Surfer vs Thor

Posted by The_Threat 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Surfer vs Thor
May 18, 2006 08:47PM
I'd say that Weather Control can, between obscuring fog, torrential rains, blinding lightning and deafening thunder, not to mention flying debris, reduce line of sight to a relatively short and meaningless distance.

------------------------------------------------
Powersurge (history, pics) [www.classicmarvel.com]

Morningstar (campaign journal) [www.classicmarvel.com]

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

T'Challa, The New Avengers: Illuminati 1
lu
May 18, 2006 09:17PM
yes that is true...but SS detects most if not all manner of energy..so actual "sight" is not needed...and Thors big ol hammer is pulsing with...ENERGY
May 18, 2006 09:42PM
Not a bad point. However, it could be argued that Thor's hammer is "pulsing" with magical energy.

Alternately, it could be argued that the energies eminating from Thor's hammer so increase, or could be used to so increase, the ambient levels of E-M energy in the general surroundings so as to make pinpointing the source virtually impossible.

It is afterall, quite possible to have too much of an otherwise good thing.

As has been stated, and reiteriated in this thread... any reasonable estimation would have this fight scored so close that it could go either way on any given occassion. Surfer for instance would have a definitely advantage in deep space and/or at a distance, whereas Thor is dominant in a planetary atmosphere and e-m field, and up close. Both are fairly evenly matched all-in-all.

Some of my fondest comicbook memries, stemming from these magizned sized comics that came out in the 70's were Surfer fighthing the entire FF, or going toe-to-toe with the Hulk... and fairing well.

Speaking as a Thor fan+, the Surfer is obviously a powerhouse, very capable of performing at the same level as Thor... and with a moral character every bit as heroic and impeccable as the Almighty's to boot!

"You just decided *all by yourselves* that you are the Earth's protectors. And that you, and *only* you, not your teammates or family, are trustworthy enough to include in the process..."

LU
May 18, 2006 09:51PM
filtration of the E M field...Diff. wave lenghts...diff. color..magical or not heat is heat..light is light.
Epyon
May 19, 2006 09:09AM
Yeah, well, the Surfer, in his own book, has admitted that Thor (with his hammer) is more powerful than him. And so it goes. I think you can say they are peers.

Surfer also lacks the tactical skill and determination of Thor. He's really not a fighter, at heart. Iron Man twice stalemated him (they knocked each other out) in his classic red and gold, and until his recent power upgrades, could anyone argue that Iron Man was as powerful as the Surfer?
May 19, 2006 06:47PM
Yes, I could. As originally portrayed by Kirby, the Surfer was extremely powerful. (..and was originally intended to be a being created from the Power Cosmic by Galactus.) He was "powered down" later to fit in with the trapped on Earth motiff and powered up in his 1987 ongoing. In fact, Galactus and the Surfer were very poorly handeled in general until Byrne came on FF and restored their dignity. Englehart and Starlin did great things with the Silver Surfer series from 1987-90 as well.

What gives Thor the edge is his enormous advantage in fighting ability and his ability to redirect energy with Mjolnir. He's used that particular trick on beings far more powerful than even the Surfer.

I do think that it makes sense that the Surfer is more powerful now, and as a herald, than during his stay on Earth. And it wa SS #2 (not #3, my error) that he said this: "Once I might have felled you with a shrug! But, though I am less than before...still am I the Silver Sufer!"
May 19, 2006 06:51PM
> I lik eboth of them too. YOu cannot ignore that
> galactus ran from a fight with thor. A hungry
> galactus would never run from a fight with the
> surfer now would he? lol

A fed Galactus would not run from anyone. It's very lucky for all those heroes that they never encounter him in that state. ;)
Epyon
May 20, 2006 10:26AM
Robert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, I could. As originally portrayed by Kirby,
> the Surfer was extremely powerful. (..and was
> originally intended to be a being created from the
> Power Cosmic by Galactus.) He was "powered down"
> later to fit in with the trapped on Earth motiff
> and powered up in his 1987 ongoing. In fact,
> Galactus and the Surfer were very poorly handeled
> in general until Byrne came on FF and restored
> their dignity. Englehart and Starlin did great
> things with the Silver Surfer series from 1987-90
> as well.
>
> What gives Thor the edge is his enormous advantage
> in fighting ability and his ability to redirect
> energy with Mjolnir. He's used that particular
> trick on beings far more powerful than even the
> Surfer.
>
> I do think that it makes sense that the Surfer is
> more powerful now, and as a herald, than during
> his stay on Earth. And it wa SS #2 (not #3, my
> error) that he said this: "Once I might have
> felled you with a shrug! But, though I am less
> than before...still am I the Silver Sufer!"

