17, 2007 07:49PM
Very poor GMing I'd think, considering by that logic the character could give themselves any power that they wanted at CL5000 rank just be having Feeble Reality Manipulation, which is like wishing for more wishes in AD&D. With such a weak ability to manipulate reality the best you should be able to do is try and fake other powers at Feeble rank, certainly not CL5000 rank.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

December 18, 2007 12:37AM
Well, the basic premise behind "The Purple Multiverse" is that the Marvel and DC multiverses were NEVER separate entities.

That's a whole lot of extradimensional real estate to tie in, not to mention the natural conflicts of "Morpheus vs. Nightmare, who rules the Dimension of Dreams" type questions to answer. These are not things I want to just slipshod answer on the fly.

Frankly, the "which city states of Atlantis do Namor and Aquaman rule?" type questions are the level I'm chewing on right now. There's enough going on Purple Earth that needs to be staked out before we venture into the mysteries of the Multiverse just yet. Right now, any kind of "dimension travel" or "extradimensional detection" lets you take in the full view of a psuedo-limbo realm with a sign that says "Under Construction."

Seriously. That's why I say "we" - I want help with this from other players / judges interested in running a Multiversal network campaign. I envision a "council of Judges" that will work together to make this shared continuity campaign idea work *so that we can all have fun in it*. If heroes in New York stop a giant robot, heroes in Los Angeles should learn about it on TV, that sort of thing. If there's a major character death on the other side of the planet, who knows / cares enough to attend the funeral? If Batman decides a coming President Luthor administration's Secret War with Latveria has gone too far, who gets a slot on his Outsiders team? If Dr. Strange needs to borrow your character's services to investigate the nature of "Bleed Magic" on some Secret Defenders mission, who goes with you? The possibilities make me wish I could clone myself and work day and night on it

But alas, my stats are all Typical.

This "Purple Multiverse" is a project - *I want it to grow to answer these kinds of questions - even questions I haven't thought of yet.*

Let's build the setting before we wreck it. The way I see it, this isn't "my" project, it belongs to everyone who helps build it. If there is a day some year or so from now that I can step away from Judgehood and just be a player, I'll be proud. Ten years from now, if there's still a "Purple Multiverse" network of shared-universe gaming going on, wouldn't that be something?

But enough dreaming. Help me lift this thing.

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
December 18, 2007 01:06AM
There's an oversight on my part. I knew they would come. Please, keep them coming!

What I did with these character creation rules (which can and will change) was basically reverse-engineer the "give up resource ranks to gain Power, Talent, and Contacts" slots.

Nobody's character sheets are *final.* That's a few steps down the path from here.

The "Feeble" Resources rank is just a place holder setting, just like the rubber chicken (undefined Gadget of Poor material strength with Poor Power) slots are.

I want people to make what character they can with these rules, with my eye towards balance and your eye towards "what you want", and then we refine it from there.

To answer your question, yes Business / Finance talent will start your *finalized* character at Remarkable resources.

But *finalized* has a lot of fluid steps between here and there.

For example, some power restrictions in the UPB give +2cs to a power's rank....

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
December 18, 2007 01:15AM
It's a joke few people get.

Feeble Reality Manipulation at best would keep dropped toast from landing butter side down, hehehe.

-----
December 18, 2007 06:13AM
Well I do like to look things over and ask about whatever seems to have contradictions or ommissions to help out. With the layout of the UPB I think the available power slots could use a few bumps up as many of its powers are more specialized, hard to have a range of freedom in some of the selections with just 5 power slots available.

-- Peter David

December 18, 2007 06:20AM
Haven't GM'd anything in 20 years, although as you can see I do try and contribute where I can, then again haven't enjoyed any RP, good or otherwise, in probably a decade either. So do need some outlets in that regard.

-- Peter David

December 18, 2007 06:41AM
I think your comics knowledge, at least what I've seen so far, will come in handy to flesh stuff out that would have to "share the same space: out equitably, if not more Marvel-ish in priority. (Which is A-OK) Especially as game time will commence at least some "sliding time scale" years BEFORE Civil War. When I post the "History of the Purple Multiverse" for everyone to throw Excellent material tomatoes at, I hope you'll help with fixes and spackle.

I see Checkmate as powerful subdivision of SHIELD. Not a bad idea considering Dr. Doom, Magneto, Black Adam, Black Panther (and eventually Lex Luthor), etc. will all rule nations on Purple Earth...

-----
December 18, 2007 07:01AM
Well I do have a pretty good memory for most of the 80s and 90s, not so much the 70s as a kid simply didn't have access to the money or comic stores to be as read-up on things during that era.

-- Peter David

December 18, 2007 07:06AM
So do you think there should be more power slots available, or perhaps a way to purchase extra power slots by dropping say, 2 ranks from your starting AM IN IN RM RM EX EX stats for a power slot at Remarkable or extra rubber chicken gadget slot at Good material / Good power slot]?

If the Purple Multiverse were a comic book continuity we could all run down to the drugstore and beg mom for 50 cents to buy it for us so we'll stay quiet in the car ride home (showing my age here), your character's first in-game appearance IS his debut issue. I'd even like to role play out origin stories with players who want to do that.

The point is, "we" don't know what your character can do. The story isn't told yet.

;)

-----
December 18, 2007 07:33AM
I think more power slots should be available, or something along the lines of (5 power slots +1Dx) powers for some random ranges, and for the powers instead of locked in starting at Good use the table in the Player's book to do random adjustments to the rank of each power which would generate a range from Typical to Amazing and let them spend some ranks to increase from there. You want to give more range to the powers and a chance at being more impressive, since the point of things is everyone having fun and the chance to be larger-than-life. Hard to create some of the archtypes as things are currently, like the bruiser you see in the case of the Thing (or Brick as some like to call them), or the Speedster.

