Question: Should She-Hulk have Regeneration?

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Question: Should She-Hulk have Regeneration?
January 18, 2008 04:25AM
None of the write ups I have ever seen list it. I've never followed the character but am wondering if somebody here has. If so could you tell me if she has ever demonstrated regenerative capabilities? Just curious really.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
Re: Question: Should She-Hulk have Regeneration?
January 18, 2008 04:32AM
I don't think I've ever seen her really show Regenerative Qualities, but then again neither did the Hulk until they felt like bumping him up and removing some of his Body Resistance and replacing it with a super-hyped Healing Factor. To date though she's only been shown having the traditional Body Resistance she's always shown (I don't think she's ever qualified for True Invulnerability, then again the Hulk probably doesn't either) and no exceptional regenerative factor. I suppose she might undergo some healing changing forms, at least from human to She-Hulk, but nothing beyond what increased health she recovers due to her Amazing Endurance in general.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 20, 2008 01:53PM
There is some intrinsic regengeration (or rapid healing) that takes place within Body Resistance, but that's already factored in as part of that defensive power (see the Ultimate Power Book).

But lately, I've seen lots of "hulk like" characters with a little bit of extra regeneration: Not a high level, mind you, but it's there. I don't think it'd be unreasonable to say Shehulk heals twice or three times as fast as someone else who has her same Endurance level.

"My parents went to The Secret Wars Battleworld and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt..."
January 20, 2008 02:19PM
Well here is what I am wondering:

Since Banner turn into the Hulk by being bombarded with Gamma radiation, and She Hulk got her power by being injected with his blood, and Doc Samson was hit with a lesser does of Gamma radiation........type of effects can we expect from new characters created in there various ways?

It has been said that She Hulk's Strength is proportionally higher than that of her Alter Ego. Well what if Jennifer had been at a higher Strength when she first gained the powers....would that have given her a higher initial Strength? Same with Bruce.

How much of who these people are to begin with effects how they are changed? More later. (I have to go pick up my brother)

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 20, 2008 02:48PM
Well Samson got his original dose of gamma radiation using the Hulk's own gamma radiation that was also permeated with his psionic energy (it was the left-over gamma radiation from what he'd drained to both cure Banner and use to cure Betsy Ross of being transformed into glass) and left him with his idealized form based on subconscious thoughts he had. He also had limitation that like he biblical Samson cutting his hair would reduce his strength so he kept it long to be at peak power but eventually someone thought that was too religious or not cool or such and it was dropped. He lost his powers after a subesquent radiation exposure and got them back apparently for good with a later Gamma burst.

Much if not all of the effects from Gamma Radiation seem to be keyed into subconscious desires of those who're affected and the wavelength of gamma radiation involved; like the Leader lusting after intelligence in his normal human form, Abomination sought physical power like the hulk and the ability to instill fear with his appearance, and during an especially shrewish period and temporary insanity Betsy Ross became a Harpy when exposed to Gamma Radiation by Modok (which someone apparently forgot that he determined her immune to harm from gamma radiation when they decided to have Abomination supposedly kill her with the same radiation).

One guy was a grossly overweight man who sought the Hulk's power to deal with his heal problems from his being so fat only to expand into an even more grossly overweight man and died as his body ruptured inside, which conveniently led to the destruction of laboratory equipment and scientists who could have used the process on anyone to hand out Hulk-like powers to others.

She-Hulk's Strength required time to stabilize after she acquired it, given her transformation was the result of a blood transfusion and not direct exposure. It was in fact killing her due to cellular instabilities and only the intervention of Michael Mobius the Living Vampire (who was enjoying a brief period of relative humanity when his curse was mostly cured) saved her life. From there she grew into her Hulk-based powers and it stabilized to being said to be an exponential increase over her base strength, such that if she were to work out in her human form that'd translate into a cheap and easy strength boost in her She-Hulk form. I don't think it excludes her being able to increase her She-Hulk strength by exercise as the She-Hulk however.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

January 20, 2008 03:00PM
It does seem like Regeneration's become almost a quick hand-out to every super-strong character around. It's becoming one of the most common super-powers around Marvel, either inspired by Wolverine or just to explain a hero recovering faster than a normal human from things, totally forgetting that they're naturally tougher and their faster healing comes from that higher Endurance and not a Healing Factor.

-- Peter David

January 20, 2008 11:52PM
Could the same thing be true of the Hulk then? Meaning could his Strength level be based on his Strength as Banner? I'm interested in the effects of Gamma radiation and the mutations that result. If we were to expose the Punisher, a human, to the same radiation that Banner was hit with.....what can we expect? See what I mean?

