Ready to rock....

Posted by The Beyonders 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Ready to rock....
December 14, 2007 09:46AM
Nightmask, I play mostly online, with some tabletop where/when I can, but almost always, I'm the Judge/DM/GM. So far, I've never had the chance to play some systems as a player (hence my comment of always being a Judge).

For instance, I've never been a player in: Marvel Superheroes, DC Heroes, Champions, Shadowrun, Star Wars, Deadlands, Hackmaster, Bubblegum Crisis and GURPS. Always a Judge/GM/DM, never a player in the above mentioned games.

As for a merged universe, it depends on the players/Judge. If it's like me (hopefully, I can get this group a kick in the butt to play, hard to do when their serious MMOers, and new to pen & paper RPGs), with new players (who know very little about either universe) having what they know from each universe is helpful.
December 14, 2007 09:48AM
I'm willing to play. All I need is what power level you want to run this at. I also am interested in a combined Marvel/DC campaign.
December 14, 2007 11:13AM
Ahhh, okay. While I enjoy crossovers mixed realities gets to be too confusing generally, especially if you're familiar with one/both/all the mixed realities blended to create the new reality. It's like trying to sort out what's canon and what isn't with the Legion of Super-Heroes after dozens of from scratch rewrites and retcons. Eventually you just toss your hands up and surrender.

I haven't gotten to play either end for most of the RPGs I've got and would like to play in myself, including DC, all the various Palladium RPGs I've got (which is most), Dark Suns campaign world, Furry Outlaws, Albedo, Ironclaw, Jadeclaw, and other more obscure ones not coming immediately to mind.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
December 14, 2007 11:15AM
Knowing the desired power level is definitely important, especially how they're defined. My character Paragon for example is considerably more powerful than Cornucopia, even though the latter has all those CL1000 powers.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

December 14, 2007 02:32PM
Well, I have spent a lot of time "Marvel-izing" the DC chronology.... (Because DC-izing the Marvel chronology is impossible, as Marvel is rather fixed, and DC is rebooted every other year...) Most of my tweaks to "major crossover events" tweak DC events to fit Marvel "major crossover events" not vice versa.
December 14, 2007 02:39PM
I haven't quite decided what the starting level power is for "the new team" other than a vague "leave room for growth / experience."

I'll get back to y'all on that.
December 14, 2007 02:43PM
Yikes...

I see I'm creating a bottleneck here. Let me study the various "character creation rules" out there and present the "definitive" one (for this game) later.
December 15, 2007 02:22AM
Hey Beyonders,

Consider me as interested in being one of the "piggy-back" judges in your shared-world game concept. That way, should you want, you too can "get your hero on, yo". ;)

The Rook
December 15, 2007 04:13AM
Okay. Point systems unfortunately tend to lock things down into lower-powered heroes and require more math than some players care for. There's also the question as to how the players feel about obvious power level differences. Someone with Unearthly Hyper-Invention, Weapons Tinkering, Total Memory, and Linguistics isn't anywhere as combat-powerful as someone with even just Incredible Fire Generation and Control. Both characters would be great on a team though and have their places without any reason to consider one 'better' than the other.

I think it works best when everyone has a good character concept, rather than 'everyone gets 200/400/etc. points to spend on their character and that's it'. Many teams have characters with a range of what could be considered point expenditures (the original Avengers for example with someone as powerful as Thor and the Hulk, and someone as weak in comparison as the Wasp) yet they succeed in working together in spite of that.

-- Peter David

December 15, 2007 04:20AM
I agree, and also I don't want to discourage ingenuity. What if your character's power isn't in any book, but you just made it up? Tell me how it works and what its upper limits are and we negotiate from there.

I've got a very interesting character that will be an NPC who's powers are best described as "weird." By losing the ability to speak, he can transfer his speaking ability to an object. Useless, huh? ;)

Wait until he "loses" the ability to see.

