The Marvel Zombie Plague

Posted by jacknemo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The Marvel Zombie Plague
March 04, 2008 07:56AM
My take on the Marvel Zombie plague:

The plague itself:

Stated to be extraterrestrial in origin (Army of Darkness vs. Marvel Zombies) the 'zombie' plague is a morphological virus which has severe psychological components. Brought to Marvel Earth 2149 by Magneto and Fabian Cortez, the carrier ( a version of Sentry) immediately infected the Avengers, who then began systematically devouring and spreading the plague to the metahuman community. Within three days, the entire planet's metahuman population (with very few exceptions) were affected, and the planetary population was reduced to a handful of survivors.

How the plague works:

The Plague is spread through fluid contact with the virus, requiring very little contact to immediately infect a hero or villain. A simple scratch can affect a hero within minutes (As seen in Marvel Zombies: Dead Days). The plague then begins to alter the individual's biochemistry, causing them to vomit up blood and other organic materials while it replaces them. Within minutes of introduction, the individual's physiology is altered to the point of no return, shutting down the healing and regenerative properties of the human body, arresting decomposition and cellular activity. In essence, the individual is dead, with continued brain function and partial digestive adaptability.

Within seconds that the physical symptoms have stopped, a psychological component begins to take effect, creating a psychosomatic element that creates great pain in the individual unless the individual consumes the flesh of the living. The pain subsides for minutes or seconds, but returns within one to six hours with greater intensity, lessening the time in which the consumption of flesh sates the pain. During this period, the individual's primary concern will be to sate the hunger, and will abandon any previous connections to family, friends, and allies in order to stop the pain. (As seen with Spider Man in Marvel Zombies: Dead Days when he ate Aunt May and Mary Jane).

If the individual can go without devouring anyone for a significant length of time, the hunger will abate and finally disappear, restoring the individual's personality to their 'normal' level, albeit with full memories of what they have done.

Game Mechanics:

For the purposes of the game, an individual is infected when they are exposed directly to the virus via an infected person, usually through bite. Once the hero is bitten, the following occures:

The hero must immediately make an Endurance FEAT against +2cs of their current Endurance. The FEAT is to determine the length of time before they themselves become infected. Androids and Robots do not need to make such a FEAT, nor do any heroes whose state is considered 'unliving'.

Regeneration, Recovery, resistance to Disease, or any healing abilities cannot arrest the plague once infected.

Depending on the FEAT result, the following time-frame is used to determine how much time a hero has before they turn:

-White: Immediate conversion within the same round of infection
- Green: 1 round before the conversion occurs
- Yellow: 1 to 10 minutes before the conversion occurs
- Red: 1 hour before the conversion occurs.

Note: Once the conversion occurs, the hero immediately begins to suffer the psychological need to feed:

- Heroes can resist the psychological compulsion by making a Red Psyche FEAT at - 2cs.
- Heroes lose all Karma once the conversion occurs.
- Heroes will immediately attack and consume those immediately nearby with intent on killing and devouring.

Once a hero undergoes conversion, they immediately become NPCs (unless your judge is running a Marvel Zombies campaign...ewwww)

The hero immediately loses any regeneration/healing abilities, and begin to slowly decompose. They retain their intellect and skills, as well as most of their additional powers. If their powers utilize something akin to worthiness or noble actions, they immediately lose access to them.

In addition, individuals gain the following:
- Unliving state: The infected do not feel pain, except for the hunger, and as such can even suffer dismemberment without even slowing down. As such, they cannot be killed through conventional means, such as complete molecular destruction or full destruction of the brain. The brain is the key component that drives the infected, and it must be completely destroyed to stop the infected. The infected can survive any condition including beheading (As seen in Marvel Zombies 2, issue 1) and do not require anything to continue to exist, save to stave off the hunger. In essence, the infected are immortal, remorseless beings who are parodies of their former selves.

- The hunger: The relentless drive that the infected suffer. At any time, the infected can try to resist the hunger, by making a series of Red Psyche FEATs. The first FEAT is to stop from devouring, requiring a Red Psyche FEAT at -2cs. If successful, the infected can resist the hunger for up to one hour, allowing them to be incarcerated or held in a detoxification center. The next FEAT is a Red FEAT at -4cs which will allow the Infected to resist the hunger through the worst parts of the addiction. The final Red Psyche FEAT is at -6cs, which is the worst part of the addiction. Should the infected manage to make the FEATS, they will overcome the hunger, and therefore, can be warily treated like the heroes they once were...however...

