Iron Man's Strength overrated

Posted by Nightmask 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Iron Man's Strength overrated
October 17, 2007 11:09AM
Hello my name is Tetra and I am an Iron Man fan.

So I may be biased in my views, but I will say that since his introduction Iron Man has never been about being the strongest of Marvel's heroes. Nor has he needed to be. Very few characters are as versatile or adaptive as Iron Man. Maybe Batman and Green Lantern over at DC but no Marvel characters come to mind. It has been a couple of years since Iron Man has been portrayed as capable as he has in the past. Heck, lately it seems he is Marvel's favorite whipping boy.

In terms of Strength stats:

Original Grey/Gold Armor - Remarkable
Early Red and Gold - Incredible
Classic Red and gold - Amazing
Silver Centurion - Monstrous
All general purpose armors from the Silver Centurion up until the SKIN armor - Monstrous
SKIN, Tin Man, Extremis - Unearthly
Hulkbusters, Thorbusters - Shift-X (maybe Sh-Y)

As for knocking out the Hulk with one punch;

1- The Hulk was stunned from an exploding Lear Jet and didn't see the hit coming.

2- Iron Man crippled his armor in the process. At the time, the armor was able to override its strength for brief (seconds) periods by up to 800%. When the books had him listed at Incredible strength, this granted him a +3CS to Unearthly, so even within the context of the game, he could hurt the Hulk.

4- The Hulk at the time didn't have the same regenerative abilities or power levels as he has today.

3- Even the Invisible Woman knocked out the Hulk once. At least, Tony doesn't go around bringing it up all the time like she does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2007 11:11AM by Tetragrammaton.
October 17, 2007 11:13AM
As a hardcore Iron Man fan, I'm curious about your take on all the borderline "evil" things Tony's done lately. Your dedication to your favorite character is admirable when everyone else seems to regard him as a megalomaniacal super villain at present. I'm not being facetious... I'm curious what you think.

October 17, 2007 11:14AM
capocastillo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Spider-Man beat Firelord once, too.

Yeah and Squirrel Girl beat Thanos and Dr Doom... *walks off muttering*

Razzum frazzum stupid comedy plot device no way she should have beaten those two razzum frazzum... :X

October 17, 2007 11:15AM
If you have a fast internet connection, here is a picture heavy thread featuring the many capabilities (starting with Strength) and battles of Iron Man from over the years.

[www.advancediron.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2007 11:16AM by Tetragrammaton.
off-topic: Civil War and Iron Man
October 17, 2007 11:33AM
Punstarr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As a hardcore Iron Man fan, I'm curious about your
> take on all the borderline "evil" things Tony's
> done lately. Your dedication to your favorite
> character is admirable when everyone else seems to
> regard him as a megalomaniacal super villain at
> present. I'm not being facetious... I'm curious
> what you think.

Well, Iron Man and Tony Stark have never really been the most popular of Marvel's heroes.

Let's face it being a multi-millionaire, handsome, and one of the smartest engineers on the planet don't make him easily related to or the underdog.

As for Civil War, here is something I put up on another forum when asked about Tony's "badness";

Now, I didn't buy all the tie-ins so I may be missing some of his moments of evilness, but here's what I've read.

First, Tony goes to the Senate to plead against registration, but in secret pays off Titanium Man to stage an attack in order to influence their vote in favor of registration.

He convinces poor, young, and impressionable Peter Parker into revealing his identity publicly.

He becomes the spokesman/ figurehead for Registration, essentially putting him against all heroes who wish to remain anonymous and against the principles of democracy, freedom and the pursuit of happiness. Where freedom = the right to wear tights in public and happiness = beating up on bad guys.

His beliefs on Registration pit him against Captain America, a man who symbolizes the best qualities of America.

Tony designs a suit for Spider-Man that secretly monitors his powers, spying on Peter without his knowledge, gaining information on how to negate and later even duplicate his Spider-Sense.

Punches out the sentinel of liberty.

Along with Reed and Hank is responsible for the creation of a cyborg-clone of his dead friend and ally, Thor. Said cyborg-clone then goes and kills Goliath, a fan favorite second stringer.

Despite having both a greater number and more powerful heroes on his side, he then recruits super-villains to the Pro-Registration forces. Nothing like working with Venom and Bullseye to firmly establish yourself as being "in the right".

Creates a Super Hero Prison in the Negative Zone and seems very fanatical about keeping the heroes there indefinitely.

Makes 2 Billion dollars from various financial decisions because of Civil War. Nothing like making a rich guy richer because of war.

When Peter decides the Negative Zone prison is going to far and changes sides, this puts Marvel's most popular character in physical and moral conflict with Tony.

Having turned against a part of his fellow community of heroes and in making a profit on the whole thing earns him a "Judas" reference from Daredevil (Iron Fist).

