Black Bolt's Cry: Truly CL1000?

Posted by Nightmask 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Black Bolt's Cry: Truly CL1000?
December 30, 2007 07:32AM
There's no air in space. He "screams" across the universe. Discuss amongst yourself how this happens if his powers are vibrational.

Or we could chalk it up to comic book physics :)
December 30, 2007 07:58AM
Obviously the screams of the version of Black Bolt in that continuity (Earth-X) work differently than the Black Bolt of regular continuity (Marvel-616)

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
January 03, 2008 12:04AM
i dont really see the arguement here unless this game has another standard for what a nuke is other than what the ultimate weapons guide provided

ATOMICS 1000 points damage, 5 area radius, 100 points, 10 areas beyond that, 75 points, 30 areas beyond that Monstrous radiation damage to any within that area for the next year.

BLACKBOLT from the fantastic four compendium-If Black Bolt whispers, he causes Shift-Y
brute force damage to everything within 10
areas. Conversational speaking causes Shift-Z
damage within 20 areas. Shouting causes full,
C 1000 damage to everything within 50 areas.
This is sufficient to completely destroy Attilan.

*in the original OHOTMU blackbolts full power was described as being equal to a nuclear weapon

thats all i know about nukes in this game but the actual yeild of the nukes is never mentioned. are all nukes cl1000? it'd make sense if cl000 was a multimegaton nuke/shiftz multikiloton, and maybe shift y would be mo-ab strength or sumthin
January 03, 2008 12:15AM
Nuclear devices do some in various ranges (I coincidentally while surfing around Wiki read up quite a bit on various types of nuclear devices). Everything from man-portable types at the threshold of how small you can make one and still get fusion to devices so powerful that they had to stop themselves in the 30megaton range because it was already so rediculously powerful at that point it could erase the entirely of NYC. Apparently they could build a gigaton nuclear device if they wanted to but it's just not of any value unless you want to destroy the planet and all life on it right down to the ocean floor.

Scale-wise I don't think Black Bolt's up there in the megaton nuclear device range, people being what they are they'd have murdered him a long time ago out of fear he'd destroy everything.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 03, 2008 10:44AM
not as power as a megaton nuke? maybe not, but its possible. not long ago reed and stark usedc his full power to rip open a tear in the fabric of time and space. blackbolt has also been said 2 have the power to destroy the moon. i hear he took a chunk out of the moon in world war hulk but im not sure.

the hulk has been said to hit with the forcr of hydrogen bombs and he can only reach shift z damage. i dont know it kinda hard wen the game only lists "atomics" in one broad group
January 03, 2008 05:32PM
I think that Richards and Stark were using Black Bolt more of a power source when they created that tear though, rather than BB doing it all on his own. Plus plenty of powers can end up doing that without requiring CL1000 level power. Magneto's created Gateways for example, and if he felt like it Graviton could as well. I don't think BB could create rifts like that on his own.

Oh I agree, the range of diversity in what qualifies as a Nuclear Device and its power levels is very iffy. I'm not even sure if a nuke should reach CL1000 levels, being cosmic in scope, and it's unlikely even a gigaton nuclear device could even bother Galactus let alone a Celestial. Seems likely though one would have to treat such a device as CL1000 simply because that should be beyond the capacity of anyone short of the Juggernaut to survive.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

January 04, 2008 04:36AM
u know this is a subject thats been bothering me for a while but i think ive got a good grasp on it let mer know what you think

class 1000 covers atomics, meaning all nukes, this is a fact. regardless of the nukes actual yeild in terms of tnt the blast strength will remain cl1000. what does differ from each nuke is the blast radius.

example
the bombs that hit nagasaki (21kt tnt) and hiroshima(12kt tnt)each effected an area of about 1 mile accourding to wikipedia. the "atomics" covered in the marvel weapons book effect a radius of 1.125 miles. now black bolts full power is also class 1000, but covers 1.25 miles.

so i think it safe to say that any nuke with a yeid in the kilotons of tnt are in the class 1000 category 1 way or another.

i agree that galactus should not be harmed by this, but there worse screw ups or oversights we could nitpick all day about.

personally i think all nukes in the megaton yeid range also belong in class 1000.

in the original OHOTMU Hyperion is specifically stated as being able to survive the heat, concusion, and radiation at ground zero of a 5 Megaton nuclear weapon detonation. that said Hyperions invulnerability to heat and radiation are class 1000. so they obviously wrote him to survive this kind of attack. a 5mt nuke would have a damage radius of 2-3 miles

now compare that with the full power of Terminus' plasma beam, which does class 3000 concussive damage as well
as Shift-Z heat and radiation damage. The power has a normal range of 16 million miles. unless my math is wrong that would destroy every thing on earth if its a 16 million mile area. either way theres no nuke that belongs there thats for sure

i think class 3000 and 5000 are the true cosmic, destroy everything, dbz kinda stuff yur thinking about
January 04, 2008 09:22AM
Well don't forget how much of an atomic blast is fire and heat. The rest is pressure. Galactus has Class 5000 resistance to fire and heat (and I maintain to Radiation as well), therefore, a nuke would do little if anything to him.