Interesting. I don't understand why the Surfer's power would be less because he's trapped on Earth, but since I've only read a handful of his comic book issues, I will take your word for it. Still, Thor has won or drawn even with Surfer every time they've fought. So it's really not fair to say he is more powerful than the Asgardian.

By the way, who was he saying that to in Surfer #2/#3?
May 20, 2006 10:37AM
Heat might indeed be heat, and light might be light, but I have lotsa Thor comicbooks and his hammer doesn't regularly pulsate with either light or heat.

And filtration of the E-M spectrum isn't going to help much with an E-M storm raging at Unearthly levels over a 1 sq mile radius.

In any event Mjolnir is more than equal to any blast the Surfer could hurl, so Thor could just block and stalmate the Surfer in a ranged confrontation.

May 25, 2006 02:18PM
Thats a tough match up
June 13, 2006 06:51AM
every one i know would say that the surfer would take thor out because of power cosmic
Epyon
June 13, 2006 01:21PM
Power Cosmic vs. Odinforce... who knows?

I do know Thor has beaten Surfer several times. I don't recall Surfer beating Thor. Also, the power cosmic is kinda overrated, IMHO. Several non-cosmic beings (such as the Hulk and Iron Man) have beaten heralds before.
CrawlerFan99
June 13, 2006 11:25PM
I could be wrong, but I believe that only the Surfer (and Galactus, of course) wield the "Power Cosmic." The other heralds were noticeably weaker than Surfer (Galactus probably would not want to make the same mistake twice) because they simply were made with a certain theme (control of earth, air, fire, etc.). This makes the Surfer unique, even a cut above all other heralds.
June 14, 2006 09:51AM
No many of the heralds weild the power cosmic. Even firelord and nova the flame user's are using a form of the power cosmic. What does appear to be true is the surfer seems to be the only one withought limits on what he can do.
June 20, 2006 05:31PM
Surfer was made with a theme..Water. It's not as direct as Nova or Firelord but that's where his power comes from.

This makes a lot of sense to explain the Surfer. Water is just the most malleable which explains the Surfer's ability to do almost anything. Also explains why he's the strongest, water punched out the grand canyon ya know.

Be like the nature of water my friend.
July 09, 2006 01:14AM
Nobody has responded to this in a few weeks but that was a good point Threat, he is riding a serf board. I have had many gladitorial fights with my younger brother. Each time we always go for the big guns until each has 5 or 6 on their team. Then we simply fight. Nothing fancy like dodging in buildings or throwing someone in space but just a brawl. Most times it comes down to the Hulk vs. Thor and of course who rolls the worst. Surfer is definitely up their. But when it comes down to it you have to physically go hand to hand and you can't do that, unless your the hulk, with Thor and win. Surfer is not that far from Thor in combat. He has Am fighting and i would let him use his Mn agility instead for fighting. And he can boost his armor to Un. So as to reduce a hit from Thors hammer to about the same Thor would get from his fist.

Ie. SS has Mn to hit, giving him 3 attacks in core rules or 6 in (my house rules) w/ Un dam. Vs Thors B/A of In vs Physical or Ex vs. energy (house rules, all characters have B/A at -3CS to Endurance or strength) that puts serfer at 60pts a blow on Thor. Thor on the other hand has ShY fighting which gives him 3 core attacks or 7 attacks in house rules which stops at Un for # but still uses the better column of ShY. Unless you have super speed to deliver more blows thats where i stop it. Thors hammer does ShX dam. and surfers amped B/A of Un lets Thor give surfer 50 pts per hit which ive never had the battle go beyond his 10rd limit.
So Thor has 1 more attack per rd but does 10 pts less than SS. And SS has a little more health. It's anyones game at that point. If off the main rules they each have a 3 attack max and Thors B/A is only Ex. Not very good for Thor. Hence Hulk taking everyone out after 2 rds of ShX or ShY damaging. Personally, Hulk wins. And personally i think Hulk was designed to be the most powerful of all normal characters. Thor,Herc and SS all being close seconds. I think we would all have to agree on these guys stats before we wager on the outcome and i don't think we could get a consences on that.
July 13, 2006 12:17PM
Epyon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Several
> non-cosmic beings (such as the Hulk and Iron Man)
> have beaten heralds before.

And Spiderman. Let's not forget webhead, eh?X(

Skarlett da Chucklin' Spyder

________________________________________________________________________________
"All who wander are not lost." J.R.R. Tolkein

"History and experience have taught us that the oldest among our kind invariably prove the most formidable." Sage, X-Treme X-Men #43

"You leap like a hyena in heat!!" Conan to Wolverine, What If...? #16

"Useless, all useless...I was once a MAN!!" Cobra Commander, G.I. Joe the Movie

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.