Rogue vs Ms. Marvel vs Rogue vs Ms... ahh forget it!

Posted by The_Threat 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Rogue vs Ms. Marvel vs Rogue vs Ms... ahh forget it!
August 14, 2003 02:25AM
I remember the first time reading about Rogue in the Official Handbook to the MU. Rogue was always one of my favorite x-men. I was eager to see an explanation of her powers (or as much of an explanation as possible).

According to the OHTMU, Rogue's absorption power works on a 60 to 1 basis. meaning that 1 second of contact gives 1 minute of absorption. An important part was "for unknown reasons, rogue permanently absorbed the powers of Ms. marvel".

Ahhh, all seemed right in the world. I figured that Ms M. had a cetain Je ne Sais Quoi, to her metabolism that made Rogue's power act funky. Rogue normally does not have the power to permanently absorb another's powers.

The I bought my first Adavanced MSHRPG, read her description and it basicly gave a blueprint to how she could steal ANYONE'S powers permanently!!!!!!
I thought this was wacko and inconsistent with the comics and with the Handbook.

A flutter of thoughts came to mind... She could have permanently absorbed the power of thor (see avengers annual 10). Why didn't Mystique order rogue to try again on other heroes so that she built up an arsenal of power? Mystique had ordered Rogue to start 'sorbing Avengers (again in AA#10)

Then my world got even more complex after I bought my copy of Avengers Coast to Coast and saw Ms. marvel's Stats. How on Earth did Rogue get stuck with GD Endurance if Ms. M gets Inc? I thought. Rogue also gets talents and memoies, her FASE stats should mirror Ms. Marvel's.

Someday there will be no racism.
Thats the day aliens will attack.
Then we will all hate green people.
Re: Rogue vs Ms. Marvel vs Rogue vs Ms... ahh forget it!
August 14, 2003 03:25AM
On the last question... yeah. Rogue should definitely have had higher Endurance, and probably Fighting as well. That she doesn't is one of the most obvious signs of the X-Men's deliberate under-statting in the earlier stages of the game.

A Dragon Magazine article stated that without her powers (in the Savage Land with Magneto) Rogue had Gd Strength (unlikely with her build, but possibly a trace remnant of her old powers) and Rm Endurance - so presumably by then they'd realised that she should have a higher Endurance.

-Wal

Surrender? What? You think this letter on my head stands for FRANCE?
Warhammer
August 14, 2003 04:02AM
on the first question.

Yes her power works on a 60 to 1 ratio, but if she touches a character for more than that, she has a chance of getting that power for good. BUT... she also gets the persons memorys, skills and personality as well, which can be a BAD THING... Remember Sybil? a split personality is the least of her worries, and the worst would be full blown dementia and psychosis as her own personality was drowned in a sea of other peoples ids.

That was actually why she came to the xmen in the first place, to learn to control her power to keep that from ever happening again. cause she was afraid it would eventually drive her crazy.

warhammer out...
August 14, 2003 04:12AM
Yeah, one full-fledged extra personality, along with the residual traces of God-only-knows how many others that she's absorbed over the years, could be a bit taxing mentally and emotionally.....;-)

I can resist everything except temptation--Oscar Wilde
August 14, 2003 05:55AM
I had a feeling that someone would come up as an excuse, but I think the RPG is dead wrong and the comics/OHTMU are correct. Aside from some flukes, she cannot pemanently absorb anyone's powers .

As far as her going nuts, Rogue hadn't really shown that much of the effects of Ms Marvel until later when she joined the team. , Mystique ordered her to absorb as many Avengers as she could, not regarding her safety or perhaps it was just a given she couldn't absorb powers permanently.

Someday there will be no racism.
Thats the day aliens will attack.
Then we will all hate green people.
Epyon
August 14, 2003 07:10AM
It's interesting to note that in the OHTMU, Rogue is described as being able to lift 50 tons. The OHTMU goes on to say that some other factor must have been in play when Rogue permanently absorbed the powers and memories of Ms. Marvel, since Rogue is far stronger and more impervious to injury than Ms. Marvel ever was (as I recall, Ms. Marvel's powers were roughly equivalent to those of Captain Marvel I, who could lift about 10 tons). It's also interesting that Rogue never fully developed the clairvoyant 7th sense that Ms. Marvel had. She has only limited access to that particular power.

