Welcome to the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning!

Posted by The Rook 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Welcome to the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning!
February 10, 2008 02:52AM
Hey everybody!

...that's the "tag-line" for my new PBEM, to be conducted on Yahoo! Groups. It is an X-Men/New Mutants Campaign that is based in "nonlinear" Marvel Continuity (which is to say, based wholly in my own Marvel history).

The "game design" portion of the campaign is largely complete. Right now, I'm in the fun part (sarcasm intended): the"character recruitment" phase of the game. That's why I'm canvassing the website for potential players! I'm looking for anywhere from four to six serious players to provide the "cast of characters" for the campaign. I'll be posting "flavor bits" here and there inside this thread to entice anybody that might be interested in joining up. Attached to this post, for starters, are my character creation guidelines.

E-mail me or PM me with questions! :D

The Rook
Attachments:
open | download - Creationism.doc (36.5 KB)
Fragment #1
February 10, 2008 03:45AM
Overheard in the Danger Room....
Attachments:
open | download - Fragment 1.doc (28.5 KB)
Re: Fragment #1
February 10, 2008 06:10PM
In the creation process how much will you charge for equipment attributes such as: material strength, damage, etc?

Is is necessary that we play mutants or will you allow other character types?

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 10, 2008 07:47PM
TLD,

First, thanks for your interest in my game! :D

Now, to answer your questions in order:

1) This is an excellent question (and one I hadn't considered before, actually)! After considering it for a while, I've decided that you can pay for special equipment using this formula:

10CP (for purchasing the Unique Weapon Power) + 1.5CP per Rank Number of the Item's highest Rank.

For example, let's say you wanted to buy yourself a really nasty Cable-type gun. We'll say it has the following stats:
Range--Ex20, Damage--In40, MatStr--Rm30.
You'd be charged 70CP for that weapon (10CP + 60CP for the In40 Damage).

Or..you wanted to come up with a one-man aircraft that looks like this:
Control--Rm30, Speed--Ex20, Body--Ex20, Protection--Ty6
Yu'd be charged 55CP for that vehicle (10CP + 45CP for the Rm30 Control).

Sound good? I think that's about fair. If you have an idea that doesn't quite fit that train of thought (I can see where some stuff like a complicated battlesuit might not fit the equation), run it by me via PM and we can discuss it there.

2) No, it's not strictly necessary that you play mutants. In the history of the various X-Books, I can think of several instances (Warlock, for example) in which members or affiliates have been "non-mutants". So feel free to be creative. Just make sure that when you construct your character's history that it reflects why a character such as the one you wish to play--if he/she is a non-mutant--makes sense in that setting.

Hope that clears it up for you! :D

The Rook
February 10, 2008 08:36PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

My next question is about Invulnerability. If I was to roll that Power it has an automatic rank of Class 1000. How do you want the CP cost for that Power to be handled?

I've got a few different ideas for a character and one of them would involve this Power.

Thought I would ask this question in the public forum just in case someone else has the same question. That way you don't have to answer it more that once. ;-)

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 10, 2008 08:53PM
TLD,

No, thank you for your prompt reply! ;)

My next question is about Invulnerability. If I was to roll that Power it has an automatic rank of Class 1000. How do you want the CP cost for that Power to be handled?

Another excellent Power-related question. Invulnerability has the inherent flaw in it, in that it's tightly defined as being proof against one type of attack. That means I really don't have a problem with it (unless you're considering trying to make it against something such as "Kinetic Energy", which would be way too broad for my liking). Pay for it as a 60CP Power (for those keeping track at home, that's 10CP to buy it + 50CP Power Rank (2% of what it would normally cost)).

I've got a few different ideas for a character and one of them would involve this Power.

No problem. My sensation is that you're going to try and "tie it in" to another power, such as the Human Torch has an Invulnerability to Fire. That's perfectly fine with me.

