Er...I guess I'm new...

Posted by DarkFalz1295 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Er...I guess I'm new...
October 22, 2007 03:44PM
Well my friends and I have just found this game (along with the nifty website) and I've downloaded the book and somewhat read them but does anyone have some advice that can help us along (btw I was elected GM)
Re: Er...I guess I'm new...
October 22, 2007 04:20PM
Welcome to the forums! :)

Did you have any specific advice in mind? That's a broad question.

October 22, 2007 04:30PM
yeah i know its a tad broad though i really dont know enough to know what to ask lol so im just asking for basic tips to help the game along...if this helps
October 22, 2007 05:33PM
Well for general suggestions, pick one of the simple modules, like Day of the Octopus to test everyone in, either hand out or assign pregenerated characters or have everyone toss together some quick characters just to get their feet wet and run them through it and get a feel for the game. After you're done running it you all discuss what you felt were snags and good points, what might have made it play easier and either run it again with new or the same characters and a few mods to keep it surprising and see how that improves the feel. Then just go from there.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
October 22, 2007 06:06PM
Thank-you very much. I will definitely use these.
October 22, 2007 06:21PM
You're quite welcome, glad to be of help.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
October 23, 2007 05:27AM
Run it as the rules are written and when you encounter a situation where you believe you have a better idea or game mechanic then give it a try.

Game Judges have been doing it this way since the game came out nearly 24 years ago.

Just last night I was reading through some of the Marvelphile articles. In one of them, the writer wrote that he has a house rule that when characters are "under fire" he permits them to make Dodge FEATs, even though they may have already used their alloted actions for the round. However, instead of the character getting the full -2, -4, or -6, he halves it to -1, -2, and -3.
He then wrote that if you like that idea, feel free to use it.

What I liked about what he wrote was that he is a fella who was a "official" contributor to TSR and actually Game Judged MSH. Even the brainiacs who helped the game along during it's 8 year run used their own house rules.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff Grubb even came up with rules that he used but never had published.

Bottom Line: You can make your game as simple or as complex as you like. The rules are extremely flexible.

If you come up with some house rules, you are welcome to share them with the Forum.
Regardless if we at the Forum like what you may come up with, what matters is this: Does it work for you and is your group having fun?
October 23, 2007 12:56PM
Thank-you very much I deff. know what to do now
October 24, 2007 05:13AM
The only other piece of advise that I think may be of help to you. If the players are heading in the opposite direction to the bar that you were wanting them to end up in then you could transpose the event with similar setup and or type of characters with the clues that they were going to need.

This way you don't force them to go along one direction. It also give them the sense that they have more control in game so rather than have them in a bar where a fight breaks out you could have a similar fight occur in a midnight rally or even a church ceromony. How you handle it is upto you.

During the course of the said encounter you will be able to place the clue/ item/ person in site of the PC/heros.

Also if you are going to introduce other cannon heros such as the hulk, Thor or the like have them as the victims so that the heros are coming to their aid and not the other way around.

In my game I had my heros rescue Nich fury and Captain America when they were taken by the red skull.

If a PC must die in the encounter then try to make sure that they at least go out in a heroic fashion unless they did something bonehead stupid that you could not do anything other than smite their character.
HINT: no one stays dead for long in Marvel. Sort of been established in the comics by the writers. Too many alternative dimensions and time travellers/clones with implanted memories and the like.

If the main villian is to get away make sure that you allow him to in a way that is feasible. If the players are to catch him before you are ready remember that you have a whole imagination of henchmen who will try to rescue said villain. Also you may not have to try too hard as the players will more than likely leave holes in their plans and the like. Where you need to exploit this. Or have the villian demonstrate a new power that will not break the game but be enough to help them get away.

You dont need to show your Villians write ups at anytime but have them handy so you can add or remove from them.

Remember at the end of the day if the group works ingeniously to thrawt your plans and cut the proverbial @$$ out of the villian. Reward them. Also dont forget to cut them a break as well.
October 24, 2007 07:15PM
thanks for the help
November 02, 2007 08:35PM
Pleased to meat you, and welcome! I guess my advice for new DM's is :

1. Your word is Gospel, except for those times it supercedes Gospel. If your players want to argue a certain point, listen, and if reasonable, be fair. But if they're like that crowd from Knights of the Dinner Table, be cruel.

2. Don't be afraid to steal from outside sources. Me and Mrs. Surge have had great adventures ripping off Farscape, Dr. Who, Buffy, etc. etc. If done well, totally stealing ideas can make for a great campaign.

3. If you've ever caught an acting bug, go for it! Nothing makes a villian or good NPC memorable and fun by co-opting their voice, mannerisms, personality, etc.

Well, that's all for now. Enjoy MSH and our forum! Surge.

November 03, 2007 11:57AM
lol thanks and im actually kinda rippin off heroes right now lol

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.