Should an infected ever devour a living being again, they immediately resort to the creatures they have become, requiring them to undergo the process again.

A Cure?

At this moment, there is no known cure for the Zombie Plague. It is reasoned that a cure would require both Mn (75) and above Reason and Mn (75) and above resources with additional talents to develop a cure or vaccine. Neither Mr. Fantastic or Doctor Doom came close to uncovering a solution to the plague, and agreed that fleeing the Earth was a better solution. If a cure was possible, it would have to be administered PRIOR to full conversion into an infected, during the first stages of exposure. Once the infection has set in, it is nearly impossible to reverse it, requiring nothing short of reality alteration.
Re: The Marvel Zombie Plague
March 04, 2008 09:06AM

Regeneration, Recovery, resistance to Disease, or any healing abilities cannot arrest the plague once infected.

Which makes zero sense. It's a supernatural disease. What is it, Class 5000 intensity? If that were the case it could infect beings like Ego or Eternity... and that's simply preposterous.

I like your write up, but I loathe the entire Marvel Zombies concept.

Incidentally, welcome back to the forums! I see you registered a year back. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2008 09:09AM by Punstarr.
March 04, 2008 09:14AM
---Which makes zero sense. It's a supernatural disease. What is it, Class 5000 intensity? If that were the case it could infect beings like Ego or Eternity... and that's simply preposterous.---

Sorry to say, it's not a supernatural disease...it's an extraterrestrial disease, as it was stated twice (Marvel Zombies 2, Army of Darkness Vs. Marvel Zombies which was part of the continuity).

Secondly, in Marvel Zombies, Wolverine stated that his healing factor has in essence stopped working since he was infected, the same was true by the continued deterioration of the other zombies and their need to replace missing parts with cybernetics.

As far as galactic beings, I would imagine for the most part when I stated it on how it was passed that it would require a bite and/or fluid contact between infected and the target. Ego was devoured (marvel zombies 2, issue 1), and Eternity would be beyond this as Eternity is not a biological being.

Since Phoenix and Gladiator were infected, I would venture to say that the disease is a biological one, and since it was clearly stated as being extraterrestrial, it is capable of affecting only biological or 'living' beings.

For the record, I'm not a fan either, but I think it is an interesting enough concept to write-up.
March 04, 2008 09:58AM
Well by supernatural I mean beyond the scope of mundane disease. I just think that beings like the Juggernaut should have been immune. They guy has Class 3000 protection for cryin out loud. :-\

March 04, 2008 10:47AM
My bad :D

I agree, Juggs should have resisted it, I'm still trying to wrap my mind on the eating Galactus bit...it just doesn't make sense to me...especially with what is known about Galactus...or the surfer for that matter.
March 04, 2008 11:45AM
I brought that up to someone in a similar thread regarding Marvel Zombies, but considering the reality has other divergences perhaps the Juggernaut of that setting is like the one from X3, a random mutant rather than mystical avatar origin and as such lacking the protection from infection the Earth-616 Juggernaut would have.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
March 07, 2008 08:30PM
i remember years ago when what if had wolverine as lord of the vampires, and in that universe Juggernaut had been turned, and i alwas wondered how that was possible
March 07, 2008 08:35PM
Well Wolverine as Lord of the Vampires would be a magical creature and Juggernaut's also magical, I suppose it's a possibility, although a big big stretch.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

March 08, 2008 08:49PM
One thing about the plague I still can't wrap my brain around is how beings like Thor and Hercules got infected. Even if the infectious agent were to be directly injected into their bloodstreams, they still have CL1000 resistance to disease. Another point I'd like to make is that even if we assume the disease was capable of infecting them, why didn't Odin or Zeus get involved when they saw what the disease was capable of..
One passage in the Marvel Zombies series said that the Zombies consumed almost all the normal population of Earth in three days. This is flat-out impossible. Let us assume that the population of Earth-2149 is six billion normal humans, and that there were also 100,000 superbeings who became infected as the result of Quicksilver's attacks. This means that each and every one of the infected 100,000 supers would have had to consume 60,000 humans over those three days, or 20,000 each day. At an average weight of 200 lbs for each human consumed, the total mass that would have had to have been consumed is 6,000 tons...

Mike Garrity
March 08, 2008 09:58PM
Well being something that's 'campy' the Marvel Zombies pretty much ignored anything that would have rationally gotten in the way, like doing the math on how much a zombie could eat in a day.

-- Peter David

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.