The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers

Posted by Skarlett Spyder 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Update 2
October 17, 2005 12:55PM
In my first writeup, Tommy and Jason are indeed equal, and I explained as much when someone mentioned that Tommy should be the better fighter. The 2nd update was a reflection of the pinnacle of their abilities, the original cast being near their end as Power Rangers. By the time of Zeo and then Turbo, Tommy had distanced himself enough fighting ability-wise from Jason to warrant IN fighting.

Skarlett da Friendly Spyder

________________________________________________________________________________
"All who wander are not lost." J.R.R. Tolkein

"History and experience have taught us that the oldest among our kind invariably prove the most formidable." Sage, X-Treme X-Men #43

"You leap like a hyena in heat!!" Conan to Wolverine, What If...? #16

"Useless, all useless...I was once a MAN!!" Cobra Commander, G.I. Joe the Movie
October 19, 2005 08:09AM
Originally Jason and Tommy were certainly equals, but as the series moved on Tommy outdistanced Jason more and more. At this point he's at least a column shift over. Also popularity wise Tommy crushes Jason which explains why he gets the position of buttkicker now. Even in the rangers' world Tommy has more popularity actually. In Forever Red the red Wildforce ranger states that Tommy really is the greatest ranger like he has heard it said before. He was also very excited to have met him. Now the others all had their own opinions on that but they had at least heard of him which pretty much puts Tommy at legendary status. Were you talking about Tim Curry Skarlett? Because he's been in a LOT more than just The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Although he'll probably still never live it down. I find it amusing that people can forget that Barry Bostwick and Susan Surandon were in it, but everyone remembers Tim Curry. Tim Curry has been in Clue, The Shadow, Stephen King's IT, Congo a WB remake of A Family Affair (which I will never forgive him for) and numerous other roles. Usually he plays swarmy characters with very little morals. I know you might have already known all that but it was fun to recall. I was a bit suprise at the shift of Tommy from Martial Artist to paleontologist. I don't really remember him ever expressing interest in that. I imagine it just fit in with the show, but I would have found it much more likely for him to keep teaching martial arts. Heh. I wonder how Zach's hip-hop-kedo went?

Just got 10 more episodes hopefully I'll see some more stuff in that. Did I mention that I love Wisconsin's library system?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2005 08:17AM by Alabar.
October 19, 2005 09:12AM
I was indeed talking about Tim Curry. I know he's been in waaaaaay more than just the Rocky Horror Picture Show, but for the life of me at the time of my last post I couldn't remember his name, and the RHPS was the first thing that came to mind.

I particularly liked him in "Fox's Peter Pan and the Pirates."

Skarlett da Forgetful Spyder

________________________________________________________________________________

"History and experience have taught us that the oldest among our kind invariably prove the most formidable." Sage, X-Treme X-Men #43

October 19, 2005 09:58AM
Skarlett Spyder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my first writeup, Tommy and Jason are indeed
> equal, and I explained as much when someone
> mentioned that Tommy should be the better fighter.
> The 2nd update was a reflection of the pinnacle of
> their abilities, the original cast being near
> their end as Power Rangers. By the time of Zeo and
> then Turbo, Tommy had distanced himself enough
> fighting ability-wise from Jason to warrant IN
> fighting.
>
>
>
> Skarlett da Friendly Spyder
>
> It never hurts to help!! ~ Eek the Cat

Where was this supposed distance from? I've never seen it. Are you saying that because Tommy, being the longest serving ranger, automatically is the better fighter? If so, I disagree; but then they're your writeups so make of it as you will.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2005 09:59AM by Shrek.
Re: The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
October 19, 2005 10:08AM
Spyder,

He was also rather Incredible(40) as "Darkness" in "Legend"
October 19, 2005 12:44PM
well really it's a matter of styles.

