Micro-Environment

Posted by Lafarallin 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Micro-Environment
January 01, 2008 09:08PM
Nightmask:
Any power, resistances and the like aside, can have a stunt. A specific characters power might not.
Sure, Colossus might not be able to turn only his arm into steel, but Player Bob's character might.
Sure, Wolverine might be forced to let his regeneration just work, but Player Joe's character might be able to accelerate his healing in a short burst every once and again.
Sure, some telepaths could only speak with humans telepathically, but Jean Grey could speak with some animals.

The longer it takes for the description to detail what the power can do, the greater the probability somebody can come up with a stunt for it within a minute.
January 01, 2008 09:33PM
Mabey I'm wrong, but I think the original argument was about Micro-Environment granting the hero a limited form of Skywalk. Not as a Power Stunt but as a normal use of the Power. Later the debate turned into a Power Stunt issue, then it spiraled into total "adjfbhaldsfjgb."

I'm in agreement that most powers allow for Power Stunts.

TLD
January 01, 2008 09:45PM
Well, If the power creates a platfrom when no others exist, and it's a skin hugging bubble, then when you lift your right foot, it would create a platform right beneath it.
Of course, wether or not the platforms defy gravity is debateable. Are they inside the bubble or not?
I'd easily let you walk on water with this, though. Water hardly constitutes a platform.
January 02, 2008 02:15AM
Well, I mentioned this earlier but no one seemed to notice. Lowering the gravity within the bubble will make the hero inside float within the bubble. So in order to levitate you would just need to constantly reshape the field so that you could continue to swim forward through the air. This would be a real slow way to travel.

But does it make the bubble/field float?

On the platform thing, I think that when the Power Listing states that it will provide a place to stand provided there isn't one, it is leaving much room for interpretation.

Which is cool, because the comics are filled with people who have differing variations of the same power.

TLD
January 02, 2008 03:41AM
I didn't realize disagreeing with how a power worked was 'mind-numbing rules lawyering', or being the one insulted made one the rules lawyer and not the one being insulted by the rules lawyer. Either way I'm done with it, I don't care and there's no point to bring it up again because I didn't join this forum to have the fun sucked out of things but to have fun and maybe help others have some fun too.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
January 02, 2008 08:02AM
The micro-environment would "naturally" generate the platform under the soles of your feet (what you stand on). Walk as normal, in any direction, including upside down and 90 degrees straight up, as long as the intensity of the gravity in the micro-environment equals or exceeds the gravity of the surrounding environment the gravity of the surrounding environment doesn't matter. "Down" is relative to where you move your feet. There are no directions to be restricted to you if you could nullify external gravity effects. You wouldn't be launched into space, but you could walk there.

Walk right into space. You've even got an eternally full food and water supply with you.

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
January 02, 2008 08:24AM
You would need an equal or higher gravity within the micro-environment than the gravity outside it to cancel out the influences (including "down" orientation) of that outside gravity. A lower gravity intensity within the micro-environment would make you float inside the bubble, but the bubble itself would be pulled down by gravity.

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
January 02, 2008 08:33AM
Nightmask,

There's a difference between "rules lawyering" and wannabe "rules lawyering."

Telling me to "read the rules" while we're discussing the rules was unjustifiably arrogant of you. Especially when you're dead wrong on those rules in the eyes of the English-speaking literate world and elementary schoolchildren mastering arithmetic everywhere.

Stop being a pighead. Take it like a man. You can't defend your naysaying with the text of the power description of micro-environment.

At all.

Deal.

Now, let it go.

-----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2008 08:35AM by The Beyonders.
January 02, 2008 03:23PM
He said he stepped out, I think.

So I guess you win. I was cheering for you most of the time anyways.

Wooh.
January 02, 2008 04:26PM
Now see there you go, a MAN doesn't resort to such condescending and arrogant declarations like you use, or call someone a munchkin or rules lawyer for a discussion outside of any game regarding what a power can or cannot do, particularly when you've been the one going 'read the rules over you illiterate' because in your mind only those who agree with you have to be right.

You haven't any defense for your insults or the conflict you've stirred up trying to hammer me into accepting your viewpoint on things. Then again I hadn't realized how important it was for your validation of your viewpoint to have me agree with you, didn't realize how much it hurt your self-worth to hold a different interpretation of the power in question. Sadly that's just not going to happen because I don't agree with your arguments and the name-calling isn't going to improve your position any, except perhaps with others who find flame wars amusing.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

January 02, 2008 04:30PM
Don't go encouraging him; Classic Marvel's managed quite well without this kind of flaming in the time I've been on it and the last thing we need is to degenerate into just another combat arena like all the other forums seem to end up. Also for the record there is no victor, at best it's a draw because neither side's going to concede at this point the other has any valid points and as it's all subjective you can't objectively name one side or the other the victor, except perhaps the one who stops playing the game.

-- Peter David

January 02, 2008 04:33PM
The point of arguing is moot anyways, given that neither of you play together, neither of you will change your own views, and neither of you has brought anything new to the argument for a whileanyways.

Who even takes this power, anyways?
January 02, 2008 04:38PM
While I do not have the Ultimate Powers Book in front of me, I'm pretty sure that the Power Listing for Micro-Environment does not say anything about food for the hero being included. If it does, could you quote it for me, as I can't check the book until I get home tomorrow.

TLD
January 02, 2008 05:04PM
I've had a few older characters take it, since it lets you provide protection from hazardous environments to others rather than just protecting yourself like Body Adaption-Self or Life Support do. At higher levels you can protect large crowds from things like chemical spills or radiation leaks.

-- Peter David

January 02, 2008 05:27PM
Yeah, but that takes away so much of the drama of the situation.
January 02, 2008 07:08PM
Different players have different kinds of drama that they're happy dealing with, some like to be able to rush in and save the crowd like that in one fell swoop, or provide cover while his allies work to contain the problem. It's not much different than Thor coming in and calling up a wind to carry the poison cloud into the upper atmosphere to dissapate harmlessly. No real threat but everyone still enjoys seeing him swoop in and save the day like that, ending it quickly so he can head off and better focus on the larger threats only he can deal with. Plenty of dramatic moments available that a Micro-Environment or just about any power one pointed to would be useless or of limited help and require pushing the limits of the PC and player to win through. Not too many GMs have players with powers like Reality Alteration, Matter/Energy Control, and/or Cosmic Awareness where they can reshape things to treat any and all threats as easy and that'd get boring anyway.

-- Peter David

January 02, 2008 08:50PM
I'm just saying, it's generally a better experience when all the players work actively to save some people rather than one person saying "Iexpand my Micro Enviroemnt over the victims."
January 02, 2008 09:27PM
That's where a GM includes things to make it not quite that easy, and as I think you noted it's not a commonly chosen power or one that comes up randomly very often. For what it does it has an understated degree of power that many miss when looking through the lists during character creation. They're more likely to go for a conventional Force Field or some kind of Body Resistance and some energy generation power. Much like you rarely see someone going for Spirit Storage or Undead Control or Zombie Animation. To each his own though, just about every power has someone who thinks it's the coolest or greatest power ever, no matter how little it might actually do or how limited the areas in which it's supreme.

-- Peter David

January 03, 2008 06:57AM
Even Water Breathing? 8-)

January 03, 2008 09:39AM
I'm sure you can find someone who loves to find an excuse for Water-Breathing for his characters as much as possible. Remember even the power description points out how humiliating it is being Mighty Man and drowning while Wimp Man gets by just fine because he has Water Breathing.

-- Peter David

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.