Welcome to the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning!

Posted by The Rook 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Advancement
February 12, 2008 02:29PM
I have a character Id like to adapt to your game. He is a Plastic Man/Morph type character (metamorph-shapeshifter). I modeled his powers on the stats of plable characters like that found here and on Ben Rieley's site when I first created him.

That being said here is my question, would his shape shifting powers (probably plasticty ofr this example) give him body armor vs physcal attacks at power rank or would it amont to the -5cs versus blunt and force attacks seen on here on this site for such characters,and if the -5cs applies what will that ocst me point wise if anything?
Re: Advancement
February 12, 2008 07:35PM
Bracey,

First, thanks for your interest in my game! :D

I have a character Id like to adapt to your game. He is a Plastic Man/Morph type character (metamorph-shapeshifter). I modeled his powers on the stats of plable characters like that found here and on Ben Rieley's site when I first created him.

Sounds interesting. Have you adapted him to the 300CP Character Creation method we're using for this Campaign?

That being said here is my question, would his shape shifting powers (probably plasticty ofr this example) give him body armor vs physcal attacks at power rank or would it amont to the -5cs versus blunt and force attacks seen on here on this site for such characters,and if the -5cs applies what will that ocst me point wise if anything?

We're going to be using the Ultimate Powers Book (or Ultimate Addenda, as the case may be) Power Descriptions for the purposes of Character Creation. Plasticity (but not Shape-Shifting) receives a Rank Number Body Armor bonus vs. Blunt (but not Force) Attacks as it's described therein. If you want to enjoy the benefits of both powers (the pliability of Plasticity and the morphology of Shape-Shfting--two separate things!), you'd have to buy them both. Keep in mind that the bonus you'd be receiving would be RANK NUMBER, not COLUMN SHIFT, too.

Hope that helped...and I look forward to seeing a character proposal from you soon! :D

The Rook
Addendas and Marvel Philes
February 13, 2008 11:14PM
Will you be using any of the material from the Ultimate Addendas or the Marvel Philes since much of this was written by TSR staffers or later cannonized into the game updated by TSR?

PS: My character is almost ready to send, can you open PDFs?
Re: Addendas and Marvel Philes
February 13, 2008 11:29PM
Bracey,

Will you be using any of the material from the Ultimate Addendas or the Marvel Philes since much of this was written by TSR staffers or later cannonized into the game updated by TSR?

Good question. Ultimate Addendas are perfectly acceptable. Marvel-Philes are a bit different and we'll treat them in a case-by case instance.

PS: My character is almost ready to send, can you open PDFs?

Yes, I can...and I can't wait to see him! :D

The Rook
Another Power Question
February 14, 2008 02:34AM
Plasticity has a bonus power-elongation. Does that have to be paid for or do you get it for free? It also has the optional power of bouncing ball, how does that work? It says it can be power stunted. So is it a power you get with plasticity like elongation or must it be bought seperately or power stunted to aquire?
Re: Another Power Question
February 14, 2008 02:42AM
Bracey,

Plasticity has a bonus power-elongation. Does that have to be paid for or do you get it for free? It also has the optional power of bouncing ball, how does that work? It says it can be power stunted. So is it a power you get with plasticity like elongation or must it be bought seperately or power stunted to aquire?

You would have to buy Elongation separately. Bouncing Ball, however, can be "simulated" with a Power Stunt. In other words, if you want to use the Bouncing Ball Power, all you need is a successful Power Stunt to pull it off (which can subsequently be made a permanent Power Stunt through successive applications, just as it states in the Player's Guide).

Hope that helps,

The Rook
February 14, 2008 06:54AM
Doesnt seem like much of a "bonus" if you still have to buy it. It really seems that elongation would be a natual extention of plasticity and that bouncing ball since it is considered a specialized version of shapeshifting would be the pay for power.

Would shapeshifting allow for elongation?
Quirks
February 14, 2008 02:05PM
Also are you using quirks as well as weaknesses for cp recouiping? If o how will you go about it? The rules Im reading are 3 quirks give you an additional power slot. Id suggest that if you chose to use this it would only work as 3 quirks = 10 cp, and no more than 3 quirks could be taken. Otherwise that could get rediculous.
February 14, 2008 05:27PM
Bracey,

Would shapeshifting allow for elongation?

Shape-shifting allows for Elongation in that it allows a hero to "expand" to 150% (say your arm is 3' long...you could stretch it out to 4.5') or reduce him/herself to 50% of their normal size. If you want any more pliability than that...you need the Power Elongation itself.

The Rook
Re: Quirks
February 14, 2008 05:29PM
Bracey,

Also are you using quirks as well as weaknesses for cp recouiping? If o how will you go about it? The rules Im reading are 3 quirks give you an additional power slot. Id suggest that if you chose to use this it would only work as 3 quirks = 10 cp, and no more than 3 quirks could be taken. Otherwise that could get rediculous.

