Micro-Environment

Posted by Lafarallin 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Micro-Environment
December 11, 2007 10:47PM
Greetings everyone I'm new to the forums! Now I hate to do it but I need some input right away on a power. That being the aforementioned in the subject title, "micro-environment."

Now the question stems from it stating "The Power can be used to Resist the effects of Air or Water Animation, Weather Control, Heat, or Cold Generation; the Intensity of the attack is reduced by the Power rank number."

Does this mean if someone shoots a cold blast at this character the force field created by the micro-environment would add resistance against it? For the same example if someone blasted the character with fire would the force field against grant resistance since this is heat damage?

The second part that I'm a bit confused by is, "Besides the Powers mentioned earlier, this Power will also provide limited protection against Electrical Control, Electrical Generation, Coldshaping, Gravity Manipulation, Hard Radiation and its Control, Thermal Control, Plague Carrier, Geoforce, Spray, and Pheromones, but only if the offending Power originates outside the Micro-Environment." If the person can shape the force field to a personal field how would those powers originate inside the field?

I guess a clear and concise explanation of what this power really is intended to do, can resist against, etc.. would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2007 10:49PM by Lafarallin.
Re: Micro-Environment
December 11, 2007 11:54PM
A micro-environment is a "closed universe" thermodynamic system, the conditions within the system are set by the player. Think of it as sort of a "reality bubble" - everything the character needs to survive (clean air, hydration, proper temperatures, gravity, etc.) are maintained within the "atmosphere" the character is generating for himself.

For an external force to alter the conditions within this "closed system / reality bubble" (change temperature to freezing for ice attacks, burn the oxygen with fire, a.k.a. attack the character generating the micro-environment from outside that environment) the attack must exceed the power level of the micro-environment power.

I'd require a Yellow Psyche FEAT roll to maintain the environment against outside influences of the same power level.
December 12, 2007 12:18AM
Put it this way. A character with high enough micro-environment power can walk on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean without getting wet, without feeling the crush pressure of being under so much water, and no worries of ever drowning.

At extreme levels, this character could go swimming on the Sun.
December 12, 2007 12:40AM
As I've interpreted the power it's basically a zone generated in a specific location or around a specific individual/being or beings that maintains comfortable living conditions for anyone within its boundaries. When activated it extends outward from the center of the location/target it's set for and reshapes the conditions within that area of effect to those desired, afterwards the force field it uses to keep out undesired effects like fire, rain, or lightning acts like most conventional force fields by providing power rank protection from attacks of that nature from outside its effect. So with the cold attack example Frosty fires an Amazing rank (46) cold attack against a Remarkable (30) Micro-Environment and Excellent (16) damage still manages to get through. It won't cause the field to fail but it will manage to inflict reduced damage on whatever was targeted inside the field.

About the only thing the force field doesn't stop is someone entering into it from outside, and once you're inside you can act with impunity because once the field was set up and maintained it does its filtering effect at the boundary and can't retroactively affect new problems within its boundaries.

As far at the example of simply restricting the field to a close-in body field well obviously it'd be almost impossible to have any of those affects take effect on the hero/villain unless they grapple since that would allow him to get part of his body past the barrier to inflict damage. However, for a hero it'd be very unheroic to protect only himself if it meant others would suffer or die.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
December 12, 2007 01:00AM
I think Lafarallin was looking for micro-environment's specific effects as a "personal force field" (non-extendable range).
December 12, 2007 01:23AM
I think I covered those as well. It still blocks the same range of items whether you cover a city block or just yourself after all. It's just not going to do anything to protect against slug-fest attacks and weapons since those aren't environmental conditions. Otherwise you run the risk of expanding the power outside its starting boundaries and it becomes total protection from any non-magical, non-psionic attacks and it's not meant to protect against anything not clearly an environmental condition.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

December 12, 2007 02:30AM
Agreed. But I'd say the power at its extremes (Class 3000) its as close to making yourself as detached from the physics and enviroment of reality outside the micro-environment (no one knows you like to hide from your mom in the center of the Sun) as you can be without losing the ability to interact with it. Bargain basement reality alteration (resistances only).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2007 02:33AM by The Beyonders.
December 12, 2007 11:34AM
Thank you both for your input. That is pretty much what I figured it did.

