strenght levels Marvel vs. DC

Posted by kingpin100 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
strenght levels Marvel vs. DC
December 03, 2007 04:12AM
How would you rank the strenght levels of these characters.Are they just UN(100) or more, like UN(125) etc.

Superman
Wonder Woman
Martian Manhunter
WWIII Black Adam
Ultraman
Current Mary Marvel
Powergirl
Supergirl
Cyborg Superman with yellow lantern rings
Superboy Prime
The General
Doomsday
Darkseid
Ion(Sodam Yat)
The third earth Kyroptonian Katara or whatever her name is.
Captain Atom
Mr. Majestic

Apocaylapse
World War Hulk
Sentry
Current Thor
Gladiator
Silver Surfer
World Mind Nova
Juggernaut
Thanos
Colosuss
Hyperion
Re: strenght levels Marvel vs. DC
December 03, 2007 04:51AM
Most DC heavy-weights have to be scaled down to fit into Marvel, or can't honestly fit at all. Superboy-Prime alone is an homage to the Silver Age Superman and has virtually infinite Strength. He could move planets on the scale of the earth with relative ease. Even as they are now they're still operating more in the Shift range for Strength and Endurance. Any write-ups you see for them in Marvel would be scaled to fit, comparing them to what is a heavy-hitter in Marvel, hence why Superman's listed as Unearthly Strength in marvel terms.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
December 03, 2007 08:59AM
Yeah, Nightmask is right. The DCU strong types can lift well into the Shift Ranges, even post crisis.

December 03, 2007 12:24PM
Power Girl can do that Hulk shockwave clap with her eyelids.
December 03, 2007 01:17PM
Those weren't her eyelids bouncing....

Back on target, I'm a strict numbers guy and beleve that Ty's site has a good conversion of DC - Marvel. I'f you cant find one you like i can see about throwing up my notes.

"No where to hide. No place to run. Your village will BURN like the heart of the SUN!" - Richard, Head warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the 13 Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Lord of the Dance.
December 03, 2007 02:28PM
I tried doing a strict "Mayfair Exponential" to "Marvel FASERIP" conversion when DC Heroes came out, and TOO MANY DC minor leaguers ended up with Unearthly strength.

Superman could lift something like 8 million tons without strain (imagine how strong his farts are.)

DC Charecters have to be depowered a bit, needless to say.
Re: DC Heroes to MSH
December 03, 2007 03:05PM
For converting DC Heroes stats to MSH, a quick guideline I use for gauging the maximum equivalent rank is to multiply the AP rating for the DC stat or power by 5 to get a rough MSH guideline. This works for most AP ratings up thru 25, tho it sometimes requires modifications (especially since 2AP rating for stats is the "Typical" human norm in DC Heroes)

Thus, Superman's 25AP Strength x5 would be 125 in MSH, placing him in the Unearthly category. (for simplicity sake, I use standard rank numbers, so Supes would thus get Un100 Strength in Marvel)

Some people feel this horribly underrates Supes, but it seems to keep him on similar footing with MSH powerhouses like Hulk, Thor, Hercules...

Quack, damn you...
December 03, 2007 03:10PM
Well DC powerlevels work when you're contained in the DCU, as everything is relative at that point. It's when you try and get them to make sense in the Marvel U that the DC icons become rediculous in their power levels.

December 03, 2007 04:56PM
The Beyonders Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I tried doing a strict "Mayfair Exponential" to
> "Marvel FASERIP" conversion when DC Heroes came
> out, and TOO MANY DC minor leaguers ended up with
> Unearthly strength.
>
> Superman could lift something like 8 million tons
> without strain (imagine how strong his farts
> are.)
>
> DC Charecters have to be depowered a bit, needless
> to say.

DC Heroes first edition is way higher in ap levels then those that followed. The first Superman dc stats had a 50 strength, now it's 25 I believe.
December 03, 2007 06:40PM
That was one of the problems I had with DC heroes when it comes to characters on the lower end, that exponential increasing of stats to be able to cover the entire range of possible characters in DC meant almost all normal people had the same stats, and even the exceptional ones were barely able to look that exceptional in comparison. With Marvel you can really see and feel the difference between Captain America and say a standard soldier, whereas Batman for the most part was few points in difference between him and any normal human.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

December 04, 2007 01:49AM
My own versions of Superman gave him Shift Z strength.