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 20, 2008 11:56PM
Agreed. There is a fad right now with the Regeneration. As you said, almost all of these superhuman types heal at advanced rates due to their Endurance being enhanced. There is a definite durability about many of these characters that does not really require the Power of Regeneration. You mentioned that there were other people who had Hulk like Power and Abilities. Was there a general theme about the characters?

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 21, 2008 12:14AM
The Hulk's strength is independent of Banner's strength and fluctuates pretty much solely based on his degree of rage. While the base has shifted at times depending on whether we're talking the original grey version, green child-like one, or the other varieties that have existed how strong Banner is has had no say on their strengths, it was all dependent upon their personality fragments.

Punisher would just get radiation poisoning and die; most people don't have the ability to take massive doses of any kind of radiation let alone gamma radiation to survive let alone transform. Rick Jones is a notable example; when he decided during the period before the visit to the Keystone Quadrant that resulted in Banner in control of the Hulk to use Banner's gamma ray transformation machine to transform himself into a Hulk all it did was given him radiation poisoning and cancer that he only survived due to the Beyonder. Assume most people just get cancer or radiation poisoning and die from Gamma Radiation exposure or give a very generous 1% chance to undergo a power-granting event.

Remember Hulk-like powers aren't a standard with gamma energy, while some might get enhanced strength and durability that tends to be a part of the packag for nearly any super-hero event. Many of those who did get such similar powers got them because they actively sought them (Samson) or it was carried in the genetic code transferred to them (She-Hulk). Half-Life was a life-draining enery vampire, a priest gained the power to heal and even resurrect the recently deceased, etc. Random exposure allows for a suitable survivor to gain just about any set of powers a GM would feel like agreeing to, they just have to end up green for some reason (Samson probably only ends up with green hair because someone thought he'd be too funky with green skin).

-- Peter David

January 21, 2008 12:25AM
Well not all of them are Hulk-Like, they've gone on about Spider-man's 'Spider-Healing' (talk about silver-age silliness, about like everything Superman did required adding 'Super' to it, no matter how rediculous doing so was), even though I don't think I've ever heard of spiders having any kind of rapid healing or regeneration. They introduced years ago a slew of new C-list characters one of which was pretty much the Hulk starting with human level stats and growing stronger as he berserked, another was super-strong and had a regenerative factor that rivaled Madcap's (to which Madcap complained when they met, feeling it horned in on his theme) although unless I'm confusing characters they stripped him of the regeneration so they could have 'fun' permanently crippling him with a deliberately inflicted spinal injury during the Civil War 'round up and cripple the heroes' hunts.

The powers the Hulk has (except for his rage power and Astral Detection) tend to be a staple in the comics anyway. Super-Strength and Endurance, Body Resistance or True Invulnerability and Hyper-Leaping to top things off. It's close to the basic Superman template minus the flight and energy emission powers. Somewhere along the line though they decided all that power just wasn't enough and had to add in Regeneration as well. Soon enough Self-Revival/Immortality will become a standard for them or as a subset of Regeneration (it's already creeped into Wolverine and to the Hulk to a degree).

-- Peter David

January 21, 2008 12:27AM
So Samson took a heck of a risk then. He could have easily just ended up killing himself. Not much of a story there I guess, but a possibility.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 21, 2008 02:22AM
Pretty much, but he had a theory that one could through specially controlled doses of Gamma Radiation develop powers equal to or greater than the Hulk's and wanted to test it (plus he had a craving for power and glory, which was obvious because as soon as he had that power he started hitting up Banner's girl and pushing Banner around and being a general bully, which provoked Banner into undoing his cure with another gamma exposure to pay back Samson for his behavior).

-- Peter David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2008 02:27AM by Nightmask.
January 21, 2008 04:21AM
Good point. Superman has super everything. Spider Man has spider everything. Cheesy, but fact of life.

But, what I was saying was that in your previous post you gave some examples of people who were exposed to Gamma radiation and what happened to them. Like the fat guy for example. These people are all in the lucky 1%, and gain Powers based on their desires?

What ever happened to this C List of characters?

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2008 04:22AM by The Last Duskblade.
January 21, 2008 06:12AM
The Fat Guy wasn't a random product, he was something of a mishap experiment. He had an amoral male scientist and a not quite as bad female scientist that lured the Hulk into letting himself be studied (you know how the child-like hulk was almost always easily taken in by women) from which they learned how to replicate the process of transformation. Unfortunately for the Fat Guy much of him was fat and an exponential increase in his cell count meant fat was produced more than normal healthy tissue, which was why he ended up bursting and dying. In the process though he snapped the neck of the male scientist who browbeat the woman into going along with things, she mocked the Fat Guy over his new form finding it a fitting punishment, then he burst and fell crushing her to death, with the Hulk kind of scratching his head wondering what happened. After it was all said and done he left.