;)
December 15, 2007 04:33AM
Very cool!

It's going to be fun running the "summer crossover event" next summer.

:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2007 04:33AM by The Beyonders.
December 15, 2007 04:37AM
That will definitely be cool. :D

Just let me know what you need from me (e-mail or here, whatever), and we'll go from there!

The Rook
December 15, 2007 05:11AM
Wouldn't that just be the power of Ventriloquism with the limitation that it must be used through an object, and the sight pretty much the same thing with Sensory Link?

Oh I gave a few unique or power variations with Paragon and a few other characters I worked up, and more than a few of the official power write-ups give the character different powers than expected or in the books.

-- Peter David

December 15, 2007 05:55AM
Well, I don't want to give too much away about *the way* this NPC's powers work (because he's an NPC) but basically whatever non-living object he transfers (by touch only) his speech (or sight or hearing) to leaves him mute or blind or deaf for 24 hours or until he touches the object again to "retrieve" it. He can't transfer more than one ability (of the three) to an object. If the object is destroyed, he must make a Red Psyche FEAT or take damage equal to the material strength of the object and be stunned for 1-10 rounds.

When he transfers his speech, his mouth disappears. But the object does not grow a mouth, it simply emits his voice (usually for the "oh my god the toaster is possessed" effect) Same with his sight. If he "puts" it on the front of a car, his eyes dissappear (Just flat skin where his eyes and eye sockets were) he'll see everything in front of that car, and possible get motion sickness if the car goes somewhere. It also keeps him awake (because he can't blink). Meanwhile, he's blind to his surroundings AND recieving normal human sight sensory input from an object that may be miles away. And yes, *it makes him crazy.* He doesn't like to use this aspect of his power. The hearing power works the same way. His ears disappear, leaving no holes, but the object becomes a listening device. And if that object is moving...vertigo, as he has no sense of balance without ears.

Toldja he was "weird."
Re: To toss something out there...
December 15, 2007 08:37PM
Yep, I like play-by-email. :) And check your PM's Beyonders.

Cheers,

Niniri

Purple Multiverse Forum Campaign New Character Creation Rules version 1.0
December 17, 2007 03:23AM
"Original" Origin Stories

1.) New characters may not be acquaintances, friends, neighbors, or long-lost / blood relatives of established Marvel or DC universe characters or their supporting cast. New characters may (with strict Judge's approval) be an acquaintance, friend, neighbor, or long-lost / blood relative of another new character, as long as these are NEVER played by the same player simultaneously.

2.) New characters may not be employees or members of or have ever been employed by or a member of any superhero group, super villain group, business, corporation, alien race, pantheon, secret government agency or product thereof (android / robot / battlesuit, Super Soldier, mad scientist experiment, etc.) that appears within the canonical Marvel or DC universes. [This will change when I've nailed down the SHIELD / Checkmate hierarchy to my liking, which is just one example of many] "Accident" origin by strict approval.

3.) The One True Faith Bible of the Purple Multiverse Campaign has four Gospels: The "classic" Advanced Players Book, The "classic" Advanced Judge's Guide, The Ultimate Powers Book (with Netbook addenda), and the "classic" Realms of Magic sourcebooks. Note that I do not use the extended 4-color Universal Table (with the "blue" results and the Fantastic, Spectacular, and Wondrous ranks) Have fun creating your character. Or die, infidel.

4.) Primary Skills: No FASERIP stats higher than Amazing, no more than one Amazing primary skill stat, no more than two stats with any Incredible or less rank (up to 230 points worth, if you're counting. AM, IN, IN, RM, RM, EX, EX)

5.) Secondary Skills: Everyone "starts" with:

Feeble Resources
5 Power slots
4 Talent slots
3 Contact slots

You ain't nobody (yet) - Popularity is Typical (2). (Would-be Popularity dependent magic users take note - your starting character has never entreated any extra-dimensional magic source, ever. [yet.] New characters *should not be discouraged by this muhahaha* ;)

6.) To raise the starting Resource rank for your character, sell a Power slot (for +2 Resource ranks), sell a Talent slot or Contact slot (for +1 Resource rank). Resources may not be raised higher than Incredible this way.

