Colossus, solid or coated?

Posted by MIC_Rulz 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Colossus, solid or coated?
April 06, 2004 08:45AM
I was revisiting Colossus' stats and realized I don't know if he's got a metal coating or if he's metal through and through. He's listed as having an Organic Steel body and he also does not have to eat, drink, or breathe while in this form. I'd like to say that he's metal to the core.

What do you think?

I also found that Osmium (one of the metals they think he resembles) is a real metal. It's the most dense metal on the planet and can resist being compressed better than diamond. Cool huh?

==
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur. (Translation: Everything said in Latin
sounds profound.)
Re: Colossus, solid or coated?
April 06, 2004 09:04AM
I believe that he was supposed to be solid metal, through and through,
as evidenced when Pete Wisdom injured him with a hot knife in Excalibur,
and he kinda "melted" and "bled metal".

Niniri
April 06, 2004 09:16AM
Definitely solid metal - his eyeballs can stop a .44 Magnum.

I believe it was demonstrated when he was injured by Riptide during the Mutant Massacre, too, and Magneto was able to keep him alive as long as he remained in steel form.

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
xmanalb
April 06, 2004 09:18AM
I believe it's a metal exoskeleton-like skin. This would explain why Madelyne Prior(using Pheonix-based powers) was able to wrench his guts while he was in armored form. He's soft inside.
April 06, 2004 09:24AM
If that's the case, I think they have his weight too low. I looked it up (I was bored and interested) and a 6 foot bronze statue weighs 500 lbs. A 6 foot osmium statue would weigh 1500 lbs. So I figure that Colossus would weigh about 1600 lbs.

Speaking of which, it's very difficult to find the weight of a statue. I had to look all over. I found one instance and it was burried with the trivia about a statue.

I don't suppose anyone would know the volume that Colossus takes up, do you? LOL.

==
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur. (Translation: Everything said in Latin
sounds profound.)
April 06, 2004 10:48AM
I just reread some stats. They also mention "carbon steel" which, if he's solid, then the 500 lbs would work just fine for that since it's just a bit lighter than bronze.

I'm just in a "geeking" mood today, don't mind me.

==
sounds profound.)
April 06, 2004 12:46PM
Sure don't, I know he's seven foot five in his armored form, guys.
Now, see if you can't dig up some specs on a body builder or wrestler
of large size...and compare... as that's the sorta build Petey-pie's got
when he's transformed...just my suggestions....

Niniri
April 06, 2004 12:48PM
Or that could've been psychosomatic pain for whatever form his internals
are in when he's stransformed into solid steel....

The brain will likely interpret things as what one can "feel"... and it could've
been some form of telepathic 'illusion' to make him feel that way.

It's pretty much a given that he's solid steel...

Niniri
Johnny1
April 06, 2004 12:53PM
They also say "Organic Steel" many times. Maybe it's strong like Osmium and light weight.
April 06, 2004 01:02PM
Johnny1, that sound most probable given comics.

I do know that Osmium is blue-white in color and that it's highly resistant to compression and heat. I do not know how impact resistant it is. I've seen mentioned that it's brittle.

For anyone wondering why bother? I'm just a big geek and wanted to learn more about metals. It started with "I wonder if Osmium is real?" LOL.

==
sounds profound.)
April 06, 2004 01:12PM
I think "Osmosium Steel Alloy" was just made-up to be the middle ground between "Titanium Steel Alloy" and "Secondary Adamantium".
April 06, 2004 01:49PM
sway, I don't doubt that. I was just impressed to discover that Osmium is, in fact, a real metal. Once that (my discovery) happened I was intrigued to learn more about this metal. It just kept leading me to another and another "ooh, what's that?..." :)

==
sounds profound.)
April 06, 2004 03:36PM
By the comics, Colossus is metal through out his body.

This was shown in Uncanny X-Men #191 where the vision had to change density to phase through him and then double density to split him into scrap metal.

Hope this helps.

"It doesn't matter if I win or lose. Just as long as I pissed you off" --- Morrigian, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
T.I. Monstrous
April 06, 2004 03:37PM
Therefore, for those of us who use True Invulnerability in their campaigns, what rank does anyone recommend that he have?
April 06, 2004 03:45PM
He doesn't have true invulnerability according to the comics. He had only BA.

"It doesn't matter if I win or lose. Just as long as I pissed you off" --- Morrigian, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
April 06, 2004 04:06PM
I also would rule against TI. I would just make his BA and other resistances apply to inside as well as outside.

==
sounds profound.)
April 07, 2004 06:02AM

Colossus also doesn't need to breathe in armored form, which would also suggest that he is solid metal.

"To win without risk is to triumph without glory"
April 07, 2004 09:39AM
Consumate wrote:

>
> Colossus also doesn't need to breathe in armored form, which
> would also suggest that he is solid metal.
>

Not neccessarily, He would not survived if submerge in water in armor form. Also, He barely survive being encased in concrete in an Old Uncanny X-Men back when Byrne and Claremont was writting it. If it wasn't for a crack in the encasement, he would have died due to suffication.

As a suggestion, research the older UNCANNY XMEN book for his stats. Some of the stuff I am seeing here is good for some of the alternate Universes type stuff like ONSLAUGHT and Ultimates, but it not for the mainstream colossus.

April 07, 2004 10:30AM
When did he lose the Self Sustenance?

Crap, I reread through things. In the Judge's book he has a "minimal need to breathe" but it also says he can hold his breath for an indefinite amount of time.
The marvel directory description is similar with "In the past he has exhibited a minimal or nonexistent need to breathe while in his armored state. However, it is believed that he could not survive for long in a vacuum. "
The uncannyxmen.net description lists it "mutant-exotic carbon-polymer flesh ... while making him virtually indestructible and capable of surviving without food or air"

I always based him on the one from the Mutant set where they gave him self-sustenance power. Why was this removed compeletely from the classic marvel write-up?

I liked the fact that he didn't need to eat/drink/breathe before. My house-rules will keep that ability.

==
sounds profound.)
Johnny1
April 07, 2004 11:48AM
Colossus doesn't need to breathe in armored form.

Uncanny X-Men #150 - I Magneto.

Colossus -
"One of our two survival kits was destroyed in the crash...
Leaving us with only four air packs. Fortunately in my armored form...
I do not need to breathe. My only worry underwater is rust."

And then he turned human and almost drowned!

:)

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.