What is the best human stat?

Posted by Taarna 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: What is the best human stat?
November 13, 2007 03:01PM
I think the point here is that the Ancient One does not qualify as a 'normal human'.

November 25, 2007 03:47AM
Don't go giving out Amazing stats willy nilly.

Keep in mind the column shifts of specialization through Talents. Attributes should measure raw ability only.

A Typical fighter with training in Boxing will slugfest like a Good fighter (when punching)
December 04, 2007 04:41AM
Darn. No one picked an ability as the highest potential for humans here except for me.

One more chance...

Which human Ability do you think is the highest number? In other words it is the best " amazing ".

Fighting?

Reason?

Intitution?

Psyche?

I would rule Intuition out. Humans don't see, taste, hear, smell, or fell all that well. We have no radar sense, or sonar sense. We rely on machines to tell us things. Perhaps some have a 6th sense, but Amazing ranks for humans on Intuition seems like a gift ranks. If I were the author, it would be no higher than Incredible, or say the number 45.

So what rank is the highest for normal humans? Here's one vote for reason. Splitting the atom, developing a nuclear explosion, putting men on the moon, and using genetic enhancements points to reason being the highest max for Humans.

What is your pick?
December 05, 2007 04:35AM
I'm one of those kinds of game judges that is impressed with players who develop their characters' Talents rather that boost up raw ability scores for the Health points. *"Why do you call your character 'Ninja Master' if his stats scream 'Ninja Masochist?'"* ['Ninja Master' is a running gag going back to my first Marvel gaming group back in the mid-80s, when "Ninjas were cool"]

Fighting is a measure of raw combat ability, to hit with fists or melee weapons, as well as the ability to evade being hit by a fist or melee weapon. I'd go with Excellent (Remarkable for pioneers of new martial art styles) here as the "top human" stat, allowing positive column shift adjustments from martial arts / melee combat-related Talents to pull off the Incredible or Amazing FEATs.

Agility is a measure of physical nimbleness and hand - eye coordination, from drawing to dancing to dodging missile attacks to firing them. I'd say the max human here is Excellent (with positive column shifts from various synergetic Talents creating up to Incredible results)

Strength - don't bother entering a World's strongest man competition with less than Excellent strength. There will be no one with Remarkable (can lift 1 ton all day long) strength there. The winner of these events invariably will have rolled a lot of Red FEAT results pushing their strength over 800 lbs weight (like the 1,100 - to 1,500 lb deadlift competition)

Endurance is a measure of physical stamina and fitness. I'd say Excellent is the max here (with the 4 minute mile runner making a fatigue check halfway there), and of course the Athletics Talent comes in handy for this check.

There ya have it. The "peak" human has 80 Health points.

Reason is a measure of raw intelligence, critical thinking / logical problem solving skills, spatial reasoning, and ingenuity. I'd say Einstein had Remarkable Reason, his Talents in Sciences like relativity, mathematics, and physics allowed him to "Red" -line at Amazing concepts.

Intuition is a measure of how well a character prioritizes sensory information from his immediate surroundings as well as the ability to recall details from that sensory information accurately at a later date *"If you want to remember where the Mind Gem landed when the Hulk slapped it off of your forehead a month ago, 'Ninja Master,' I suggest you roll a RED Intuition FEAT at -3 column shifts. If you recall, when the Hulk was slapping you, you were kinda busy getting slapped, and after that, you got the sudden impression that you had just gotten slapped..."* Simply put, it's a measure of alertness and long term memory. So where is the human max here? Excellent, with Remarkable to Incredible results coming from synergetic positive column shifts from Talents like Detective or Tracking. Certain Martial Art Talents might even grant bonuses to Intuition FEATS.

Psyche is the measure of willpower, determination, and self-control in stressful, terrifying, or sanity-threatening situations, as well as assertiveness / persuasiveness in social interactions and is probably the hardest to quantify in "real life terms." I'd say someone who can experience the rigors of urban combat without folding under the strain or requiring years of therapy later (urban combat in war probably the ultimate in stressful, terrifying, and sanity-threatening of situations) makes for one Remarkable psyche. Which is the minimum for Marvel game magic use, I believe.

So, the "peak" human's Karma is also 80 points.

That's the "best" of the best. around 3 times more Health and Karma than your Typical joe.

Remind me to share 'Ninja Master's' stats with you sometime. They were horrible. Perhaps the most ill concieved attempt at munchkinery ever done in a Marvel game.
December 18, 2007 11:17PM
I agree with Incognito- that Psyche has the capacity for being the best possible human stat. There are few things more powerful than the human spirit.

Perserverance through adversity, success after setback and setback, or even bothering to continue under unfathomable odds- wow. Splitting the atom and cloned sheep are pretty neat tricks, but I'm a heckuva lot more impressed by a lone student staring down a line of tanks.

And I don't think I'd cap Psyche at Amazing in the game either. I'm solidly in the `Dr. Strange is trained with arcane knowledge, but he's still human' camp.

In addition, Adolph Hitler in the `All This and World War Two' module was rated with a Monstrous Psyche, which takes place in the time before he became the Hate-Monger (where he was subsequently lowered to Incredible.) But in that module, he's human- no super powers or abilities, and with special training, arcane or otherwise.
December 19, 2007 02:40AM
Yeah, but he had the Spear of Destiny then...

;)

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
December 19, 2007 07:02AM
The Beyonders Wrote:
> Yeah, but he had the Spear of Destiny then... ;)

At the time he had left it in his other continuity.
December 19, 2007 09:00AM
The Spear of Destiny is only from the DC continuity, I don't think it's ever been shown in the Marvel universe, perhaps to avoid accusations of copyright infringement from DC.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
December 19, 2007 09:02AM
I think Hitler should retain that Monstrous Psyche as Hatemonger, since he's actually got even more reason to be using his mind and building up his mental defenses after being reduced to a disembodied mind stored in a 'brain in a jar' when not possessing clones of his original body.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.