Captain Marvel (DC)... another look?

Posted by CastleBravo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Captain Marvel (DC)... another look?
February 11, 2004 06:46PM
I've updated his talents based on the above.

I'm still not real settled on his FASE & power ranks. We know the following:

- Superman probably has more raw power than Captain Marvel. This is the general consensus, although their comic book encounters make this debatable (and even Superman seems to think so). My Shift-X for Strength and Endurance were based on the fact that the Superman writeup on this site has Superman with Shift-Y Endurance & Strength up to to Shift-Y as needed. These seem like HIGH figures, but we are talking about DC's heaviest hitters, and some have argued that Superman needs at least Shift-Z in each stat to be "accurate" in MSH.

- We also know that they are a close enough match-up in a straight up fight that who wins is NOT a foregone conclusion, even if we leave out Captain Marvel nailing Supes with magical lightning. Hence Captain Marvel can't be TOO much lower than Superman, with is pretty damn high even if you are conservative.

- This makes Captain Marvel having much lower fighting ability or hyper-speed powers seem unlikely, even though that is what the above write up suggests. Indeed, if we make Captain Marvel have lower Strength and Endurance, we almost HAVE TO raise his Fighting to make any fight close to "even."

So I dunno.

-The other big open question is what the heck to do about his "Wisdom of Solomon." Even in the comics, it doesn't seem too clear what it does. It doesn't seem to make him a genius in a scientific/knowledge/skill sense... he's not a Reed Richards who can bench-press a building. But that's what the write-up above suggests, so I dunno.

And can't Captain Marvel transport himself to the Rock of Eternity, too? What rank Dimension Travel would that be? Guess it depends on how long/hard a trip it is, dimension-wise.

On the upside, if we get a consensus on this, we've got Black Adam's new stats too.

Post Edited (02-11-04 18:14)
February 11, 2004 07:25PM

-Captain Marvel has no hyper-running type power listed. This seems wierd to me. His hyper-speed-based powers are much lower than Superman's, too, which I'm not sure fits into what we've seen in their fights (where neither one seems to have a quickness advantage).

The Speed Manipulation (supermobility, superactions) 8D each covers that. With Speed Manipulation (supermobility) 8D, running at 2,000 mph is a Very Easy task for him (1 success on a Physique/running check). If he gets 34 sccess on a Physique/flying check, he can fly at 400,000,00 mph (about 1/2 light speed).

Conversely, Supes, with Speed Manipulation (supermobility) 10D can, with 37 successes on a Physique/flying check, attain a flight speed of 1,000,000,000 mph (about 1.5 light speed).

[[ I may be slightly off, since it's been awhile since I've read the rules for Speed Manipulation, but I'm fairly certain that's right. ]]

Post Edited (02-11-04 18:26)

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
February 11, 2004 07:51PM
Those movement speeds are HUGE... that's Class 5000+ ground speed and Class 1000+ air speed for Captain Marvel according to the MSH Player's Book. :-o

Guess my writeup of his movement powers was pretty conservative, since they "only" go up to Shift-X when linked w/ Hyper-Speed... :-o:-o

So what do the lifting values correspond to in tons?

All powers also have the Enhancements: Magically Empowered [has a magical power source, but is not truly magical in nature].

This would tend to reinforce the idea that Superman's invulnerability is not negated by Captain Marvel's magical power source.

Post Edited (02-11-04 19:03)
February 11, 2004 09:04PM

So what do the lifting values correspond to in tons?

With a (total) Physique of 33D and a Physique/lifting of 34D, lifting 7,000 tons is a Very Easy task for Captain Marvel. If he gets lucky and gets 34 successes on his lifting roll, he can press 190,000 tons.

With a (total) Physique of 35D and a Physique/lifting of 36D, lifitng 7,000 tons is a Very Easy taks for Superman. If he gets lucky and gets 36 successes on his lifting roll, he can press 210,000 tons.