Thought I would ask this question in the public forum just in case someone else has the same question. That way you don't have to answer it more that once. ;-)

I appreciate the consideration...and that's fine with me, too! Whatever you feel most comfortable with! :D

The Rook
February 10, 2008 08:58PM
Hmmmm, what kind of cost would it be for a power similar to what the Exiles Mimic has? He's been shown to have two basic powers, Power Detection/Analysis and the ability to duplicate the entire power template of up to five targets. While Power Duplication itself is just a one-slot power would his version be effectively a 2 Slot power given the comprehensive range it provides?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
February 10, 2008 09:24PM
Nightmask,

What kind of cost would it be for a power similar to what the Exiles Mimic has? He's been shown to have two basic powers, Power Detection/Analysis and the ability to duplicate the entire power template of up to five targets. While Power Duplication itself is just a one-slot power would his version be effectively a 2 Slot power given the comprehensive range it provides?

Mimic's Power, as it is in the comics, wouldn't be comprised of a single power, in my game. I'd require that a Player would buy Amazing Rank Power Duplication (and two-slot Power Dupe, at that--remember "classic" Power Dupe only copies one power at a time!) and Amazing Rank Power Detection. Even then, he wouldn't be able to pull entire power templates, but rather single powers, such as the Power description in the UPB implies. Maybe after a lot of time and Power Stunting it could improve, but....

Sorry, guys. Mimic is one bad hombre.

The Rook
February 10, 2008 09:40PM
But so nice to have on your team. :) Still, for a 2 slot cost that doesn't seem to be any different than a single-slot cost. He also has the limitation that it takes something like an hour for him to permanently copy a particular individual's powers, no where near as quickly (one turn) as for the Earth-616 version (his benefit is once he's done he can keep it indefinitely, the Earth-616 version requires staying within a mile of the source of any powers he's copying, or at least classic criminal Mimic does). It'd seem more appropriate for him to have to work on a power stunt to copy more than a single individual at a time (and some characters only have a single power anyway, like Cyclops, unless you want to include his protection from his brother Havok's power as another power).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

Magic Question
February 10, 2008 09:46PM
How exactly is magic being handled? Is it bought as a single power with a rank that your spells are considered a power stunt off of or do you have to buy each spell as a power? If as individual powers how is one's overall magic rank determined, particularly for the rare character like Forge or Dr. Doom who both have magic and technology and want to use their magic to reduce the costs of building something as per the rules in the Dr. Doom Boxed Set?

-- Peter David

February 10, 2008 09:50PM
Nightmask,

Very nice to have on your team, indeed.

Really, the essence of what I wanted to point out was that because of the way the power works in the UPB (and that's the rules we're playing with), you'd need multiple powers to get the effect Mimic does...not just a suped-up Power Duplication. That is, at least in our game ! :)

The Rook
February 10, 2008 09:59PM
That'd be where it'd qualify under the heading of a new/unique/modified version of the power to discuss and work out with the GM, if possible. Just like the two slot True Invulnerability is an extremely upgraded version of Body Resistance, or Elemental Conversion compared to Elemental Creation. You end up sinking a lot of CP into the power at the expense of stats for the option of switching powers and adding those of others, with no other basic powers to fall back on if something happens to wipe those powers (as has happened several times with the criminal Mimic and the Super-Adaptoid).

-- Peter David

Re: Magic Question
February 10, 2008 10:06PM
Nightmask,

How exactly is magic being handled? Is it bought as a single power with a rank that your spells are considered a power stunt off of or do you have to buy each spell as a power? If as individual powers how is one's overall magic rank determined, particularly for the rare character like Forge or Dr. Doom who both have magic and technology and want to use their magic to reduce the costs of building something as per the rules in the Dr. Doom Boxed Set?

Ah, the "magic" can of worms. I knew I'd have to deal with this sooner or later. So sooner it is!

The answer: Magic is purchased just like any other (Two-Slot) Power and individual spells are treated as Power Stunt off of that (keep in mind the Karma cost of Power Stunting, though, which is rough for a beginning character). You also have the benefit of additionally getting "price reductions" if you have a Mentor that is capable and willing to teach you spells.

As for the admixture of science and sorcery, I use the Machines of Doom (Dr. Doom Boxed Set) table for that kind of thing...with the twist that the scientist-mage in question uses the WORSE of his Reason and Magic Ranks to determine his success/intensity of success. The reason I do this is because I tend to think that since you're marrying mind and magic...BOTH should come into play to determine success or failure. Magic weighs too heavily into the equation, otherwise.

Make sense?