7.) Note that some powers in the APB and UPB cost two or more power slots. All new characters' Powers "start" at Good rank. To raise the "starting" rank of a Power, drop one of the Primary FASERIP ranks by 1 column rank to add 1 column rank to a power level. No single Power may be raised to exceed Incredible rank through this buyback method. To raise a Power's "starting" rank above Incredible (to a max of Unearthly) give up a Power slot (for +2 ranks in a Power).

8.) Gadgets-R-Us: A player may give up a Power slot to possess a starting item or gadget of some kind. Worn body armor counts as its own gadget / Power slot. The same restrictions on Power rank levels and the way to improve them apply to each new Gadget's stats except that no Gadget may have a Power or material strength with a rank over Remarkable [exception, - powersuit gadgets, see below] All starting complex Gadgets with Powers have Poor material strength and one Power of Poor rank. It costs one starting character Power slot to add additional powers to the same Gadget.

9.) Powered armored suits and vehicles count as two power slots (one slot covers the FASERIP abilities of your character-wearing-the-powersuit or the vehicle's Control-Speed-Body stats, as assigned above. The other slot is the rank of the physical protection the powersuit / vehicle provides)

*feel constrained? Still? What's your origin story? What are you trying to do? Let's talk...*

10.) Banned Powers List [fer now, heh]:

Cosmic Awareness
Dimensional Travel
Time Control
Extradimensional Detection
Weapons Creation
Weapons Tinkering
Magic Creation
Reality Alteration
Artifact Creation
Energy Source Creation
Time Travel

- or any power stunt derived from other powers to achieve the effects of the powers listed above.

11.) What happens in the Purple Multiverse stays in the Purple Multiverse: What you do with your character outside this game campaign / continuity is your business. Your character belongs to you. His in-game experiences in the Purple Multiverse will belong to us.

12.) These rules will create a moderately powerful character. Don't think you're the only one who can *muhahahaha*
Re: Purple Multiverse Forum Campaign New Character Creation Rules version 1.1
December 17, 2007 03:41AM
"Original" Origin Stories

1.) New characters may not be acquaintances, friends, neighbors, or long-lost / blood relatives of established Marvel or DC universe characters or their supporting cast. New characters may (with strict Judge's approval) be an acquaintance, friend, neighbor, or long-lost / blood relative of another new character, as long as these are NEVER played by the same player simultaneously.

2.) New characters may not be employees or members of or have ever been employed by or a member of any superhero group, super villain group, business, corporation, alien race, pantheon, secret government agency or product thereof (android / robot / battlesuit, Super Soldier, mad scientist experiment, etc.) that appears within the canonical Marvel or DC universes. [This will change when I've nailed down the SHIELD / Checkmate hierarchy to my liking, which is just one example of many] "Accident" origin by strict approval.

3.) The One True Faith Bible of the Purple Multiverse Campaign has four Gospels: The "classic" Advanced Players Book, The "classic" Advanced Judge's Guide, The Ultimate Powers Book (with Netbook addenda), and the "classic" Realms of Magic sourcebooks. Note that I do not use the extended 4-color Universal Table (with the "blue" results and the Fantastic, Spectacular, and Wondrous ranks) Have fun creating your character. Or die, infidel.

