Sandman, etc

Posted by Spirit 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Sandman, etc
November 12, 2003 07:24PM
Ty, I couldn't find The Sandman or any of his siblings/supporting characters at your site. I found Cain and Abel, something about the Dream realm, but that's all.
Are they there somewhere? I know they're not here.
I just started reading the Sandman trades and was wondering how the characters look statwise.

Re: Sandman, etc
November 12, 2003 08:48PM
Spirit,

I feel your pain. I've been trying to convence Ty to write up the Endless for a couple of months now.

I found these stats on the Nuter World site:

The SANDMAN
Morpheus/Lord of the Dreaming
Fighting: TY (6)
Agility: EX (20)
Strength: TY (6)
Endurance: RM (30)
Reason: RM (30)

Intuition: UN (100)
Psyche: SH X (150)
Health: 62
Resources: SH 0 (0)
Popularity: 100 (In Dream Dimension)

Abilities-

Cosmic Awareness: AM (50)
Dimensional Aperture: UN (100)
Magic Power Simulation: CL 1000

Talents-

Occult
Area Knowledge (Dream Dimension)

Advantages-

Endless Existence: As one of the Endless he is a mystical being. His physical body is merely a shell and is inconsequential to his existence. If he could sustain enough physical damage to kill him, his physical form would simply disperse and reform a new body if he wants the next round. He must be destroyed with mystical or mental damage.
Equipment-

Pouch of Sleep Dust (MN material strength, Mesmerism: MN (75), Sense-Magic: AM (50), Magic Power Simulation: IN (40))
Helmet (UN material strength, Sandman's badge of office, with it he can visit other mystical realms with impunity as an official envoy)
Ruby (AM material strength, wielder receives +1 CS Psyche) -destroyed

Contacts-

The Endless (Sandman is one of the seven beings known as the Endless. The others are Destiny, Death, Desire, Despair, Destruction and Delirium. They are living embodiments of their names and incomprehensibly powerful.)
Earth's Mystical Community
Hell

Morpheus is the only Endless whose been written up for Marvel that I've found. Destiny and Death are written up for DC Heroes on this site:

[www.geocities.com]

Maybe if you petition Ty directly, he'd do the writeups. E-mail him through the link on his site.

If anyone else has Endless stats, please post them. I'm glad I'm not the only Sandman fan who wants to see more writeups.
November 12, 2003 09:17PM
Thanks for all of that. I just started reading the series and that helps me out quite a bit.

I'm quite surprised Ty hasn't done it yet, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually.

I'm into issue 8 now, good stuff.

November 12, 2003 09:53PM
It's not that I have anything against the Sandman as to why I haven't done stats. A couple reasons why I haven't would be the way DC does it's magic in the game.

The Sorcery power lets you do any power as a spell. Sandman and other types are given 20, 30 or more APs of this power. Going with CL. 1000 Magical Power Simulation isn't quite how Marvel does it though. Plus usually the DC character will have other powers listed at a lower AP level than Sorcery, leaving me to say why can he do everything at this massive rank and these other things at a lower one? Also I am not real up on the Sandman comic-book wise.

Those stats Dr. Cripple posted look pretty close to what I would go with for abilities and ranks. I commented to him that while I don't remember doing the Sandman before, this writeup is done the same way I post things on my site.

Also, all the members of the Endless do not have DC Heroes stats as far as I can tell. I tend to get more stuff done when people ask me to so maybe I'll get motivated to writeup the Sandman.

MSH Classic RPG System
[rivendell.fortunecity.com]
November 13, 2003 12:23AM
S P O I L E R S

Spoiler space

Nearly there

First of all, it should be born in mind that the Endless are more powerful than Gods. It's strongly implied that the only two beings in existence more powerful than Dream are Lucifer and the Presence/One Above All/God. Death is going to be the last being in the universe. All of them can warp reality and influence minds with a thought, although they seldom do so.

Dream's Endurance should be at least Unearthly, and probably Cl1000 or greater. He doesn't sleep, he doesn't tire. He spent eighty years in a box, watching his captors.

Dream has implied that he's a master of multiple forms of combat, where 'forms' means such things as storytelling, reality-shaping, magic and telepathy. I suspect it also includes physical combat; although he'd rather negotiate, or utilise other powers, I would be surprised if Dream's Fighting score were below Remarkable, and probably Monstrous.

His Reason is beyond human understanding. At least Monstrous, although his 'emotional intelligence' would probably be lower. Feeble, if you ask his elder sister.

His Psyche - he's a being of more than Godlike power. I'd give him Cl1000 without even thinking about it.

His Resources - he can create anything he wants. He's the ruler of perhaps the biggest and most complicated realm in the multiverse (for every being has its dreams). Cl1000 Resources were made for Dream.

