Buffy/Angel Revisited

Posted by Wallace 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Buffy/Angel Revisited
August 26, 2004 01:52AM
Suriyawong wrote:

> true_dweomer wrote:
> > she could "move between the ticks"
>
> Thats an elder level celerity discipline and is RST approval.
> Apparrently so is innovartion. Sorry if there are no Cammies
> that get that.

Hee hee. Just about the only game I've actually played in years. We ditched almost all of the printed LARP books for WW's WoD and are just using a slightly modified version of the table-top system. In fact, character generation is 95% identical, we simply put a higher premium on the Status Background and a lot of Merits, Flaws, Secondary Abilities, etc., are highly scrutinized by my friend who runs the game.

Interestingly enough, when WoD 2.0 launches, the main change they are doing to the LARP rules is that they differ sparingly from the table-top! I guess my buddy saved everybody a couple hundred bucks in "conversion fees".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm the rest of his life
August 26, 2004 02:04AM
Lord_Sidious wrote:

> is it just me or do the book type chicks only get hotter when
> they go bad?
>
> EX: Vampire Willow - wow
> Evil Magic Willow - even with the veins - wow
> Fred - again wow.

Mmm... Naughty girls. Aren't all girls better evil? Even the allure of a "good girl" is the prospect of turning her to the dark side. Maybe that's it. Book-chicks seem to be default good girls. We get to know them as good girls. Then they go all naughty!

Perhaps Joss Whedon uses it as a metaphor to depict how lots of girls require drugs or alcohol to give them a viable social excuse to act on their hidden, but true, desires, thus allowing them to maintain their reputations by giving them an "out", i.e. "that wasn't me, it was the beer talking", which would permit them to transgress social mores and yet still save face. Or maybe Joss just likes naughty girls too! :beer:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm the rest of his life
August 26, 2004 12:55PM
Faith was always bad. You could see in some episodes that he wanted Buffy to look like a ho. It made more guys watch. I can not think of any guy out there who watched Buffy to see the cool martial arts or Spike. It was SMG in leather.

Sid

Live Fast, Live Hard and Play it Loud
August 28, 2004 03:02AM
I have the PDF of the BuffyRPG core rule book. In it they make tongue-in-cheek comments as to how every girl in Sunnydale seems to have the Attractive merit. Speaking of tongues-in-cheeks......Amy :bow:

August 28, 2004 10:52AM
I think willow even has that one but with a "when evil only" clause attached.
October 05, 2004 01:56AM
this is a bump for " The Hamma' "...and 'cause I saw Charisma on Charmed and got all nostalgee...

October 05, 2004 12:50PM
guess you missed her pics in Playboy then.....
October 10, 2004 08:30PM
Lord_Sidious wrote:

> guess you missed her pics in Playboy then.....

Have the issue. Had the scans before the issue came out (thus answering the old question of whether people avoid paying for things by using p2p and such :)). Have a bunch of wallpapers made from the scans. And yeah, I still need more :bounce: ! Never enough really, and I doubt she'll get much more work now that A:tS is over, so I'm gettin' while the gettin's still good.

March 10, 2005 07:07PM

Xander - 3
Giles - 3
Cordy - 3 (wow?)
Harmony - 4 (vamp)
Drusilla - 4
Riley - 5
Darla - 5
Oz - 6 (doggie)
The Judge - 7
Dracula - 7
Buffy - 8 {850 pounds}
Spike - 8
The Master - 8
Angel - 9 {1050 pounds}
Adam - 10
Glory - 15
The Mayor after transformation - 20 {5 tons}

These stats are just rediculous. Just Hilarity. I don't care that they are the official stats from the RPG.

Drusilla having 4 Strength makes 0 sense as she can easily lift a full grown man with 1 hand. She can even break down a heavy Wooden Door with ease. Her strength is superhuman.

Riley's strength should not be on par with vampires, unless maybe they are counting the one episode where he started freaking out. He should be at human maximum but he never displayed SUperhuman strength.