Of course, since Peter has now switched sides and taken May and MJ away from Stark Tower, the assassination attempt that critically injures Aunt May is Tony's fault, since he was the one who convinced Peter to reveal his identity.

With great power comes great deniability, as Peter's decisions and actions have nothing to do with this. All Tony, yup.

Tony then does the worst thing possible, despite 9 to 1 fan support for Cap and his anti-Registration side, Tony loses the final battle but wins the Civil War.

Captain America surrenders!

Fan boy riots occur.

Finally, despite all his manipulation and wrongness during Civil War, Tony is appointed Director of SHIELD while Cap is killed by Crossbones working for the Red Skull.

Of course, Tony gets the blame for Cap's death more than the guy who pulled the trigger or the guy who ordered it.

Also while not directly connected to Civil War, Tony as the "leader" of the Illuminati is also responsible for the Hulk's exile into space and, as such, also responsible for everything that happens to the Hulk while in exile.

Bottom Line: You don't get cast as the antagonist against the likes of Captain America, Spider-Man and the Hulk and not come off as "The Villain".

I can accept some of his actions as his belief in what he was doing. I know first hand that doing what is right, is often not what is popular. The Clone cyborg of Thor and teaming up with nano-bot controlled villains both seemed out-of-character and going way too far.

I personally felt aspects of Registration were correct. Training and accountability are paramount, but there was never any logical reason why those who choose not to registered were imprisoned without due process or given the opportunity to retire.

I hope Marvel doesn't cheat its way out of the resolution of evil Tony by making him a Skrull or under outside control.

He has made mistakes, big ones. I do think he can recover from them, but he needs to make peace with Cap before this can happen, so it may be a while yet.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2007 11:37AM by Tetragrammaton.
Re: off-topic: Civil War and Iron Man
October 17, 2007 11:49AM

I hope Marvel doesn't cheat its way out of the resolution of evil Tony by making him a Skrull or under outside control.

I can't agree with you more on that point. I suspect that may be the route Marvel's going to take, though. It'd be a very cheap move and I'll be severely disappointed in them if they go that route.

As for the rest, you did miss one other instance... She Hulk came to Tony and told him she knew about them exiling the Hulk and that she questioned that decision. Tony did not waste any time talking to her or trying to explain things... he just said, "yeah, about that..." and blasted her. During the ensuing fight, Tony refused to talk to Jen at all, and ended up injecting her with an adamantium needle full of nanites which stripped her of her powers. All because she dared to question Stark.

There's also the treatment that Speedball got in that foreign prison... all arranged by Tony. Since it wasn't on American soil, it didn't have to abide by American standards of Humane treatment. What was it the SHIELD agent told Speedball in that prison? Oh yeah...

I agree, the things he's been doing have been very out of character for Tony, but the same could be said of Reed and Pym... and since when has Ms Marvel blindly followed the law just because it's law? However, it's happened and so it's canon (unfortunately). Frankly, Tony's been acting like he's halfway to being like Dr Doom than Iron Man. I hope it changes as well, but for now I've been reveling in it every time the Hulk or Thor whomps on Iron Man (though I'm getting sick of the Hulk as well... I wouldn't mind seeing the Sentry or Thor kick his ever loving green butt and show him what "the strongest there is" truly means).

October 17, 2007 12:29PM
Nothing wrong with someone bringing up a particularly powerful and respected (power wise) foe that they've beaten in the past as an intimidation tactic, it's a very valid part of psychological warfare to try and bring a conflict to a less violent conclusion. It's also not bad for a hero to have confidence in him or herself and reminding oneself as well as others of such successes helps shore up your own willpower to keep going.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
October 17, 2007 12:31PM
She didn't beat either of them, clearly the Thanos she beat was one of his leftover defective clones and Doom well obviously it was one of his Doombots since he swore off using Technology years ago but likely never turned them off.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

October 17, 2007 12:37PM
Yeah, let's go with that. :D

October 17, 2007 12:56PM
Nice detailed coverage with regards to the Civil War and Illuminati activities of Stark, and with pictures too!

I realize some of your stuff there at the end seems more of a 'Tony can't really be responsible for that, he never pulled that trigger or set off that hyperdrive' but actually he does have a measure of guilt and responsibility in the law as a result of the concept of 'unintended consequences'. Basically you do something you shouldn't have where events spiral out of control to create a far worse situation than you planned (walk up and hit who you think is your friend from behind not realizing it isn't and hit a weak spot in his head and kill him it's not an accident it's manslaughter because hitting someone as a 'joke' isn't considered reasonable safe behavior) then you're responsible for what results. Stark shows up and says 'Hey Illuminati I've a plan to get rid of that pesky Hulk problem because well he's not a clean-cut normal-looking superhuman like us and everyone thinks he's a destructive monster no matter how often he's saved the world all by himself' and so they ship him into space, don't even bother to see if he got to where he was aimed at, and because he was sent in a ship intended to malfunction an act of genocide on massive scale occurs, killing a planet as surely as if Galactus came for a snack. But for his actions none of that would have occured and he's guilty of mass murder (note that I totally include Mr. Fantastic in that as he was the one who had the idea of making a defective starship in the first place).

