Grey Gargoyle's petrify power

Posted by MIC_Rulz 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Grey Gargoyle's petrify power
September 23, 2004 03:21PM
I can't remember the issue number, but teh grey gargoylr faced off against the Grey Hulk "Mr FIxit" And his regenerative/endurance powers allowed him to shake off the petrification effect almost immediatley. He was severly slowed but was able to move and eventually kick GG backside.
FOOM
Re: Body Transformation - Others
September 23, 2004 04:28PM
I did not see where GG is used as an example in the description of Body Transformation in the Player's Book. I did see it in the UPB.
September 23, 2004 04:30PM
MIC_Rulz - It's in your name to be the "Rulz" lawer.:)

Just about every one of these posts needs a rule lawyer it seems. I feel bad for the poor young player that looks at these boards and sees all the house rules and blah blah blah that people try and pass off as the MSH game. The rules are intricate and confusing enough as it is without goin in a jimmyin it all up.

}~Johnny~{
FOOM
September 23, 2004 04:33PM
Just prior to reading your post I was going to post this question:

"Has anyone seen GG in an issue where his power was resisted?"

Mr. 9 Steps has read an ish where a version of Hulk did.

But hey, I am not going to share this information with my players, heh, heh, heh.
September 23, 2004 08:36PM
FOOM wrote:

> I did not see where GG is used as an example in the description
> of Body Transformation in the Player's Book. I did see it in
> the UPB.

Really? That's so bizzare. Your copies must be different than mine. Here, I'll copy over what I posted before from the Players' Book and I'll include the full text from the UPB version that I have.

The following is from the Marvel Super Heroes Players' Book. Power name is "Body Transformation - Others" and it is in the Matter Controls section. This is from page 75:

Body Transformation — Others: The hero with this Power can convert living tissues to other substances, for example, as Warlock turns his opponents to crystal circuitry or his to stone. The hero with this Power chooses one material and the transformation duration (up to one hour). A target of this Power must be touched, and may make a Psyche or Endurance FEAT (target's choice) to avoid being converted into that substance. While in that form the target has no recollection of what has occurred, and has the material strength of that substance. Flesh-to-flesh contact must be made; a foe in a full body-suit would be immune to this Power.

Heroes who accept a -2CS shift in initial Power may affect non-living tissue as well. In the case of touching a foe in a body suit, the suit would be converted into the material in question. Materials of a higher material strength than the Power rank are unaffected.

In any event, the target regains his normal form following the transformation, even if pieces are broken off or dispersed.

The following is from the Ultimate Powers Book (aka UPB). Power name is "Body Transformation-Others. It is a Life Control power from page 37:

L3/Body Transformation-Others: The hero can alter the nature of elements and compounds within a living target's body. Innate safe-guards in the Power maintain the target's lifeforce for as long as the target is in the altered state. Such states are not necessarily mobile, but if they are, they may require the target to move in new ways.

While in a solid altered state, the target retains his overall normal appearance. If liquid or gaseous, he can assume any shape but can still automatically revert to his original shape when the Power's effects end. When transforming a target, the hero normally changes the entire body unless the player states beforehand which specific section he is changing. The safeguards still take effect, but the target loses sensation in the affected areas. Transformations can take any of three basic forms:

• Chemical: The target's chemical makeup is changed to other chemicals.
• Physiological:The target's basic life functions are changed. The target may be changed to animal, plant, or a different chemical basis.
• Energy:The solid target is co nverted to a coherent energy field.

When creating the hero, the player decides the form of change in which the hero specializes. If random generation provides this Power again, the player can select another form or add +1CS to the first form chosen. Since this can be considered an attack, the target can choose to resist; he can also forego resistance if he so desires. Power rank determines the Intensity of the effects on the target, the range at which the effects can occur, and the duration of the effects. Normally the Power is used on a single target. Each additional target reduces the effects by -1CS.

Since your books seem to be different maybe someone should figure out how many versions of the books are out there and determine what other differences there are.

==
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur. (Translation: Everything said in Latin
sounds profound.)
FOOM
September 24, 2004 03:48AM
Ah. . .I was looking on page 79 Body Transformation-Self. Sorry that I made you do all that typing.
I toyed with the idea of responding, " Damn, that is strange. In my copy of the Player's Book GG's name is not written anywhere on page 79!",
but I was affraid that your eyes would pop out of your head and spin around as steam flowed out of your ears and your scream would sound like a train whistle.
So instead I admitted my screw up.

I presume the write up for GG is simply because prior to the ish where Mr. Fixit (?) was able to counter the effects of the power, no one else had ever resisted.

But having read the description on page 75 I see your point; If GG's write up overrules the power description in the PB then he should not be used as an example of how the power works.

If I use GG and have him touch one of the PCs and the player whips out his PB to see what options his hero has to resist, I'll say, "Sorry Bub. GG shouldn't had been used as an example. The game designer should have read GG's writeup from two years before he wrote the power description."
September 24, 2004 06:46AM
LOL, no worries on that. :bounce:

I didn't even bother to check with the body transformation-self. He probably has that too, huh?

==
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur. (Translation: Everything said in Latin
sounds profound.)
FOOM
September 25, 2004 07:22AM
Sure. Why not? I presume GG masturbates with the "other" hand.
FOOM
September 25, 2004 07:24AM
"Oui ! Oui ! Viva La Fraaaaaaaaaaargggggggggggggh!!!!!"
September 25, 2004 07:54AM
Uh, when he touches himself with his permanently-petrified hand, he turned into aimate stone, like Colossus.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
September 29, 2004 12:27PM
MIC Rulz,

I dont think you are "snobbish and stuff" I think I need to sleep before I post after working 12+ hours and being awake 20+, LOL, not after. LOL
Normally I am much more on the ball than that. LOL

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.