Colossus, solid or coated?

Posted by MIC_Rulz 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Colossus, solid or coated?
April 07, 2004 12:27PM
Johnny1 wrote:

> Colossus doesn't need to breathe in armored form.
>
> Uncanny X-Men #150 - I Magneto.
>
> Colossus -
> "One of our two survival kits was destroyed in the crash...
> Leaving us with only four air packs. Fortunately in my armored
> form...
> I do not need to breathe. My only worry underwater is rust."
>
> And then he turned human and almost drowned!
>
> :)

Thanks Johnny. Saves me time from researching it further.

"It doesn't matter if I win or lose. Just as long as I pissed you off" --- Morrigian, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
April 07, 2004 12:43PM
MIC_Rulz wrote:

> When did he lose the Self Sustenance?
>
> Crap, I reread through things. In the Judge's book he has a
> "minimal need to breathe" but it also says he can hold his
> breath for an indefinite amount of time.
> The
> marvel
> directory description
is similar with "In the past he has
> exhibited a minimal or nonexistent need to breathe while in his
> armored state. However, it is believed that he could not
> survive for long in a vacuum. "
> The
> uncannyxmen.net
> description
lists it "mutant-exotic carbon-polymer flesh
> ... while making him virtually indestructible and capable of
> surviving without food or air"
>
> I always based him on the one from the Mutant set where they
> gave him self-sustenance power. Why was this removed
> compeletely from the
> classic
> marvel write-up
?
>
> I liked the fact that he didn't need to eat/drink/breathe
> before. My house-rules will keep that ability.
>

MIC,

Self Sustenance doesn't all mean "completely without" breathing, eating, etc.. Yes, Colossus in Armor Form doesn't have the need to breathe. The water and the concrete things were two examples where in his armor form that it wouldn't work.

You don't have to make it a house rule. It just a rule of thumb and in his write up. Besides, comic writers do mess up things that were previuosly said all the time.

The best way to look at it is the way the comic did it. Colossus in Armored Form is Pretty much like a Machine....The only way he needs substenace is when he is force back to human form like in the case of the concrete...well at least that how the writers explained how he survived...after being thrown in human form into quick dry concrete..he changed into armored form...but he didn't completely make into that form by the time it dried around him so he needed some crack that was form when he was changing gave him enough air to breathe until they could get him out.

It was weird...But he is self sustenance.

"It doesn't matter if I win or lose. Just as long as I pissed you off" --- Morrigian, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Johnny1
April 07, 2004 12:45PM
;-)
April 07, 2004 12:51PM
not so im sure his right up in the handbooks says he can only hold his breath.
it also states due to his incredible fitness level he can hold it much longer than normal and in armored form longer still

need more stats
randomchance22
April 07, 2004 01:12PM
Just reading this thread and I remember what an old chemistry student told me about Osmium...the word itself translates from latin(?) for stinky metal. If I'm right about this, ol'Pete needs to wear deodorant when in armored form ;-)
April 07, 2004 03:05PM

Colossus wasn't encased in concrete.

Pyro super-heated is armored form almost to melting point.
Then Avalanche proceeded to collapse three trucks containing liquid nitrogen on him. the result turned him to stone.

"To win without risk is to triumph without glory"
April 07, 2004 03:08PM
mike man, it's generally better to go by what's stated or displayed in the comics than by what the handbook says. The handbook compilers often get things wrong. What's in the comics is the truth as this universe knows it, and what's in the comics is that Colossus doesn't need to breathe or eat in metal form.

What's also in the comics is that on the rare occasions when he's been physically injured, he doesn't bleed red.

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
Johnny1
April 07, 2004 03:47PM
It seems like the handbook gives very drawn out sci-fi explanations of powers and abilities using info that has never been established in the comics - although sometimes they are really cool explanations.

:beer:
April 07, 2004 03:58PM
Like the 'Cyclops' eyes are a portal to an energy dimension' one.

Oh, wait, that's not cool.

The comics suggest, and at least once state (when they went to Arkon's dimension) that Cyclops' powers work by absorbing solar energy and converting it to raw force. And that he's effectively a miracle device, the most efficient solar converter in the Marvel Universe. Light into force, which is just what the world could use...

