WWHulk?

Posted by Joe 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: WWHulk?
February 25, 2008 11:28AM
Captain America rarely misses with his shield either, nor does Spider man miss with his webs. Comics are, I agree, "hollywood" in terms of the fighting displayed, but the fact remains that a fighter with skills greater than Captain America who is as strong as the Hulk should routinely smash down any of the MU powerhouses, without raising a sweat. The fact that they have to fight to win suggests they get by on their power (the way the MU powerhouses do).

I think Incr or Rem are both fair for both Thor & Herc. I like them both, but I've never seen them display any extraordinary skill. We can speculate that they fight 24/7 when they're home, but it's still speculation, and the MU stats of their Asgardian & Olympian enemies show they aren't matched by very many even on their home turf in terms of power. All of this suggests they get by on power, not skill, and Unearthly makes little sense in their context.
February 25, 2008 11:59AM
I cannot disagree more. Remarkable or Incredible is pathetic for a god of war like Thor. We may have to agree to disagree on this, but I honestly don't see where you're coming from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2008 12:00PM by Punstarr.
February 25, 2008 01:32PM
Well, as has been said, he wasn't the God of War, but in any event, I just base my opinion on what Thor has displayed in comics. He's never demonstrated a high level of fighting skill, and when he fights guys like the Hulk, whose fighting skills are less than half of his, he should blow him out of the water. Instead, it's always a fight.

In game terms, Thor should be comparable to the other MU powerhouses, and a fighting rank that high makes no game or comic MU sense. Thor's assets in comics have always been his hammer, his enormous physical gifts, and his toughness. Fighting skill has never been one of his demonstrated assets, and I don't believe in comic terms he would beat some of the top human fighters if he didn't have the physical advantage. Nor would Hulk, for that matter, but then Hulk's Fighting is right where it should be at Rem.
February 25, 2008 02:06PM
Mythologically, yes he was a god of war. As the son of Odin he inherited the war blood.

February 25, 2008 03:18PM
Most asgardian gods were warriors, doesn't mean he has to be god of war, already had someone for that job.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
February 25, 2008 07:53PM
I said -a- god of war. Not -the- god of war. My point is that there's more than enough justification given his history and the kind of foes he routinely fights to give him Unearthly Fighting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2008 07:54PM by Punstarr.
February 25, 2008 08:33PM
Unearthly Fighting seems good for Thor and Hercules. Both Asgardians and Olympians have a strong warrior spirit and culture, making their "average" warriors rather superior to an average human in terms of skill. Herc and Thor are their respective societies' best elite warriors. They are effectively the Captain Americas of their warrior ranks, as superior to the formidable (by human comparison) average Asgardian or Olympian warrior as Cap is to average human soldiers...

Just my $.02 :P

Quack, damn you...
February 25, 2008 09:33PM
I think it's good. I can understand Punstarr talking about the Fighting stat (he and I agree to disagree about it in regard to Thor) but I find it reasonable.

I would think he'd have Edged Weapons, Wrestling, Brawling, and maybe a M.A. or two (scary thought, that he might have that, now). What about Iron Will? Would that have any effect at his power level?

Also some leadership, military tactics, stuff like that.

I think having him be in a perpetual po'd mood (permanent adrenaline surge) is a good thought, too.

Also, doesn't his health increase with his adrenaline surge? We've always played that he gets the extra as "rage points" that disappear after the surge is over, but that can keep him going past -End. Just a thought.
February 26, 2008 12:52AM
I'd like to say two things.....

1- Are we talking about the base Fighting rank before Talents are applied? Meaning that if you think Thor should have Unearthly Fighting based on his upbringing then with Talents included his Fighting would be Shift-X with swords, and Shift-Y with Mjolnir. Thor is from a warrior culture, I mean hell, he probably has carrying a sword by the time he was 10 or so years old. He and his friend were just chillin' on a Friday (named after his acting mother) and went out to kill some frost giants. If there is any argument at all it should be about his empty hand fighting versus his weapon fighting and what ranks he should be at in each.

and

2- [www.classicmarvel.com]

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 26, 2008 08:19AM
I'm talking about his base fighting skills. I can see Thor having Unearthly fighting with Mjolnir (sp?), and having even as high as Amazing (although I'd put it at Rem or Incr) at empty hand. So, yes, I agree with you that the debate in my own mind is at least partially his empty-hand vs. weapons v. weapons skills. What you say about Thor carrying a sword early, and so on, makes sense, and explains well any CS+2 or better if he's got a weapon in hand. Hand-to-hand, though, I think would be a different matter.

The problem, perhaps, lies in the way stats are used in the MURPG. Each stat really is used in game terms to represent abilities that are very technically and neurologically different in real life. Fighting, for example, represents your base in fighting in any medium, with any weapons or without any weapons, under any circumstance. In fact, of course, fighting skills are very specialized in real life. A great boxer might be a poor fencer, and vice versa. A great judo player might never succeed in karate, and vice versa. Then we've got exotic weapons, and all the combinations thereof; a great fencer might be great against a great fencer, but only fair or poor against a great kendoka, or vice versa. Then there's all the aspects of bare-hand brawling, with improvised weapons, grappling, etc. All of them are represented by one stat, which makes gameplay faster, but can end up fudging up some of these "real world" or even "comic book world" issues.

Agility is another one, seeming to represent reaction time, throwing weapon skill, dodging, physical agility, hand/eye coordination, and any other number of things that really are very distinct.

It may be that I'm just stuck on something that's based on the limitations of the game system vs. the "comic book reality" or even the real world. In game terms, I think Thor's high fighting rank skews fights in ways that don't adequately represent the action in the comics.

Thanks for your thoughts.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.