Jean Grey's Powers

Posted by Vik Leroy 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Jean Grey's Powers
December 11, 2003 08:19AM
Where are the descriptions of the Jean Grey's (Phoenix) Powers :
- Force Bolt
- Thought Projection
- Mental command
- Mental Bolt

What's the difference between Force Bolt and Mental Bolt ?

I don't find them in the UPB nor player's screen.

Thanks
Vik
Re: Jean Grey's Powers
December 11, 2003 09:01AM

Force bolt is like a telekinetic push. a "bolt of force" a physical attack that can affect organic and inorganic objects.

Mental bolt is a direct attack towards the mind of a person, animal etc. it does not manifest itself in the physical world.

"To win without risk is to triumph without glory"
December 11, 2003 01:18PM
Yeah, what he said. And since Mental Bolts are purely mental, Body Armor/Body Resistance does nada to stop them.

I think Mental Bolts also do 'Karma' Damage, not Health Damage -- i.e. they subtract their rank from the target's Karma (initial RIP Karma), and once that goes to 0, the poor mook is KO'd.

Post Edited (12-11-03 12:19)

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Epyon
December 11, 2003 01:59PM
I assume a psi-shield operates as a force field against mental bolts?
December 11, 2003 03:37PM
I'm fairly certain that's the case, yes.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
December 11, 2003 04:04PM
Since when does a person collapse at 0 karma, Doc? Punisher would faint left and right.

Here's what the player's book says.

"Characters with telepathy may develop
Power Stunts, including:
• Using the telepathic "push" as a bolt of
mental force of Power rank range and
damage, using the Energy attack
column."

Dave's book supports this. Karma draining powers weren't added until the UPB updates.

Post Edited (12-11-03 15:22)
December 11, 2003 08:29PM
That's why I prefaced my statement with "initial RIP Karma", essentially using that instead of the FASE-derived Health. Essentially, using initial Karma as "Mental Health."

If what you say's true (and I've no reason to doubt it), then this was obviously a house-rule I'd implemented.....

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
December 11, 2003 09:02PM
Must be, but there could be some characters written up that way as well. But not Jean Grey, this thread's topic.

Post Edited (12-12-03 16:13)
December 11, 2003 09:58PM
House rules add to the fun of the game Herr Doktor.

*Twitches as he tries to expel the Hypnochip*
December 11, 2003 10:24PM
The Mental Health stat is definitely a house rule. I can't recall ever seeing anything official about taking mental damage from your initial karma total.

MSH Classic RPG System
[rivendell.fortunecity.com]
December 11, 2003 11:55PM
Right, well, chalk it up to me fast-forwarding in time to the point where I'm hopped up on valium (which I will be in less than 8 hours as I get my wisdom teeth cut out of my head).

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
warhammer
December 12, 2003 02:28AM
OUWCHHH!!!:-o:-o
December 12, 2003 05:14PM
Good luck, Doc. Sounds like quite a painful task.
December 12, 2003 09:35PM
Actually, it turned out rather well -- all three wisdom teeth came out intact, so I gott o keep 'em, and though I'm in very minimal pain, the doc gave me some Endocet (generic version of Percocet) to ease he pain (which should increase steadily up to the 3rd day, then begin tapering down). In the meantime, I'm on a diet of applesauce, cottage cheese, various soups, and orange sherbert.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
December 13, 2003 03:29PM
Now, if the doctor had actually been Jean Grey, she could have used her telepathy to cut off your pain responses and fill your head with happy-happy visions, and then yanked your teeth with her telekinesis. Thus removing the need for anaesthesia and the sterilisation of tools.

Apropos of very little indeed.

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
December 13, 2003 09:24PM
But I like the anesthetics & the Percocet....

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
December 14, 2003 02:31PM
Yes, but wouldn't you rather have a hot redhead filling your head with... *achem*... happy-happy visions?

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
December 14, 2003 08:45PM
Hrm....... *ponders*

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
December 15, 2003 11:12AM
That's why I prefaced my statement with "initial RIP Karma", essentially using that instead of the FASE-derived Health. Essentially, using initial Karma as "Mental Health."

I dunno. Doom has some impressive mental stats, but I would question any mental health rating higher than 2.

Jesus Saves! The rest of you take damage.
December 15, 2003 12:07PM
Why? Under that system, a Fb/2 Mental Bolt would KO anyone....

Post Edited (12-15-03 11:08)

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.