And before anyone says how "uber" the DCU scale is, I'm going to point out that the lifting values space out far better than in MSH. Essentially, it goes 20 lbs -- 50 lbs -- 100 lbs -- 200 lbs -- 400 lbs -- 1,000 lbs -- 1,500 lbs -- 1 ton -- 2 tons -- 3 tons -- 4 tons -- 5 tons -- 6 tons -- 7 tons -- 8 tons -- 9 tons -- 10 tons -- 20 tons -- 30 tons -- 40 tons -- 50 tons -- 100 tons -- 150 tons -- I'm stopping now...

This would tend to reinforce the idea that Superman's invulnerability is not negated by Captain Marvel's magical power source.

True, true, though it should at least be reduced somewhat -- CM's given Supes many a bloody nose, and whenever they fight Supes always thinks to himself that CM's magic-derived powers give him an edge. I'm fairly certain the demons, vampires and werewolves of the DCU have the same "magically empowered" enhancement on their abilities, and they're able to hurt Supes jut fine. I'll look it up tonight and see.

Post Edited (02-12-04 05:54)

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
February 12, 2004 08:19AM
WOW... those are some pretty high strength scores, too. Guess I shouldn't be surprised. :)

My physical stats are starting to look downright conservative. :bounce:

Post Edited (02-12-04 07:22)
February 12, 2004 08:35AM
How does this look as a Supes vs. Captain Marvel stat set? Not all powers are included, just ones they share so you can judge their relative power levels for correctness:

Captain Marvel:

F: Mn (75) A: Mn (75) S: Sh-X (150) E: Sh-X (150) R: Gd (10) I: Ex (20) P: Rm (30) H: 425 K: 60

Body Resistance: Mn (75)
Hyper-Speed: Am (50)
Hyper-Running: Un (100)
True Flight: Un (100) in atmosphere, Cl1000 in space.
-Hyper-Running and True Flight can be linked with Hyper-Speed to raise them to Sh-X (150) on a successful Endurance FEAT.

Superman:

F: In (40) A: Un (100) S: Un (100)* E: Sh-Y (300) R: Rm (30) I: Ex (20) P: Rm (30) H: 540 K: 80

*By tapping into his solar energies, he can raise this to Sh-Y (300) at will. Otherwise his Health advantage over Captain Marvel becomes too big. This is also how the writeup here treats his super-strength.

Body Resistance: Un (100)
Hyper-Speed: Am (50)
Hyper-Running: Sh-X (150)
True Flight: Sh-X (150) in atmosphere, Cl3000 in space
-Hyper-Running and True Flight can be linked with Hyper-Speed to raise them to Sh-Y (200) on a sucessful Endurance FEAT.

This would seem to give them combat parity, or fairly close to it, while still giving Superman more raw power and higher top speed. Their base Intuition and Psyche parity is based in part on the DC stats noted above.

Post Edited (02-12-04 07:38)
February 12, 2004 08:36AM
And there's at least one being who's actually stronger/tougher (i.e. higher Physique) than Superman -- Darkseid.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Captain Marvel; Supes; Dooms; 'Seid
February 12, 2004 03:59PM
Hi Castle Bravo mate! (and hello everyone else)

I always found the DC Heroes RPG better than the DC Universe RPG.

From that the physical stats are as follows:

Captain Marvel

Fighting: UN/100
Agility: S-X/150
Strength: S-X/150
Endurance: S-X/150

Health: 550

Invulnerability: UN/100

Power Reserve: Increase any ability by two ranks (or two seperate abilities by one rank).

Superman

Agility: S-Y/200
Strength: S-Y/200
Endurance: S-Y/200

Health: 700

Invulnerability: S-X/150
Heat Vision: S-X/150
Cold Breath: UN/100

Doomsday

Fighting: S-X/150
Endurance: S-Y/200

Health: 700

Regeneration: EX/20

Darkseid

Fighting: MN/75
Agility: S-Y/200

Health: 625

Regeneration: IN/40
Omega Effect: S-Z/500

Possible problems with the above stats are that even with the amazing stats above they don't account for Superman being able to survive explosions in the nuclear range.

One possible theory is that Class 1000 is for the multi-megaton range; and Shift-Z/500 would work for explosions in the kiloton range.

Another problem is that Darkseid (and therefore indirectly by extension Superman and Doomsday) should really be in the same sort of range as Odin, something the above stats really don't account for.