I think most of the C-list Gamma Victims were killed during the destruction of the Leader's headquarters. He'd set off a gamma bomb in a town that he conveniently shielded with a force dome so the radiation was confined to just the town to test some of his theories regarding gamma radiation exposure and what percentage of a population would mutate instead of die. Once the bomb was set off he went in and collected the survivors, pretending to be a victim of gamma ray experiments like them and offering to help them out and took them to his previously prepared headquarters and town to give them a semblance of life while studying them. Circumstances brought him into conflict with the Hulk after he'd brought Rick Jones' wife there to revive her after she'd been killed. The place was destroyed and I can't remember if any of the gamma victims survived, but I'm fairly sure the priest died.

I'm not sure if you could say that they all gained their powers based on their sub-conscious desires, sometimes it's based on sub-conscious impressions about yourself, good or bad. Someone who's a good person but thinks that they're somehow bad due to abusive parents or molestation might end up with a body and powers based on that rather than their desires. It's often a dice-roll what aspects of their personalities would become enhanced or what powers that they craved would be brought for. The priest with healing powers was if I remember correctly a stereotypical hypocritical cheating priest yet the event gave him powers he was sure came from God to make up for his bad behavior.

-- Peter David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2008 06:20AM by Nightmask.
January 21, 2008 03:04PM
What did Michael Mobius do to save Jennifer from dying?

That seems like something that your could reproduce if you wanted to make a Hulk/Gamma type character.

Otherwise your taking a risk that a character may die in his quest for greater power.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 21, 2008 06:18PM
He sacrificed the formula he was working on to complete his cure to reformulate it to deal with Jennifer's problem. Remember that he is an expert in the field of biochemistry, particularly blood diseases. He just never gets to stay really cured for long because of the need to renew the copyright on him and they apparently can't come up with something better or a way to profitably transfer the identity to someone else and leave him cured.

Well Jennifer's a close blood relative of Banner and even the same blood type, I doubt you could easily create knock-offs of the Hulk just from a blood transfusion and Morbius's stabilizing formula. Plus a bunch of Hulk's running around a campaign would be somewhat redundant and burdensome, although I guess if it worked for your campaign then that's a good thing. I think most would simply die or get nothing from the deal (much like Aunt May was nearly killed by radiation poisoning from the trace radiation in Peter Parker's blood when he gave her a life-saving transfusion back in the 70s and resulted in that epic battle with Dr. Octopus that's had that scene of his caught beneath debris actually copied or referenced in several cartoons since then).

-- Peter David

January 22, 2008 12:40AM
Just so it is clear, I'm not wanting a campaign full of Hulks. But I do want to make sure that I'm playing the best I can, and without rewriting what has been put forth by Marvel. There are interesting concepts in Marvel, like the Gamma radiation effect on Banner. Most people in the real world would just die, but this guy becomes a powerhouse.

Love the Hulk. Such a cool character. Just read the trade paperback where Nick Fury grabs Banner from Alaska to defeat the Godseye Satellite. Loved it. Especially the beginning where he is salmon fishing with the bears.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 22, 2008 02:59AM
I haven't read that, well I saw some bits of it when I glanced in just to see if they'd finally gotten the Hulk back to stories that fit him and were worth reading. The Nick Fury that drafted the Hulk for that mission though is supposedly an LMD or some other fake as all that happened after he went into hiding. At least that's what was stated during WWH, how true that is I've no idea but Stark using an LMD to lure the Hulk into that situation so that they could exile him isn't difficult to believe, especially when he'd already gotten the aid of Samson to help sell him out.

-- Peter David

January 23, 2008 03:13AM
So Samson no longer has his Strength connected to the length of his hair, but how did they phase that out? That is a pretty big limitation to just drop all of the sudden.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class Forever!!!
January 23, 2008 04:26AM
Marvel's pretty good at just dropping stuff without explanation or warning, although I think they eventually explained it as his powers 'stabilizing' so that they were no longer dependent upon his hair length. Given how Marvel handles gamma radiation-based powers they could just have easily argued that since his powers were based on a sub-conscious image his power fluctuations were simply psychological like those of the Hulk and he's simply psycho-analyzed himself out of that limitation.

-- Peter David

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.