What power would you choose?

Posted by psiman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: What power would you choose?
January 15, 2008 02:55AM
I guess we'll have to disagree on that one then, as I don't believe even given the time allowed in Immortality any average person could rise up to an Incredible or Amazing Reason even if he devoted himself to cerebral activities that'd work his RIP constantly. The brain can only develop so much before you're using all the potential your genes have granted you, unless you're thinking to factor in developments in science that might let you realize that potential if you lived long enough, much like the immortal man Hedrock in the Weapon Shops of Ishtar novel series from decades ago. He however started as a scientist, so was already at Excellent to Remarkable Reason before achieving his Amazing level of Reason as we see in the novels and used various techniques of science over time to advance his mind. I just don't see someone with a Typical or Good Reason working up to Amazing.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 15, 2008 03:01AM
With thousands of years you don't see someone with Typical Reason working up to Incredible or Amazing?

We are talking about all the time in the world. I'll concede that the mind and body are parts of the same whole and therefore limited by the maximums set out by the game. An immortal character should be able to with enough study, training and discipline, reach his potential. There is of course the possibility that a given individual has less potential than another. In my statement lets assume that the character in question is entitled to his full mental and physical potential.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 15, 2008 03:09AM
The reality is that both aspects would improve to a limit... Your reason and intuition would improve, but not continuously. The same for your ASE... Very likely, you'd wind up with the maximums set by the human table... somewhere in the neighborhood of

A: Remarkable

S: Excellent

E: Incredible

R: Remarkable

I: Remarkable

Fighting and Psyche would likely not improve to any significant degree since those are not things that you would be focused on (unless your career involved fighting, but then you would have to go public with your immortality)... To go higher than Remarkable in anything would pretty-much require artificial enhancement, as would anything higher than Excellent Strength unless you were physically gifted with an enormous frame. Incredible endurance would probably be possible though, since the physical exertion that your body can take from that manner of taxation is beyond what it will take in a power movement... the natural limit for a power movement would not allow you to lift something. The natural movement for endurance exertion would be death, but since that would not be an issue for you, you could probably hit Incredible.
January 15, 2008 03:19AM
That is exactly what I am saying. I'm not favoring either FASE or RIP. I'm simply stating that the rank maximums in the game for RIP are slightly higher than they are for FASE. I think if you gave a Normal Human a few thousand year to work on it I could max out all of my Primary Abilities.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 15, 2008 03:26AM
I think the average person likely wouldn't have the drive to exploit his maximums even if his genetic potential allowed for it. Generally speaking when you look at stories about such beings they're always exceptional in some fashion, when truthfully the odds are against an exceptional person (like Einstein) coming up Immortal or exploiting that to improve themselves to their peak potential. I concede it's not impossible that someone would realize that they were immortal and choose to improve themselves to their ultimate potential but human nature is such he'd more likely just look at how to exploit it for luxury down the line and arrange for a comfy existence till the sun burns out or he finds a way to travel into space or encourage mankind into space so he'd have a longer wait before being trapped on a burned out world or roasting for eternity as the sun he's trapped in becomes a black dwarf until the Heat Death of the Universe.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

January 15, 2008 03:42AM
I'm still not sure you could max out Psyche regardless of how much time you had... Not a lot of mental or magical ways to train it...
January 15, 2008 04:40AM
Psyche's more than just resisting mental or magical events or manipulating them, it's strength of will and resolve to keep your mind intact against mind-threatening events. Living thousands of years you'd endure countless things that'd threaten your mind and strain your sanity.

-- Peter David

January 15, 2008 06:05AM
Yeah, but I don't think you could ever max out your psyche in the marvel sense on just the trials and tribulations of life...
January 15, 2008 06:10AM
If an immortal character wanted to achieve his maximum potential and had thousands of year to do it, he could do it. Obviously he would have to have the discipline. That is true for anything. Having time on your side helps.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 15, 2008 08:22AM
Depends on where your life is, plenty of people in Africa getting their Psyche's worked VERY hard for example. Now consider living through that kind of stuff repeatedly over the centuries. Most people don't think about just how hard a lot of the world really has it and the work their minds have to learn to endure or end up broken because of.

-- Peter David

January 15, 2008 07:10PM
Like anything else, your psyche would eventually have to step it up in order to step it up... If you just keep pressing 200lbs for 500 years, you're never going to max out your strength unless you start using more weight at some point...

If a certain stimulus requires say, a good psyche feat to resist (hardship, ect...) you would really struggle at first with typical, but if you didn't lose your mind you would eventually work up to good so it would be hard but doable to get through... then if you continued to experience this, you would eventually work up to excellent, where it would become fairly easy and routine to deal with... you might even eventually work up to remarkable, but not likely, and that would be about it until you had to experience something more intense for a sustained period of time...
February 02, 2008 09:38PM
For years I would have said Superspeed, because I've always loved the Flash and all the dazzling stuff he does with it. But after further thought, a lot of it, I would now say Healing. After losing a mother to Lou Gehrig's disease and seeing what such a horrible thing can do it is my opinion that such a monster shouldn't exist. I don't want to duke it out with giant slugs or alien slime monsters, I'd rather take care of the horrors that take our loved ones like thieves in the night. I'd heal away every injustice I could find. The child infected with AIDS, people dying of incurable illnesses like cancer and MS and the lame, paralyzed and amputees. If I could have any one power, that would be it.
February 02, 2008 09:55PM
I lost a great-aunt to cancer just a few years ago myself, so I know that desire to have that kind of power. The only reason I tend to avoid it for any character that's meant to be an avatar of myself is that it's a bit too much on the wish-fullfillment side, since I can't have her back in reality and pretending I could in a fantasy like that wouldn't change that and just hurt instead.

-- Peter David

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.