The Rook
February 10, 2008 10:18PM
That seems a bit confusing and contradictory, since if you're going by the worse of the two's Ranks you really aren't marrying them, one's penalizing the other. Considering as the Doom set notes you require a yellow feat or better on your magic rank to use it to improve your construction abilities you could be a Monstrous rank magic user and still fail 50% of the time (and if a GM determines no karma use one would probably be lucky to ever succeed on the feat roll considering how fickle dice are). Odds are as a 2-slot cost a player isn't likely to even buy at Amazing rank, making the odds of improving any construction with magic even worse.

If you do allow for karma to improve the chance of being able to successfully use magic in building something the player has a serious karma vacuum to drain him and reduce how many new spells he lerans as well.

Hmmm, so if a character is at least partially a mage who creates the mentor, the Player while designing the PC or the GM?

-- Peter David

February 10, 2008 10:43PM
Nightmask,

That seems a bit confusing and contradictory, since if you're going by the worse of the two's Ranks you really aren't marrying them, one's penalizing the other. Considering as the Doom set notes you require a yellow feat or better on your magic rank to use it to improve your construction abilities you could be a Monstrous rank magic user and still fail 50% of the time (and if a GM determines no karma use one would probably be lucky to ever succeed on the feat roll considering how fickle dice are). Odds are as a 2-slot cost a player isn't likely to even buy at Amazing rank, making the odds of improving any construction with magic even worse.

I would disagree with the assertion that it doesn't marry the two Ranks; actually, it marrys them completely. I daresay that your argument seems to be more that you feel that it marries them too closely, penalizing the character for being weak in one discipline. And that's exactly what the system is meant to do. What it is meant to reflect is the notion that one must have mastery over both sciences in order to marry them.

If you do allow for karma to improve the chance of being able to successfully use magic in building something the player has a serious karma vacuum to drain him and reduce how many new spells he lerans as well.

I do allow for Karma expenditures for such die rolls. And as for the "Karma Vacuum" notion...well, it is what it is. It's never been a secret to any mage that has used the "Magic as a Single Power" variant of play that Karma is more precious than gold. This does up the ante somewhat, true, but not so much as to be over the top, IMHO. Also, take into account that the number of mages that this rule would affect is actually quite small (as you noted such individuals as Forge and Doom are rare in extremis).

Hmmm, so if a character is at least partially a mage who creates the mentor, the Player while designing the PC or the GM?

The Judge will create the Mentor, unless the character chooses a pre-established Mentor (such as Doctor Strange; don't forget to spend the points for taking him as a Contact, either). Of course, if the Player submits a good idea for the Mentor, I'm certainly amenable to reviewing it for use. I never turn down good ideas frivolously.

The Rook
February 10, 2008 11:26PM
The Rook Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nightmask,
>
> That seems a bit confusing and contradictory,
> since if you're going by the worse of the two's
> Ranks you really aren't marrying them, one's
> penalizing the other. Considering as the Doom set
> notes you require a yellow feat or better on your
> magic rank to use it to improve your construction
> abilities you could be a Monstrous rank magic user
> and still fail 50% of the time (and if a GM
> determines no karma use one would probably be
> lucky to ever succeed on the feat roll considering
> how fickle dice are). Odds are as a 2-slot cost a
> player isn't likely to even buy at Amazing rank,
> making the odds of improving any construction with
> magic even worse.
>
> I would disagree with the assertion that it
> doesn't marry the two Ranks; actually, it marrys
> them completely. I daresay that your argument
> seems to be more that you feel that it marries
> them too closely, penalizing the character for
> being weak in one discipline. And that's exactly
> what the system is meant to do. What it is meant
> to reflect is the notion that one must have
> mastery over both sciences in order to marry
> them.

I think you're looking at them as being more contrary than they should be, after all we don't see Dr. Doom suffering such difficulties even though his magic rank is considerably less than his Reason rank even if you don't include Doom's Hyper-Invention and talents into the mix. Just as Dr. Strange says there is no real difference between science and magic then it makes sense with the original consideration that you simply check against the magic rank to let it compliment your building skills, but the end decision in your campaign is of course yours.