4.) Primary Skills: No FASERIP stats higher than Amazing, no more than one Amazing primary skill stat, no more than two stats with any Incredible or less rank (up to 230 points worth, if you're counting. AM, IN, IN, RM, RM, EX, EX)

5.) Secondary Skills: Everyone "starts" with:

Feeble Resources

5 Power slots

4 Talent slots

3 Contact slots

You ain't nobody (yet) - Popularity is Typical (2). (Would-be Popularity dependent magic users take note - your starting character has never entreated any extra-dimensional magic source, ever. [yet.] New characters *should not be discouraged by this muhahaha* ;)

6.) To raise the starting Resource rank for your character, sell a Power slot (for +2 Resource ranks), sell a Talent slot or Contact slot (for +1 Resource rank). Resources may not be raised higher than Incredible this way.

7.) Note that some powers in the APB and UPB cost two or more power slots. All new characters' Powers "start" at Good rank. To raise the "starting" rank of a Power, drop one of the Primary FASERIP ranks by 1 column rank to add 1 column rank to a power level. No single Power may be raised to exceed Incredible rank through this buyback method. To raise a Power's "starting" rank above Incredible (to a max of Unearthly) give up a Power slot (for +2 ranks in a Power).

8.) Gadgets-R-Us: A player may give up a Power slot to possess a starting item or gadget of some kind. Worn body armor counts as its own gadget / Power slot. The same restrictions on Power rank levels and the way to improve them apply to each new Gadget's stats except that no Gadget may have a Power or material strength with a rank over Remarkable [exception, - powersuit gadgets, see below] All starting complex Gadgets with Powers have Poor material strength and one Power of Poor rank. It costs one starting character Power slot to add additional powers to the same Gadget.

9.) Powered armored suits and vehicles count as two power slots (one slot covers the FASERIP abilities of your character-wearing-the-powersuit or the vehicle's Control-Speed-Body stats, as assigned above. The other slot is the rank of the physical protection the powersuit / vehicle provides)

*feel constrained? Still? What's your origin story? What are you trying to do? Let's talk...*

10.) Banned Powers List [fer now, heh]:

Cosmic Awareness

Dimensional Travel

Time Control

Extradimensional Detection

Weapons Creation

Weapons Tinkering

Magic Creation

Reality Alteration

Artifact Creation

Energy Source Creation

Time Travel

*or any power stunt derived from other powers to achieve the effects of the powers listed above*

11.) What happens in the Purple Multiverse stays in the Purple Multiverse: What you do with your character outside this game campaign / continuity is your business. Your character belongs to you. His in-game experiences in the Purple Multiverse will belong to us.

12.) These rules can potentially create a moderately powerful character. Don't think you're the only one who can *muhahahaha*

13.) Each character submission will undergo a rigorous overview process *It's my JOB to know your character better than you do* before entered into gameplay. Origin stories and power descriptions are a selling point. The final product will be agreeable to both the player and the Judge.

Submit your character through private message to me here at classicmarvel.com AND to me through email to mephistocracy at aol.com
Re: Purple Multiverse Forum Campaign New Character Creation Rules version 1.0
December 17, 2007 09:09AM
Seems exceptionally restrictive, particularly given the limited starting ranks for powers, and what exactly is the rationale that Cosmic Awareness, Extradimensional Detection, and Dimension Travel are too powerful for starting? I can see the concerns with Weapons Tinkering, although again with the restrictions on power rank the chance of building anything powerful without sacrificing a lot of starting powers/talents/etc to boost your starting rank seems again to balance things.

-- Peter David

December 17, 2007 02:22PM
Cosmic Awareness, Extradimensional Detection, and Dimension Travel are probably not going to be permanently "banned."

I'm just not ready to run NPCs or take players to "other realities" that would have an effect on game play.... yet.

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
December 17, 2007 02:41PM
Well unless you had a player actively trying to range across realities (not likely with a Good rank in the power anyway, given what it takes to learn new dimensions) the power wouldn't be good for much more than giving the PC a separate reality he can easily retreat to in an emergency.

How about the question of limitations for starting ranks and powers, both ranks and how many one can start with? I think it almost exactly matches with being able to create Spider-man, which I gather is the level you feel comfortable starting at?

-- Peter David

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.