IIRC, tommy is more of a traditional Karate fighter or Tae kwan do fighter. While Jason, from what i remember, Tends more towards Kick boxing and Tae kwan do.

this can be witnessed from Jason bulking up more towards his end time on MMPR and before his time as the gold ranger on turbo. Kickboxers tend to have more mass than average martial artist (except sumo). It's about the force of the hits not the style with which they are given.

point blank Jason was the strength fighter, Tommy was the dex fighter.

dunno if i'm getting the point accross but that's just how i see it.
October 19, 2005 03:36PM
Tommy has more experience as a Ranger he has the longest "active" career as a Ranger of any of them period and he's had to acquire, learn, and master more power sets (including weapons) then any other ranger. +1CS from Jason is well-earned. Even if Jason had been training in his down time alot, he'd still be a bit lacking in actual field ops comparitively. This isn't to say all thing considered he's the most battle-able Ranger. As I've mentioned before some of the Rangers have taken on considerably more than others, even in a condensed run.

Wes for example fought one of the most hardcore man against millions fight ever waged. It was a futile fight and he did have to be saved in the end but it was shoulders above any solo battle any other Ranger ever had to fight. The "space" Ranger's final stand was on a bit grander scale then most other Ranger battles before them (and most after for that matter). The Lost Galaxy rangers dealt with more failures and loses then most ranger teams. So experience and thus actual field proficiency is debatable.

Also note that certain Ranger's powers were according the show, simply superior in nature. Green was built more powerful then the other Rangers... as was White... as was Gold... as was Silver... as was... well... you get the point. And up until the end of "In Space"... the incarnations of the whole team were supposedly upgrades in power. Dino-power to Thunder-power was supposed to be an escalation... as was the switch to Ninja powers... and then the Zeo crystals... and further the Turbo powers... which were then supposedly outclassed by space ranger morphing. It's never stated nor implied that the Lost Galaxy sword powers were superior to previous rangers and after that the origin of each set of ranger powers jumps around and its no longer a progression (though the Time Force ranger's powers appeared pretty high class and the DinoThunder rangers gained superpowers with no need of morphing even). In practice the Red Dino-Ranger's powers should be somewhat inferior to its counterparts that came later... at least up until Lost Galaxy when the powers ceased to be a progression.
October 19, 2005 04:03PM
sway Wrote:
> Tommy has more experience as a Ranger he has the
> longest "active" career as a Ranger of any of them
> period and he's had to acquire, learn, and master
> more power sets (including weapons) then any other
> ranger. +1CS from Jason is well-earned. Even if
> Jason had been training in his down time alot,
> he'd still be a bit lacking in actual field ops
> comparitively. This isn't to say all thing
> considered he's the most battle-able Ranger. As
> I've mentioned before some of the Rangers have
> taken on considerably more than others, even in a
> condensed run.
>
> Wes for example fought one of the most hardcore
> man against millions fight ever waged. It was a
> futile fight and he did have to be saved in the
> end but it was shoulders above any solo battle any
> other Ranger ever had to fight. The "space"
> Ranger's final stand was on a bit grander scale
> then most other Ranger battles before them (and
> most after for that matter). The Lost Galaxy
> rangers dealt with more failures and loses then
> most ranger teams. So experience and thus actual
> field proficiency is debatable.
>
> Also note that certain Ranger's powers were
> according the show, simply superior in nature.
> Green was built more powerful then the other
> Rangers... as was White... as was Gold... as was
> Silver... as was... well... you get the point. And
> up until the end of "In Space"... the incarnations
> of the whole team were supposedly upgrades in
> power. Dino-power to Thunder-power was supposed to
> be an escalation... as was the switch to Ninja
> powers... and then the Zeo crystals... and further
> the Turbo powers... which were then supposedly
> outclassed by space ranger morphing. It's never
> stated nor implied that the Lost Galaxy sword
> powers were superior to previous rangers and after
> that the origin of each set of ranger powers jumps
> around and its no longer a progression (though the
> Time Force ranger's powers appeared pretty high
> class and the DinoThunder rangers gained
> superpowers with no need of morphing even). In
> practice the Red Dino-Ranger's powers should be
> somewhat inferior to its counterparts that came
> later... at least up until Lost Galaxy when the
> powers ceased to be a progression.

