High Evolutionary's Talents

Posted by Quantum Promise 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
High Evolutionary's Talents
February 28, 2005 06:49AM
Am I reading this correctly? I mean, +3 CS in Reason for the purpose of activities related to Genetics and Engineering effectively gives him Beyond Reason (a pun if ever I saw one) in these fields, right? Anybody else have a problem with him being a better engineer and geneticist than the Living Tribunal, Eternity and Death?

"Stand and face your better, lapdog"
Julia
Re: High Evolutionary's Talents
February 28, 2005 07:04AM
No?
February 28, 2005 08:41AM
But it's crazy! He's a human scale being who could create technologies that would make the Celestials @#$%& in envy!

"Stand and face your better, lapdog"
Taiga
February 28, 2005 11:28AM
The High Evolutionary was good, no doubt. But it does seem like the Living Tribunal and Eternity ought to be a bit better.
The knowledge of the Evolutionary is incredibly specialized, rather than general, but giving him Beyond Reason (or, for that matter, a Beyond FASERIP ability to anyone in the Marvel Universe) in genetics seems a bit much. It seems to me that he shouldn't be the equal of the Celestials in genetics, since they've been around and doing this kind of thing for far longer than he has, and, in fact, were responsible for planting within humanity the x-gene that probably gave the Evolutionary his unbelievable intelligence in the first place.
March 06, 2005 11:07PM
Yeah, it is too much. I think it would be proper to consider his +3CS to be "vestigial" or "antiquated". He had it and used it before he evolved himself. Now that he is uber1337, the knowledge he possessed when still normal is kids stuff.

Besides, you can make a very strong case against ANY Talents employed by characters in the Class range. On page 15 of the Player's Book, in the column entitled "Shifting the Rank" it states "Anything in the Class 1000, Class 3000, Class 5000 or Beyond columns may not be shifted, except in specific circumstances listed for that FEAT." Interpret that as you will, but I use it in cases like this. Take Fighting for instance. If a character has Class 1000 Fighting, is he really going to get better if he takes some boxing classes (Martial Arts B)? Hell no, and anyone who thinks differently has a poodle for a head :mad:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm the rest of his life
March 07, 2005 09:14AM
I was going to mention the same thing. I believe the talent is listed to show the benefit he recieved "back in the day" it also shows where his scientific focus is.

==
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur. (Translation: Everything said in Latin
sounds profound.)
Epyon
March 09, 2005 06:57AM
Aren't the High Evolutionary's stats in general way out of line? I mean, the way he's written up, he's more powerful than Odin... I know he's heavy duty, but I had no idea he's godlike...
March 09, 2005 07:12AM
Well, he has gone up against Galactus, though I can't recall how that fight went.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
March 09, 2005 04:57PM
Also, this is nitpicking but shouldn't he be listed under villains? He has done some heroic things in the past and he is heroic in his own mind. But he is often the cause of some grand scheme that gets contested by heroes.

Someday there will be no racism.
Thats the day aliens will attack.
Then we will all hate green people.
March 16, 2005 06:42AM
I'd say he's on par with the Celestials, as far as scientific knowledge (esp. genetics) goes. He was the one who created Counter-Earth (the first one; Franklin Richards made the second one for the Heroes Reborn thing) for his Ani-Men, and he created a satellite-based device that removed the x-factor polygene from every person on Earth, thus not only removing all Mutant powers but also the potential to develop Mutant powers, and changed "non-human" looking Mutants (Beast, Blob, Mystique, Nightcrawler, Toad, etc.) into the Normal Human form they would've had had they never developed Mutant powers in the first place.

As for Villain/Hero thing.... I'd stick him under "Cosmic Entities," that seems to me to be his closest fit.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Medusa's Nosehair
April 10, 2005 10:52AM
Dr. Archeville and MIC rulz are right here, I think. He should be at least on par with the Celestials--even with their tradition and power, he caught up to them in one human lifetime! Don't forget, however, that knowledge of genetics alone doesn't make him uber powerful. A little time travel and you're fighting Herbie instead of High Evie.

Also, his rather high genetic knowledge is a nod to his weight "back in the day." Guy was powerful enough to create an alternate earth (before they were in fashion) and to be one of the first to wreak (minor) havok in all of the Marvel titles.

And yes, he is more a cosmic entity than either hero or villan, IMHO.
August 11, 2005 02:20PM
Quantum Promise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But it's crazy! He's a human scale being who could
> create technologies that would make the Celestials
> @#$%& in envy!

Yup. He's even made cow people! So what?

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.