Absorbingman

Posted by Joe 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Joe
Absorbingman
November 24, 2007 09:36AM
I have seen Absorbingman copy Cap's shield or Thor's hammer many times, then go toe to toe with them. His profile says there is a limit of Un on his power. My question is shouldn't there be a limit of Class 1000/Class 3000 on his taking the material strength for Body Armor and such? Other wise, Cap and Thor should still be able to smack the snot out of Creed. Am I missing understanding something here or what?
Re: Absorbingman
November 24, 2007 11:02AM
I believe in those cases where he absorbs the material of something like the shield or hammer then his body armor become UN as that is his limit. He isn't very often going to get the snot smacked out of him with UN body armor.
November 24, 2007 11:06AM
Yep, keep in mind that just because Cap's Shield and Thor's hammer are Class 3000 Material Strength, doesn't mean that they deal Class 3000 damage. Theoretically, he should end up with around Shift X or Shift Y body armor, though.

November 24, 2007 06:29PM
Why should his body armor be Sh-X or Sh-Y?
Joe
November 24, 2007 07:02PM
That still should not be enough to stop the Class 3000 hammer of Thor.
November 24, 2007 07:37PM
Thor's Hammer does not do CL. 3000 damage.
Joe
November 24, 2007 08:31PM
I did not say it did, but Class 3000 material would cut right through Un Body Armor.
November 24, 2007 08:44PM
Not really, something of a blunt weapon like Mjolnir would potentially dent it but it wouldn't cut the item unless it was narrow enough a hard enough strike separated it into two or more pieces. For someone like Creel being turned into an Unearthly Material Strength item he'd be able to remain intact from a hit from Mjolnir, which 'only' does Shift X damage without previous preparation. Sure he'd take Amazing damage in the process but he'd be able to soak that up thanks to the temporary boost in Strength and Endurance he'd get.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
November 25, 2007 03:31AM
In the case of Cap's shield, at least, Absorbingman is likely only absorbing the properties of the adamantium in it.

I would think that the vibranium component (being itself an dampener of inertial vibration / frequency based energies) would render Absorbingman as solid as Cap's shield (i.e. a statue unable to move on its own) if he absorbed full on Class 3000 material strength.

That's my Marvel Super Heroes Game Judge science argument. ;)
Joe
November 25, 2007 07:03AM
Class 3000 material should ignore Un Body Armor and he would take full damage.
November 25, 2007 09:53AM
I don't think that works with blunt damage... just edged.

November 25, 2007 02:24PM
Material strength has nothing to do with whether or not something ignores some or all of body armor. If that were so Cap would have easily beaten down the Hulk whenever they met since he's the one carrying a CL3000 item going up against someone with Monstrous Body Armor. Material Strength is really more concerned with something's ability to survive an attack without being damaged or with reduced damage compared to weaker materials. Without other factors taken into account, like the strength of someone wielding the item, shape/design of the item, etc. just being indestructable isn't going to let someone use an item to ignore things like body armor.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

November 25, 2007 02:51PM
In other words, Cap's shield can bounce off of brick walls rather than getting stuck in them, because it has no sharpened edge, and Cap's strength isn't high enough to throw it through a brick wall. (Cap's skill with the shield gives him trick shots with it)

Give Thor the shield to toss around, however....

Drop the shield from low earth orbit so that it reaches 6 kilometers per second (a kinetic bombardment kill vehicle) and you could do equivalent damage of a small nuke without the nasty radioactive fallout.

But, then you could dig the shield out of the impact crater and take it back into orbit for more fun...
November 25, 2007 03:07PM
The shield does occasionally get stuck in a wall since it does have an edge, even if it's not specifically a cutting edge (much like the difference between a butter knife and a steak knife), but yes you'd need someone like Thor wielding it to really make full use of its potential damage-inflicting capabilities (not that Thor would need it for that since he's already doing Shift-X damage with his hammer he doesn't need Shift-X damage throwing the shield, much better to keep it for defense).

I'm not sure if you could get the shield to fall faster than any other object would (Terminal Velocity), but Cap's been shown falling at that speed and used the shield to land on the ground unharmed. Hmmmm, now I'm reminded of an Avengers issue where Cap's shield had ended up in some plasma entity they were fighting alongside some aliens I think and after they forced the entity to self-destruct and Cap commented about going back for his shield the clueless alien goes on about was he mad to think some 'mere' shield would survive, only to taper off in his commentary as they find the shield unharmed at the center of the blast (although the STRAPS and paint-job were still inplausibly intact).

-- Peter David

November 25, 2007 03:49PM
Check out <a href="[en.wikipedia.org] article</a>.

Orbital velocity is much, much faster than terminal velocity.

My idea above would turn Cap's shield into basically a meteor strike upon the Earth. Kilotons of damage, without scratching the paint!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.