Iron Man's Strength overrated

Posted by Nightmask 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Iron Man's Strength overrated
September 17, 2007 08:47PM
After the prompting to look back at the official handbooks related to Iron Man's original red-and-gold armor and the Silver Centurian armors the strength ratings are much too high for them. They gave a strength augmentation of 75 times and 90 times the wearer's strength respectively without using the overrides, which means even with Captain America, someone with peak human strength, wearing the Silver Centurian armor it still wouldn't reach Amazing, it's give him a max regular press of 36 tons. They might barely reach those levels in override status but you're a fraction of a second away from burning out the armor at that point.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
Re: Iron Man's Strength overrated
September 18, 2007 08:36AM
Personally I think the Extremis Armor is a little too strong. Monsterous Strength? Never really seen Iron Man deal out that much physical punishment, or lift that much weight.

In fact, it seems whenever shell head gets into a strength contest with anyone Monsterous Strength or higher, his armor gets beat down pretty easilly, like his most recent encounter with Namor.

September 18, 2007 09:17PM
Well in the so-called reprints of the 80s handbooks I glanced at them when I was in the shop today and they aren't reprints, they've retconned them to claim vastly greater strength for him. Lists the Silver Centurian for example at Superhuman Class 85 (monstrous) and reaching Superhuman class 100 (Unearthly) when augmented by extra elecrical power. Those aren't the stats in the original 80s books by any stretch of the imagination.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

September 22, 2007 12:46PM
Well, they at least updated them then. I was looking at them in the store as well (briefly). All I could think is, "Why do I want to pay this much for outdated stats?"

TAG
September 23, 2007 11:08AM
Well one would think if you say you're reprinting something you actually reprint it, and if you're going to print a revised/retconned version you actually say that's what it is.

-- Peter David

September 23, 2007 11:50AM
I agree. If one wanted to print an "updated" version, they should have revised the whole book with brand new words, stats and art... a whole new book. why would a kid nowadays want 25 year old art and layouts in a supposedly new book? No, I think the reprint was basically for us fans who remember the original and want to read it again... in which case, they should have changed -nothing-. It should have been a direct reprint.

You don't buy that TPB because you want the information... you buy it for the nostalgia.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2007 11:51AM by Punstarr.
September 25, 2007 10:32AM
I'd have preferred them using the format for the 80s version for an 00s version, as that format gave you real details not rediculous power bars and two pages of history or more and a paragraph on the powers, if that. Even the 90s version with the binder format was better, and even used a format similar to the Marvel RPG FASERIP tables for various stats (I believe Wolverine was rated as Superhuman Regenerative for his Durability, meaning he had above human durability plus an ability to regenerate).

You just have to hate a so-called reprint or TPB of otherwise unavailable material that they've gone through and changed text and other material to fit some notion of acceptable nowadays or to change the material to match how they want things to be now. It's like the stupid stuff that they do with anime, revising it due to idiot censors and gutting the quality of the product in the process.

-- Peter David

September 30, 2007 11:39AM
These are my numbers for how strong I believe the armors are:

Original Grey/Gold : 5 tons

Original Red and Gold : 10 tons

Proto-Classic: 25 tons

Pre-Classic: 40 tons

Classic Golden Avenger : 50 tons

Recovery Armor: 10 tons

Silver Centurion: 70 tons

New Red and Gold: 85 tons

NTU-150 Telepresence: 85 tons

War Machine: 85 tons

Modular Armor: 85 tons

Heroes Return 85 tons

SKIN: 90 tons

Tin Man: 100 tons

Extremis: 100 tons

Hulkbuster I (Modular add on): 175 tons

Hulkbuster II (Argonaut Drone): 200 tons

Hulkbuster III (WWH): 250 tons

Thorbuster: variable from about 100 to 200 tons depending amount of absorbed Asgardian energy.

NOTE: figures in green are taken from reference books or the comics.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2007 11:47AM by Tetragrammaton.
September 30, 2007 12:37PM
Even though the stats you reference seem to logicly follow from canon material, it always seems like anyone Tony faces with 75 strength or more goes through his armor like @#$%& through a goose.

September 30, 2007 01:00PM
Unless he's just built a new suit after some epic battle has destroyed the old one or he's recovering from a bout of alcoholism or similar, then he tears through his target with ease, like when he went from the Golden Avenger to the Silver Centurian, or jumped to the Modular Armor against Ultimo.

-- Peter David

Re: Iron Man's Armor- overrated???
September 30, 2007 11:25PM
capocatillo, perhaps it is his body armor rank that you feel is over rated.

considering the last 2 or 3 years in Marvel comics he seems to take damage easily.
October 01, 2007 08:01AM
It's more than that. I haven't seen iron man do anything in recent memory to demonstrate that his suit can lift anything looking like 75 or 100 tons.

October 01, 2007 12:10PM
Unfortunately, ol'Shellhead's been written as Marvel's whipping boy lately. Not too many opportunities to really see him cut loose.

The only recent examples of him performing impressive feats of strength was slamming the Crimson Dynamo about 100 feet into the air through some concrete and steel (from Iron Man vol IV, 7) and later giving the Sentry a nose-bleed a couple of issues later.

October 14, 2007 02:54PM
I wonder what the Stats are on the Hulk Busting Armour is?.
October 14, 2007 03:25PM
No idea. Considering how quickly we tend to see it get trashed it's apparently quite overhyped and doesn't live up to its name by any stretch of the imagination.

-- Peter David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2007 03:25PM by Nightmask.
October 16, 2007 05:17PM
I concur with that Nightmask Tony cant hang out with the Big Dogs.
October 16, 2007 11:07PM
I am not going to disagree with you two but Ironman did beat the Hulk before and with a lesser armor.( the bullethead red and gold )

With updated armor it is very possible for him to beat heavyweights ( Ironman himself being a light-heavyweight ) depending on the WRITER.
October 16, 2007 11:26PM
Sure, but I think their point is that he's not going to do it by just hammering away with his fists like the Hulk would. He has lots of stuff to even the odds, but this thread is about his physical strength.

October 17, 2007 10:38AM
That's true. Ironman is more of an "ace up the sleeve" gadget/trick master.

Although the time he beat the Hulk was when he just K.O.'ed him with ONE PUNCH!!!
October 17, 2007 11:07AM
Spider-Man beat Firelord once, too.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.