Most Powerful Team You could make

Posted by junderway 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Most Powerful Team You could make
June 09, 2007 09:01PM
Seems like a serious overreaction to a simple post. It wasn't meant to be insulting or derogatory, just a joke referring to how in the old days you rarely saw a black character in a group unless he or she was added just to meet efforts to be politically correct. It was enough you saw efforts in some movies to even have a black character in the group for some of the parody movies say things like 'Hey I ain't going in there, don't you know the black guy always gets it first?'. Even the Mad Magazine parody for Ghost Busters has a 'Token Black' arrow pointing to the black guy as he seemed just tossed in for racial diversity (although he did fair much better in the animated series).

I'm sure over the years more than a few characters started as tokens but later evolved into something far beyond their original beginnings, like the Black Panther and Falcon. It's just a simple fact of life that is better to accept the reality of things that it did and does happen rather than trying to deny it ever existed or toss a fit over references of it and afford it more power instead of stealing the power from it.
Re: Be careful
June 10, 2007 12:51AM
Here here. This is true, you are responsible for what you do. But the token black guy thing is offensive, and in a way you don't wholly seem to understand. Racism is institutionalized and predominately invisible to the people perpetrating it and often times called something different so the people recieving it will consider it the natural way or something they deserve.

There is a qoute, something like " A creature can sit atop another creature with out ever realizing it is under it. But the creature being sat upon is painfully aware it is under the crushing weight of the creature above it." I don't recall who said that, but the point remains.

Punstarr, I have seen many movies about space: starwars, startrek, apollo13,etc. But I never call up NASA telling them ways to better run the spaceprogram.
You are not a minority. Don't patronize me with your estimations of TJ's intentions or your prior posts that deflect the significance of this discourse. You coming to save the day on TJ's behalf could be considered noble to some, but with my continual experience it reeked of so many hundreds, nay thousands, of conversations where the white person denied not only that there actions were inappropriate but also denied the history and current atrocity that make them inappropriate. Where there is smoke there is usually fire. And your defense that TJ didn't mean it in racist way is not convincing because nearly every person I meet, especially white, don't know what racism really is, why it persists, how it was created, and there own roll in it. But often they defend themselves or others from non-existent attacks, dispelling the myth that they are involved in anything racist. I address these issues at length in my prior posts. Out of fear they get defensive trying to make there sin look righteous. This situation with you fell into that pattern.
You say you have never mistreated anyone based on ethnicity? Never? Quite a statement because if you have ever prejudged someone by stereotype, even on T.V. you have mistreated them. Racism isn't just saying the "n"word it is a mindstate.
Ethopian proverb-The peson who does not ackowledge their sickness does nothing to get better.

This has been "token black guy", keeping it real.
June 10, 2007 02:01AM
Wow Nightmask you have all the answers. I am overeacting to a little funny joke about the current oppressive conduct that produces inequality?

My attempting to educate about it is a overreaction?
I should accept it and that will drain the power from it?
Mad Magazine has a token black arrow so that is not racist?

Nightmask you aren't freinds with any black people are you? Your general naivete and ineffectual response to racist practices is where I am deducing this.

With your current line of thought I would'nt suggest attempting to befreind any black people.But if you so happen to you should share what you wrote on this thread. You know kinda bring it up in a conversation nd then verbatum recite your philosophy on how because hollywood (who isn't racist at all) has movies making fun of the fact that the one black face in the movie will be one of if not the first to die in the movie. Now your black freind is not the communal voice of all black people but recieve their true unadulterated thoughts and if you think of it PM me so i can see what they see verbatum.

Or just continue accusing me of unwarranted fits.
Whatever works for you.It is your world.
June 10, 2007 02:16AM
My aren't you a touchy one, and so quick to insult and dismiss someone because they don't overreact and call forth the censors and forces for political correctness and blow something far out of proportion for the context of it. Also that 'current oppressive conduct' hasn't existed for decades and if anything the oppression has been the heavy-handed effort to enforce political correctness in all situations, no matter how malicious it truly ends up being.