> If you do allow for karma to improve the chance of
> being able to successfully use magic in building
> something the player has a serious karma vacuum to
> drain him and reduce how many new spells he lerans
> as well.
>
> I do allow for Karma expenditures for such die
> rolls. And as for the "Karma Vacuum"
> notion...well, it is what it is. It's never been
> a secret to any mage that has used the "Magic as a
> Single Power" variant of play that Karma is more
> precious than gold. This does up the ante
> somewhat, true, but not so much as to be over the
> top, IMHO. Also, take into account that the
> number of mages that this rule would affect is
> actually quite small (as you noted such
> individuals as Forge and Doom are rare in
> extremis).

True, but it's still significant as after a point the difficulty levels are so high an otherwise cool character gets left out because it's just impossible to play it where it ever succeeds.

> Hmmm, so if a character is at least partially a
> mage who creates the mentor, the Player while
> designing the PC or the GM?
>
> The Judge will create the Mentor, unless the
> character chooses a pre-established Mentor (such
> as Doctor Strange; don't forget to spend the
> points for taking him as a Contact, either). Of
> course, if the Player submits a good idea for the
> Mentor, I'm certainly amenable to reviewing it for
> use. I never turn down good ideas frivolously.

I guess that'd require you to make a list of available Mentor mages in your campaign then if they want a greater tie to the game by going with an established mentor instead of home-brewed, since no one has any idea what range of characters are available to mentor them unless they create the mentor themselves.

> The Rook

-- Peter David

Talent Question
February 10, 2008 11:29PM
Are there any particular rules regarding taking a talent more than once for an extra CS or two to the bonuses it provides, or are all talents limited to just one slot and one CS of bonus where applicable?

-- Peter David

February 11, 2008 12:03AM
Nightmask,

I think you're looking at them as being more contrary than they should be, after all we don't see Dr. Doom suffering such difficulties even though his magic rank is considerably less than his Reason rank even if you don't include Doom's Hyper-Invention and talents into the mix. Just as Dr. Strange says there is no real difference between science and magic then it makes sense with the original consideration that you simply check against the magic rank to let it compliment your building skills, but the end decision in your campaign is of course yours.

I understand where you're coming from. I would contend that Doom, by virtue of the fact that he is Doom, breaks a lot of the rules. He rarely suffers difficulties at anything he truly desires to do.

I'm sticking by the rule. Still, I will take your suggestion under consideration, as there are definitely merits to your argument.

True, but it's still significant as after a point the difficulty levels are so high an otherwise cool character gets left out because it's just impossible to play it where it ever succeeds.

Point taken. But as you'll see, I'm quite generous with Karma rewards. That offsets things somewhat.

I guess that'd require you to make a list of available Mentor mages in your campaign then if they want a greater tie to the game by going with an established mentor instead of home-brewed, since no one has any idea what range of characters are available to mentor them unless they create the mentor themselves.

That's quite true. What will occur, under the supposition that someone would like to play a magus, is that I will ask them if they would like a Mentor. If they do, I will offer them several choices. Pretty simple, that. :)

The Rook
Re: Talent Question
February 11, 2008 12:18AM
Nightmask,

Excellent question. I sort of take a cue from the Saga Rules on this point. Here's the deal: Take a talent once...it works as per usual. Take it twice...it still works as if you had it only once. But...if you stick with it and take it THREE times, you get an additional +1CS to the talent in question--and you're considered "World-Class" in the field in question (ie: several "in-game" perks whenever this field is brought into question). For example: Forge would be considered "World-Class" in Holography (having taken the Talent thrice). He would get a +2CS to Feats relevant to this field. Additionally, using Forge again, if he were fighting Iron Man and he used his holographic projector to appear in more places than one...he would be able to apply his +2CS Rank to sussing out which one was the real Shell-Head (not necessarily the case with just having bought the Talent once). Later, he might get an anonymous phone call from one of the Stark International-held "dummy firms" inquiring about how much his contractor fees were to improve an existing "weapons-grade holography system". ;)

The Rook
Re: Talent Question
February 11, 2008 12:17PM
Hold on a moment would it not work if you made it so that at the second time the talent was acquired the +whatever to avoiding it such as the Forge figuring out Iron Man's projector thing because though it's a good plan the way you have it set up most players think "What can I get out of this now?" So, in essence give them the boost at two and then up it at three because you don't have to be world class to know what your doing better that most other idiots in the world

Start the day with a smile and get it over with

Money is better than poverty if only for financial reasons

Money can't buy happiness but it does bring a more plesant form of misery

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.