The Mayor at 5 tons (Incredible) also makes little sense as he can plow through a building at ease. He's weaker than Spider-Man?

Angel is stronger than the Master? Maybe.

Someday there will be no racism.
Thats the day aliens will attack.
Then we will all hate green people.
March 11, 2005 08:32AM
The official game is totaly BS. The stats that they list for a lot of the characters are way off. They just make later season Buffy so powerful there is no way that she should ever have a bad day. I played for about 2 weeks and then decided to go back to MSH.

March 11, 2005 11:08PM
The_Threat wrote:

>

> Xander - 3
> Giles - 3
> Cordy - 3 (wow?)
> Harmony - 4 (vamp)
> Drusilla - 4
> Riley - 5
> Darla - 5
> Oz - 6 (doggie)
> The Judge - 7
> Dracula - 7
> Buffy - 8 {850 pounds}
> Spike - 8
> The Master - 8
> Angel - 9 {1050 pounds}
> Adam - 10
> Glory - 15
> The Mayor after transformation - 20 {5 tons}
>
>
> These stats are just rediculous. Just Hilarity. I don't care
> that they are the official stats from the RPG.
>
> Drusilla having 4 Strength makes 0 sense as she can easily lift
> a full grown man with 1 hand. She can even break down a heavy
> Wooden Door with ease. Her strength is superhuman.
>
> Riley's strength should not be on par with vampires, unless
> maybe they are counting the one episode where he started
> freaking out. He should be at human maximum but he never
> displayed SUperhuman strength.
>

I disagree with quite a few, but Riley doesn't have superhuman strength. The game allows humans to go up to 5 in any stat without any qualification. A human can have a 6 but they are very rare and the Judge/DM/whatever should make sure that a player isn't going to abuse the soft rule and get 6's in everything. A 7 in a stat can still be considered human, but you are basically the greatest in the world and requires Judge/DM approval, back story, etc. No human main character had a 7 in anything. The best was Fred (yum), who had a 6 intelligence.

But yeah, some of the relationships seem a bit skew. The chick vamps are all listed comfortably within the confines of normal human strength, they are just stronger than they could be if they were in fact human. I don't think this jives well enough with what happens on the shows. They should be bumped up, maybe not to a clear superhuman level which would be 8, but 4 just doesn't cut it.

You'd think that with a game were everybody will be running around with a 2 or a 3 they would have reworked the level definitions and doubled the amount of levels, to reflect the smaller differences in ability that a game of this scale dwells in. MSHRPG has to paint normal people with broad strokes because the system needs to accommodate sky-high superhuman stats AND subhuman stats as well. This game doesn't have that obstacle. Why couldn't we have 1 to 14 instead of 1 to 7 for humans? Riley 10, Dru 11, Harm and Darla 12. That seems OK. But hey, I've been saying the same thing about White Wolf's system for over a decade now so maybe I'm the one who doesn't get it!

March 11, 2005 11:10PM
Sidious wrote:

> The official game is totaly BS. The stats that they list for a
> lot of the characters are way off. They just make later season
> Buffy so powerful there is no way that she should ever have a
> bad day. I played for about 2 weeks and then decided to go back
> to MSH.
>

What are those stats like? I only have the core stats, which end with Season 5. I'm intrigued to see what Season 6 and 7 are.

March 15, 2005 08:13PM
I only have the core and a few of the sourcebooks. I did not get the Sunnydale book cause I didnt want to waste the money. Though my wife is nagging the hell out of me to get it so she can see other things. I will probably be ordering it real soon. Ill let you know what the stats look like but if you follow the rules for going back a few seasons in the corebook and apply that to the newer seasons it gets crazy.

Peace,
Sid

March 15, 2005 08:35PM
I just looked and the Sunnydale book still has not been released. They are supposed to release that and a revised core book this month.

Peace,
Sid

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.