Despite Tommy being the longest tenured ranger, he hasn't shown anything over Jason. In fact, once Jason returned as the gold ranger, there still seemed to be no difference, despite Tommy being there well after Jason left. In direct conflicts they have either stalemated or Jason had the edge. But again, it's not that big a deal. Make of it as you will
October 20, 2005 08:15AM
YOUR HUMBLE SERVANT Wrote:
> Spyder,
>
>
> He was also rather Incredible(40) as "Darkness"
> in "Legend"

Excuse me?

Skarlett da Befuddled Spyder

October 20, 2005 09:24AM
i think it's a pun since tim curry also played the Darkness in the movie Legend.
October 21, 2005 07:08PM
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that. *smacks himself in the forehead*

Skarlett da Oblivious Spyder

October 25, 2005 02:21PM
Okay, after viewing several of the old episodes I think a few adjustments are in order. Zach should have at least excellent agility in my opinion. He flipped over the putties several times in gymnist type moves. He seems almost as quick and acrobatic as kimberly and at least as much as Trini. Trini should have at least excellent reason and possibly remarkable. The reason for this is that Trini often translated Billy's techspeak to the others. She at least understood what he was talking about if not understanding how to do it.

Things of note also:

1) Tommy did actually defeat all the rangers in a battle before getting the Sword of Darkness.
2) As the evil green ranger Tommy had a levitation power. He used it on Bulk and Skull by shooting green energy out of his eyes that levitated them into a trash can.
3) As the evil green ranger Tommy also had an energy ball attack where a ball of green energy could shoot out of his hands and harm the rangers.
4) As far as I know the last two abilities were never displayed once he joined the rangers.
5) At least initially (as the evil green ranger) when Tommy used his shield to deflect energy blasts he needed to play his dragonflute. The shield would glow green a moment to show activation and then deflect all energy attacks.

I think I figured out perhaps why the blue Turbo ranger power could be used as a kid (other than because the series needed it to). I believe that Billy decided to add it as a preventative measure because of the Ninja power's flaw. Similar to making a system standard after flaws show up in a redundant model. Assumably any upgrade that Billy helped with would have this ability.
October 25, 2005 05:58PM
Thanks for all the info Alabar. I do appreciate it.

Major villains from Morphin' to Turbo coming soon.

Also, after acquiring the 1st volume of Thundercats season 1 as a graduation gift, I've decided to stat them as well. Be on the lookout in November.

Skarlett da Stat-Busy Spyder

October 25, 2005 06:54PM
No prob Skarlett! You've got the hard part (statting it all). I'd try some of that myself, but I've got so little time at all that the watching of the eps takes it all. Zach's power axe was modified once to emit cold blasts against a salamader type monster. Assumably it retained that ability. Also of note is that all of the blade blasters could be brought together to make a more powerful blast. I'll keep adding info when I can. Another test of true gooberhood for ya remember VR Troopers?
October 26, 2005 08:30PM
Yep... the chick from the show is now on soaps.
I Miss The 90s
October 27, 2005 06:46AM
Hey, I dunno if it's been mentioned (Mainly due to the large amount of posts), but what about the Alien Rangers? Are you thinking of stats for them or no?
October 27, 2005 03:20PM
I forgot to mention the alien rangers about five times now. The alien rangers are hard to stat because they were only around for a few episodes and we never really found out much about them. Also they didn't seem very much different from the original rangers. Good luck to you Skarlette the Overworked Spyder.
I Miss the 90s
October 27, 2005 08:24PM
Yeah, Skarlett Spiper rawks! It seems like I had a flashback to the 90s when I saw these stats!
October 27, 2005 11:19PM
Yeah. Me too. But then I saw N*Sync, The Backstreet Boys and Hanson and crashed hardcore!
October 28, 2005 10:10PM
I Miss the 90s Wrote:
> Yeah, Skarlett Spiper rawks! It seems like I had a
> flashback to the 90s when I saw these stats!

It's nice to be loved(:!D

Skarlett da Beloved Spyder

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.