Seems like an amazing power. You get a safe environment no matter where you are, a platform to stand on if none is present, and you get a force field all in one power!
December 12, 2007 12:47PM
Just have to remember it doesn't provide the same broad generic protection as a regular force field like the Invisible Woman has that works against any kind of physical, energy, or psionic attack.

-- Peter David

December 12, 2007 10:22PM
That, and at higher levels, you can even counter-act the outside influences of gravity enough to "levitate."
December 13, 2007 01:15AM
Hmmm, I don't think so, that's not a natural environmental condition as humans aren't part of a natural weightless environment and the Micro-Environment power automatically tailors its conditions to the occupant or occupants, so if anything it'd guarantee a 1G gravity field for safe biological function.

-- Peter David

December 13, 2007 06:21AM
What happens when Micro-Enviroment Guy (Unearthly Micro-Environment power) has been safely protected from the attacks of Gravity Manipulator Dude (Unearthly Gravity Manipulation) all day long walks off the edge of a building?

Power stunt time or no?
December 14, 2007 12:58PM
The Beyonders Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What happens when Micro-Enviroment Guy (Unearthly
> Micro-Environment power) has been safely protected
> from the attacks of Gravity Manipulator Dude
> (Unearthly Gravity Manipulation) all day long
> walks off the edge of a building?
>
> Power stunt time or no?

Well the power does say, "If the hero requires a surface to stand on but none is available, the Power provides one by solidifying a section of the Force Field."

I would imagine if the aforementioned character walks off a building the force field would solidify letting him stand on it. I imagine the person could then walk in a straight line on the force field, but would be unable to gain or lose altitude unless they developed a power stunt. Basically by rapidly shutting off the micro-environment on and off as they run, they could maybe run up or down?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2007 12:59PM by Lafarallin.
December 14, 2007 01:21PM
He'd fall, since just like having a boulder dropped on him he's subject to a condition not a hazardous environment. While it might create a solid section trying to walk on mud or in space it's not going to protect you from walking off a ledge or hitting the ground below. It starts becoming a double-slot power like Aquarian's Null-Field by that point instead of the single-slot power it actually is.

-- Peter David

December 14, 2007 11:39PM
Hi all, I'm a new to this forum board and read through some of your discussion on this. Some of you have said that it protects against only clear environment hazards. So does Fire Generation fall under environment hazards? Does Micro-environment protect from that?
December 15, 2007 03:35AM
Welcome to the board, glad to have you here.

As far as the fire generation goes as long as it's from outside the field, not inside. You also shouldn't be able to use the field to 'sweep' an area clean of all environmental hazards, like go into the middle of a burning building and expand the field and wipe out the fires and poisonous smoke emissions. The force field really can't be considered that powerful although you could conceivably protect a community from an incoming cloud of chlorine from a train accident if you've sufficient volume coverage it wouldn't do anything to eliminate the ongoing pollution from vehicles and the rest inside the field.

-- Peter David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2007 03:37AM by Nightmask.
December 15, 2007 06:33AM
Okay, he falls.

Does he take damage when his micro-environment bubble hits the ground?
December 15, 2007 07:49AM
Of course, same reason that he fell, because it doesn't protect against situations. Just like if he tripped on some junk inside the field he'd break his leg as it wouldn't save him from the fall. It's just not that powerful. All it does is ensure that you don't suffocate, burn up, or die from poisonous gases by creating a bubble of life-sustaining conditions within its area of effect.

-- Peter David

December 15, 2007 08:31AM
Do you at least agree that a character with micro-environment can swim without getting wet?
December 15, 2007 09:12AM
Only if he's holding the field effectively skin/costume tight, otherwise no because you can't swim without interacting with water. Can't be generating a 100' bubble around yourself and still swim after all.

-- Peter David

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.