Obviously you are fabricating things on assumptions and how you'd like to see them as you can't possibly deduce any of that from my earlier posting, particularly with the condescending remarks about my having to be naive and ineffectual in response to racial matters.

It's also pretty racist to 'suggest' someone shouldn't attempt to make friends with someone else based on their skin color. I will be friendly to whomever I feel like, that being my right as a free-willed human being. I also don't break down the people I know as 'well I know some blacks over here, and some mexicans over their, and oh some indians over there', since I don't measure people by that, nor should anyone else.
June 10, 2007 11:03AM
Oh Jesus... Slingshot, stop it. Stop it right now. You're being aggressive and accusatory when there's absolutely no reason to... this is a freaking comic book/RPG forum, not a political activism forum. I didn't "jump to TJ's rescue", I merely warned you not to generalize... and you responded by doing even more generalizing. You don't know me. You don't know what my life has been. There are more minorities in the world than just the ones based on skin color. People discriminate based on some of the dumbest crap you can think of. As for whether I've ever unconsciously mistreated anyone, I can't say that for sure anymore than you can... it goes both ways, dude. None of us are completely innocent, but I feel I'm about as innocent as an adult can be in this day and age when it comes to discrimination. I understand what you're trying to say, but your words are getting in the way and making you look angry and ignorant. I'm not saying you -are- ignorant, mind you... just watch how you word things.

June 10, 2007 01:28PM
I'm not sure I understand the exercise :(

Would the outcome of any battle between these teams be subject to what the Judge rules during combat? And therefore be bias towards what character, or powers, that Judge likes over other powers?

Is that even the criteria for judging the most powerful team? Who can beat up the other guys team?
June 10, 2007 10:37PM
Your response also seems a tad touchy. Which is your right as free will individual. I stoll don't think you have any black freinds. Which I am sure you don't care what I think. You'll probably prove it by not responding to this post.

If you do respond would you mind trying out that lil experiment I proposed from the first post. Just for fun mind you education is purely secondary if at all.
June 10, 2007 10:42PM
Your response also seems a tad touchy. Which is your right as free will individual. I still don't think you have any black freinds. Which I am sure you don't care what I think. You'll probably prove it by not responding to this post.

"Also that 'current oppressive conduct' hasn't existed for decades and if anything the oppression has been the heavy-handed effort to enforce political correctness in all situations" This lets me know how out of touch you are. Which is why I suggested you not atempt to befreind anyone black.

If you do respond would you mind trying out that lil experiment I proposed from the first post to you. Just for fun mind you, education is purely secondary if at all.
June 10, 2007 10:56PM
You start off with blasphemy and then work your way into accusation and justification. Punstarr if this is just a "a freaking comic book/RPG forum, not a political activism forum." Does that mean I can't speak my mind?

You were doing okay with I'm not innocent bit, but then you justify yourself by generalizing the rest of adults of this day and age. The pot calling the kettle black.

Bottom line Pun, I appreciate your thoughts about my statements no matter how unfounded they are. But these justifications and generalizations you are using to protect yourself are trully a hinderance to your education about why TJ's comment was not cool to me. And a couple other million people I could think of.

As far as angry and ignorant go. Injustice and it's perpetration are issues that concern me, that don't have to concern you. I mean all injustices not picking and choosing racial and otherwise. As far as ignorant well I don't beleive my words conveyed that to you. I'm not convinced that you are convinced i am ignorant or that my words are. i see that my words bother and may even anger you. But my intention is to convey information. Sometimes info can be convicting. But the common practice is to say don't shoot the messenger.