It's interesting to note that Ms. Marvel (now called Warbird/Binary)'s powers have been in flux since she regained superhuman powers. At present, she cannot assume her Binary form, but is clearly stronger than she was when she first gained superhuman powers. In fact, I would guess that her strength and resistance to injury are roughly equal to Rogue's. Strange indeed.
August 14, 2003 09:10AM
Last I checked, when Warbird's powers stabalized could lift about 50 tons under normal conditions and nearly 100 tons if she had absorbed energy to work with. She didn't have her Ms. Marvel powers, but a reduced version of her Binary cosmic powers.
August 14, 2003 12:50PM
The answer to your first question about permanently taking the power, Rogue would have to do a psyche feat roll to maintain her persona and not the person she is touching. If she fails, the other persona would prevail with using their own powers in her body.

For example, When she touched Ms. Marvel, aka Warbird, aka Carol Danvers, not Sharon Ventura, she not only got all of her powers but her psyche as well. For the longest time, Rogue thought she really was Carol Danvers and acted as her (according Uncanny X-men issues in the 160's). It wasn't until Xavier showed her how to separate her persona from Danvers that she was in control of the powers permanently. In later issues of Uncanny X-Men, Rogue have pulled off stunts where she absorbed multiple people powers and was able to use them under her own persona.
(Done in an Uncanny X-Men Comic where she gain Storm's, Collosus's, and Nightcrawler's power temporarly) However, if she fail the psyche feat roll, she is rendered inactive due to have crowds of people controlling her.(Actually happened in the same Uncanny X-Men Comic where she fell into a crowd of people with her skin exposed.)

To answer your second question, that is Rogue prior to touching Ms. Marvel, aka Warbird, AKA Carol Danver.................

I agree, now, she should mirror Danvers since she permanently have Danvers powers.

"It doesn't matter if I win or lose. Just as long as I pissed you off" --- Morrigian, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
August 15, 2003 10:16PM
Slightly off the subject but how did Danvers go on to become Binary/Warbird.

" I kill where I wish and none dare resist. I laid low the warriors of old and their like is not in the world today. "
August 15, 2003 10:59PM
Shortly after Rogue drained her of her powers, Carol (now a powerless amnesiac) stayed with the X-Men while Professor X helped restore her memeories. Travelling with the X-Men led to her capture by the Brood, who used an evolutionary ray on her, giving her a whole new set of cosmic energy-based powers. She changed her heroic name to WArbird and joined the Starjammers for outer space adventures. Binary came back to Earth to help out during Operation: Glactic Storm and was nearly killed.
Following that, she decided to stay on Earth. After morgan LeFay hijacked the entire planet and made it her own personal fantasyland, the white hole from which Carol drew her Binary powers from began to contract. As a result, these powers began to fade, operating at a reduced level. Carol then changed her heroic name to Warbird.

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
metaphysician
August 16, 2003 09:31AM
The impression I got is that Carol still *has* her Binary powers, essentially. Its just that she no longer has a nigh-infinite energy source to fuel them. Thus, when just operating off of ambient energy, she's basically Rogue with some energy blasts. OTOH, if there are energy sources available to absorb, like a foolish enemy's energy attack. . .
August 16, 2003 04:19PM
or the power core of a conqueror's starship....

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
August 16, 2003 07:10PM
Bingo.
August 16, 2003 07:24PM
G-19
August 18, 2003 08:34AM
When Danvers Got Her Powers Back, It manifested in a higher form taking her into the Binary form. It was rumored at that time that Danvers was a mutant kree. However, that has not be confirmed. Furthermore, she can not always access the binary form at all times. The way it was explained in the Avengers after Heroes Reborn is that it a subconscience react to use the powers. People, including the Avengers, originally thought she lost the binary power due to her alcholism. But, it really a safe guard that she has subconsciencely for some reason.

"It doesn't matter if I win or lose. Just as long as I pissed you off" --- Morrigian, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
August 18, 2003 01:07PM
She's a Mutant Kree? News to me -- I've only always heard that she was exposed to a Mutation Ray made by the Kree....

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
August 18, 2003 01:32PM
She's supposed to be a human mutated by the Kree psyche-magnetron.
August 18, 2003 01:35PM
Mutant Krees is not unheard of!! Ultra Girl is a mutant kree. In the case of Danver with your example, that is how she found out she was a kree. She was mutated by the ray. However, the ray, in a way, woke her kree genetics. It was rumored that the ray at one time transferred the original Captain Mar-Vell powers to her. But later in the Ms. Marvel books, she found out that it wasn't the case. I have to research this again as far as the Binary powers. I believe it first manifested during her time with the starjammmer or some event with the starjammers. I will look more into it.

August 18, 2003 08:51PM
Dwah? I thought she was just a human mutated by a Kree Mutagenic Ray....

---------------------
Be Ex/20 to one another!
August 18, 2003 09:34PM
Notice her origin was pretty clear cut until she crossed paths w/ the X-books. Hm.

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc. Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.

Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission. This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.