Thoughts on Spider-climb

Posted by Nightmask 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Thoughts on Spider-climb
November 20, 2007 08:13PM
Punstarr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nah dude, those were razor bats. I'm pretty sure
> a pumpkin bomb's a pumpkin bomb.
>
> I'm pretty sure he has been shot in the comics.

Yeah but they started out as a pumpkin bomb! They turned into bats after he pressed the button. And the bomb that atomized the corporate jerks was different than the exploding bombs cause the first two he threw blew out the building and the one that atomized the people only did that and did not destroy the surrounding area. So clearly you got it wrong man. I just watched it to be sure! Lol! Besides what kinda threat would Gobby be if he didn't pack all sorts of things in his pumpkins?! 8-)

"POWER.... WITHOUT "perception" is virtually USELESS.... and therefore of NO.... "true" VALUE"
November 21, 2007 12:11AM
I always contributed Spiderman's ability to take and heal damage faster than normal to a combination of his high Endurance(giving him a higher durability, speed and healing rate than normal) and his molecular bonding power which allows his wallcrawling power.
My thought is this molecular bonding power acts to allow his own molecular structure to bond more strongly and hold together better against damage.
A kind of natural structural integrity field. Being natural, it would act even when unconscious. This negates the need for another power, just an extension of a already existing one.
This could also explain some of Spidey's extreme feats. This field could increase in times of great stress and allow his body to take more damage and utilize greater amounts of strength and speed without causing great damage to his body.
Of course, this could also lead to development of other kind of power stunts based off of this power, at least if he could learn to control it in a way that zen masters can control their autonomic bodily functions....

"Worlds Within Worlds!,
World Without End!..."
"There are Universes inside my Mind!!!"
November 21, 2007 05:54AM
Bullets apply pinpoint pressure and damage though, bombs are more of a shockwave that spreads the force uniformly over and around a body. Spider-man might simply be possessed of limited protection against concussive force like that of bombs but unable to resist more focused damage like that of bullets and knives, much like how a bed of nails can actually end up harmless if the nail density is high enough. Same reason why someone punching him doesn't put their fist through his chest, the force is spread out enough over the area of the fist for his flesh to take it.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2007 05:55AM by Nightmask.
November 21, 2007 09:33AM
warhammer Wrote:
> I always contributed Spiderman's ability to take
> and heal damage faster than normal to a
> combination of his high Endurance(giving him a
> higher durability, speed and healing rate than
> normal) and his molecular bonding power which
> allows his wallcrawling power.
> My thought is this molecular bonding power acts
> to allow his own molecular structure to bond more
> strongly and hold together better against damage.
> A kind of natural structural integrity field.
> Being natural, it would act even when unconscious.
> This negates the need for another power, just an
> extension of a already existing one.
> This could also explain some of Spidey's
> extreme feats. This field could increase in times
> of great stress and allow his body to take more
> damage and utilize greater amounts of strength and
> speed without causing great damage to his body.
> Of course, this could also lead to development
> of other kind of power stunts based off of this
> power, at least if he could learn to control it in
> a way that zen masters can control their
> autonomic bodily functions....

Excellent points Warhammer! This explains his resistance to damage when falling from certain heights and falling debris or hits from foes like the Rhino and Doc Oc! A normal person in many cases would be handicapped or dead!

And Nightmask has great points too: "Bullets apply pinpoint pressure and damage though, bombs are more of a shockwave that spreads the force uniformly over and around a body. Spider-man might simply be possessed of limited protection against concussive force like that of bombs but unable to resist more focused damage like that of bullets and knives,..."

A combination of many of these factors allow Spidey to do what he does and the movies might exaggerate some, but they mostly portray it as it should be. Yet, I still stand by what I said earlier that the distance and caliber of the bullet may determine if he can deflect it or not. But who would pull a 22caliber pistol on Spidey? Lol!(:!D

"POWER.... WITHOUT "perception" is virtually USELESS.... and therefore of NO.... "true" VALUE"
November 23, 2007 11:37AM
His daughter from the MU2 did develop a power stunt with her Spider-Climb that let her not just attract items to stick to them but to create a repulsion field that let her effectively fire stuff from her hands. I don't know how powerful the launching effect was but I think she could manage Excellent damage with a launched item and a range of one area.

With the increase in the power levels after his rebirth Spider-man has more control over it in areas beyond his hands and feet now, which ironically would have let him bond his costume to his body to prevent someone removing it to discover his identity but he fell for the con-job Stark fed him and made that a moot point.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

November 23, 2007 11:46AM
With the latest issue of Avengers: Initiative, his identity may yet turn out to be secret.

November 23, 2007 12:18PM
What, are they going to try a 'Hey everyone it was an evil skrull masquerading as Spider-man and he just framed Peter Parker as part of his evil scheme'? That'd be such a crock, and as thin as it gets when it comes to believability.

-- Peter David

November 23, 2007 12:52PM
Nope, it was actually pretty cool. You oughtta check it out. :)

November 23, 2007 05:29PM
Nightmask Wrote:
> With the increase in the power levels after his
> rebirth Spider-man has more control over it in
> areas beyond his hands and feet now, which
> ironically would have let him bond his costume to
> his body to prevent someone removing it to
> discover his identity but he fell for the con-job
> Stark fed him and made that a moot point.

I don't know why they say that it's a new ability when he's always had it. I hate when writers/editors forget about things that are that well-documented. The other established fact that a lot of writers forget is that once Peter has latched onto a surface, he's stuck. The only way to get him off is to break the material he's stuck to. I guess now Peter is going to completely forget how to make web fluid now that he has organic webshooters. Oh well.

TAG
Proof to back me up... (400k image)
November 23, 2007 05:55PM

From Adjectiveless Spider-Man #26. Part of SpM's 30th Anniversary Hologram month.

TAG
November 23, 2007 06:25PM
Oh I remembered quite well it was a body-wide field, but that it was considered more concentrated in his hands and feet (although that might have been more a result of his perceptions rather than any real variation in its strength dependent upon where measured on his body). It does get annoying when they start ignoring ideas and forgetting things for something new tacked onto a character, which like you point out would likely have him forgetting all his ability in engineering and chemistry and how to construct things like his webshooters and their webfluid.

-- Peter David

Re: Proof to back me up... (400k image)
November 23, 2007 08:18PM
I remember that issue!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.