Question: Would you choose Force Field or Energy Sheath?

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Question: Would you choose Force Field or Energy Sheath?
February 22, 2008 02:48AM
Making a character randomly, I rolled Force Field and Energy Sheath as two of my Powers. Looking over the Energy Sheath I realized that I have never made a character with an Energy Sheath that had a kinetic energy theme. I'm wondering what everyone here thinks the properties of an Energy Sheath based on kinetic energy would be. Based on what I read in the Ultimate Powers Book, it seems to me that it would operate similar to a personal Force Field, but with Life Support built into it.

Anyone here have a different opinion?

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
Re: Question: Would you choose Force Field or Energy Sheath?
February 22, 2008 03:48AM
I'm not sure that kinetic energy qualifies as something that could compose an energy sheath, as it's not energy in the sense that all the other types of sheathes listed are. I can't even figure out how to explain that to make it work.

As far as comparing Energy Sheath and Force Field to one another with the sheath you only get personal protection and few if any power stunts, whereas the Force Field (unless you took a personal force field as a limitation) can be projected at a distance and used for various offensive, defensive, and even movement-based power stunts.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
February 22, 2008 04:55AM
I'm leaving out the Power Stunt elements for this conversation because they are so clear from the beginning. But there are other things to consider. Like how kinetic energy can be used in a sheathing fashion. Let me know if you come up with something cool. I'm in total agreement that it is odd. That is why I thought I would throw it out to y'all. (Bracey is tainting me already.) Actually, since you brought up the Power Stunt thing.....

.....do you think having the innate Life Support element in Energy Sheath is worth losing the potential Power Stunts with Force Field?

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 22, 2008 09:51AM
I just don't see how you can create an energy sheath of kinetic energy, it's just not energy in the sense that the sheath power is intended for. Unfortunately some get confused that just because the word 'energy' is part of something that they're all pretty much the same. That kind of error had Warbird absorbing sonic energy when her power to absorb energy meant electromagnetic energy. Probably read a fact sheet that said 'absorbs energy' and the term was too generic and lacked enough information for correct interpretation. Kinetic energy is the energy contained in an object in motion relative to another object, it's not like trying to create a sheath of light around your body or electrons.

Well the life-support part of the energy sheath is a bit vague, and while some might consider it a bonus power that they don't have to pay for you have to sheath your entire body and that might not be possible ('Sorry there, didn't mean to electrocute you when trying to rescue you'), whereas the Force Field you can use any time and doesn't have the penalties that an energy sheath has.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

February 22, 2008 04:57PM
Since kinetic energy is the energy of motion and defined as such in the Ultimate Powers Book. What if the sheath only worked to defend when the character in question is moving. Or if the sheath had a direct effect on the motion of an incoming attack. Yeah, that sounds even better. Seems like there is something that can be done with it. Seeing how you can form a Kinetic Bolt, or alter the intensity of momentum with Kinetic Control. There might be some kind of way to make it work. I'm not really hell bent on using it or anything. Just never thought of it before and like most of us, I've been reading through that book for more than 20 years.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 24, 2008 06:38AM
I’d choose Force Field..... From what I remember a “Field” was more versatile than a “Sheath”

If I remember it correct; both surround the body... the Sheath was form fitting, while the Field was a bubble around you.........

Both are superb for ‘Armor’.... But a Sheath was specific for ‘Armor’ getting many Automatic FEATS while used for self preservation.

But, a Field could be manipulated into various simple shapes... such as a form fitting body suit, or a disc like frontal shield, or even blunt / edged projectiles...... You could even design simple tools and weapons.....

And under precise control a Field could change colors, patterns, opacity, temperature, emit light or sounds, or even be used as a ‘Filter’ to create chemical reactions, such as converting Water or Toxic Acid into Breathable air..... A Force Field was quite versatile.....

One of the main properties about a “Sheath” was you could transmit it’s strength on to a weapon you carry, making that weapon considerably more powerful...... And a “Sheath” was more resistant to certain types of attacks, such as making your skin, muscles, and bones as tough as ‘Armor’.........

Such as a ‘Heat’ or ‘Cold’ Sheath gives you an automatic level of invulnerability to extreme temperature...... but considerably less protection from other types of attacks..... A Kinetic Sheath would give you ‘Armor’ to Physical Attacks......

A Field is more used for external utilities, While the Sheath was more for internal body utilities........

I don’t think the Form or ‘Source’ of Energy for either ‘Sheath’ or ‘Field’ is all that relevant..... If the Energy Form is Kinetic by default.... You’d get MANY automatic FEATS involving Physical Attacks and Defenses...... but significantly less Automatic FEATS for Electricity, Gravity, Temperature, Toxic Radiation or other types of ‘Energy’..... But after a few Power Stunts other forms of Energy Manipulation would be mastered....

www.TankerAce.com | www.Arcain.com | www.Viper99.com
February 24, 2008 01:30PM
I once created a character whose powers were "kinetic" in nature. He could surround himself in a sheathe that would deprive incoming kinetic/force-based attacks of their potential energy and reduce damage by power rank... kinda like a kinetic null-field.

As for whether I'd chose force-field or kinetic sheathe... I suppose it all depends on the specific flavour I was looking for. The fact that one power might be "better" has rarely been a consideration for me. In the case of my kinetic based character, the sheathe simply set him apart from, say, the Invisible Woman, and made him unique.

------------------------------------------------
Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
February 26, 2008 01:14AM
Very cool. That is what I was getting at a few posts above. The idea that the field reduces the momentum of the incoming attack to reduce the force. I'm not trying to choose one power over the other really, just wanted to see what you guys would choose in that situation. Thanks for sharing man.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
February 26, 2008 01:57AM
Glad to help out, although I think I saw someone talk about a field of Potential Energy, which I have to say is nonsense. Everything has potential energy relative to something else (same with kinetic energy) but it doesn't really mean anything. Neither is a tangible energy in the power sense where one could create a field of it. Kinetic energy only has some powers specialized for it because it's still something that can be manipulated. You can slow, stop, accelerate, or change the direction of something relative to something else (Which btw is what you do anytime you pick up something so YES YOU DO HAVE A SUPERPOWER. KINETIC CONTROL, Limitation: Must touch object). But you manipulate Kinetic (and Potential) energy any time you act on an object, using some power you have to adjust those factors based on wht you're doing.

-- Peter David

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.