And his powers. Firstly, as mentioned, he can do pretty much anything he wants to do, although he seldom does. The laws of physics are something he obeys when he remembers. I'd give him:

Immortality: Cl1000. Dream can be killed only if he chooses to accept an end to his current state.

Serial Immortality: Cl1000. No matter what happens, as long as their are sentient beings, there will be a Dream. The new Dream will know everything his predecessor knew, remember his every experience, but will not be him.

Omnipotence: Dream can use any power in the Ultimate Powers Book at Unearthly rank. When in the Dreaming, which he can enter with Cl1000 ability, this power is raised to Cl1000 rank. Powers commonly used include:
-Linguistics: Dream can communicate with anything.
-Appearance Alteration: Dream's appearance shifts constantly, according to his mood. Also, beings of different species will always perceive him differently.
-Mind Control: Sometimes, Dream has patience with the ways of Mortals. More often, he just tells them what he wants, and they do it.
-Teleportation: Dream can appear more or less wherever he wants, within the Earthly plane at least. This power could also be described as Telereformation, since he reforms his body out of the stuff of dreams.
-True Sight: It's almost impossible to fool Dream. He can always spot slumming Gods and hidden wizards.
-Dream Control: Even from the Waking World, Dream can give people dreams and then control them.
-Regeneration: Facing the Corinthian, Dream took a knife through the hand without noticing or suffering any ill effects.

Environmental Awareness/Control: Wherever he is, Dream is linked to the Dreaming. He and it are reflections of one another, and when one is affected, so is the other. Dream will not be hurt by damage to his realm, but he will be aware of it. It will probably make him very, very angry. On the other hand, without his presence to maintain it, the Dreaming will gradually fall into decay. When he's unhappy, it rains. When he wants to be alone, his Castle relocates itself somewhere hard to reach. And he knows everything that happens within his realm. Everything.

Stats, really, should be unnecessary.

-Wal

Post Edited (11-12-03 23:27)

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
November 13, 2003 06:43AM
Eh, the same could be said for Mephisto or the Celstials, but they've got stats ;-)

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
November 13, 2003 06:16PM
True, Doc, but they're not as complicated as the whole DC Endless Ones thing is.

Still, on that note, here's two of his nearest Marvel equals:

[www.classicmarvel.com]

[www.norse-man.net]

Not really the same, though.

I like Wal's suggestions; he is a cosmic-type being. His stats should resemble Mephisto or Nightmare's power-wise from what I've read so far.

Spectre's power levels look about right for Dream [www.classicmarvel.com]

I look forward to your eventual write-up, Ty. Thanks for responding, too.

November 13, 2003 08:16PM
Very true, and I do agree with Wallace's points.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
November 14, 2003 10:58AM
The most telling aspect of Morpheus's character that Wallace points out is his "Feeble Emotional Intelligence," according to Death. Although the Endless are vertually all-powerful, they each have querks that define their personallities. That's why I think writing them up is a good idea. I mean the TSR people actually wrote up stats on the Beyonder, and he's theoretically more powerful than the individual Endless anyway.

spoilers follow

Some things to keek in mind when writing up the Endless: Delirum was once Delight. Despair is not the first Despair. One should also consider why Destruction left his realm, and one should remember that Death expands a plenary portion of herself into human form for twenty four hours once every century to better understand the living. In human form, she losses her powers if she is separated from her ankh, until she empowers another anch. She also "deputised" her sisters as emisaries of Death with ankhs in "At Death's Door." These instances may give some clues to the anthrapromorphic qualities of the Endless' powers.

Post Edited (11-14-03 18:33)
November 14, 2003 01:10PM
[[ ankh, not anch ]]

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
Re: Sandman Stats
November 15, 2003 01:45PM
I took the stats from that other website and the notes Wallace posted above with a few changes/additions of my own to come up with this writeup.

The SANDMAN
Morpheus/Lord of the Dreaming

F- MN (75)
A- EX (20)
S- EX (20)
E- UN (100)
R- UN (100)
I- UN (100)
P- CL. 1000
H- 215
K- 1,200
R- CL. 1000
P- 100 in the Dream Dimension

Endless Existence: As one of the Endless he is a mystical entity, not a living being. His physical body is merely a shell and is inconsequential to his existence. If he could sustain enough physical damage to kill him, his physical form would simply disperse and reform a new body if he wants the next round. He must be destroyed with mystical or mental damage.

Powers: Cosmic Awareness UN
Dimension Travel CL. 1000

Immortality
Dream can be killed only if he chooses to accept an end to his current state.

Serial Immortality - Spontaneous Creation CL. 1000.
No matter what happens, as long as their are sentient beings, there will be a Dream. The new Dream will know everything his predecessor knew, remember his every experience, but will not be him.