To give all the players in the game an equal footing, we're going pretty much strictly by the rules in the Player's Guide and the UPB. That rules quirks out. However, if you have an interesting Power Quirk you'd like to try (and you think it handicaps your character enough that you feel you should get a few CP back for taking it), run it by me, by all means. I just might accept it! :D

The Rook
February 14, 2008 05:48PM
Wouldn't Shapeshifting allow for Elongation as a power stunt at the same power rank or one rank less than the base power of Shapeshifting? The entire point of the power is being able to manipulate your form, with the size limit for the basic power pretty much a guideline for adopting forms significantly larger or smaller than your own. We often see characters like Morph and the Skrulls getting away with power stunting Elongation even though their base power is 'just' shapeshifting.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
February 14, 2008 07:12PM
Nightmask,

Wouldn't Shapeshifting allow for Elongation as a power stunt at the same power rank or one rank less than the base power of Shapeshifting? The entire point of the power is being able to manipulate your form, with the size limit for the basic power pretty much a guideline for adopting forms significantly larger or smaller than your own. We often see characters like Morph and the Skrulls getting away with power stunting Elongation even though their base power is 'just' shapeshifting.

This has already been touched on recently in these threads...but to cut to the chase, here's one of these instances where I feel that allowing a Power (Elongation) to just be Power Stunted off of another Power (Shape-Shifting) is really just a cheap way of getting around buying another existing Power...and one that you could get relatively cheaply, to boot. The reason Elongation was added to the UPB at all is because it is disparate enough from Shape-Shifting as to require it to be a discrete ability. Sure, it's related (the UPB even makes the comment that "Elongation is a specialized form of Shape-Shifting"!)...but it is different. That's why the "150%" caveat was placed under Shape-Shifting in the first place.

Consider this: a man with a 3' arm has Amazing 50 Shape-Shifting and can elongate it to 4.5' by virtue of that Power. Now, consider a man that has Poor 4 Elongation with the same 3' arm. He can extend his grasp 12' with that Power! That's a considerable upgrade (and one that a player could buy for a measly 14CP, too). Now, when you shift up the Power to Excellent 20...you're getting a near-ridiculous 60' of length (and bought at only 30CP).

Buy the Power if you want it. It's cheap. And not only is it fun at parties, but it makes you immeasurably more popular with the ladies, if you know what I mean. ;)

Couldn't resist that last joke...it is Valentine's Day, you know!

The Rook
February 15, 2008 04:17AM
I'm not sure that I'd consider the 1000+ karma spent for a power stunt as a cheap way of adding a power, which in a sense power stunts are in many cases anyway. You're taking a power that works one way and expanding it to have something radically different or specialized in a way related to the original power. Someone starting with Telepathy for example power stunts Mind Probe, Mental Blast, Mind Control, etc. is gaining multiple powers relatively cheaply if you compare them to a setting using CP for initial character creation, yet nothing is seen as wrong about that. The same goes with a Telekinetic learning to fly and fire Telekinetic force bolts, each something that can be taken as a separate power.

I think you might be inappropriately applying the size limits for shapeshifting in regards to the power stunting of Elongation as well, as they're intended to apply for someone like who's say 6' tall wanting to transform into a 30' tall dinosaur, but that's simply too much to attempt without support powers like Growth. The physical requirements are entirely different when looking to take a particular limb and learn to focus the power to extend it far beyond what he could simply by assuming a larger form.

While I haven't a horse in the race I don't see where it hurts anything allowing Elongation as a power stunt at a CS reduction off of Shapeshifting but in the end that's up to you.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

Game On?
February 20, 2008 01:01AM
Getting pumped up about this game. Hope The Rook starts us soon. Who all is in on it?

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
Re: Game On?
February 20, 2008 01:30AM
I've been waiting patiently on everyone to get vetted and the whole shebang to get started, no idea who else is involved or pending approval though.

-- Peter David

February 20, 2008 07:08AM
All--

Yes...the game is officially ON. :D

Check your individual e-mails for the invites to the Groups page...and we'll get started from there!

The Rook
February 20, 2008 07:22AM
Already checked, added, and waiting to see the intro e-mail(s)! :)

-- Peter David

Fragment #2
February 21, 2008 03:06AM
In the billiards room....
Attachments:
open | download - 2.pdf (29.1 KB)
Re: Fragment #2
February 21, 2008 03:13AM
On the killing fields....

The Rook
Attachments:
open | download - 3.pdf (20.1 KB)
A round of applause....
February 24, 2008 05:26AM
...for the one known as The Rook. This game is off to an Excellent (20) start right out of the gate.

If only we could give Karma to the Judge when he does well. But alas, we cannot. So I'm dividing 100,000 Karma points, originally set aside for The Rook, between my fellow players and I. Better luck next time. (:!D

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.