My Most powerful team?...still thinking it out.
June 10, 2007 11:12PM
Sling, dude... let it go. Please. You may think you're trying to "educate", but all you're doing is giving the impression that you're trying to talk down to everyone who you don't see as being in the same "minority group" as you. That's what isn't cool. Of course people are going to react in a negative manner. It's coming across as nothing but pretentious and condescending, regardless of your actual intentions. So for the sake of keeping the peace and keeping this thread on topic, please... let. it. go.

June 10, 2007 11:23PM
Pun I think your wrong. I think some education happened. And I am not upset that I come across as condescending,because that is exactly how I feel about the posts from you and nightmask. If you want to drop it, cool. I am glad we had a chance to talk.

And I enjoyed your thoughts.
June 11, 2007 01:03AM
While I don't break my friends down by color I do have black friends, I had no problems linking them to my comments and yours, and so far I haven't had any of them give me any heat for my replies to you, but did find your generating flames over a more than year old comment not to be a positive presentation of black people.

As far as education go, well I do hope you'll learn something, for your sake. Not very hopeful but it would be delightful to be wrong.
June 11, 2007 01:16AM
Sadly you seem to be the one out of touch, if you think things here in the 21st century are no better than they were in the 50s and 60s. You also seem to have the flawed belief you actually know me and can tell me who my friends can be, driven by your prejudices regarding white people and having grown up in an age far better for blacks and others than during the hard days of the battles over Civil Rights when being black meant you couldn't even wash your hands where a white person did, let alone gain an education like one.

As far as touchy goes, while I'm a generally nice and friendly person it annoys me to no end when someone creates drama where it doesn't belong and filters everything for an excuse to act outraged, such that when an actual valid reason for such feelings it's been trivialized by people turning everything into a battle.

Or do you actually think when Imus made his comment that it should have been treated as the only thing of newsworthiness and the massacre at Virginia Tech should never have preempted it, like some black leaders brazenly and callously declared?
June 11, 2007 05:04AM
How's that experiment going. Eager to see the results.
June 11, 2007 07:32AM
Another few questions that occurred to me:

What are the criteria to determine if a character is an omega level character?

Are we using the write ups found on this website?

And are we allowing prep time or are we dropping these teams into an arena to see who wins? Cause it seems to me that with any given amount prep time, a team of Forge, Hank Pym, Reed Richards, Tony Stark, and Batman could beat pretty much anything.
December 18, 2007 03:31PM
Dr. Strange, Ghost Rider, Blade, Kraven, Medusa

You can run, but you'll neber be able to hide.
December 19, 2007 06:55AM
Box of Alpha Flight (Madison Jefferies version)

Ghost Rider (Johnny Blaze)

Invisible Woman as Malice

Karnak, of the Inhumans

Solo

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
December 19, 2007 07:16AM
Slingshot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I understand man's capability of treating each
> other like dirt. I also am aware of the current
> situation in the USA where we have the largest
> prison population in the history of the world...

And yet, as our murderers, rapists, and drug peddlers watch <i>To Catch A Predator</i> on cable TV from the comfort of their air conditioned security pods,
we poor unenlightened Americans on the outside still can't find our way to qualify for the annual international "innocent prisoners in mass graves" competition.

-----
"Batman and Captain America are the key to everything" - Alexander Luthor Jr. of Earth-Blue3/Red616, on merging the Purple Multiverse
December 19, 2007 07:32AM
Sorry... didn't look at the date on this tiff...

-----
December 19, 2007 09:25AM
Quasar (Wendell Vaughn)

Dr. Strange

Hulk (merged/cured version, NOT professor version)

Forge

Beta Ray Bill/Thor

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Complete list of my characters various forum URLs, over 30 to enjoy!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Godiva Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Seraphim Character Sheet

[www.furaffinity.net] Art by Marvel Comic's artist Rusty Haller!

[www.furaffinity.net] Artist/writer/Creator of The Extinctioners Independent super-hero comic!

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Sappho Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Cornucopia Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvel.com] - Nightmares of Futures Past Ongoing Story

[www.classicmarvel.com] - There is no such thing as too powerful Forum Thread

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.