Omnipotence
Dream can use any power in the Ultimate Powers Book at Unearthly rank. When in the Dreaming, which he can enter with CL. 1000 ability, this power is raised to CL. 1000 rank. This ability is a manipulation of "dream stuff." He cannot mimic a power or ability that he cannont pull out of a dream of a living being. Powers commonly used include:

Linguistics: Dream can communicate with anything.

Appearance Alteration: Dream's appearance shifts constantly, according to his mood. Also, beings of different species will always perceive him differently.

Mind Control: Sometimes, Dream has patience with the ways of Mortals. More often, he just tells them what he wants, and they do it.

Teleportation: Dream can appear more or less wherever he wants, within the Earthly plane at least. This power could also be described as Telereformation, since he reforms his body out of the stuff of dreams.

True Sight: It's almost impossible to fool Dream. He can always spot slumming Gods and hidden wizards.

Dream Control: Even from the Waking World, Dream can give people dreams and then control them.

Regeneration: Facing the Corinthian, Dream took a knife through the hand without noticing or suffering any ill effects.

Environmental Awareness/Control
Wherever he is, Dream is linked to the Dreaming. He and it are reflections of one another, and when one is affected, so is the other. Dream will not be hurt by damage to his realm, but he will be aware of it. It will probably make him very, very angry. On the other hand, without his presence to maintain it, the Dreaming will gradually fall into decay. When he's unhappy, it rains. When he wants to be alone, his Castle relocates itself somewhere hard to reach. And he knows everything that happens within his realm. Everything.

Equipment: Pouch of Sleep Dust
UN material strength
Hypnotic Control CL. 1000
Detect Magic UN
Any character put to sleep by the dust is instantly transported to the Dreaming. Hypnosis can only be used to put a target to sleep.

Helmet
UN material strength
This is the Sandman's badge of office, with it he can visit other mystical realms with impunity as an official envoy.

Dreamstone Ruby
AM material strength
Doctor Destiny once used the ruby to power his Materioptikon. He manipulated the Dreamstone, forcing flaws and adding circuitry, until it was attuned to him and not the Sandman. Morpheus was imprisoned by the Daemon King at the time, and was unaware of what Destiny was doing and unable to stop or prevent it.

Talents: Occult.
Contacts: The Endless (Sandman is one of the seven beings known as the Endless. The others are Destiny, Death, Desire, Despair, Destruction and Delirium. They are living embodiments of their names and incomprehensibly powerful.)
Earth's Mystical Community, Hell.

MSH Classic RPG System
Re: Sandman Stats
November 17, 2003 04:52PM
Awesome, Ty.
Looks great, though I'd give him Cl1000 endurance just to even him up w/ Mephisto, Watcher and those other cosmic people. But that's just me. The first power you mention kind of covers it either way.

Your write-up repesents the comic character very well. Thanks for doing it.

November 17, 2003 06:13PM
Thanks for the comments Spirit. Especially the part about representing the comic character well.

I've started the ground work (getting pix and background) for the rest of the Endless. I'll be looking for help from Dr. Cripple and anyone else with knowledge of them.

With the Sandman, there's a lot of stats that could be changed I think. Does he really need MN Fighting? That's what Galactus has even though there isn't many occasions he actually slugs someone. Certainly CL. 1000 Endurance isn't out of the question.

Should Death from the Endless be the same as Marvel's Death? All CL. 5000? There are DC Heroes stats for Dream, Destiny and Death. All three are given the same physical (Dex, Str, Body) stats -- 5, 5, 9 respectively. They are all given Awareness, Dimension Travel and Sorcery as the only power listed, although it says Death can use any ability or power at 75 APs (have to be CL. 5000) when she is there to take someone's life. These three have mental stats that are all very close as well.

I have found Vampire the Masquerade stats for all of the Endless on a website, though they probably won't help me a whole lot.

Any help with the rest of this family would be good.

MSH Classic RPG System
November 17, 2003 06:38PM
V:tM stats for Death & the Endless? That's all sorts of freaky... mind sharing a link?

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
November 17, 2003 07:05PM
Those are pretty tough issues.

I'd say DC Death would be closer to your Sandman than Marvel Death because Marvel Death seems all-power, bowing to nobody. DC Death, as far as I can tell, appears to be part of a much larger group of equals.

November 17, 2003 08:05PM
Yeah, but when all those equals are older than God......

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
November 17, 2003 08:33PM
Gods aren't too impressive in Marvel, compared to Galactus and such.

Remember, I've only read 10 or so Sandman issues. But DC Death seemed nowhere near as awe-inspiring as Marvel Death.

Cuter, though. ;-)

November 17, 2003 09:06PM
I didn't says gods. I said God. GOD.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
November 17, 2003 09:07PM
I know. :hot:

November 17, 2003 09:42PM
okay :bounce:

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.