I'm not totally sure one way or the other but those are the most accurate I have come up with to date.

You address OMNIPOTENCE, tread carefully.
February 12, 2004 04:13PM
Maybe trying to kill Superman with a nuke is a bit like trying to kill me by throwing a really big ham sandwich at me. Hydrogen bombs are powered by the same types of fusion reactions that the sun is.

And if you mean Superman getting nuked in The Dark Knight Returns, that story is outside mainstream DC continuity. I've lost track of him getting nuked elsewhere. :bounce:

One other thing is, I don't think these translations to the Marel stat for "Fighting" are necessarily Kosher. Fighting in Marvel is supposed to reflect ability and skill, not physical power/raw speed, so Superman doesn't merit huge Fighting in my mind based on what he does in the comics. He doesn't exhibit HUGE skill/talent at fighting; he's just got so much power that it doesn't matter.

Post Edited (02-12-04 15:17)
February 12, 2004 07:27PM
Mmmm... ham sandwich.... *drools*

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
February 12, 2004 07:44PM
Or maybe nuclear weapons just aren't that powerful. They don't need to be in the Cl1000 range - all the evidence is that Adamantium can survive a nuclear blast. And, yes, I am referring to that Venom comic. No matter how much it may have sucked, it still makes a case for Adamantium vs Nukes.

Is there any evidence that any part of a nuclear attack inflicts damage out of the Shift range?

I like the 'combination of effects' theory. I'd say a nuclear warhead is a number of simultaneous attacks - shockwave, heat, radiation - all at ranks between Monstrous and about SH-Y. After all, there were fragments of walls left standing in Hiroshima, suggesting that Little Boy the baby nuke probably only did about Incredible to Amazing damage to property.

This way a nuke is still absolutely lethal to anyone who doesn't have serious invulnerability, but it's still possible for characters such as Superman to survive it. It also takes into account the differing ranges of the various attacks (I believe the shockwave travels furthest, the heat the least).

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
February 12, 2004 08:34PM
Actually, it is the other way 'round...

[nuclearweaponarchive.org]

Air is essentially transparent to thermal radiation. The thermal radiation affects exposed surfaces, producing damage by rapid heating. A bomb that is 100 times larger can produce equal thermal radiation intensities over areas 100 times larger. The area of an (imaginary) sphere centered on the explosion increases with the square of the radius. Thus the destructive radius increases with the square root of the yield (this is the familiar inverse square law of electromagnetic radiation). Actually the rate of increase is somewhat less, partly due to the fact that larger bombs emit heat more slowly which reduces the damage produced by each calorie of heat. It is important to note that the area subjected to damage by thermal radiation increases almost linearly with yield.

Blast effect is a volume effect. The blast wave deposits energy in the material it passes through, including air. When the blast wave passes through solid material, the energy left behind causes damage. When it passes through air it simply grows weaker. The more matter the energy travels through, the smaller the effect. The amount of matter increases with the volume of the imaginary sphere centered on the explosion. Blast effects thus scale with the inverse cube law which relates radius to volume.

The intensity of nuclear radiation decreases with the inverse square law like thermal radiation. However nuclear radiation is also strongly absorbed by the air it travels through, which causes the intensity to drop off much more rapidly.

These scaling laws show that the effects of thermal radiation grow rapidly with yield (relative to blast), while those of radiation rapidly decline.

In the Hiroshima attack (bomb yield approx. 15 kt) casualties (including fatalities) were seen from all three causes. Burns (including those caused by the ensuing fire storm) were the most prevalent serious injury (two thirds of those who died the first day were burned), and occurred at the greatest range. Blast and burn injuries were both found in 60-70% of all survivors. People close enough to suffer significant radiation illness were well inside the lethal effects radius for blast and flash burns, as a result only 30% of injured survivors showed radiation illness. Many of these people were sheltered from burns and blast and thus escaped their main effects. Even so, most victims with radiation illness also had blast injuries or burns as well.

