Gladiator - typical or exception?

Posted by Roughshod 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Roughshod
Gladiator - typical or exception?
February 07, 2004 07:12PM
I was going through my old comics today when I came across the issue where Gladiator fights Supreme. Written by Keith Giffen, it's not bad.
However, it got me wondering - does anyone know what race Gladiator is, and whether or not he's a typical member of that race? He's clearly not a Shi'ar, but he's the head of the Praetorian Guard.
Along those lines, does anyone know if Gladiator's race are vassals of the Shi'ar Empire?
Re: Gladiator - typical or exception?
February 07, 2004 07:43PM
Good question. I don't think that's ever been dealt with or written about. Of course, someone here will correct me if I'm wrong though.:)

February 07, 2004 08:07PM
Erased as I was wrong. It says in his bio he's NOT Shi'ar.

Post Edited (02-07-04 19:09)

DG X(

Marvel > DC
Roughshod
February 07, 2004 08:21PM
Yeah. I guess I'm just wondering if his entire race is like him (a la Kryptonians, Daxamites, etc.) or if he's superpowered even for whatever race he is.
Branigan
February 09, 2004 01:27AM
i think he was a "typical' being of his race. probably a great warrior amongst his people, but i think they all had his powers. he was from a race called "Strontians" and the only other "Strontian" i've seen was a woman named Xenith who was a teammate with Silver Surfer, Beta Ray Bill and Quasar in the short-lived outer space team the Star Masters which was written by the late Mark Gruenwald.

hope that helps a bit
Branigan
February 09, 2004 02:00AM
actually, here's a link:
[www.marvunapp.com]
February 09, 2004 02:23AM
Heh. Okay, that's kind of cool. You'd think SS would be used to questions like that, though.

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
Roughshod
February 09, 2004 05:46AM
So every single Strontian has some degree of Superman-like powers? And they don't need to hang around a particular sun to do it? That's kind of cool, actually.
Maybe the next time the student of anatomical correctness can ask her cousin why she has real hair and he has that weird plastic mohawk on top of his head.
Anyone want to give a shot at the "typical" Strontian stats?
February 09, 2004 03:52PM
I think he was atypical to his race due to his limitation of powers...which is himself. I believe that others of his race did not have a mental block over their power like Gladiator.

For those who are not familiar with Gladiator, Gladiator pretty much can do any feat with in his powers just as long as he thinks he can. There has been many of times that people talk Gladiator out of doing Superman type feats in the comic. However, I don't think that this limitation is inhereited by race.

"It doesn't matter if I win or lose. Just as long as I pissed you off" --- Morrigian, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
February 09, 2004 04:00PM
I don't think this power (being able to do anything he thinks he can do) is inherent to the race. I suspect they're a race of high-level superhumans, who probably all have around Amazing Strength and Endurance, but Gladiator is his species' equivalent to Captain America. In addition to which, it's been stated that his powers are partially psionic and partially technological; presumably these aspects account for the self-belief boosts.

Otherwise, his species would be ruling the Shi'ar, and not the other way round.

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
Roughshod
February 09, 2004 08:43PM
Ah, but are they actually ruled by the Shi'ar, or did Gladiator just decide to go to work for them?
warhammer
February 10, 2004 10:34PM
Wallace,

I know that it has been said that Gladiators powers MAY be technologically enhanced, but has this been stated definately anywhere? The psionic portion of his powers is well documented, vis a vis his ''weakness'' where if he loses faith in his abilitys, his abilitys actually go down.

warhammer out...

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.