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
Johnny1
April 07, 2004 04:25PM
Thats pretty funny Wallace. Cyclops is the one I was looking at just a while before I wrote that!
The solar conversion thing is what they hint at in the comic book. kind of like Dazzler absorbing sound and transducing it to light. Cyclops absorbs solar radiation and produces kinetic force. Kind of like Havok (his brother) absorbing "cosmic radiation" and emitting Plasma. Someone once wrote that if Cyclops didn't whack his head when he landed, he would be able to discharge his force blasts just like Havok does - and with the same energy build up limitations -- Some kind of what if fan fic.
I think this sounds more accurate than the dimensional aperture thing (and cooler.)
April 07, 2004 07:30PM
yes i suppose that is so wallace. man but the bummer of it is i only ocassionaly get the comics and miss way to much info.
all well i'll keep reading posts and adjusting and maybe get good characters
out of the mix

need more stats
T.I. Monstrous
April 07, 2004 07:57PM
I respectively disagree. Since when he armors up his insides are no longer as DEM puts it "a soft creamy center", Colossus becomes a candidate for True Invulnerability.
Whereas when Thing is tied up and tortured by Doom's demons in a couple of FF issues several months ago, you see the layers of softer tissues exposed from beneath his exterior rocky epidermis, Colossus would just continue to show metal (until he was rendered unconscious, I suppose).
April 08, 2004 12:45PM
Consumate wrote:

>
> Colossus wasn't encased in concrete.
>
> Pyro super-heated is armored form almost to melting point.
> Then Avalanche proceeded to collapse three trucks containing
> liquid nitrogen on him. the result turned him to stone.
>

If I recall correctly, Pyro super- heated the whole area around him...Including the concrete road that he was standing on. Then Avalanche did the thing with trucks as Colossus tried to gain footing in a liquid concrete mess of a ground. This is what turned him into what looked like stone hince encasement.

But I will reread that issue tonight to make sure.

It wouldn't make sense if he turn to stone if he was metal and got melted and super-cooled. He would still be metal.

April 08, 2004 12:55PM
Though I am remembering a long way back, when Col. got heated up
then got the liquid gas poured on him I assumed his skin became "tempered"
like some materials do when they are rapidly cooled after heating.
I could see that stiffening his flesh so he couldn't move.
Metals also can become very brittle if tempered too much.
How did he get out of that state? I forgot.
April 08, 2004 04:20PM

Rogue absorbed his powers and turned to stone herself, that's another reason why Colossus wasn't encased in anything.

Peter reverted to human form. there are some more details but I can't recall all of them.

"To win without risk is to triumph without glory"
April 09, 2004 09:48AM
Believe or not, I read a book that had the powers of about 20 X-Men in it, and it said that only Colossus' skin changed.

I HAVE COME TO REAP THE SOULS OF THE LIVING!!!!!
And perhaps, order a burger.
Sera
April 09, 2004 05:30PM
I remember that Colossus is also immune to attacks such as Famine (one of the horsemen, way back then)... she tried to use her famine power on him, only to have the attack reverse itself to feed off her since as Iceman put it, "Colossus doesn't need to eat in his armored state"... or some such...

As for breathing, I have no idea if Colossus required it. In Ultimate X-Men, he can probably hold his breath for a long time though (went underwater to bring back the submarine)...
April 09, 2004 09:15PM
I'ts one of those thigns that changes with the writers, like Cyke's optic blasts (sometimes they do force/impact, sometimes heat, sometimes they shoot monkeys). However, I believe the vast majority of entires say his entire body turns to "organic osmium steel," so that's what I'd go with.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
April 10, 2004 07:13AM

Sweet.... optic MONKEY blasts. I imagine being pummelled by a solid stream, a veritable laser of monkeys, would be kind of demoralizing if anything else. If they didn't break on impact and bury you in an instant mound of monkey corpses, the monkeys could always just chuck poo at you too. The possibilities for fun and sudden monkey overpopulation are endless!

Feh.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.