Warriors (come out and ... play .. yaaaay)

Posted by Powersurge 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Warriors (come out and ... play .. yaaaay)
February 20, 2006 01:53PM

I just watched the "Ultimate Directors Cut" of this old classic. This was the "Boyz in the Hood" of me and my teeny-bopper buddies back in the day. Of course, we were more like an "the Outsiders" group than a gang. You know, the same ol'bunch dirty little white boys and indians from the same ol' neighbourhood ... nothing really "gangland" about it.

Anyway, I never knew that the movie was originally inteneded to have a comicbook look to it ... in scene transitions, gang costumes, and such. Nor did I realize that it was based on a historic events of a buncha Greek mercs back in 401 BC who were caught in the heart of the Persian Empire when everything went to heck for them. They had to fight their way back to the sea, from whence they could return home, which became their symbol of freedom and security.

Anyway, it was the comicbook element of the movie that inspired me to stat out the Warriors from the movie and present them here for whatever anyone might make of them.

I'll start with a link to wikipedia's write-up on the movie, which includes a list of the names of many other gangs made up for the movie ...

[en.wikipedia.org]

Cleon

F - Ex
A - Gd
S - Ty
E - Gd
R - Gd
I - Gd
P - Gd

Health: 46

Talents: Martial Arts B

Swan

F - Ex
A - Gd
S - Ty
E - Gd
R - Ty
I - Gd
P - Ex

Health: 46

Fox

F - Ty
A - Gd
S - Pr
E - Gd
R - Gd
I - Ex
P - Ty

Health: 30

Talents: Gangland Knowledge (New York)

Rembrant

F - Ty
A - Gd
S - Pr
E - Gd
R - Ty
I - Gd
P - Gd

Health: 30

Talents: Artist

Ajax

F - Gd
A - Gd
S - Gd(8)
E - Gd
R - Pr
I - Pr
P - Gd

Health: 38

Snow

F - Gd
A - Gd
S - Ty
E - Gd
R - Ty
I - Gd
P - Ty

Health: 36

Vermin

F - Gd
A - Ty
S - Ty(7)
E - Gd
R - Ty
I - Ty
P - Ty

Health: 34

Chocise

F - Gd
A - Gd
S - Ty
E - Gd
R - Ty
I - Ty
P - Ty

Health: 36

Cowboy

F - Ty
A - Gd
S - Ty(5)
E - Ty
R - Pr
I - Pr
P - Pr

Health: 27

Re: Warriors (come out and ... play .. yaaaay)
February 20, 2006 04:47PM
I've flirted with the idea of doing these repeatedly over the last couple of weeks (my girlfriend gave me the DVD last month). In my head, I had very similar to what you've got. Except that I had Ajax with Typical Agility, and while Cleon, Swan, Cochise and Ajax all rated Good Endurance, the rest I set at Typical.

Oh, and talents. I'm more generous than most with these, because I always feel they make or break a character. So I had something like:

Cleon: Leadership, Martial Arts B, Street Smarts.

Swan: Leadership, Martial Arts E, Thrown Weapons (here the Molotov Cocktail, as well as the knife, should be counted as a weapon).

Ajax: Intimidation, Martial Arts B.

Fox: Street Smarts.

I also downloaded some deleted scenes the other day, here: [www.warriorsmovie.co.uk] The first one may be of particular interest - in the second half of it, Cleon details the exact role of each team member.

Edit to Add: Oh yeah, and how about Mercy?

Fighting: Typical
Agility: Typical
Strength: Poor
Endurance: Typical
Reason: Typical
Intuition: Typical
Psyche: Typical

No real talents.

-Wal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2006 04:49PM by Wallace.
February 20, 2006 06:33PM

Cool Stuff Wallace! Awesome talents! I disagree with you about Mercy though. Apparently she did have at least one talent. ;)
Ajax
February 20, 2006 10:34PM
Try reading the novel ( in which the movie is based which in turn uses slightly Xenophons march up counrty ) by Sol Yurick -1965 for more stuff an very different look at the Warriors. It will also give you a list of more characters and gang names. By the way all the names of the Warriors from the movie are different from the book including the gang name: they were called The Dominators. The warriors was the name given to members of all gangs who were in the inner circle and could be called upon to fight.

As far as stats are concerned mine would be different but i'd tweek a couple off the top: Fox could have GD reason but if thats so Cleon would have TY. The only other warrior who could have Gd reason would be Swan w/ maybe GD(8)not 10.

And this might sound biased but Ajax was actually a tiny bit better ( but not smarter ) fighter as Swan so i'd give Ajax ( cool name dont you think? ) EX(20)or (22) Fighting. Intuition and its bonus for combat first strike would be Swans equalizer.

In a way many of the gang members compared to super heroes would all have the same stats but compared to eachother there would be a slieght difference in there stats and I like that you did that-Powersurge.

In there own little world of gang life ( it could almost be there campaign world game ) there would be different Talents and subtle changes in weapon stats to fit there more specialized world. Looking down from up on high-power level wise even Captain America would see little difference in the individuals but we FANS see the difference.

The character of ACE from spiderman would go great with a Warriors session but he's a little too good for them according to his stats but what the heck!

I should of declared this a couple of years ago when I first came to this sight but I'm a big fan of the Warriors!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.