-- Peter David

December 18, 2007 08:15AM
I guess I'm trying to keep a grip on the reins as far as "debut" power levels. I don't want new characters to be quite "ready" for Avengers or Justice League level threats right off the bat, nor do I want new characters to get their butts handed to them by a single member of Power Pack.

The key here is that new characters will be emerging in a world already full of sharks they must learn to swim with.

Use of Amazing level destructive power - from tossing tanks around to disintegrating them - is going to get you noticed. In the bad sense of "notice," since superheroes tend to greet each other with punches.

Wouldn't you rather have a team working with you when that happens?

Even small fries have a part.

-----
December 18, 2007 09:13AM
I guess I just feel more comfortable starting out more X-men/FF/Avengers level than The Mystery Men or Ex-Mutants, since as you say it's already a very crowded and populated world with sharks and better to be a dolphin than chum.

-- Peter David

December 18, 2007 05:42PM
I can see both The Beyonders and Nightmask's points (going with male pronouns, so take no offense).

What Nightmask wants is to be able to play something he can enjoy, without having to really worry about being too weak or too strong, or too constricted.

As for The Beyonders, he wants help in defining a universe that is, just by idea alone, very complex, and will take loads of work, especially for those who actually *know* about the comics in question. Plus, at the same time, the restrictions in the new character layout are, in my opinion, as if superheroes existed since the dawn of time...and you are a New Universe hero/heroine premiering on the scene. Although powerful in your own right, compared to normal humans (even high end normal humans, such as Iron Fist, Hawkeye, Karate Kid), you are still a new kid on the block, and if faced with someone of Captain America's skills, or She-Hulk's raw strength, you'll think four times if solo, and twice if part of a team.

A new hero/heroine will also enable those working on the project (which I'll help the best I can, my comic knowledge is limited, and way out of date) to slowly interact with the world and flesh it out. Rather than hack at the sculpture (such as starting off in a PBEM as X-Men/Avenger/JLA strength), time, skill, and effort will be taken to carve it, one graceful line at a time (which is easier to do if the heroes/heroines are Power Pack, Spiderman, Ex-Mutant, Teen Titan power levels).

Hope that helps.
December 19, 2007 12:09AM
That's my basic premise, and more...

If the "team" of assembled new player characters becomes a force to be reckoned with on Purple Earth or if the team-up flops and they go their separate ways, I want to see ROLE-PLAYING, not so much color by numbers "gaming."

If your character with Amazing psyche starts whining about all the carnage that seems to follow him, maybe he isn't as confident as you think he is.

-----
December 19, 2007 09:45AM
Except you generally don't become a force to be reckoned with when you have good-ranked powers and going by the Classic rulebooks the costs are so high you'll almost never be able to afford rising more than a rank if that. Players want to feel growth from game to game and with much of their experience generally going towards helping them win the day they don't get to spend anything towards advancement or not much at all. There needs to be some adjustment to allow for faster advancement and better than good power ranks to start, especially with a game that's played online rather than the faster pace of everyone together and RPing together face-to-face.

-- Peter David

December 19, 2007 08:03PM
Valid points, from both Beyonders and Nightmask. Beyonders' limitations/outline of how to make your character keeps it low powered (New Universe-ish), allowing them to rise up through the issues (Spidey wasn't as strong, or as nimble as he is now when he first premiered). But at the same time, I'm sure Beyonders has a somewhat cheaper version of powers/abilities, especially if the game has many turns/sessions.
Behind the Source Wall, heheh...
December 21, 2007 05:17AM
About advancement and starting levels being New Universe, ehhhh...

Yes, and no. New Universe characters ranged from Nightmask (no relation to our Nightmask, I don't think) who could enter the dreams of sleeping people to the freakin' Star Brand, which could do *anything* concievably, from jump.

The character creation rules I've set here merely give me a guideline of the direction you want your character to go (Heavy on primary stats and low powers, mid-range primary stats / powers, low primaries and high powers, etc). Really all I'm asking is for a thumbnail sketch of these priorities and a solidly written origin / background story. Then I work to give you what you want (and what I can stop, should your character say #$%# this superheroin' #$%# let's go rob a bank...)

The Rook has submitted a very cool character to me and I took what he had and counter-proposed a single custom home-made power that does just about everything a sloppy combination of the powers he chose could do, and refined it to purity of to what I think is the biz-zippity-bomb. I hope he likes it. If he does we can move on to the *finalized* version, which will probably give Captain America / Batman level hand-to-hand fighters a rough time indeed, among other things just too damn cool for you to know about out-of-character. ;)

NiniriAZ's "alien" character [as of this writing] isn't fleshed out enough to judge / counter-propose upon.

Of Nightmask's proposal(s), most of my conflicts are with the origin story itself, but I can work around that as soon as he chooses which character he wants to play, or submits a different one.

So, it isn't like I don't want you to push the envelope. I just want to be the one of the two scenes Val Kilmer as Batman got right - the scene where Robin says "You can't stop me" and Bruce / Bats stands up and says "*I* can stop you."

I mean, if my NPCs have to. Kids and their super-powers.... ;)

-----
Re: Behind the Source Wall, heheh...
December 21, 2007 05:35AM
Although I certainly beg to differ with a characterization of my chosen powers as "sloppy" (I'm funnin' with you here, TB ), most of what he said is right-on.

Ahem, especially the part about it being the biz-zippity-bomb.

Your new Russian friend (foreshadowing, anyone?),

The Rook

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2007 05:35AM by The Rook.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.