The same holds for the Thor clone killing Black Goliath, a creation of Stark and Richards to make it appear as if Thor was on their side and give them extra muscle in hunting heroes rather than villains. Also far easier to hunt heroes since unlike villains they aren't ruthless killers so you can use more force than they can in most cases but I digress. As their creation they sent Clor in to battle with a powerful simulation of Thor's hammer and it killed someone and would have resulted in a mass murder right then and there if Invisible Woman hadn't shielded the heroes long enough for them to escape and her husband to shut off the cyborg. Second Degree murder right there, and on American Soil not on an alien planet where the government can shirk its moral obligations by saying as foreign soil all crimes committed there aren't punishable by the US.

While I suppose it's not impossible for Stark to turn back from his actions (Given we've seen Baron Zemo II and even Thanos develop a change of heart and move towards heroism) I doubt Marvel's willing to go through the long difficult process of having him fight back to the light, after a very public breakdown as he realizes just how evil he's been and the guilt overwhelms him for a while.

-- Peter David

October 17, 2007 12:57PM
Sorry to burst your bubbles guys, but Marvel's stated as canon Squirrel-Girl has beaten both the real Thanos, and the Real Doom. The Doom defeat was a Steve Ditko story even, can't get more canon than that unless it's Stan the Man himself.

October 17, 2007 12:58PM
It's still incredibly lame and makes absolutely no sense. I freaking hate Squirrel Girl.

October 17, 2007 01:06PM
I think you're doing the Hulk a disservice there, he's just a man who suffered horrendous loss in regards to those he loved and people who trusted him. He was truly happy around people who accepted him as he was and was even building an entire world that would have been at peace and prosperous when it was all taken from him by the very vehicle used to send him into exile while he watched. He's suffering from Survivor's Guilt and a desire to see those who abused and betrayed him in the first place pay for it in the only way he knows how. Plus when he's been close to thinking maybe 'I have done enough, I can stop now. someone comes along and bombs or shoots him, like Ross with his adamantium shrapnel bombs, and turns him right back to his rage. Everyone knows how so often in the past the Hulk's destroyed because h was provoked or attacked when he was ready to stop and turned him on again (Ross especially) and yet they still do it, and I think they do it on purpose because they don't want 'the monster' to be seen as anything but a rampaging and destructive beast undeserving of any respect or compassion, just death.

-- Peter David

October 17, 2007 01:08PM
Well if it was Doom in his traditional armor he'd have to be decidedly non-canon because Doom swore off all technology in return for his only love loving him again (at which point he promptly killed her for vast mystical power). He had no loopholes in how he made his oath and it's an integral part of his character that's almost always played up in the comics, how once he gives his word he will never break it.

-- Peter David

October 17, 2007 01:08PM
My being sick of Hulk has nothing to do with his character and everything to do with the fact that he's overhyped and overexposed... I'm just sick of seeing him everywhere I go, just like Wolverine.

October 17, 2007 01:12PM
Well it'd be wrong NOT to see him in most of the Marvel Titles or having some kind of impact on them, considering most are in or around NYC. Having Daredevil for example without even a nod to the WWH activities would ignore the fact his home was right in the middle of the fight, and undercuts plausibility and continuity by acting as if it had no impact, just like the Avengers storyarc where Kang conquered the world acted as if the title was completely self-contained and we saw no influence of it in any of the other titles no matter how much we should have.

-- Peter David

October 17, 2007 01:13PM
Here I disagree...

Iron Man has a movie coming out, so he has to be repainted as somewhat heroic so when the hype machine starts churning out new-reader friendly Iron Man product, people won't read it and say Tony is a sonofabitch.

That said, i think Tony's step back towards redemption will lie with the skrulls, but not that he is one, but rather he's the only one who knew about them and the upcoming invasion, and the registration was a way to build an army and ferrett out spies. Cap just sadly got in the way.

October 17, 2007 01:17PM
Sorry but Doom breaks his word whenever it's convenient.

October 17, 2007 01:18PM
I've only seen him break his word when Richards was involved.

October 17, 2007 02:10PM
Doom never breaks his word, but he IS like an evil genie twisting a wish, turning any loopholes to his benefit, since he is scrupulous about sticking to the letter of the agreement rather than spirit, unless you're careful to make the spirit and letter one and the same.

-- Peter David

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.