What power would you choose?

Posted by psiman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: What power would you choose?
January 01, 2008 05:15PM
Definitely worth it, especially if you haven't too many powers or a lot of high ranks in everything but the Focus power. Although some powers probably shouldn't qualify or if they do shouldn't give a full rank conversion. After all is it really fair and balanced for someone with several Invulnerabilities get to go 'I focus on my Strength so I can have CL1000 strength' and basically reduce to mist any target?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 01, 2008 05:30PM
If you are in a situation that calls for Class1000 Strength....you might not survive the following roung when all your ranks drop to Feeble. But, I agree, it is a little insane to use Invulnerabilities in the math for Focus.

TLD
January 01, 2008 05:41PM
I used to think that was a nice little trick, at least when I first encountered the UPB when it came out over 20 years ago, but realized it was wrong to include things like Invulnerabilities in that instead of being so literal about it and apply more common-sense restrictions on it. It would have to be a very wierd or unique situation where the ranks of an Invulnerability could be considered personal energy one could focus into one burst like Focus allows.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

January 01, 2008 05:47PM
Well, I had a dream last night that I could fly, and it was pretty sweet...
Unaided self flight, possibly by means of gravity redirection.
January 01, 2008 06:13PM
One way to handle that is just to allow 75 points of every Invulnerability into the Focus Power. The reason I say that is because the highest rank you can roll for a Power is Monstrous. It's more realistic than 1000 points and it allows the Player to get something out of those type of Powers when Focusing.

TLD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2008 06:14PM by The Last Duskblade.
January 01, 2008 06:21PM
Well a few powers allow you to have higher than Monstrous rank at start (The Elemental and Molecular Conversion powers for example), so it's not impossible to have even CL5000 rank Effect in those powers at the cost of range, although more likely end up with Shift Z Effect while reducing range to Feeble. Straight up ranks though without taking a seriously debilitating Limitation you're right you couldn't start a power over Monstrous (could conceivably do so with the FASERIP depending upon body type and how good you roll dice or your GM allows).

-- Peter David

January 01, 2008 07:00PM
In the case of the various Elemental and Molecular Conversion Powers, you would take the Rank Number rolled initially to determine its effect on the Focus.

That is how I play it anyway.

TLD
Joe
Focus
January 01, 2008 08:14PM
What about a case where you use Focus and Self-Duplication?
Re: Focus
January 01, 2008 08:22PM
Genius. Good idea.

There is also the Focus of an Energy Doppelganger. Wicked.

TLD
January 01, 2008 09:34PM
Course, then you have things like Focusing on your Power Vampirism.
You increase your ability to increase abilities, neither of which can increase themselves. Well, at least you'll be able to be really strong.
January 14, 2008 06:31PM
collin152,

Nice idea with the Vampirism. With that in mind you could constantly become more and more powerful. As long as you have a good supply of victims you would be unstoppable.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2008 06:41PM by The Last Duskblade.
January 14, 2008 10:06PM
If the power rank is not set and/or known ahead of my choosing, then I will take Immortality every time.
January 14, 2008 10:23PM
Good choice really, considering that with enough time you may be able to learn everything else. Or at least develop the technology to accomplish the other things.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 14, 2008 11:33PM
There are a whole lot of far more versatile and impressive powers on paper... but none of them beat time. In a vacuum (when circumstance and scenario are not accounted for), Immortality is the ultimate power.
January 14, 2008 11:38PM
Imagine too, how much your RIP statistics would increase over a few thousand years. Very cool.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 15, 2008 12:38AM
Truth be told, if I knew the the power rank was going to be at least Remarkable... I'd probably be tempted to take serial immortality rather than standard immortality... it's more versatile.
January 15, 2008 01:46AM
I think the only question you come up against with Immortality would be this: Would you want to outlive mankind and end up alone in the universe? While living indefinitely is nice when you don't know without some contact from God or a power to prove there's an existence beyond death would you want to live so long that you're sitting on Earth watching the sun turn to a red giant and consume everything, including you, or find yourself to escape that floating through space endlessly?

-- Peter David

January 15, 2008 01:57AM
Absolutely... it might suck at the end (and undoubtably at parts in-between)... but not as much as not being alive to see it...
January 15, 2008 02:38AM
I think you'd have more chance of increasing your FASE instead of your RIP, given mental faculties are only as good as you attempt to use them and you can only stretch your mind so much before you're maxed out. Depending on your memory though you might appear to have a higher RIP simply as a result of the talents you developed to compensate as you learned how to survive in changing eras, especially in regards to the skillsets needed to conceal yourself in each generation, which would grow more difficult as we develop more Big Brother style legislation, technology, and general track-everyone mindset.

-- Peter David

January 15, 2008 02:47AM
I'll have to disagree with you on that one brother. If we are talking about a Normal Human with Immortality then I would say that eventually you could reach all of the human maximums. Meaning that you RIP scores would be higher and more evolved (relatively and in game terms) then your body. The body has way more limits then the mind, even an immortal one.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.