Mystique and Endurance

Posted by Ajax 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Ajax
Mystique and Endurance
March 07, 2006 11:15AM
Why does Mystique have such a high endurance? Amazing-50 seems high. I mean Spiderman could punch her with a yellow hit and do 40 points of damage and she can't be slammed by him ( or anyone else with 10 tons of punching power )

Granted, most of my experience with Mystique is with old X-men and the X-factor issues so if anyone can illuminate me on this, cool.
Re: Mystique and Endurance
March 07, 2006 11:26AM
You have a point - it does seem disproportionate. Maybe not so much as Storm or Magneto, because Mystique can and does make herself tougher - but she really shouldn't be that tough.

Especially when Rogue officially only has Good Endurance.

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
March 07, 2006 02:35PM
Yes she could be slammed by Spidey. If he rolls a Yellow or Red to hit she must check her Endurance for a slam or stun.
March 07, 2006 09:22PM
Just don't let her charge into your PC's heroes. OUCH!!
Ajax
March 07, 2006 09:53PM
I thought someone's strength had to match or be better then the endurance to be slammed. Otherwise a feeble-2 strength could also slam Mystique with a yellow?

Still her endurance is equal to collossus in his early official write ups. Is she that endured?
March 08, 2006 03:40PM
Unless the attacker has Martial Arts A, the lower Strength cannot slam nor stun a defender with the higher Endurance.
Captain America could slam her, but not Spidey.

doc xaos
March 08, 2006 06:59PM
spidey could pick her up in a web line, then bop her one. Or charge in,grapple gain leverage then toss her into something.
Ajax
March 08, 2006 10:48PM
Well, someone tell tystates spidey can not slam Mystique then. ( of course spidey does not have martial arts A to my knowledge )

But the point is Mystique should not have such a high endurance and in the game ( and the comics ) Spiderman should be able to slam her with a yellow hit.
March 09, 2006 05:11AM
Correct.
March 09, 2006 05:15AM
I haven't got my copy of Children of the Atom or Mutant Update handy. Has she always been written up with that high an Endurance, or, is it only her writeup in Profiles?
March 09, 2006 05:50AM
Project Wideawake, the Uncanny X-Men roster book, and Children of the Atom all agree on her having Incredible Endurance. Oh, and Excellent Fighting.

-Wal

March 09, 2006 08:15AM
And how old are those RPG books?
And how much more badass has she been shown to be in the decade or so since then?
March 09, 2006 09:09AM
Of course I have never understood why she is made to be so bad @#$%&. In the movie going one one with wolverine. Give me a break, the chick is a deciever not a fighter.
March 09, 2006 09:12AM
True, that. In her own recent series, she was shown as being Forge's equal - no better - in unarmed combat. And Forge, while tough and well-trained, is also middle-aged, and has never been a major brawler.

-Wal

Ajax
March 09, 2006 11:14AM
Still, her having an endurance score equal to an early Collossus write up is a bit much. In the game ( w/out martial arts A ) The Ironman armor bullet head popular design with inc-40 strength gives a right cross YELLOW(roll of 85) punch to her face for 40 points of damage and with a trickle of blood turns to Ironman and smiles---- No slam chance because her endurance is AMAZING!!!

I've always liked the older martial arts A slam and differing strength and endurance rules myself but my point is its cool if Cap can slam her with a yellow roll and Judo but some good ol' fashion raw power ( 10 tons worth ) should be able to slam an 140 lb woman also.
March 09, 2006 11:23AM
Ajax Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought someone's strength had to match or be
> better then the endurance to be slammed. Otherwise
> a feeble-2 strength could also slam Mystique with
> a yellow?
>
That rule is omitted from the Advanced Set so the argument could be made that comparitive strength/endurance doesn't matter.

There's a mention in the Advanced Set that it is an add-on to the Basic Set but everything else in the two books implies replacement.
March 09, 2006 11:32AM

Yeah. I just can't see why Mystique would have a End of Amazing, while guys like Wolverine and Cap have only Rm. She isn't tougher than them, she's not in better shape than them, and she isn't fueled by some sort of amplified internal energies like, maybe one could argue Magneto is.

I really don't get Mystique with Amazing End. :S
March 09, 2006 01:12PM
Well, the base argument is that she's a shapeshifter, and shapeshifters tend to be hard to injure, since they can move around their internal organs and heal surface damage by just 'smoothing over' their flesh. Another argument is that Mystique is said to be able to 'reboot' her 'genetic template' and thus make herself resistant to diseases and poisons, and since those things are resisted by Endurance, she should have a higher End to reflect this.
March 09, 2006 03:04PM
Or, more likely within the game mechanics, she should have power stunts of powers like Metabolic Resistance, Purge, Armour Skin, Body Resistance, Regeneration or Recovery. After all, repositioned organs and rebooted genes aren't something she has going permanently.

Not to mention extra body parts, which could probably give her an edge in combat. And there's a nifty trick she did once where she shifted all of the muscle mass from her left arm into her right just as she punched somebody.

-Wal

Ajax
March 09, 2006 10:16PM
Doc, your points are well taken and I did not consider those possibilities w/ shape shifting. In a way if we were to use for an example Odo from Deep Space 9 and someone gave him AM-50 endurance I would not of questioned it. Good work Doc, i'll leave her stats on this site untouched when i use her.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.