With yields in the range of hundreds of kilotons or greater (typical for strategic warheads) immediate radiation injury becomes insignificant. Dangerous radiation levels only exist so close to the explosion that surviving the blast is impossible. On the other hand, fatal burns can be inflicted well beyond the range of substantial blast damage. A 20 megaton bomb can cause potentially fatal third degree burns at a range of 40 km, where the blast can do little more than break windows and cause superficial cuts.

The breakdown of energy type released by a nuke by % is as follows:

Low Yield (<100 kt) High Yield (>1 Mt)
Thermal Radiation 35% 45%
Blast Wave 60% 50%
Ionizing Radiation 5% 5%
(80% gamma, 20% neutrons)

The radioactive decay of fallout releases an additional 5-10% over time.

With this info you could probably model a nuke's effects pretty well in MSH terms if you were motivated to do so.

Is there any evidence that any part of a nuclear attack inflicts damage out of the Shift range?

I like the 'combination of effects' theory. I'd say a nuclear warhead is a number of simultaneous attacks - shockwave, heat, radiation - all at ranks between Monstrous and about SH-Y. After all, there were fragments of walls left standing in Hiroshima, suggesting that Little Boy the baby nuke probably only did about Incredible to Amazing damage to property.

This way a nuke is still absolutely lethal to anyone who doesn't have serious invulnerability, but it's still possible for characters such as Superman to survive it.

By the way, I agree 100% with this. Unless you are sitting right inside the casing of a fusion bomb, I don't think you need Class 1000 effects to explain everything a nuke does. Remember, "normal" man-made materials only go up to Unearthly. Hit a hunk of Unearthly material with multiple Shift-X+ sources of damage, and you'll break it.

Meanwhile, my (arguably UNDERPOWERED) Superman writeup has 540 health and Unearthly body resistance. If he took Shift-X radiation, blast and heat damage (3x150=450 damage) and his Body Resistance did nothing against any of the 3 damage sources (unlucky day maybe?), he'd still expect to live, but be hurt REALLY bad. And of course he'd be at a risk for a stun/slam/kill on a red result.

My Captain Marvel writeup could *conceiveably* survive a nuke modeled that way, too, but has less margin for bad luck with only Monstrous body resistance and 425 health instead of 540.

Naturally, if we gave these characters Total Invulnerability instead of the more conservative Body Resistance they'd survive easily, since you'd shift everything a bunch of column shifts lower.

Post Edited (02-12-04 19:58)
Darth Sinistus
February 13, 2004 08:31AM
*applauds*:bow:
Lower powered nukes = lower powered Odin?
February 13, 2004 11:49AM
Hi guys!

One 'catch 22' in converting DC characters is that if we lower nuclear weapon damage (I agree with you and Wallace about nuclear weapons) to allow the characters to survive it, how do we account for the fact that essentially Darkseid should be roughly equal with Odin (Skyfathers) in terms of power!?

Then you realise that Superman rivals Darkseid (physically at least) so by extension Odin again.

Additionally whatever stats we apply to Superman affect Captain Marvel.

I mean you could easily convert upper limit versions to:

Superman

Agility: S-Z/500
Strength: S-Z/500
Endurance: S-Z/500

Health: 1600

Captain Marvel

Health: 600
Invulnerability: UN/100
Power Reserve: +2 ranks to any single ability or +1 rank to any two abilities.

February 13, 2004 12:09PM
What is the justification for giving Captain Marvel a Power Reserve ability? With that power he can get Class 1000 strength or Shift-Z endurance (and stronger than Superman, by the way).

One 'catch 22' in converting DC characters is that if we lower nuclear weapon damage (I agree with you and Wallace about nuclear weapons) to allow the characters to survive it, how do we account for the fact that essentially Darkseid should be roughly equal with Odin (Skyfathers) in terms of power!?

Simple: the conversion is flawed. Or more accurately, the systems aren't interchangeable by a simple formula. Superman doesn't merit Unearthly fighting if we go by what Fighting is supposed to be in MSH, for instance.

