Stat Aging+injuries

Posted by G.A.W. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Stat Aging+injuries
October 21, 2007 02:41AM
We have seen some established Marvel characters in the TSR supplements improve there powers and abilities stats- sometimes because we've seen ( or assumed ) it in the comics over the years.

And Dominic Fortune was given stats that were in his prime and that of modern continuity as he got older.

Anyone in the Marvel U. continuity you feel is slowing down and is sliding from there prime?

Some of the Punisher MAX books still clinging to the Vietnam War time frame had thinking ( or showing ) how he was not in his prime anymore.

Of course since the FF modern MU begining ( real time 1961 ) only about 9 to 11 years have gone by so most heroes would still be in there prime. but still....

Most heroes have great recovery abilities but has anyone considered ( or even for fun ) adding up and making a list of wounds your favorite hero has suffered over his career? ( if you had a good run of his/her books )

should they take there toll on a hero?

I'm not trying to take a side or point but just a general discussion on the subject.
Re: Stat Aging+injuries
October 21, 2007 10:11AM
I do that in other games, but not Marvel. Especially in Werewolf the Apocalypse where scars and such are very important to keep track of.

October 21, 2007 11:30AM
Yes. good ol' scars.

We used to keep track of Natural "20" Hits on our AD&D characters.

more rare but natural 100 or "00" rolled in th Marvel rpg should warrant a scar.- just for fun.
October 21, 2007 03:34PM
Hmmmm, well those that have suffered injuries they tend to find some super-way to eliminate them (heck look at Spider-Man, his death and rebirth left him pristine, as if he'd never had a cut a day in his life). They also used the Heroes Reborn plotline to rejuvenate every character requiring it, similar to how the Skrull aging attack on the three adult members of the FF was used to rejuvenate Mr. Fantastic, The Thing, and the Invisible Girl when it was reverved. I think though that any hero involved with Heroes Reborn was cleaned up and hasn't any age-related or injury-related marks, and some, like Thor, have undergone later rebirths to rejuvenate them once again.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
October 21, 2007 04:22PM
Punisher's age isn't just static in Marvel MAX but in the mainstream Marvel U as well. Any way you slice it, Castle fought in the 'Nam.

But I do think /some/ characters have moved out of their prime, but one should consider, according to Marvel's sliding timeline [only few chars have static refference points like Castle and Nam, or Bucky and WWII] the FF crash only happened 13 years ago. So many heroes are still very much in the prime of their lives.

October 21, 2007 04:35PM
Don't forget Nick Fury, thanks to his use of the Infinity Formula unlike Captain America or the Android Human Torch he's actually lived through all the time from WWII to the present. Since he's got a varient of the Super-Soldier formula that retards his aging process and keeps him physically fit both he and Cap apparently naturally generate both serums in their blood and does make one wonder if Cap's also possessed of an as yet unseen retarded or halted aging process.

As far as the FF go though, since the Skrull aging attack was at least in part meant to take the more 'elderly' members of the team and make them younger and more vital wouldn't that set their start-point back farther than most other heroes short of ones like Cap and Nick?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread
October 21, 2007 04:48PM
Where do you get 13 years from the FF crash?

if one were to divide real time by a factor of four- 1961 to 2007 -46years/4 =12.5 years. thats pretty close to your number. is that how you got it Capo, or was it mentioned in a marvel comic?

very interested in this.
October 21, 2007 06:46PM
G.A.W. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where do you get 13 years from the FF crash?
>
> if one were to divide real time by a factor of
> four- 1961 to 2007 -46years/4 =12.5 years. thats
> pretty close to your number. is that how you got
> it Capo, or was it mentioned in a marvel comic?
>
> very interested in this.

I think that's Marvel "official" timeline from the bullpen.

October 21, 2007 08:13PM
Did they mention it somewhere specificaly? What letters page or magazine? need to know.
October 21, 2007 08:19PM
Capo knows for sure... I'm not sure myself.

October 21, 2007 10:38PM
They've said it on Newsarama a bunch of times.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.