Hulk could match him if angry enough.
December 04, 2007 01:52AM
<i>DC Heroes first edition is way higher in ap levels then those that followed. The first Superman dc stats had a 50 strength, now it's 25 I believe.</i>

LOL!!! I remember finding a 1st Edition Batman sourcebook to go with my 2nd and 3rd Edition DC Heroes rulebooks and thinking "WTF? There's no way the Joker can bench 8 tons."
December 04, 2007 02:15AM
My problem was the same "DEX in DC game is the same as Fighting and Agility in Marvel game." My problem with this is that for example Superman in field of kryptonite radiation drops all of his stats to 2 (Typical equivalent).

Superman forgets how to fight? Superman's intelligence drops?

Grrr.

I loved the range increment and speed / time calculations from the original DC game (and use them in Marvel games in case you need to know how long you have at your highest flight speed to try to save your friend thrown skyward by Black Adam before he reaches low earth orbit, etc.) but that's about it.
December 04, 2007 03:38AM
More like the crippling pain and loss of his powers lowered his fighting and agility down to 2, rather than him simply forgetting how to fight. Same goes for dropping his super-intelligence, the pain and fact that part of his intelligence is augmented by the solar energy he stores means when that reserve is interfered with so is his intelligence, especially Pre-Crisis.

-- Peter David

December 04, 2007 09:55AM
I thought he only had Super Intelligence back in the 70s version.

December 04, 2007 11:59AM
His Intelligence has been undergoing creep back up towards the genius range as they have him becoming more intimate with Kryptonian technology. Post-Crisis he was lucky to know much beyond basic mechanics and electronics (yet apparently it was sufficient to repair the life support systems of an alien spacecraft during his period of self-exile in space when he got caught by Warworld), but is getting far more intelligent, although nowhere close to the Super-brain he had Pre-Crisis (at least Amazing if not Monstrous). Pre-Crisis he had a perfect memory and a computer mind as long as he was under the influence of a yellow sun.

Oh, and ironically enough he was also the DC version of Dr. Doom, with so many robot duplicates people didn't know whether or not it was the real Superman or one of his duplicates that saved the day. It was so bad they made up an implausible excuse for him to retire them (I mean really, breaking down because of pollution? What, these things could fly into space or the depths of the oceans without damage but he couldn't keep a little NO2 out?) and restore suspense.

-- Peter David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2007 12:02PM by Nightmask.
December 04, 2007 12:10PM
That's true. The Joker can't lift that much but...
he was shown in some comics with around Excellent ranked strength- when in a kind of "berserker mode"
He has quite a punch and some level of durability ( endurance? )

This all depends of course which and when the comics one has read.
December 04, 2007 04:26PM
you dont need to go with weight benchmarks it actually easier than that. go with ranks and APs.

1 = Feeble

2 = Poor

3 = Typical

4 = Good

5 = Excellent

6-8 = Remarkable

9-13 = Incredible

14 - 18 = Amazing

19-23 = Monstrous

24-26 = Unearthly

27 = shift X

28 = Shift Y

29 = Shift Z

30-39 = CL 1000

40-49 = Cl 3000

50-59 = Cl 5000

anything above that ignore.

there's actually a formula for Reason, Intuition and Psyche.

Reason = Int + Aura + Mind /3

Intuition = Initiative /3

Psyche = Influence + Will + Spirit /3

short fast and dirty. there are a few more thing but they are subjective, you get the idea.

Now everyone knows why my DC builds are so low powered.

"No where to hide. No place to run. Your village will BURN like the heart of the SUN!" - Richard, Head warlock of the Brotherhood of Darkness, Lord of the 13 Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, Lord of the Dance.
December 05, 2007 12:23PM
Now the Suprematrons make more sense.

December 05, 2007 07:12PM
From the totally re-written version of Supreme you mean? Yes those robots he had were based off the army of Superman robots Superman had; like the one that became self-aware, renamed itself Talos, and 'married' the former love of his life after she'd died thanks to a scheme of Dariux Dax and her mind was transferred into a super-android. About the only difference between him and Superman is that the Supreme knock-off of him effectively knows he lives in a comic book after discovering the Supremacy and all the previous versions of himself that had been wiped from continuity (although interestingly you never see an example of the original 'real' Supreme). Admittedly it would be interesting to see how Superman would respond to encountering past and alternative versions of himself, like the original Superman Red and Superman Blue, or the original Lex Luthor who wasn't so much evil as drivent to prove his genius and felt slighted all his life by Superman (similar to how Dr. Doom and the Wizard react towards Reed Richards).

-- Peter David

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.