January 05, 2008 12:41AM
i cant argue with that
January 05, 2008 12:38PM
The energy from the blast would do one minor thing. It would probably energize him.
January 06, 2008 04:28AM
ree-he-heally? y do u say that
January 11, 2008 09:45PM
I don't know that Black Bolt has ever used his scream to its full potential. He is reluctant to use it given how much he might hurt someone. Maybe it could stay the same level but have the limitation that if he doesn't "pull his punch" and use it at a lower level that it will hurt everyone in a certain area range, regardless of Bolt's intention. If he were to say "scream" into a megaphone, how much damage could he do?
January 11, 2008 10:16PM
Black Bolt has a few times used his vibration power at full ability, and done a lot of destruction in the process. He just hasn't got experience at using it or modulating it, perhaps if he'd had somewhere to safely practice he could have eventually learned to control it to the point of speaking normally without unleashing his power but Marvel's too happy with him as this mute king suffering under the inability to speak without destroying all around him. After all there are a variety of power damping and negating technologies around that he could have built into his suit that would let him regulate or turn off his powers and speak normally most of the time.

As far as the megaphone goes all it'd do is be the first thing destroyed by his speaking, and even if it were made of Adamantium it'd still have little impact other than to perhaps let Black Bolt narrow the range of his voice to a cone attack rather than the normally omni-directional blast it is. To date other than the efforts to create a Hyped-Up Hulk the only living being to take his full scream without harm is Dazzler, who's Beyond rank sound-to-light conversion power let her completely absorb his attack with little difficulty.

-- Peter David

January 13, 2008 05:09AM
And Dazzler's little conversion would have created a hell of a light show I'm guessing

Start the day with a smile and get it over with

Money is better than poverty if only for financial reasons

Money can't buy happiness but it does bring a more plesant form of misery
January 14, 2008 03:26AM
Depends on what the megaphone is made out of ;)

(He'd be more effective cupping his hands around his mouth...)

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
January 14, 2008 03:35AM
That's true.

The only Marvel material that you might contemplate constructing a megaphone for Black Bolt out of is the same material used in Captain America's shield, and even then Wakandan Vibranium in that might dampen the sonics too much for his voice to be an effective cone weapon.

-----
January 14, 2008 01:38PM
Maybe Odin could make a proper megaphone...

January 23, 2008 02:44PM
Looking over the rank tables I was reminded that Shift-Z is '351-UP'; there isn't a set top for Shift-Z, so a rank of 'Shift Z (1000)' is technically quite acceptable, or even 'Shift Z (1500)', without having to classify Black Bolt's cry as officially a CL1000 cosmic level power. It still preserves the level of massive damage he does even in comparison to other characters who can also do a Shift Z level attack like the Human Torch, who does his damage at the standard rank number.

It also still preserves the idea of the Hulk having shifted from simple Body Resistance to the much more durable True Invulnerability for how the Hulk recently was able to withstand Black Bolt's attack when he's been felled by it in the past.

-- Peter David

February 12, 2008 12:03PM
If his cry can go up to Class 1000, it means the Skrulls are nastier than we've thought.

(Apparently the Black Bolt we've all thought we knew has been a Skrull ever since the end of the Kree/Skrull War, as revealed in the Illuminati miniseries. A Skrull with the powers of Black Bolt, Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Mister Fantastic, Namor, and Xavier.)

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
February 12, 2008 05:34PM
Well Stark doesn't have any powers, unless you count his intelligence, and I don't think I've seen any indication that the Skrulls can instill augmented intelligence into their Super-Skrulls (otherwise the original Super-Skrull would have been far more dangerous than he already is), and Reed's powers really just augment your average Skrulls Shapeshifting powers. I'm not sure if Dr. Strange's mystical powers can be copied either (although perhaps his genetic potential to wield magic could be, and simply include magical training for the lucky skrull). Then again the powers of Black Bolt, Namor, and Reed are dangerous enough, especially topped off with Professor X's powers.

-- Peter David

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.