"Amazing" Intuition

Posted by Brannon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Brannon
"Amazing" Intuition
January 28, 2005 03:08PM
I've been debating wether or not Amazing intuition is a rank that only some skilled in psionics or magic should have, going by the description in the Judges books it's unclear. Incredible mentions "hunches and empathic" yet Cap and Doctor Doom, the examples, don't have intuitive mental powers. Prof X is the example for Amazing, but the descripton seems to not exclude normal humans since having strong hunches is hardly supernatural... usually.

The reason I ask is becasue I want to stat out Sherlock Holmes as a "historic hero" and I want to give him Amazing Intuition, however if it's considered "beyond human capacity" like Remarkable Strength/Endurance etc. I'd give him Incredible (though I see him as being for aware than Cap and Doom, as sharp as they are). Just curious. Really, with the column shifts Holmes would get to his intuition from his master of related skills I doubt it really matters.
Re: "Amazing" Intuition
January 28, 2005 06:32PM
Hm...

Can't help with your question, but this might help: <[www.classicmarvel.com];

Thinking about it, I'd probably give him Good Endurance, the Stamina talent (as suggested in the thread), and only Remarkable Reason.

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
Brannon
Re: &quot;Amazing&quot; Intuition
January 28, 2005 08:39PM
Sorry, I think I confused you. I was looking at the max a normal human could have in all stats (AM-F, IN-A, EX-S, RM-E et.) and going by that. I would give Holmes an Incredible Reason without a doubt (he's a genius in a single focus....crime and all it's related skills) I was just wondering if Amazing Intuition is beyond the reach of someone without superpowers. I know what I will give him for every stat besides Intuition (either IN or AM), to make it clear.
January 28, 2005 10:02PM
Here's what I have on my site that someone else did for Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. To answer your question, I think AM Intution should be for someone with enhanced abilities, etc. not normal humans. But I could probably see it the other way too I guess.

SHERLOCK HOLMES
Consulting Detective

Fighting: Good
Agility: Good
Strength: Good
Endurance: Remarkable
Reason: Remarkable
Intuition: Incredible
Psyche: Excellent
Health: 60
Resources: Gd
Pop: 30

Talents: Martial Arts B and C, Fencing, Blunt Weapons, Criminology, Law, Detective/Espionage, Chemistry, Biology, Geology, Disguise, Performer (Violin), Streetwise

Contacts: Police Forces in Europe and North America, Mycroft Holmes (effectively the British Government), London Underworld, Dr Watson.

Weaknesses: Cocaine

Notes: The Endurance is so high because he's been mentioned as working for weeks without work (eg "The Reigate Squire"). The Reason is Rm because he's made scientific discoveries (See "A Study in Scarlet") and the Intuition is Incredible because he's the world's greatest detective. I've probably forgotten a bunch of his talents as I'm doing this off the top of my head.

JOHN H. WATSON, MD
Fighting: Good
Agility: Typical
Strength: Good
Endurance: Typical
Reason: Good
Intuition: Typical
Psyche: Good
Health: 32
Resources: GD
Popularity: 10
Talents: Medicine, Military, Guns, Artist (Writing).
Contacts: Sherlock Holmes, Medical Profession, Scotland Yard

Equipment: Army Service Revolver (6 pts Shooting Damage, Ex Material Strength)

Notes: Watson does have some degree of military training, hence the higher Fighting and Talents. He isn't stupid, despite numerous film/TV portrayals to the contrary ? he's an MD after all, he just looks dim compared to Holmes. Finally the Writing is used when he's writing Holmes' adventures.

Stats By Alistair J. Dunbar

MSH Classic RPG System
[rivendell.fortunecity.com]
Re: &amp;quot;Amazing&amp;quot; Intuition
January 29, 2005 01:33AM
I'm sorry, but I just don't get these strengths. I've read every Holmes story Doyle ever wrote and neither Holmes nor Watson were depicted as being stronger than the average man, aka, Pr*04. Too, an Endurance of an Olympic level Tri-Athlete? Wha? I've worked for weeks on end with an average of two to three hours sleep a night. It never said anywhere that Holmes didn't stop at all. Hyperbole is one thing, silliness is another. There just is no means to support a human peak Endurance and in no way on God's green Earth would you see Holmes hanging and banging in the gym with Ahhhhnold.

Also, for Holmes you need to add Guns talent and probably Trivia as a broad based Talent, maybe 1 CS DOWN in stead of up for balance sake. I'd also remove Guns talent from Watson, who while he was in the service in his youth was never protrayed as even a decent shot with the pistol he so often carried, while Holmes comes off as a sharpshooter.

I'm not arguing with Ty, he didn't make the stat blocks after all, but seeing these i had to throw my two cents in.

G

If electricity comes from electrons; does that mean that morality comes from morons? G. Carlin
G.A.W.
Re: &amp;amp;quot;Amazing&amp;amp;quot; Intuition
January 29, 2005 02:11AM
Holmes was shown to bend an iron bar back in place after a "strong man" bent it but it wasn't clear if he used a secret technique or his raw strength to do this.

Therefore I would give Holmes TY(5) Strength. TY(6) if you want to use just the base numbers.

As for his talents , they could be expanded a little but I'll have to consult my encyclopedia of Sherlock Holmes again. ( it's a real book )
January 29, 2005 04:10AM
Gerrod, go read the stories again. Particularly - I can't remember the title - the one in which they investigage a man found with a harpoon driven clean through his body.

It's stated that the powerfully muscled harpoonist they encounter, capable of driving a harpoon clean through a man's body with a single thrust, is one of the few men Holmes has ever met stronger than himself. I believe comments are made that he had a lot of difficulty getting a spear clean through a pig carcass with a single thrust - but could do it.

And then, of course, there was the iron bar incident.

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
Re: "Amazing" Intuition
January 30, 2005 09:20PM
Incredible is the human limit. You won't find it clearly stated anywhere in canon, but it is. Don't sweat Cap having Incredible Intuition. He has a couple different write-ups: one gives him a 10-40-10 RIP score and another gives him 20-20-50, both being "official". Give Holmes IN Intuition and appropriate Talents and he'll do just fine. An easy way to remember the human maxes is that Cap has the highest FASE a human can have and Doctor Doom has the highest RIP scores a human can have, yes Doom is that good. He doesn't come-off as a sleuth but hey, he isn't a detective! But he is one hell of a magic user, and that crowd almost always comes packin' great Intuition and Psyche scores.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm the rest of his life

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.