Dragonball Z revisted: Enter Goku

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Dragonball Z revisted: Enter Goku
June 19, 2007 07:45PM
Ninja Scroll is my fav and hearing it in the original language, even though I can't speak it. Guyver was okay, but Ninja Scroll kicks serious evil butt.
June 19, 2007 07:47PM
Oh yeah, I did see Ninja Scroll.

June 19, 2007 08:04PM
Well check out Yu Yu Hakusho, it's incredible, especially as it goes along and the serious factor ramps up. DBZ without all the padded fight scenes and more character complexity, and like many anime along the theme of DBZ the main character really just enjoys a good fight and various opponents who battle him end up seeing the error of their ways to join his side, much like Vegeta did thanks to Goku.
June 19, 2007 09:26PM
Vegeta was so freaking cool. I can't say why, but he's undoubtedly my favorite DBZ character.

June 19, 2007 10:34PM
There's a fan-created tribute to Vegeta set to some song and using clips from various episodes of the DBZ and GT series, by Linden Park or something like that I think. Great anime music video. I think I favor him more as he doesn't start off a hero, he has to suffer and grow and mature until he becomes a great hero by defeating the darkness within him.
June 20, 2007 12:42AM
I think I've seen that video. *nodnod*

June 20, 2007 01:09AM
Vegeta was a great character because he had weakness. That weakness was his pride and while his pride is what drove his success, it was also the catalyst of his defeats as well. How many times has he said, "Now you'll see the full power of a Sayian prince" only to get knocked out by the first punch? Undefeatable heros like Goku and Superman get boring fast. Speaking of those two here is a quick list of simularities of Goku and Clark.

Aliens on Earth, home planet is destroyed, came to earth as a baby, "super", Birthnames both begin with K, didn't know their birthnames for many years and still go by Earth name, Boyscout characters, have a dark friend, married an earth woman, have died and come back, Goku wears blue and orange, superman wears blue, red and yellow (red+yellow=orange)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2007 01:14AM by griff.
June 20, 2007 01:32AM
Oh Vegeta's popped up and made that demand and slapped someone down handily too (Android 20 for one), but yes he'd often come in quite pompously and get slapped down quickly by others (like Androids 17 and 18). For all his tactical genius he's also been quick to underestimate his opponents, like letting Cell trick him into allowing him to reach his perfect form.

His flaws and seeing him learn is what makes him a more interesting character. Notice that the fusion forms with Goku the ones where he is dominant are the most successful, whereas if Goku is more dominant they tend to screw things up, like in the very last battle with the evil dragon.

Admittedly during his first achievment of Super-saiyan, especially (and ironically) with the english audio track, you get some serious epic music and dramatic moments. You can feel his rage and pain and feelings of hopelessness and loss. Before that with everything that happens he doesn't quite seem to feel that pain (perhaps because he before then and afterwards blew off any suffering with the 'we can always wish them back with the dragonballs', which is another callous bit of behavior you often saw out of Superman, at least during the silver age).
June 20, 2007 01:50AM
Superman was a jerk in the 60s and 70s. If you haven't seen Superdickery.com you should.
June 20, 2007 08:49AM
I love that site.

November 12, 2007 10:46PM
very nice write-up i must say! i would like to know why you chose his each stat, just out of curiousity.
well let me add my 2 cents, just a minor gripe, i like everything youve done, but having gokus speed only being reflected in his hyper-speed seems a little un-neccessary. correct me if im wrong but dont characters with super fast reflexes just have that ability reflected in there agility and fighting ranks (ex.power princess, hyperion, gladiator, silver surfer)
its not a big deal i guess. id say sumthin about his strength but what you have is close enough, i dont want to get into a debate cuz goku/superman debates get NASTY.
very good post though

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.