Another problem: in JLA/Avengers, Superman and Thor are close in terms of power level. Superman is more powerful, but he isn't orders of magnitude more powerful like these writeups suggest. Giving him Shift-Z everything (and raising Captain Marvel et. al.'s powers accordingly) may simply be the wrong/inaccurate approach. Maybe Supes strength IS "only" Shift-Y, but he's got Class 3000 teleknesis at contact range for lifting objects. That way his punches don't insta-kill Thor, but he can still lift huge amounts.

It also solves the issue of Superman's health getting WAAAAY higher than Captain Marvel's by being a higher Shift-whatever ability score. Going from Unearthly to Shift-X adds 50 health. Going from Shift-X to Shift-Y adds 150 health. Going from Shift-Y to Shift-Z adds 200 health.

Post Edited (02-13-04 11:14)
firebomb
February 13, 2004 02:29PM

> Is there any evidence that any part of a nuclear attack inflicts damage
> out of the Shift range?

Huh... that is a good question. I always thought a nuclear bomb did Shift Z damage, from some official source somewhere, but I can't seem to locate it offhand. So, looking in the Judge's book, it describes the radiation of an A-bomb blast as Monstrous (75).

Now this may just be the old-style A-bombs, and not the current, much higher yield nuc-u-lar thingers, so who knows how relevant this really is... but it may add food for thought. Now, if I could figure out where I read that 'z' rating (or determine when I made that up or something) ...hm.
February 13, 2004 02:33PM
Thank you Castle for explaining that to him.

DC character conversion to Marvel is one of the hardest things to do since there are no such things like Karma, Benchmarks, Death, etc. in DC heroes. Stats here are based more so on comic and reasonable playability in the current Marvel system.

&quot;It doesn't matter if I win or lose. Just as long as I pissed you off&quot; --- Morrigian, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
February 13, 2004 03:49PM
>>>DC character conversion to Marvel is one of the hardest things to do since there are no such things like Karma, Benchmarks, Death, etc. in DC heroes. Stats here are based more so on comic and reasonable playability in the current Marvel system.<<<

Actually, Hero Points, Villain Points, and Character Points (in WEG's DCU RPG) can be used much the same way Karma can be.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
February 13, 2004 03:51PM
I'm starting to suspect that the stat & power intensities could be endlessly debated. I personally feel pretty good about my stats, given what has been talked about at this point, so I'm probably going to stick to them unless somebody has a REALLY compelling argument to the contrary.

I guess the questions on my mind at this point are:

- Does my Captain Marvel writeup represent the "Wisdom of Solomon" properly? Do we want to give him Hyper-Reason instead of, or in addition to, Hyper-Intuition? My gut feeling is to stick to Hyper-Intuition since that ability is more like "Wisdom" versus smarts, and Captain Marvel isn't going Reed Richards left and right in the comics.

-Am I missing any of Captain Marvel's powers? I think I need to add some kind of Dimension Travel to the Rock of Eternity, but at what power rank & does it include other dimensions? I assume it is infallible...?

I think this is also going to lead to a complimentary Superman writeup, since so much of the discussion has focused on getting their relative power levels to be Kosher. Which would probably open a whole other can of worms, but what the heck. :)
February 14, 2004 12:45PM
Hi Castle Bravo mate!

Maybe trying to kill Superman with a nuke is a bit like trying to kill me by throwing a really big ham sandwich at me. Hydrogen bombs are powered by the same types of fusion reactions that the sun is.

He doesn't absorb shockwaves or even fire. He absorbs solar radiation.

And if you mean Superman getting nuked in The Dark Knight Returns, that story is outside mainstream DC continuity. I've lost track of him getting nuked elsewhere.

He gets nuked in Superman/Doomsday: Hunter/Prey. He also gets nuked on a few other occasions but they have slipped my mind.

One other thing is, I don't think these translations to the Marel stat for "Fighting" are necessarily Kosher. Fighting in Marvel is supposed to reflect ability and skill, not physical power/raw speed, so Superman doesn't merit huge Fighting in my mind based on what he does in the comics. He doesn't exhibit HUGE skill/talent at fighting; he's just got so much power that it doesn't matter.

LOL! :)

On the surface I agree with you (see my thread about how Fighting and Agility should be Talents) - however in the MSH RPG, Fighting ability does actually take into account superhuman abilities - check the benchmarks.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.